• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Like wwm0nkey said, the GPU likely wouldn't be able to do it in parallel with other tasks it's doing. If the ML step takes 8ms, that only leaves 8ms for the GPU to do everything else in a 60fps game.

Plus, the general compute units of AMD cards don't match what Nvidia cores can do for Machine Learning. Even outside of games, if you want to do ML for fun as a hobby an Nvidia card is leaps and bounds better.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
VR support is the news I had been hoping for. I suddenly feel the need to get something with a higher resolution screen like the G2.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
obviously needs to be implemented per game, but VR could be huge. Especially if it allows us to drive higher res panels without too much additional overhead

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious, will future DLSS versions continue to be backwards compatible to the 2000-series? Is there any reason that they wouldn't be after some amount of time?

Oct 25, 2017
Does this work for streaming apps like Netflix? Like can I pay for 1080p streaming quality Netflix and use the Shield to AI upscale to 4K?
That's exactly what I do. It's probably not as good as 4k Netflix but it looks much better than standard Netflix without the upscaling. And it works on everything, while I think not everything is available in 4k on Netflix even if you pay for it.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Man VR games could look almost as good as their non VR counterparts while still maintaining that super important high refresh rate.

That could be huge for that market.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
ok so will this be patched into current games? Would love to see control with this.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DLSS 2.1 works with all 3000 series cards right? Only mentions 3090 in the info about it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
do many VR games use TAA?

Some do. Any game that doesn't use forward rendering and MSAA tends to have horrible IQ, though. If you don't truly get rid of jaggies, it looks terrible in VR. Why? Because you're head is never truly still. So with the screen always moving slightly, jaggies will "crawl" all over the place. And some of the alt AA methods do get rid of most jaggies, but then have a thick layer of vasoline that makes everything look low res. It's a pick your poison proposition.

Carmack has been pretty emphatic about wanting all VR games to use forward rendering and MSAA.

HL:A is a game that also uses a forward rendering engine (and looks amazing and is jag free in VR). Normally this is the route of the smaller, indie guys. But Valve showed you could make an amazing AAA game with these limits, too.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Ultra Performance Mode might not, but yeah DLSS 2.1 in general works on Turing too.
That's what I'm hopeful for. Gonna hold on to my 2080ti for as long as I can. At the very least I'll hold out until AMD announces all their new stuff and hopefully build around ryzen 4k.

If DLSS 2.1 really is Turing friendly (or 2080ti at least) then that'll make the wait much easier.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
DLSS is straight up disruptive tech, man. I wonder when, if ever, others will have an answer for it.

Checkerboarding and other reconstruction upscaling techniques I'll certainly improve with this next gen — I'm excited to see what they come up with — but DLSS has already lapped them and is still pulling ahead. (And this is not fanboying, I don't have an RTX card and game more frequently on console

It's funny because the companies that need this tech most are not the ones already selling the highest performing gpus in the market. It's the console manufacturers and AMD, who need to compete by squeezing every last drop of performance from every millisecond.

the next switch may get it though, which would be INCREDIBLE to see. Switch has to make so many concessions to play games ported from other 7 year old hardware, so you can only imagine how the multiplatform would dry up in this next gen. But if all of a sudden you have tensor cores on a slightly to notably more powerful GPU (and the rest) then holy shit, can you imagine the longevity?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dynamic resolution scaling with DLSS?

giphy.gif

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
One great thing is while DLSS wasn't widely used in the 2000 series it has picked up enough hype on momentum that we should see it in A LOT of titles moving forward. Also yeah if the Switch 2 gets any form of DLSS it's going to be a HUGE boost to that system, they lucked out with the Nvidia partnership

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I posted this recently but DLSS is the real deal, I was impressed in Minecraft RTX but since it was added to F1 2020 I can lock at 4k60 on a 2070 Super, it's a 20fps+ boost in that game and despite a couple of bugs they need to iron out it's really impressive.

And really we're in the early days of this, it will only get better. Great to see VR support.

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Potentially, although given 1440p rendering gives better than native image quality at 4K, I'd assume (given a 4K output) that you'd be better off optimising around 1440p as your max native rendering resolution and allowing the game to drop to 1080p (or below) under load. Heck, given that DLSS now supports upto a 9x scale you could potentially allow the game to drop add low as a 720p native resolution. That way you can push greater per pixel quality and more RT effects.

I'm really curious to see how well it holds up at 4K with a 9x scale from 720p. If the results are decent, we could potentially be pushing full path tracing in modern games.

They didn't really seem to specify if 720p > 4k would also be an option, but maybe they could introduce it when they reveal their lower end RTX cards. Some people have suggested maybe it won't be an option though because 720p might not be enough image data to work with to go to 4k.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
So re: DLSS + dynamic resolution, am I understanding it correctly that this means a game may be able to be run at native res during parts with easy rendering loads, and then enable DLSS dynamically (and to the optimal amount) only when needed?

If so, that sounds amazing.
I'm not sure you'd even want that. The shift between the two might be too noticeable, because DLSS gives you a different sort of picture. It's not JUST upscaling, it's also giving you supersampled anti-aliasing that results in a sharper final image than the FXAA or TXAA that you'd apply to native res

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
9x scaling option? That's like 1440p -> 4320p. So that means they ran Youngblood and Control at 1440p internal resolution and upscaled it to 8K using DLSS2.1.

As base resolutions go up, upscaling looks better and better for some weird magical reason.

upscaling a 96x54 images to 192x108 is not going to look noticeably better than the original

upscaling 960x540 image to 3840x2160 (4K) is going to look noticeably better than the original.

upscaling 4k images to 8k and above is going to look godlike.

nVidia thinks that 1440p is sufficient for 8k, so 4k images should be DLSS-up-scalable to 16K minimum.

Not sure we will ever have a need for 32K displays in the home. I think 16K is enough for lifelike video even with a screen the size of a full iMax screen. And not liemax either!

What does this mean?

This means there will never be a need to render games internally at more than 4K in our lifetimes. Everything extra will come from AI upscaling whenever possible (which should become standard in a few decades).

The future of gaming looks bright! You can hold me to that.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
This is good news for my 2070 super and preorder HP Reverb G2. You know, when games take advantage of it.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Hope it also remove the modes variations with dynamic res so it will scale up and down automatically. A4 and Crystal dynamics really need to update the DLSS man.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
That's amazing news. Now just more games need to support DLSS. It's so incredible, it should become a standard feature for PC games.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think so. Upgranding the Unreal engine mid-development is an really demanding task that could also slowdown or even halt the development just to iron out issues that may appear on the upgrade. I quite doubt that with games more and more expensive any developer, regardless of the position in the project, would decide or even be allowed to do that.
It's...not that bad. My team upgraded last month. A few hassles but really nbd.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
We are in for a treat in the coming years. Not only are the cards as powerful as we could have expected, we have these amazing things which these companies invest millions in R&D. To see those fruits coming to light is truly an amazing time to be a PC enthusiast.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure you'd even want that. The shift between the two might be too noticeable, because DLSS gives you a different sort of picture. It's not JUST upscaling, it's also giving you supersampled anti-aliasing that results in a sharper final image than the FXAA or TXAA that you'd apply to native res
Probably right. However you could still blend different resolutions of DLSS source into the same final picture, which should be good for foveal rendering, should mean you can get away with a lot more in the low-res parts of the image.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Man I just hope DCS World one day gets otpimized to use hardware properly...