• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia is fucking mess.

How exactly would they price this card?
Are they just going to say fuck all yall 3080 and 3090 users and price the Ti at 3080 pricing bring everything down a tier, because paying alot more just to beat the 6800XT is bullshit.

Is the 6800 killing 3070Ti still a thing, because right now thats what im most attracted to unless the 3080 gets a price drop.

Im of the camp 10GB is enough.....i just want as much value for money on gaming and CUDA performance as I can get.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
After the 20GB 3080 rumors I think I'll hold off on believing this for now. Even if true, the likely price jump will not match up to the performance difference for 95% of users.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Should I feel bad for my 3070 purchase? The idea of getting a 6700 XT instead has crossed my mind multiple times. But I don't want to deal with AMD drivers lol

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
This card going to cost at least 1000 bucks. Getting a 3080 for mrsp is impossible since availability is still atrocious. We are back to Turing prices.

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
Unless someone is a typical hardcore PC gamer *ugh* who detests having to go below the highest settings when their are other people out there who don't have to go below those highest settings due to having a better machine then you should just chill.

It's all crazy town. Anyone who games at 1440p or won't mind taking 30 seconds on first boot of a new game to move a couple of sliders etc or who doesn't get penis envy coz someone can get 60fps at ultra whilst you have to go down to very high 60fps, then you should just chill.

Even gamers with 2000 series cards who don't get caught up in the madness will be gaming very nice for the next few years.

If you want to get caught up in the PC master race race then beware. That way madness leads.

Anyone with any of these new cards with 8GB and above, you will game sweet for years. All these posts saying I'm selling my 3070 or god forbid, a 3080. WTF man.

I'm well into crazy town mind. 3080ti ftw :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
We don't even have benchmarks signifying any difference these VRAM amounts are making yet. Are people just trying to make themselves feel better that they couldn't get a card? I don't blame them if they are.

Yeah, it feels like sour grapes right now.

If RAM size does become a consistent problem, I don't expect it to be right away. We're gonna be getting cross-gen games for a while yet.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
This card makes no sense. Who exactly are you selling this to? Unless you think a $300 price reduction will suddenly make the 3090 sell better? Seems like a waste of time tbh.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
How many times does it have to be repeated that people buy graphics cards to play games for many years. (4 years was the average upgrade cycle? I forgot)

When I bought 1080Ti, games barely used more than 4GB at the time. And look how situation changed in just 3.5 years. 8GB+ usage is becoming the norm at just 1440p, not even talking about 4K, where 10GB seems to be the new sweet spot, slowing crawling to 12GB.

So I'm not sure what benchmarks you are waiting for here. Of course benchmarks on GPU release day hardly ever show any bottlenecks, these only become apparent over time.

And if you need already existing examples, look no further than Fury X 4GB, which aged horribly because of VRAM limitation.
For the most part people keep their cards for a while, but most people also aren't trying to push max settings all the time. Out of the 7-10 PC gamers I personally know, over half of them are just trying to run games at 1080p 30fps.

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This launch has been a complete disaster, and the constant stream of rumors outlining 47 different alternative SKUs before stock is even close to normalizing on the existing product isn't making it any better.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
There's my card.

Goodbye 2080ti, you were expensive and became a meme but at the end of the day I got nearly two years of the absolute best gameplay any game machine could provide.

My body is ready.

the good games making full use of a 2080ti have yet to come out.

But this is a bit of a dumb move by Nvidia, I was told 12GB is the maximum possible addressable upper limit for GPUs?
Didn't anybody tell them about DLSS?
Seems like an amateur move if you ask me...

/s

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
@Gatti-man

It makes sense in so much as it's a reply to AMD and their vRAM.

It's the 3090 that doesn't make sense.

This seems like a course correction. Expect there to be not much in it with regards to gaming performance vs a 3090, especially if it's on a 7nm fab.

It's what happens to the 3090 if this releases that's the twizzler. As has been mentioned in this thread, they can't fully position it as a Titan as it's nerfed for that purpose. Fuck knows but it seems like a failed experiment or something, aiming it at content creators and gamers perhaps. It's an odd card.

Last edited:

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I am very curious to see how this fares technically and is priced. I'm interested in a long-term PC upgrade, but the idea of spending upwards of a grand on a single component is nuts to me.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If you can wait until the 4080 drops

I dont see it playing out like that.

AMD have come with the heat, and Nvidia are clearly scrambling....a price drop is a quick and dirty solution.

Releasing a 6800XT killer at much more than the 6800XT isnt really a logical comeback.

But if the 3080 were priced closer or matching the 6800XT even without the VRAM we could have something to talk about.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This will be $999 and compete with the 6900XT?

Watching Nvidia just squirt out random GPU SKUs in response to Big Navi has been some nice schadenfreude

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I wish AMD had their DLSS solution ready to go, so the two could be compared. I want DLSS, but I also want more VRAM...

(Plus, it'd be nice to see their price-equivalent 3070 competitor..)

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
I own a 3080

I also have 3 months to return my 3080, 10GB isn't enough for 4 years
Then why buy it? You already knew it wasn't sufficient before owning it.
How many times does it have to be repeated that people buy graphics cards to play games for many years. (4 years was the average upgrade cycle? I forgot)

When I bought 1080Ti, games barely used more than 4GB at the time. And look how situation changed in just 3.5 years. 8GB+ usage is becoming the norm at just 1440p, not even talking about 4K, where 10GB seems to be the new sweet spot, slowing crawling to 12GB.

So I'm not sure what benchmarks you are waiting for here. Of course benchmarks on GPU release day hardly ever show any bottlenecks, these only become apparent over time.

And if you need already existing examples, look no further than Fury X 4GB, which aged horribly because of VRAM limitation.
This is essentially the same as those "keep waiting" suggestions for something years out. How can you say that 10GB is the current sweet spot when nothing has been shown that it is? You say the average upgrade cycle is 4 years. Will you be saying these 16GB and 20GB VRAM cards were a mistake? I mean, of course there will always be something better, but why act like the 3080 is not sufficient when nothing has been shown that it isn't?

Not to mention you're basing this entire argument because of a rumor and what the competitor has.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Then why buy it? You already knew it wasn't sufficient before owning it.
1) Got it at RRP (ÂŁ649)
2) Sold the Watch dogs/12 month Geforce now codes for ÂŁ45 total
3) Sold my 2080 for ÂŁ450 cash in hand

So I paid ÂŁ155 to upgrade to a 3080, I can't really complain but I'd like to have that peace of mind

Relly

Banned
Oct 19, 2019
I could not care for the extra vram. With amd being so close to nvidia. We could see some amazing cards next year. So il keep my 3080 for this year and get the 4080 ti next year.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Videocardz is getting sloppy, starting to just report on every single rumor. I guess the WCCF model is too lucrative.

I'm also rolling my eyes at the loaded narrative being pushed against the RTX 3080.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Should I feel bad for my 3070 purchase? The idea of getting a 6700 XT instead has crossed my mind multiple times. But I don't want to deal with AMD drivers lol
I mentioned it in the "10GB is enough" thread, but I've recently been running into VRAM limits with my 8GB 1070.
For example: Half-Life: Alyx throws up memory warnings unless I close most other programs running on the system first - particularly welcome web browsers. And this is before we get next-gen games which push up VRAM usage.
Though I'm sure the 3070 is a good card, I don't upgrade frequently enough to be content with a GPU which is just scraping by on VRAM. More than the performance numbers themselves one of the worse things about VRAM limitations is that it can result in stuttering.
NVIDIA should be doubling it on these cards.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem to make sense to me. The 3090 has more VRAM and costs what? $1500? What price point are they going for here? With the performance difference between the 3080 and the 3090 being actually comparatively small, I'm really not sure where this model card would actually fit in their lineup...

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Just a week ago 3080 was the holy grail GPU everyone wanted but no one could get.

Today it's supposedly trash tier and outdated the day it shipped.

I'll be happy using it for a few years.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
3080ti with 20gb would have to be $1000. Not sure why they even need to do that.

I'm annoyed that it's impossible to find a 3090. How big is the market for $1500+ video cards.

It's ridiculous. 3080 shortages? fine. Cards that cost twice as much. Come the fuck on. Let me just buy a 3090FE and be done with this shit.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Good news. Glad I followed my instinct and did not bother with the 3070 or 3080. Way too low memory and that is a red flag for me. Knew they were going to release another card with more memory. No way they were going to just release the 3070 and 3080 2 cards with just 8GB and 10GB of memory. That would be terrible marketing and way too low.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I could not care for the extra vram. With amd being so close to nvidia. We could see some amazing cards next year. So il keep my 3080 for this year and get the 4080 ti next year.

If you really mean 4080Ti that would make it Hopper dGPU, those are coming 2022. If you mean 3080Ti then yeah, most likely 2021 if it materializes from Twitter rumors.

I'm also rolling my eyes at the loaded narrative being pushed against the RTX 3080.

That narrative got quickly going when it was revealed to be 10GB VRAM card, it's just being constantly fed with stuff like Godfall 12GB stuff.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Videocardz is getting sloppy, starting to just report on every single rumor. I guess the WCCF model is too lucrative.

They reporting the same source prior to the mess Nvidia put themselves in. Not the source fault if Nvidia is just trying to find a way get out an 3080ti model... amongst others.

Nov 2, 2017
As a 3080 owner:

311340_20200503085314_1.png

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
They reporting the same source prior to the mess Nvidia put themselves in. Not the source fault if Nvidia is just trying to find a way get out an 3080ti model... amongst others.
They've now reported on two different 3080 Tis, two different 3070 Tis, this not even getting into dropping a post for every wildly inaccurate Twitter post leading up to Ampere's announcement.

It's not so easy to blame Nvidia and not the "sources", when Nvidia has never announced or projected anything being reported.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
If it's basically a 3090 minus 4 GB, they're just killing the 3090. Not that there's a lot of margin between the 3080 and 3090...just shows how bad the value is for the 3090.
exactly, the 3090 never made any sense as as "gaming" card to begin with. They just wanted to charge more for their high end gaming card basically and the only way to do that without further pissing off their fanbase would be to create the 3090, and release the 3080Ti down the line if AMD competes in performance.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Doubt this shows anytime soon if at all with those specs. Makes no sense in the line up. Just another rumor on top of dozens.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
And how is that relevant for NVIDIA? They want to make money and the competitor placed a option in the $ 1000 range that people will buy.
I suppose it should be expected in 6 months then, like the 1080 Ti following Titan X Pascal.

Nvidia isn't going to EOL the 3090 before they've even filled the initial demand.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
They've now reported on two different 3080 Tis, two different 3070 Tis, this not even getting into dropping a post for every wildly inaccurate Twitter post leading up to Ampere's announcement.

It's not so easy to blame Nvidia and not the "sources", when Nvidia has never announced or projected anything being reported.

So we gonna just cancel leaking then. Ampere leak's by this source where on point so what we do now, waiting for official annoucements?