• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
FFS too many pages, had to tap out after page four.

Good! Can't wait for it.
Anyone know when the next Ryzen will be available?
I think i will have to buy the rtx 3080ti/3090 and wait a few months to build my new pc!
Probably October/November. Like with their video cards, the AMD ship has been pretty tight from leaks since they fired their previous marketing team apparently.
xx80 Ti at launch again? I hope that isn't a sign that the 3080 is roughly the same as the 2080 Ti. Don't want a repeat of this...
The 3080 is said to be 20-30% faster than the 2080Ti along with being significantly more capable of ray tracing as all the 3000 series RTX cards are supposed to be.
So I think if the 3080 ti/ 3090 comes out, it means that Navi 2x card is also on the way this year too.
They also have a Titan too, wonder how cut down the 3080 Ti will be vs the Titan.
I think they're going to be pushing Titan further into being "cheap" workstation GPUs and probably still only slightly with less VRAM.

That's where I am too. I got a new PC in March which has an i9-9900 and 2070 Super and I'm keen to see how much of a shit the 30s are as I otherwise might keep my current setup for another while.
The 3070 is supposedly going to be near 2080Ti performance with much better RT capability. If you really want you might be able to sell the 2070S for about what you paid for it if you have a card that you could use as a placeholder.
Okay so my current setup is a 1440p 144hz g sync monitor, 16GB ram and an OC 8700k.... i was hoping to maybe squeeze by on this gen with the 1080ti, but perhaps a mini upgrade to a used 2070 just to take advantage of DLS is a good shout....

Oof... that would suck. Hope that doesn't happen.
When the next gen starts getting rolling late next year and into 2022 it'll be time to rebuild. A 2070 wouldn't be much of an upgrade, you could sell your 1080Ti now, if you can and put it towards a 3070.

thanks guys. Built this thing two months ago this is what I think my PC feels like whenever something new is announced

1WYZrao.gif

because apparently anytime is the worst time to build a new PC apparently.

I just hope this can run Cyberpunk well.
It's been a bad time to build since at least April, many of us have been saying it because of the new generation of video cards coming out in the Fall after ~2 years of the same architecture on NV's end along with the new generation of CPUs though to a lesser extent. Never mind how covid has screwed with the prices of some components.
24GB VRAM for a gaming card it is an overkill and even worst adds a significant cost for a feature that it will not be used except from heavily modded games in high resolutions and maybe on some rare exceptions on a few games with wild ultra settings.

Next gen consoles will have about 12GB VRAM to use and most PC gamers will still have 8GB or even lower VRAM cards. Most developers will not use the extra VRAM of this (rumored) card.
24 GB VRAM seems...an overkill?

Which game will ever require this amount? It's kinda like 32 GB RAM, that's too much for gaming.
I had a lot more written but this reminds me of the "you'll be fine with 4GB of RAM and 2GB VRAM for gaming" talk that was still going on from some after the PS4 and XBO's specs were revealed. What's fine today may not be in two-three years for games after developers transition to a new minimum target, especially at 4K+. RAM/VRAM aside it's especially going to be rough on the CPU end. I'm planning at least a 8C/16T Zen 3 build (probably with a 3080) after the CPUs are out and I don't expect it to hold up nearly as long as my 2500K has/did for games because of how much harder things are going to be pushed this time around. If I could I'd hold off another two or three years just so I could build a PC with DDR5 and enough advancements to pretty much guarantee better than console settings at 60+ FPS in games designed around ~4K@30FPS.

While I'm pretty sure the 24GB card in 2020 is targeted at the "prosumer" level workstation card again and isn't the 3090/3080Ti, NVIDIA has traditionally been restrained on their VRAM inclusion but 24GB is going to hit consumer level eventually in this new generation even if as a work around to brute force the new consoles' I/O customizations, never mind exploiting the CPU resources afforded to them. I think you're underestimating how much this new generation could push PC requirements unless you're actually aiming for sub-PS5/XSX settings at 30FPS in 2023.

EDIT: And yes, of course there's rendering that could easily east up that VRAM.

Last edited:

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
The PS5 and XSX are trying to do away with level loading in game design with dedicated hardware for texture and geometry streaming backed by NVME flash, beyond the 12ish GB VRAM they're expected to have. I think AMD is more likely to do something with this in their next few PC GPUs, but anyways, I think we're going to see a whole new level of potential VRAM usage over this next generation.
That UE5 demo on the PC for example.. waaaaaaay more than 10GB. Obviously many on the PC side we have XSX-like bandwidth on our NVME drives if present, but its all over the place with speed and latency and shared with OS etc. Thats if you even have NVME and not SATA. And there are lots of slower NVME drives like the Intel 6xxp series etc. Having more VRAM is essentially like a larger buffer for streaming, with less stuttering etc., but long term hopefully there's another solution like a GPU dedicated NVME buffer to lower the need for consumers to have that much VRAM. Could games use it to improve your experience? That's a whole other story.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Sitting on my tax refund ready to pour it into a 3080ti. NVIDIA I'm so thirsty. Please!

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I really hope the 3080ti has 20GB VRAM or at least more than 12GB. I play mod heavy games @4k and have been forced to hold back on some mods because of VRAM limitations. So more the better I say
I've never felt limited by 11GB, and I mod the shit outta my stuff, and use Texture Caching with Special K to use even more VRAM, what are you doing to run into the limit?

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
My current PSU is 850W (80 plus gold). That should be enough I assume? I just hope the 3080 Ti isn't anywhere near 1500$...
I'm just afraid of adding a new power supply to the cost mix...currently an RTX 2070 Super asks for a 650W the 8pin+6pin, if you go 3080 or Ti...well...might want to go PSU hunting now

You guys are more than fine. It's more about if you are running heavy OC'ed CPU especially from Intel (like a 9900k), and there you might want some room indeed.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
You guys are more than fine. It's more about if you are running heavy OC'ed CPU especially from Intel (like a 9900k), and there you might want some room indeed.

I'm "at spec" (650W) so its something I need to consider though. The 3600 is hardly a power guzzler but who knows how Ryzen 4000 will go with higher core counts.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
The PS5 and XSX are trying to do away with level loading in game design with dedicated hardware for texture and geometry streaming backed by NVME flash, beyond the 12ish GB VRAM they're expected to have. I think AMD is more likely to do something with this in their next few PC GPUs, but anyways, I think we're going to see a whole new level of potential VRAM usage over this next generation.
That UE5 demo on the PC for example.. waaaaaaay more than 10GB. Obviously many on the PC side we have XSX-like bandwidth on our NVME drives if present, but its all over the place with speed and latency and shared with OS etc. Thats if you even have NVME and not SATA. And there are lots of slower NVME drives like the Intel 6xxp series etc. Having more VRAM is essentially like a larger buffer for streaming, with less stuttering etc., but long term hopefully there's another solution like a GPU dedicated NVME buffer to lower the need for consumers to have that much VRAM. Could games use it to improve your experience? That's a whole other story.

I think some of us are thinking system RAM might be what handles "streaming" lots of data, by dumping it into RAM and leaving it there. Regardless of your hard drive, it would just write the game data into RAM then leave it quickly accessible after that initial load. Guess it depends how big games will be next gen though, but RAM is getting cheaper.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
You guys are insane if you think you are getting more than 12GB of VRAM in the 2080 Ti equivalent in a product that costs $1k. Hell, I'd be surprised if they actually gave us all 12 memory controllers and not 11 again. Are you really expecting to get 22GB of GDDR6X?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are insane if you think you are getting more than 12GB of VRAM in the 2080 Ti equivalent in a product that costs $1k. Hell, I'd be surprised if they actually gave us all 12 memory controllers and not 11 again. Are you really expecting to get 22GB of GDDR6X?
I don't see why not

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
"Too much" means it will hurt it. It won't. Cost is the only substantial negative. I game on a 24GB card (with 128GB of DRAM) and it is glorious to know that I'm nowhere nearing running low (particularly for games that show you how much VRAM you're using).

Of course, that much isn't necessary for optimal gaming in 2020, but it certainly doesn't hurt.
Dual rank memory is harder on memory controllers than single rank memory. So actually, yes, in theory I can overclock my 2080Ti memory frequency higher than I could on your Titan.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
We have been stuck with 11 gb for 3,5 years, time to move up

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It would be far less than 12GB VRAM, SX has 13GB's available to it & even current gen games tend to require 2-3GB's of RAM.
It would be interesting if Guerrilla Games can give us a presentation about HZD2's requirements, KZ Shadow Fall gave us an idea about what PS4 games would be using & it was correct about how games would start requiring 3GB's of VRAM to be maxed.
The NVME makes it more complicated this time, but the speed of it is single lane DDR2 levels, i still have doubts it can be used as a giant VRAM pool.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
The cost of adding 12 more 1GB 14Gbps memory chips in 2019 was approx $140. This doesn't count the cost for the the extra memory controller, and ROP's and silicon required, just the memory chips themselves. The rumour is that they are now using 18Gbps chips, these will only be even more expensive. And there is not currently any games that can show any actual performance limitation from "only" 11GB. If you use your card for prosumer activities, then get a Titan.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cost of adding 12 more 1GB 14Gbps memory chips in 2019 was approx $140. This doesn't count the cost for the the extra memory controller, and ROP's and silicon required, just the memory chips themselves. The rumour is that they are now using 18Gbps chips, these will only be even more expensive. And there is not currently any games that can show any actual performance limitation from "only" 11GB. If you use your card for prosumer activities, then get a Titan.
And Nvidia is slapping a $100+ cooler on their next top end card. I don't think they're too fussy about the cost if it's for a halo product. They aren't aiming to sell a lot of these in the first place. But they'll want something for even Titan owners to upgrade to, so a cut down version of that (including reduced memory) for a gaming halo is a reasonable expectation

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
21 days will take you to the end of August, start of September, on the dot.

Dunno what the 21 years is supposed to reference.

EDIT: Scratch that. 21 years will be this year from the date of the very first GeForce GPU (1999). Not technically Nvidia's first card (eg: TNT came first), but the first GeForce will be 21 years old.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The 3080 is said to be 20-30% faster than the 2080Ti along with being significantly more capable of ray tracing as all the 3000 series RTX cards are supposed to be.

The 3070 is supposedly going to be near 2080Ti performance with much better RT capability. If you really want you might be able to sell the 2070S for about what you paid for it if you have a card that you could use as a placeholder.

So the expected relative power levels for Ampere are:

3080 Ti / 3090 - 50% faster than 2080 Ti.
3080 - 25% faster than 2080 Ti.
3070 - Equal to 2080 Ti.
3060 - Equal to 2080.
3050 - Equal to 2070.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really on the edge. I usually just do consoles but I might build a PC instead of getting an xbox this year.

Will everyone make fun of me if I just use my controller to play PC games 90% of the time? LOL

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Quick question:

What would you do if you had money for the PC (while currently having an Haswell i5, and if you wanted a Ryzen 4000 cpu):

a) Get the 30XX gpu when it releases, risking bottleneck
b) Wait for AMD to release their 4000 line up and get everything at the same time.

I really need advice on this cos Idk what to do.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question:

What would you do if you had money for the PC (while currently having an Haswell i5, and if you wanted a Ryzen 4000 cpu):

a) Get the 30XX gpu when it releases, risking bottleneck
b) Wait for AMD to release their 4000 line up and get everything at the same time.

I really need advice on this cos Idk what to do.
I'm in that exact situation and I'm going with A. my i5 is enough for 60fps at least