• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Thought this playable tech demo was incredible (timestamped - begins at 9m47s):

Obviously the focus on this demo is lighting and the use of AI. And (thanks to ray-tracing) it is truly phenomenal, everything looks so realistic.

Worth pointing out however that this is being played real-time on a Nvidia Quadro RTX 8000 GPU. You can buy one but they're £6k! But GPUs offering this level of performance won't be that expensive forever.

Certainly gives us a glimpse at the future in terms of how ray-tracing can affect lighting.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yea looks nuts.

tumblr_nz0mnpHeEc1t0oqv2o1_500.gif

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
meh. UE5 demo was much better. i think im done with these fancy tech demos. show me what real games might look like with ray tracing.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
Ray tracing is definitely the future. But I wonder how much of it is near future vs future future. I'm so glad GI is finally getting it's time to shine(pun intended).

Early this gen, voxel cone tracing showed so much promise, but ultimately proved to not be feasible for most games on console.

(this is an old PC demo which you can even download and try yourself, supports 2 bounces, and real glossy reflections based on the voxels)

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is it just me or was the actual gameplay footage way less impressive than the cinematic camera shots? Almost seemed like some effects or even RT were missing.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
All I could think of watching that: what an expensive-looking kitchen.

My cooker hood is encased in a freaking marble sculpture, you plebians.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pswii60

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Is it just me or was the actual gameplay footage way less impressive than the cinematic camera shots? Almost seemed like some effects or even RT were missing.
I think that's just the YouTube compression, the image quality takes a massive hit with compression artefacts as soon as there's motion, compared to the stills at the beginning. Look at 11m20s, probably the most impressive part in motion with those silver balls etc.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I never heard Jensen Huang talk before. Has he always talked like this? Not throwing shade or anything but the way he speaks has Apple presentation style vibes.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more interested on how this stuff will run on the lower end RTX cards like the 2070 I have since I'm really not in the mood to upgrade my card again in the next 1-2 years.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never heard Jensen Huang talk before. Has he always talked like this? Not throwing shade or anything but the way he speaks has Apple presentation style vibes.

Jensen is actually pretty genuine about his company's strives in the industry and really appreciates his team. The dude is really excited about his company. His employees really love the company and him as a CEO. When he actually does live presentations, it's kind of funny seeing him wanting to chime in constantly when other presenters are on stage. At first it was cringe. But after watching more keynotes, you just see that the man is just passionate.

It's part of the reason the dude is still the head of his company after almost 30 years.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Jensen is actually pretty genuine about his company's strives in the industry and really appreciates his team. The dude is really excited about his company. His employees really love the company and him as a CEO. When he actually does live presentations, it's kind of funny seeing him wanting to chime in constantly when other presenters are on stage. At first it was cringe. But after watching more keynotes, you just see that the man is just passionate.

It's part of the reason the dude is still the head of his company after almost 30 years.

Yeah. His excitement is palpable which reminded me of Apple's presentations. I'm also impressed with how they managed to summarize so much into digestible chunks. I'm currently watching the HPC and Data Analytics video and they're doing a good job of telling me why their stuff matters.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was better about the UE5 demo? This is infinitely more impressive.
the flying section. this is just another photorealistic demo we have seen from modders over the last few years. just type in UE4 photorealism in youtube and you will get dozens of videos of photorealistic indoor environments like this.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah. His excitement is palpable which reminded me of Apple's presentations. I'm also impressed with how they managed to summarize so much into digestible chunks. I'm currently watching the HPC and Data Analytics video and they're doing a good job of telling me why their stuff matters.
He didn't cut anyone's pay either during this crisis, in fact a lot of people got raises.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
the flying section. this is just another photorealistic demo we have seen from modders over the last few years. just type in UE4 photorealism in youtube and you will get dozens of videos of photorealistic indoor environments like this.
This demo is to show off ray tracing. The way the light interacts with objects (especially the marble) is insanely impressive.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

The level of impressiveness scales 1:1 with the amount of PS5 logos shown. So here we're at a 0.

No you won't. You're even more transparent than the marble.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
meh. UE5 demo was much better. i think im done with these fancy tech demos. show me what real games might look like with ray tracing.
lol
This demo was made more or less during the quarantine period by a handful of people. It is a showcase for a collaborate working environment in the cloud utilising Ray tracing, about efficiency of distrubuted working.

I believe it took many many many more people (i read thousands?) and 3 years of rendering research to make the UE5 demo.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
That marble demo was genuinely really impressive, but I'm left wondering what Jensen needs so many spatulas for:

HohVjPh.png

Yeah, also the marble shrine above his stove. If I try hard enough, I might think it's all green-screen magic, and everything is real time ray-tracing on a single RTX 3080.

Oct 27, 2017
Raytracing is obviously amazing for achieving photorealism. The reason I think people are so much more wowed by the UE5 demo is due to the level of geometry, physics, animation, and general level of interactivity relayed by what they are doing there. Those are things that I think are actually more important to video games in particular than hyper realistic lighting. Add the level of raytracing seen in this marble rtx video on top though, then we'll basically be playing pixar movies for video games.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol
This demo was made more or less during the quarantine period by a handful of people. It is a showcase for a collaborate working environment in the cloud utilising Ray tracing, about efficiency of distrubuted working.

It took thousands of people and 3 years of rendering research to make the UE5 demo.
not sure why that matters really. RDR2 was made by 3000 people. am i not allowed to say i liked it more than No man's sky which was made by 20 people working on procedurally created planets?

they should've just taken the UE5 demo, and render it using ray tracing. give us a direct comparison. i dont see this demo being indicative of next gen at all. its just a fancy tech demo.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hmm... you do realize what was shown was beyond just it being a photo realistic environment? You must have watched the video on mute.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I mean one was an over the shoulder demo with a big set piece at the end so wtf is a marble gonna do amirite

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people always need to compare everything, jesus.

This is mighty impressive, the UE5 demo was mighty impressive, let's all just enjoy this new era of real-time rendering that is coming to bless us all.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see this tech coupled with UE5.

The various materials in this little game demo looked fantastic.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Very charming demo and the lighting behaviour is very natural.

That's also a silly opinion. For me personally, the nanite tech they demonstrated is easily as impressive as ray tracing.Geometry is still a big limiter this gen, and this type of tech is huge step up.

tATu

Alt Account
Mar 18, 2020
The low resolution is because it's supposed to be a demo of a game running live in a dev environment, right?

Oct 29, 2017
not sure why that matters really. RDR2 was made by 3000 people. am i not allowed to say i liked it more than No man's sky which was made by 20 people working on procedurally created planets?

they should've just taken the UE5 demo, and render it using ray tracing. give us a direct comparison. i dont see this demo being indicative of next gen at all. its just a fancy tech demo.
You can be sure they will have demos designed to impress gamers on their keynotes directed at gamers. Otherwise they weren't even strictly demoing RTX on this one.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive, really looks photo-realistic.

Why are people comparing this to the UE5 demo though...two completely different demos running on different devices for a very different purpose.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very nice, them having to show it off on a small scale marble game speaks volumes about how long it'll take for this to find its way to AAA open world games...

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
I wonder how much single GPU like that cost for companies, you can't even compare it to unreal engine demo