• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
pswii60

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
🤦‍♂️

Instead of interest and discussion in the tech displayed in this demo, the thread had descended in to playground arguments. What the hell is wrong with this forum right now. It's tiring.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
^ They showed this:

EHA42cm.png

But really it's this:

RJ0Y7Yg.png

Tearaway on the Vita looked better.

I'll take a new marble game, sure. And sure, yes, the lighting can look quite nice at times but it's hardly a knock you off your feet level of amazeballs.

Maybe if it was doing a detailed fluid simulation in the ball to make up for the lack of caustics or more raytracing in-game.

Maybe shelve ray tracing for later gens guys, when it can actually look like the first image in-game. I'd rather the new power goes to framerate instead of that metal arch. 120fps for everyone.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
remember the game is being streamed, so that second shot could be of streamed footage while the first is uncompressed from the P8000

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
remember the game is being streamed, so that second shot could be of streamed footage while the first is uncompressed from the P8000

This. You can see the compresiosn artifacts on the second shot.

No doubt being rendered in real time in front of you natively, it would an experience akin to the first shot.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
A RTX 8000 isn't considerably more powerful than a 2080ti. The price tag is that of a enterprise part which is expensive because they can get away with that price on the professional sector, but price ins't relevant when it comes to performance or to be compared to consumer/gaming parts.

well also because these parts tend to have 2-3x the ram of the standard high end part with the same compute performance roughly.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
It looks incredible. It's crazy to think all the lighting is calculated in real-time on a single card. Not some hybrid-approach.

That Jensen bust though!

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
This. You can see the compresiosn artifacts on the second shot.

No doubt being rendered in real time in front of you natively, it would an experience akin to the first shot.

It's more than compression loss. The game play part of the video is missing the caustic of the shadow.

voRmmXy.png

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
It's more than compression loss. The game play part of the video is missing the caustic of the shadow.

voRmmXy.png

Maybe there wasn't even a caustic but just the metal reflecting the ball. They just carefully positioned it there to make it look like that.

Then in the gameplay portion:

rtx_marble0rk10.gif

The actual lighting does look impressive in some parts if you stop to appreciate it but... there goes all the new power.

I feel like at the moment raytracing is more for the devs at the opportunity cost of the player. Maybe in like 10 years the balance will be different for standard games.

I do want this though, just not really in a first or even third person shooter. Make the marble rtx game please. And crank that shit up. And make the 3000 series have beastly rtx performance. Add fluid simulation to a marble too. And a GPU to run it well for the price of a PS5. Then I'll clap.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I know these was on a next gen quattro card but it's a good sign for the next gen of cards coming up of what we are getting closer too. I know this is a demo and we aren't going to hit this with the next gen of cards for games but does show us getting alot closer to something like this.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
The caustics are clearly missing in the gameplay video and that's a shame. Nevertheless it still looks incredible, these stills are something else.
And here I am, waiting 15mn for my frame to render in V-ray...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know these was on a next gen quattro card but it's a good sign for the next gen of cards coming up of what we are getting closer too. I know this is a demo and we aren't going to hit this with the next gen of cards for games but does show us getting alot closer to something like this.
current gen Quadro RTX 8000, actually, which is on par with a Titan. if Ampere is as big a jump as rumored, then it'll be surpassed but the 3080

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Thought this playable tech demo was incredible (timestamped - begins at 9m47s):

Obviously the focus on this demo is lighting and the use of AI. And (thanks to ray-tracing) it is truly phenomenal, everything looks so realistic.

Worth pointing out however that this is being played real-time on a Nvidia Quadro RTX 8000 GPU. You can buy one but they're £6k! But GPUs offering this level of performance won't be that expensive forever.

Certainly gives us a glimpse at the future in terms of how ray-tracing can affect lighting.

Oh my!! I need Kororinpa with this tech.

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, most impressed by the assets than anything. In stills it looks great, but in movement it just looks fine.

VirtuaCider

May 15, 2020

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
not sure why that matters really. RDR2 was made by 3000 people. am i not allowed to say i liked it more than No man's sky which was made by 20 people working on procedurally created planets?

they should've just taken the UE5 demo, and render it using ray tracing. give us a direct comparison. i dont see this demo being indicative of next gen at all. its just a fancy tech demo.
You're missing the reason why the demo is exciting. Viable and performant ray tracing next gen means the bar in terms of time and budget for achieving photorealistic graphics has been lowered dramatically.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh! So AI denoising? That hasn't been used earlier, has it?
yea it has. that's the basis for Nvidia's denoising. probably improves accuracy with every driver update. the kicker is if that denoising application is now running on tensor cores instead of the shader cores

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
yea it has. that's the basis for Nvidia's denoising. probably improves accuracy with every driver update. the kicker is if that denoising application is now running on tensor cores instead of the shader cores

Is it though? From what I've heard Nvidia's denoising is currently using more traditional algorithms, while the AI solution remains in the lab.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019

It's tongue in cheek. It is very nice I just wish the gpus could handle more raytracing so it would be playable closer to the high quality images they show. Raytracing at the level it's at now (outside of minecraft) can still be challenged with good faked lighting and in a game where responsiveness really matters (eg first person, and some third person) I'd much rather have the framerate. I want more games hitting high framerates, not 60fps. They sold us these high framerate monitors and I got a taste for it. And I don't want it to look like shit with raytracing off.

I want the marble game though. Also, very nice modelling.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's tongue in cheek. It is very nice I just wish the gpus could handle more raytracing so it would be playable closer to the high quality images they show. Raytracing at the level it's at now (outside of minecraft) can still be challenged with good faked lighting and in a game where responsiveness really matters (eg first person, and some third person) I'd much rather have the framerate. I want more games hitting high framerates, not 60fps. They sold us these high framerate monitors and I got a taste for it.

I want the marble game though. Also, very nice modelling.
I don't think we'll ever not be challenged by faked lighting. but if devs don't have to jump through as many hoops, then they'll definitely go for RT than faked methods.