• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
OO9B4Hp.png

Nvidia GeForce Now |OT|

Release date: February 4th, 2020 (full public release)
Apps available on: Windows, macOS, Android, Android TV
Web streaming available on: Chromebook, iOS

Official website
App download links for all platforms
Web streaming link for Chromebook and iOS
Full release blog post

What is GeForce Now?
From Nvidia:

Nvidia's Phil Eisler said:
More than 1.2 billion players have made the PC the world's largest gaming platform, yet only a fraction have a modern PC with the power to play their favorite games.

GeForce NOW lets you use the cloud to join in. It's the power to play PC games anywhere, on any device — even the billion devices that aren't game ready. You're upgrading to a state-of-the-art gaming rig by virtually adding a GeForce graphics card to your PC, Mac, SHIELD or Android phone.

Just like the PC, GeForce NOW is an open platform. It's powered by our world-class GPU architecture and uses our Game Ready Drivers for the best performance. And, because these are real PC games, GeForce NOW gives you the precision of keyboard and mouse gaming, as well as optimizations for game controllers.

It's an opportunity for you to connect to the millions of gamers online and join your friends in your favorite PC communities. Most importantly, it instantly connects you to the games you already own on the digital game stores you own them on, or the latest free-to-play game everyone is playing.

What are the requirements to play?
From Nvidia's website:

Nvidia said:

MACOS

Your macOS must be 10.11 or higher. Users on macOS 10.10 can read this knowledge base article for more information.

INTERNET REQUIREMENTS

GeForce NOW requires at least 15Mbps for 720p at 60 FPS and 25Mbps for 1080p at 60 FPS. We also require less than 80ms latency from an NVIDIA data center. However, for the best experience, we recommend less than 40ms. Please read this knowledge base article on how to test your network.

RECOMMENDED FOR GEFORCE NOW RTX 3080 MEMBERSHIP
GeForce NOW requires at least 35Mbps for streaming up to 1440p for most iMacs or 1600p for most MacBooks at 120 FPS. We also recommend a hardwired Ethernet connection, or a 5GHz wireless router.
Note: GeForce NOW RTX 3080 memberships will not be available in all data centers at launch. Please check the Regional Availability website for more details.
If your MacBook or notebook doesn't have an Ethernet port, you may need to use an Ethernet adapter. Please see this knowledge base article for a list of tested adapters.

KEYBOARDS AND MICE

Most built-in or USB keyboards work fine.
We recommend a USB gaming mouse for PC and Mac. Mac users should look for a dedicated gaming mouse as the Apple Magic Mouse doesn't have dedicated left/right buttons and a scroll wheel, which are usually needed for games. Logitech and Razer offer many different options.

MONITORS

Most monitors work fine for all membership types.

120 FPS streaming will require a monitor that supports at least 120Hz, such as NVIDIA G-Sync Monitors or a MacBook Pro 14" or 16" with ProMotion 120Hz refresh rate. You must connect to the monitor using an HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, Thunderbolt 1/2/3, USB-C, or USB 4 connector. Your system may require an additional adapter, or cable, to connect to the monitor. Any adapter used must support DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 2.0. Please read this knowledge base article for more information.

GAMEPADS

• All Microsoft Xbox Wireless controllers using Bluetooth or USB wired
  • Microsoft Xbox 360 connected USB wired
  • Sony PS5 DualSense connected using Bluetooth or USB wired
  • Sony DualShock 4 connected using Bluetooth or USB wired
  • Logitech Gamepad F310/F510/F710
    • Note: you must change the controller to work in (Direct input mode)
    • Note: the nano-receiver must be connected to a USB port that delivers enough power, such as a powered USB hub or an iMac/MacBook USB port
  • SteelSeries Nimbus
Additional gamepads may work with GeForce NOW. Some require additional drivers and/or software updates to properly function.

MAC HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS

Any Mac system introduced in 2009 or later, up to 1080p 60 FPS streaming.

Any Mac system introduced in 2012 or later, up to 1440p (QHD) or 1600p (WQXGA), and up to 120 FPS streaming.

What are the membership options?
There are three different memberships currently available for new users at the time of this writing:
  • Free Membership
    • $0.00 per month
    • Allows access to all of your games supported by GeForce Now
    • Allows you to play a game for up to one hour. After the hour, your game will be closed, and any unsaved progress will be lost. However, you can immediately go back into the game if you wish, with no limit on how many games you play or sessions you start.
  • Priority Membership
    • $9.99 USD per month, or $49.99 USD for six months
      • Founders members retain the original pricing of $4.99 USD per month as long as their subscription doesn't lapse
    • Gives you queue priority when starting a game
    • Allows you to use RTX in supported games
    • Supports up to 1080p and 60 FPS
    • Allows for you to play a game for up to six hours. After the six hours end, your game will be closed, and any unsaved progress will be lost. However, you can immediately go back into the game if you wish, with no limit on how many games you play or sessions you start.
  • RTX 3080 Membership
    • $19.99 USD per month, or $99.99 USD for six months
      • Founders members will receive 10 percent off the subscription price, and can also revert to a Priority membership without losing their Founders status as long as there is no lapse in subscription
    • Gives you exclusive access to RTX 3080 servers
    • Allows you to use RTX in supported games
    • Supports up to 1440p and 120 FPS on PC and most iMacs
    • Supports up to 1600p and 120 FPS on most MacBooks
    • Supports up to 4K on Nvidia Shield TV 4K HDR devices
    • Supports up to 120 FPS on select Android devices
    • Allows for you to play a game for up to eight hours. After the eight hours end, your game will be closed, and any unsaved progress will be lost. However, you can immediately go back into the game if you wish, with no limit on how many games you play or sessions you start.
What resolution and framerate can I expect?
GeForce Now games can be played at up to 1080p, and up to 60FPS.

What hardware is used for GeForce Now?
Nvidia has not given the exact specifications of the hardware used for the open release of the service. However, they have stated that GeForce Now offers performance comparable to a game being played on an RTX 2080.

How do I buy games for GeForce Now?
You actually don't buy games specifically for GeForce Now. Instead of being its own separate platform like Google Stadia, GeForce Now pulls games you already own on other services (including Steam, Uplay, Origin, and the Epic Games Store) and allows you to stream them (as long as they're supported; see below for information on what specific games can be played). When you start a game on GeForce Now, you sign in to your account for one of the services mentioned before. Once you're signed in, you install the game to Nvidia's own hardware if needed (a process that usually takes a couple of minutes at most, and a few seconds at minimum), and from there, the game automatically starts.

Because GeForce Now uses your existing game libraries from various PC platforms and uses those platforms' clients, if you're playing a game with cloud save support on Steam, Uplay, etc., then you can pick up on GeForce Now right where you left off on your PC. Additionally, this means that if GeForce Now is ever shut down or a game you play is removed from it, you will still have access to your games if you have your own PC.

What games can be played on GeForce Now?
Click here to go to Nvidia's website and see the official list of games that are playable on GeForce Now.

I saw people talking about playing Battle.net games, but I don't see them in the app.
Unfortunately, all Activision Blizzard games were removed from GeForce Now on February 11th, 2020. This includes their games from both Steam and Battle.net, such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Overwatch, and Spyro: Reignited Trilogy.

Can I record and share gameplay without using a capture card of my own?
Select games on GeForce Now support Nvidia Highlights. Click here for more information.

What input options are available for GeForce Now?
You can play using a controller, keyboard and mouse, or using on-screen touch controls if you're using an iOS or Android device with a touchscreen. For information on if a specific controller is supported, please check your device's requirements (listed earlier in this post).

GeForce Now is installing the game to my own machine! What gives?
Don't worry: the game is not installing to your device. Because it streams the Steam / Uplay / Epic / Origin client, and the game sometimes needs to be prepared on Nvidia's hardware, it will look like you're, say, running Steam on your device and installing your game to it. It is not actually doing that, however, so don't worry-- your local storage space is safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I figured I would make an OT for GeForce Now to help get a centralized place for any information people are looking for. If you have anything you'd like to see on the OP, please let me know!

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
nice. I went for the Founders-sub; all I now need is some decent Steam-sales, I kinda gave up on PC-gaming years ago.
Same, my collection is years out of date
GG.deals is a really good site for finding the cheapest places to buy a game. It also keeps track of things like previous sales and a game's historical low price.

gg.deals

Game deals - Find video games on sale - GG.deals

Compare prices of video games from almost 60 stores, find the best game deals online. CD keys for all PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch and PC games on the market at the best price!

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
Too many good games not available, but I subbed. They have until May to impress. Vanquish is on there though!

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yep, I wish I would have jumped on some Steam sales in the last few months. My wallet is ready now though. Sooo many games added to my wishlist. This will be my main gaming avenue for the time being. It's been amazing.

AndTAR

Oct 28, 2017
Great informative OT, thanks! I have a feeling this service will become fairly relevant moving forward. This was, in fact, my own first contact with game streaming, just earlier today, much due to the low barrier-of-entry. I am stunned at the results possible, though it seems wired ethernet is still the only sure-fire way to get a guaranteed good experience.

If I were to judge purely from this first impression, I would almost say it seems inevitable these services will take over home consoles, the same way video streaming took over movie rentals - I only see the requirement that wireless and cellular networking becomes reliable (and bandwidth-capable) enough.

I have been "PC gaming-revived" a bit by this service, like some others of you in here, and it's indeed on with some Steam key shopping now.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
great OT thanks.

Wish more streaming services copied Nvidia's method...Stadia...the ability to have access to pretty much anything from your library that is supported is so good. You don't need to even own a pc to take advantage of this but are able to take advantage of all the sales lol.

Last edited:

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
May try out the paid tier - I assume if I cancel in the first 90 days I'm not tied in and won't be charged?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The comparison with Stadia is another apple to orange scenario. They are very different products each with pros and cons.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what's up with the 6 hour time limit if you can go back in right away... seems odd.
I'll give it a whirl when it's out on iOS.

Dec 5, 2017
Really been impressed with this so far. Been playing on the pro tier and the quality and performance has been good with the input lag being noticeable but not enough to detract from the experience. There is a few things I wish were better like I need to change the Assassin's Creed Odyssey graphics settings every time I play I assume to the nature of the VM. The game selection can be a bit spotty and I'm assuming there is some licensing issues at play because some entire publishers seem to be missing like Capcom and Square.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's a really impressive service. Hopefully Nvidia will streamline the game "installation" procedure (it is a bit clunky right now) but other than that I have zero complaints.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if 4K support will cost much more than the current monthly price.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Founder as of yesterday.

I will be using this for games I don't have installed locally.

And my new motherboard will have wifi6 and I'm getting a new wifi6 router so performance, while already good, will only improve for me.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
going to give this a try over the weekend

should hopefully hold me over while i wait for ampere/zen3

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea when the Razer Kishi controller will be out for cell phones? Geforce Now is kind of pointless for me right now without it as I only have my home PC, an Ipad that is not supported, and a Samsung S10 that I could play with.

Quake II RTX is free, as well, I think.
It is free but to play the entire game you need a copy of the original Quake II. However, the game isn't that impressive if you didn't play the original Quake II back in the day. Otherwise, it just looks like really outdated game graphics with some extra lighting effects, but for people who fondly remember Quake II it is quite the upgrade.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I tried Doom and it ran really well on my connection. I must be really close to their servers in LA.

Being able to change graphics settings in games is a key feature for me. I put this above my experience with XCloud just because of that.

They just need to fix the log in on Steam games. I have to type in my authenticator code every single time. Then my regular steam will log out too. They need to make it so we only have to log in once and it pulls our Steam library in.

I would definitely use this on my laptop, for some quick games when I'm not home.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having lots of problems with the quality. There is tons of pixelation and macro blocking. Does anyone else have these issues? Anyone know a way to mitigate that stuff? Also, taking 20 minutes to install Path of Exile every time I play is a total joke...

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I'm having lots of problems with the quality. There is tons of pixelation and macro blocking. Does anyone else have these issues? Anyone know a way to mitigate that stuff? Also, taking 20 minutes to install Path of Exile every time I play is a total joke...

did you check to see what your stream quality is set at? Do you have good internet speeds?

Where I am, I am thousands of miles from the nearest server...but my games runs and looks good. Only issue I have is input latency

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to giving this a whirl on the weekend. My gaming laptop, once fairly beefy is now 7.5 years old and struggles with everything so it will be really nice to go through the supported games in my steam library and run them properly!

Might even get me back buying games on PC again.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
did you check to see what your stream quality is set at? Do you have good internet speeds?

Where I am I am thousands of miles from the nearest server...but my game runs and looks good. Only issue I have is latency
Yeah I'm on gigabit wired internet, and I think all my stream quality settings and they are set to max. I don't have any issues with latency or anything, just lots of pixelation. Like it's clear I'm playing a video.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I wonder what's up with the 6 hour time limit if you can go back in right away... seems odd.
I'll give it a whirl when it's out on iOS.
The time limit is in place to make sure there are resources in place. This is a virtualization service and at any time multiple users will be using the same GPU. The time limit for free is to give you a taste and hopefully make you a believer, where the 6-hour limit is considered long enough for a gaming session. That and to make sure that you are just idling and actually using valuable resources.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I just got everything set up, hopped on Destiny 2, and I gotta say I am truly impressed. Everything was super easy to set up, took maybe 4-5 minutes to create my account and download the client/get my game ready to play and be in the Tower on my D2 character. Feeling minimal lag. My graphics/resolution seems to change pretty frequently, but nothing unplayable. Definitely not gonna get super sweaty in Trials with it, but would be great for just doing strikes/missions and casual PvP. Really happy with it, will likely subscribe to it soon!

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm on gigabit wired internet, and I think all my stream quality settings and they are set to max. I don't have any issues with latency or anything, just lots of pixelation. Like it's clear I'm playing a video.
Probably an issue with your ISP. There's not much you personally can do if your ISP isn't giving you a direct route to whatever datacenter they're using.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
They got my money, all signed up. It's even more amazing that they got the free version out before Stadia.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Latency is suprisingly good.
IQ is ok.
Performance isn't great though.
Doom would frequently dip in the low 20s, Arkam Knight didn't feel smooth either (founders member, playing on a Tesla P40).

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

that's really weird. As other poster said try check with your ISP if they throttle your speeds. Did you try the network check in GFN?

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Great OT title lmao

The minimum internet speed requirements for GFNow have always been too high for me unfortunately

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
that's really weird. As other poster said try check with your ISP if they throttle your speeds. Did you try the network check in GFN?
Yeah I did the test and everything looks good, my latency was like 14 last time I tried. It's super weird.

This is all on PC though, I haven't tried to see if it works better on my phone yet.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Stupid impressed by this. Played WoW, Destiny 2, and others with all the settings maxed at a perfect 60fps and very little input lag. This is incredibly impressive so far.