• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have a 2080 RTX and DSR seems to make ZERO difference to image quality on my PC.

Currently playing Wolfenstein The New Order and it looks like a horrible jaggied mess. Tried downsampling from 1440p and even 4K but no difference in IQ. I have a 40 inch 1080p TV.

What gives?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Some games won't properly set your new game resolution unless you enable DSR for your desktop as well (they'll even report the higher resolution they're NOT rendering in, sometimes). Annoying, I know. Don't know if Wolf is one of em.

Same for if you're not in exclusive fullscreen mode.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience, DSR wasn't really worth it, unless you're going 4k to 1080p. If you do a resolution that doesn't divide down easily, like 1440p to 1080p, 2D elements, like UI, end up with some weird jagged artifacts.

It's always better to up the render resolution in-game, since it'll still render 2D elements at native. If a game doesn't support it, maybe it's time to get a higher resolution screen, to go with that badass GPU?

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Do you have gsync on? I feel like I couldn't have DSR and gsync on. It was one or the other

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Could it be just the game? I know some games have really troublesome aliasing (like shader aliasing) that is hard to clean up, but I can't remember if this was one of them.

Oct 28, 2017
Have a 2080 RTX and DSR seems to make ZERO difference to image quality on my PC.

Currently playing Wolfenstein The New Order and it looks like a horrible jaggied mess. Tried downsampling from 1440p and even 4K but no difference in IQ. I have a 40 inch 1080p TV.

What gives?

If you take screen shots while playing the game, what is the resolution of the images which are created when you view them in a photo editor/viewer?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Is game running in borderless or fullscreen mode? (borderless may not work correctly in all games)
  2. Did you set smoothness to 0% like I see so many people recommend online? Because you should leave it at the default of 33% (and in some situations, increasing it to 50% is better).
  3. DSR does not replace other forms of anti-aliasing. Make sure it's still enabled.

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In my experience, DSR wasn't really worth it, unless you're going 4k to 1080p. If you do a resolution that doesn't divide down easily, like 1440p to 1080p, 2D elements, like UI, end up with some weird jagged artifacts.

It's always better to up the render resolution in-game, since it'll still render 2D elements at native. If a game doesn't support it, maybe it's time to get a higher resolution screen, to go with that badass GPU?
I've always found games with an in game resolution scale have a far cleaner IQ vs me trying to brute force DSR.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That happens because you disabled the filter which is there to prevent aliasing.
I don't know why NVIDIA even made it an option.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Try setting your desktop to the higher resolution and then doing the same in the game.
It should work by just just selecting the higher resolution in game, especially when using fullscreen. But sometimes it makes problems for me too.

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This is the 4K image, despite being downsampled to 1080p on my screen, this screen is full of jaggies. I've set the smoothness at 33% for DSR. I'm not sure if this is how it is supposed to look.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
That's odd, as others have suggested you should make sure you are running in exclusive full screen mode. The smoothness should be set to 0 BTW if you are downsampling from 4k. The only other DSR resoution I used was 2880 x 1620 with smoothness set to 25%. All other DSR resolutions on a 1080P display didn't look good to me.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
1l2hTrZ.jpg

This is the 4K image, despite being downsampled to 1080p on my screen, this screen is full of jaggies. I've set the smoothness at 33% for DSR. I'm not sure if this is how it is supposed to look.
The screenshot is blurry since you used Imgur (I recommend abload.de) but that looks like you're downsampling from 4K without any anti-aliasing.
Exhaust your anti-aliasing options first, before downsampling.
I'm currently downloading the game to check myself, but it could be a while.

That's odd. The smoothness should be set to 0 BTW if you are downsampling from 4k.
No, it shouldn't. A box filter cannot eliminate aliasing:
box8aknc.gif

That's why NVIDIA use a gaussian filter:
gaussianktj89.gif

Also, the only other DSR resoution I used was 2880 x 1620 with smoothness set to 25%. All other DSR resolutions didn't look good to me.
Hmm, I can't think why. Could it have something to do with you turning down/disabling the filter?
Nah, probably not…

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
That happens because you disabled the filter which is there to prevent aliasing.
Then I found the UI was blurry instead of jagged. DSR Makes 3D stuff look better, at the cost of the 2D stuff, but that's the trade off you make when using an external tool to up the resolution.

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The screenshot is blurry since you used Imgur (I recommend abload.de) but that looks like you're downsampling from 4K without any anti-aliasing.
Exhaust your anti-aliasing options first, before downsampling.
I'm currently downloading the game to check myself, but it could be a while.
Unfortunately The New Order has no AA options. The base game has an awful IQ. Runing the game using a fullscreen mode.

201810_20200210140514dbkgm.png

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I downloaded the game (and a save for it, since it doesn't support cloud saves) and the problem in that area is shader aliasing along the top of those railings, pipes etc; combined with many of the effects being low resolution (light haze, depth of field etc).
There's not really a good solution for this, other than TAA - which the game doesn't support. It's a similar situation to Alien: Isolation, where even downsampling does very little to help (though a mod managed to inject TAA).

The best you can really do is to inject post-process AA like FXAA or SMAA with ReShade, and downsample.
Using r_multiSamples 16 (may require id5 Tweaker) is the one thing which actually does help a bit (16x "MSAA" in id Tech 5 is a special value that I think actually does some downsampling of its own) but it absolutely kills the frame rate and doesn't even hit all the edges that well.

5160x2160:
tno-fullres-2bjyo.jpg

Downsampled to 1080p:
tno-downsample-lbk2a.jpg

Then I found the UI was blurry instead of jagged. DSR Makes 3D stuff look better, at the cost of the 2D stuff, but that's the trade off you make when using an external tool to up the resolution.
A lot of UIs are actually aliased, since they use text and lines that are so thin - which is why they would look softer when using DSR.
But the HUD shouldn't really be your concern, unless it's a menu-driven game.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of UIs are actually aliased, since they use text and lines that are so thin - which is why they would look softer when using DSR.

Hey, it was enough to bother me, but to each their own.

I just feel like I couldn't get a good image quality/performance balance I liked with DSR and the games with which I tried it, however long ago that was.

Hopefully more developers add render scaling options in the future, like Destiny 2, which goes from 25% to 200%. I think we can all agree that is the better alternative.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need it at 4X.

And anything less than 4X is mostly useless because of the way downsampling with "smoothing" is handled in DSR at the moment as you'll get more blur than anti aliasing which is completely against the point of super sampling in the first place.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Okay, so I downloaded the game (and a save for it, since it doesn't support cloud saves) and the problem in that area is shader aliasing along the top of those railings, pipes etc; combined with many of the effects being low resolution (light haze, depth of field etc).
There's not really a good solution for this, other than TAA - which the game doesn't support. It's a similar situation to Alien: Isolation, where even downsampling does very little to help (though a mod managed to inject TAA).

The best you can really do is to inject post-process AA like FXAA or SMAA with ReShade, and downsample.
Using r_multiSamples 16 (may require id5 Tweaker) is the one thing which actually does help a bit (16x "MSAA" in id Tech 5 is a special value that I think actually does some downsampling of its own) but it absolutely kills the frame rate and doesn't even hit all the edges that well.

5160x2160:
tno-fullres-2bjyo.jpg

Downsampled to 1080p:
tno-downsample-lbk2a.jpg

IIRC multisamples to 16 is an NV specific option in OGL, which makes it do transparency super sampling. You can see the flag how it works in nspector

It is crazy expensive, even in doom3

Impudent Dog

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame that ordered grid and sparse grid supersampling modes don't function beyond DX10. They always worked so well at all forms of temporal aliasing and had little to no effect on HUD elements. I could never get DSR to look as good, even when downsampling from 4k to 1080p, but I read that AMD's VSR approach is better.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC multisamples to 16 is an NV specific option in OGL, which makes it do transparency super sampling. You can see the flag how it works in nspector

It is crazy expensive, even in doom3
I seem to recall John Carmack saying something along the lines of wanting to "experiment with anti-aliasing for the highest quality setting" in an interview about Rage.
In Rage, where it's actually presented as an option rather than a hidden command, it's certainly doing more than just increasing the sample count, and it doesn't just hit transparencies.
From what I recall, you should see that the whole image is noticeably softer (and less aliased) when it's selected, and there's a large performance hit over 8x.

It seemed more like actual supersampling, with a custom filter applied, rather than TSSAA. I haven't looked at the game in years though.

You don't need it at 4X.

And anything less than 4X is mostly useless because of the way downsampling with "smoothing" is handled in DSR at the moment as you'll get more blur than anti aliasing which is completely against the point of super sampling in the first place.
Like I showed with the GIFs above, you do.
A box filter is not sufficient to eliminate aliasing - which is why NVIDIA use a Gaussian filter. I believe many (most?) TAA implementations do as well. Those GIFs were actually taken from a paper on Unreal Engine 4's TAA.

I strongly disagree that DSR is useless for anything other than 4x - though the smaller values like 1.2x may not be worth it, considering the small increase in resolution and softening of the image.

It's a shame that ordered grid and sparse grid supersampling modes don't function beyond DX10. They always worked so well at all forms of temporal aliasing and had little to no effect on HUD elements. I could never get DSR to look as good, even when downsampling from 4k to 1080p, but I read that AMD's VSR approach is better.
It's sharper, but that's not necessarily better. It also only works at specific resolutions and aspect ratios, whereas DSR can be customized to work at any resolution, so long as both dimensions are larger than the native resolution for the display.
I wish that NVIDIA would open up custom DSR resolutions officially, rather than having to use registry hacks. I'd also like the option to support custom resolutions below native in conjunction with DSR (enabling DSR locks out custom resolutions).

I agree that it's a shame SGSSAA doesn't work in most games now, because it does look really good (provided you have the correct compatibility bits set).