• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
What are some good comparison examples of how this would look on old games? I've seen some videos on this tech but for new games and I'm not quite sure of how it would benefit classic games.

Trojan

Oct 27, 2017
This is the best news I've heard all year.

My wishlist is huge.

System Shock 2
Doom 3
Deus Ex
Half-Life 2
Unreal
Morrowind
Oblivion
Unreal Tournament 99
Quake III Arena
Mechwarrior 2/3
I would play the shit out of a remake of any titles in the first half of your list. Especially Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex.

Care less about remakes of the multiplayer titles since I think those are less reliant on graphics to get their point across.

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they were following the original art style of the game and remade what was impossible back then in ray tracing, that would be cool (if the result looks like the old game, but better), but completely changing the look of legendary games by some random/small team just for the sake of it sounds terrible to me.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Also, a small side but awesome side effect that most people won't care about- this may bring some of those older PC titles to Germany. Thanks to Q2 RTX, Quake 2 is now for the first time officially available from Steam for us <3

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
In the case of Quake II, it was free, and you can either play a few demo levels, or load your existing Quake 2 installation into the RTX version. So presumably future games would do the same, meaning you have to won/ buy them to enjoy the RTX features.
Yea, but what I'm saying is that Quake 2 RTX only happened because the source code was released.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean best your gunna get are shadows/.reflections. minecraft/quake were path traced (a form of raytracing where you use rays to render, instead of rasterization) anything past say 2000 would be to much for current raytracing.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That's pretty cool, i hope it's a bit better than Q2 RTX though, Q2 RTX didn't really have proper set lighting & the default values were poor, you have to change settings per level to get good results, making it more of an editor than a proper remaster. if they do say Half Life RTX, i hope there is proper set values & since they have a full on team now, they can likely deliver a more hand crafted RTX experience.

Nov 8, 2017
Ray tracing would be transformative in the extreme for Doom 3.

I would say so. The stencil shadows are extremely stark though, so there's a risk that an accurate lighting model with bounces from ambient sources would illuminate the world much more than the originally intended look, and the flashlight might do a much better job of lighting up things that you're not directly pointing at. It would definitely be transformative!

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Yea, but what I'm saying is that Quake 2 RTX only happened because the source code was released.

i would assume that these would largely be ports where they work with the IP owners, as they create new sales potential for these games. So they could get whatever they need in terms of assets and code from the respective partners.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
i would assume that these would largely be ports where they work with the IP owners, as they create new sales potential for these games. So they could get whatever they need in terms of assets and code from the respective partners.
That would be awesome. Either way... I'm interested in which games they'll choose.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I want: Beyond Good and Evil

I want that emulator on Switch and would buy lots of Gamecube and Wii games again (also they could bring Baten Kaitos 1-2, thesecond was never released in europe :( )

I would rather remasters of this games than emulations. For Galaxy it will would be strange anyway, one great feature was the pointer controls to collect stars, sometimes you had to do whole different things with your right and left hand, can not be reproduce with a normal gamepad, but with Joy cons it should be possible.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
SInce the sequel is an RTX title coming next year, it's time to remaster Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I will also accept the original Deus Ex, or any of the Looking Glass games (System Shock 2, Thief: TDP, Thief 2)

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather remasters of this games than emulations. For Galaxy it will would be strange anyway, one great feature was the pointer controls to collect stars, sometimes you had to do whole different things with your right and left hand, can not be reproduce with a normal gamepad, but with Joy cons it should be possible.

I would love it more for RPGs and Gamecube/Wii titles that probably won't get remasters because they weren't successfull enough. Emulating those would be cheap. But that's a bit off topic and probably won't happen anyway for non Nintendo games like Baten Kaitos so i hope for Remasters even if the chances are slim.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
really don't see the point? these games aren't photorealistic. like, having a studio working on this seems a waste? i guess it's just a marketing thing to nvidia but...still

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
really don't see the point? these games aren't photorealistic. like, having a studio working on this seems a waste? i guess it's just a marketing thing to nvidia but...still
photorealism isn't the only thing that benefits from raytracing. every cgi movie that hit the theaters now use raytracing

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Why not global illumination helped out Poe immensely. The lighting in d3 can be flat raytracing would make it more dynamic, god forbid you kill a shitload of mobs though.
Diablo 3's art style is an odd one though, focused on almost oil painted backgrounds with more realistic models in the middle of it all, it reminds me of some animated movies. Im not sure if ray tracing would work well with it but it would be fun to see more games with it.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
they can't just remaster any game they want...don't they need the developer/publisher's permission?

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Diablo 3's art style is an odd one though, focused on almost oil painted backgrounds with more realistic models in the middle of it all, it reminds me of some animated movies. Im not sure if ray tracing would work well with it but it would be fun to see more games with it.

it's not the art style it's the shadows and effects that would get the most pop.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
D3 would look fantastic with path traced global illumination and shadows, like most games.