• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see which gonna perform betetr in RT, the next Switch or the Steam deck. I still didn't see any game test displaying RT on the latter eventhough it is supposed to do it.
for some reason, people are extremely hesitant of playing RT modes on AMD hardware. it's an absolute bitch to find any kind of RT benching for the 6500XT. I know it sucks, but I still want to see numbers for it. especially games that offer scalable RT like Metro Exodus

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
for some reason, people are extremely hesitant of playing RT modes on AMD hardware. it's an absolute bitch to find any kind of RT benching for the 6500XT. I know it sucks, but I still want to see numbers for it. especially games that offer scalable RT like Metro Exodus

I really want to see how RT behaves on a portable device. That is all. Gaben said that there will be an updated Steam Deck version and I am sure with DLSS and hardware RT, the new Switch gonna do amazong job. Portable gaming will never look as good.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
At least this confirms the Switch 2 will have RT support after some speculation it wouldn't due to power drain constrains concerns from leaks.
I wouldn't expect lots of RT in Switch 4k games, it'll probably mostly be used for minor things and audio. That being said, we'll probably still see some surprisingly good looking RT usage here and there.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I saw few posts (thank God not many) claiming that Nintendo and Nvidia would not create a successor to Switch any time soon (or maybe never) because the latter is doing so well so why bother creating a new one, XD
Let alone those infamous posts about: who cares about graphics? XD

I haven't seen anyone legit claiming there will never be a Switch 2. That makes no sense, unless what they meant is that there won't be a generation that breaks compatibility with Switch.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I personally believe it will be a "Super Switch", Nintendo loves their gimmicks and I'm not sure if 4K is enough to justify a new generation. This could extend the Switch's lifecycle, set a new bar that'll probably never be cleared for highest selling console ever, and continue using all the marketing they've built around the Switch. I wouldn't be surprised if they're hesitant of a Wii U situation after a successful generation.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Note that DLSS may be able to help with RT too, as that's supposedly something Nvidia has been working on. I expect that, aside from DLSS, Nintendo will do something new with thwir controllers, they ALWAYS do.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect lots of RT in Switch 4k games, it'll probably mostly be used for minor things and audio. That being said, we'll probably still see some surprisingly good looking RT usage here and there.
There's other ways to do rt lighting that's highly scalable, nvidia made one for UE4 even. There's also RT for particle physics which is what UE5 is doing

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
The Nintendo DLSS thing deserves its own thread imo.
I was hoping for DLSS for Dane because it feels like a perfect solution for Nintendo's "weak hardware" dilemma. So good to see it "confirmed".

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I really wnat tio see how RT behaves on a portable device. That is all. Gaben said that there will be an updated Steam Deack version and I am sure with DLSS and harwdare RT new Switch gonna do amazong job. Porttable gaming will never look as good.
I wouldn't be surprised if the feature was only used for docked mode.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The most hype thing about DLSS on a Switch, for me, is that it's a trojan horse for Nintendo games actually having anti-aliasing.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, these data files are from 2019?

That's interesting. Maybe this really is a Switch Pro that got delayed when COVID hit.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
T239 codename is Drake...
NateDrake has been consistently taking about Switch DLSS devkits...
It all lines up :p

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
What's really useful is the intelligence, is that part of it? Hell I don't know, I think Nvidia should make the models opensource to begin with.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
You would still need pretty specific hardware to run it, but the software could have other potential use cases.
I think the consumers won't be paying for the software (so we win) and only the hardware (physical medium), and that the ones implementing the software on other platforms / hardware would be the ones who pay royalties to Nvidia.

Other than that, I can't wrap my head around Nvidia making their stuffs open-source on specific hardware they produce.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly nothing. No FOSS project can legally use this, neither can AMD.

The author of the article tries to imply that the Linux Nouveau driver community could use it to provide DLSS in an open source driver. This is completely incorrect.
The damage would come from being able to reverse and understand the underlying architecture (for reproducing Tensor hardware and software equivalents).

This could certainly be useful to actors in... emerging markets (though I'd suspect they'd be able to get the data through normal espionage anyway).

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
where are they gonna manufacture these? TSMC/Samsung/etc aren't gonna make themselves liable
It's not like they're going to print "partially produced using leaked proprietary information that allowed us to catch up to the competition in designing our own ML solutions" on the wafers.