• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Now. If you don't have a gaming PC, the time is now.

CPUs are in a very good spot price/performance. RAM/Storage is probably at the lowest and predicted to climb up. GPUs in $200-360 are great, anything above is dropping off price/performance wise heavily.
This year we expect Big Navi and the RTX 3000 series. But that could be anywhere from June to December, we have no idea.
Okey then. Time to do some market research and ask around.
Thanks for the answers.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Wolfenstein is a unlucky case though as that game is very VRAM hungry already. Other games don't run into VRAM limits even with full RT on.

I assume he is speaking to potential "next-gen" titles where the "unlucky case" will potentially become the standard case as developers target a higher baseline. This is eerily similar to people trying to sell others on 2GB cards back in 2013.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume he is speaking to potential "next-gen" titles where the "unlucky case" will potentially become the standard case as developers target a higher baseline. This is eerily similar to people trying to sell others on 2GB cards back in 2013.
Sure, but luckily in PC gaming, you can tune the settings to your preference and Wolf runs pretty good at high texture settings. The unlucky case just means that you have to turn down texture settings more in the future (which to be fair, often times do not make a great difference, like it's the case with Wolf) It's not like you have to turn down textures so much that they get muddy, we went past that point when GPUs had more than 2-3 GB of VRAM.

Nov 8, 2017
It's funny how I occasionally see comments as if AMD isn't serious competition. And yet Nvidia is constantly reacting to them.

The reactions have been to moderately improve the value proposition on product stacks that most people were very unhappy about the pricing of in 2018. We're now like 12+ months from the 2060's launch and AMD has caused a price cut in this one card nowhere near the high end. Shouldn't silicon released on a major new node one year later demolish it, not just require a 10% price cut? Historically it would have, but Nvidia has been able to fight off AMD with one hand tied behind it's back and just make small adjustments on their stupid-high margins. That's what people are talking about when they say they're not able to seriously compete. Nvidia has tons of room to move on price, but AMD is cutting it close to the wire and can't do any better and isn't able to make up much ground in market share.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Wolfenstein is a unlucky case though as that game is very VRAM hungry already. Other games don't run into VRAM limits even with full RT on.

wolf is fixed by reducing the streaming budget, the option has no impact on texture quality. It is just unnecessary to max it when those little streaming improvements are probably not going to be visible at 1080p or 1440p. Also most games don't work like idtech games do with their texture streaming. It is just Doom and Wolf and even there it is not a issue, just set image streaming option to a sane value.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sufficient for 1080p60 on most titles with Raytracing on. BF5 runs at native 1080p60 ultra, textures down to high with RT medium, Metro runs at 1080p60 high, RT on with DLSS. In Control it runs at full raytracing settings with DLSS and volumetric turned down. Wolf runs with RT on, high settings at 1080p60 as well.

Overall, it's pretty good.

Sorry but the fact that you are referring to a video from months ago on even much older games that use DLSS , which is a deep learning algorithym, shows me that you are quite biased on the matter already. DLSS on those games and DLSS in newer games like Wolfenstein and Deliver Us to the Moon are a world of difference, you can check them out on any source you want.

ah good to know, I'm kind of in gpu limbo atm, was hoping cyberpunk specs would release and I'd be ok with a 1660s but now it's probably just the waiting game/hoping to see a too good sale on the 5700 or 2060

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wolf is fixed by reducing the streaming budget, the option has no impact on texture quality. It is just unnecessary to max it when those little streaming improvements are probably not going to be visible at 1080p or 1440p. Also most games don't work like idtech games do with their texture streaming. It is just Doom and Wolf and even there it is not a issue, just set streaming option to a sane value.
Oh, yes I mixed texture streaming with overall texture quality, you're right. Even better then.

Oct 26, 2017
When should I be looking to build a semi high end (like 8/10 in power) Desktop PC?

For both machine learning and gaming.

When is a good time to look into it? Now or wait 6 months or wait 12 months?

Nov 8, 2017
When should I be looking to build a semi high end (like 8/10 in power) Desktop PC?

As above, it depends on when you need it. If it's no rush, then wait until Big Navi and RTX3000 series have launcehd and look into it then, that'll be later this year. You'll be able to get a good idea of the lay of the land then. But if you do need it in a particular time frame, then we can't guarantee you how long you'll have to wait, so maybe consider buying now.

We can only truly judge "good time to buy" in retrospect.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Nvidia is dropping prices precisely because AMD is competing, even if AMD is not doing amazing.

2060S is not strong enough to drive new games with full detail + raytracing effects. You have to sacrifice performance, standard graphics settings or raytracing. This will only get worse as games naturally get more demanding in the future.

DLSS is not dead, but it is redundant. Sharpening effects are now possible on both Nvidia and AMD GPUs with barely any performance hits, and they work really well (Nvidia's shaprening is a bit better). Shapening works on everything, no need for developers to implement anything.

AMD is not popular because they can't even match 2070S, and their drivers seem to be a little more problematic.
Sharpening does nothing that dlss or any reconstruction Filter does.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The waiting game is tricky, Ampere could release in June as well as November or even next year, we don't really know. Maybe wait until GTC in March or Computex, Ampere could be announced there, if not you could check for available GPUs.

For machine learning the RTX line is pretty great, since you can use Tensor cores in mixed and half precision, which provide a huge speed boost. VRAM is important there, if your models can run on mixed/half precision, the here mentioned RTX 2060 would be already good enough to train decently sized models (depending what you plan to do of course). However, the more VRAM the better, 11 GB like 2080Ti or 1080Ti would be good. If you run FP32 calculations, go for the 1080Ti, if you plan to use mixed/half precision, go for the 2080Ti which has much better performance then.

For CPU, go with a Ryzen. The Ryzen 5 3600(X) is pretty good in my opinion.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017

Best time of the year imo are at two points in the year:

After Computex in May/June: Usually a lot of new products are released then, specially from AMD.

November: because discounts every where. Also Nvidia/Intel usually launched whatever new product they had by then so you can see all of your options.

You buy other times, you usually end up with major regrets very quicky lol.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I think it's more likely Nvidia drops the Tensor cores in future hardware and DLSS silently disappears or morphs into a more general upscaling solution.
No way. We have barely touched the surface of what machine learning can do for real time graphics and AMD needs its own solution.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia is dropping prices precisely because AMD is competing, even if AMD is not doing amazing.
Eh, kinda. NV is dropping prices on a year+ old products which means that their margins have gotten high enough for them to cut the price and still have the same profit off this product.
I do wonder if this move is due to 5600XT introduction (as press suggests it is) or due to 5700 selling for less than $350 now (which seems like a bigger issue for 2060 sales to me really).

2060S is not strong enough to drive new games with full detail + raytracing effects.
That's just not true.

DLSS is not dead, but it is redundant.
In the same way as any resolution reconstruction is redundant? I mean, you could argue that AI upscaling isn't the best approach to this problem but saying that you can just as easily use post processing sharpening path instead is just a lie.

I think it's more likely Nvidia drops the Tensor cores in future hardware and DLSS silently disappears or morphs into a more general upscaling solution.
Chances of that are rather slim, for a number of reasons, one of which is the fact that the silicon budgets is the least of problems on newest production processes. It may happen only if NV will decide to move ML chips into a completely separate product line - which may happen if someone else will manage to produce a ML only accelerator which will be significantly more effective than NV's GPUs at ML tasks. So far this hasn't happened and the bonuses of having a GPU which can be used for a multitude of tasks outweigh the negatives of added die area and such.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think VRAM usage will increase because the next consoles arrive, that only have 13 GB shared RAM/VRAM and rely on SSD data streaming? I don't see that. Those textures in next gen games will be also likely made for 4K resolution as well, so I would think at 1080p (maybe even 1440p) and normal texture settings, you will be fine with 6 GB.

The problem with that is that the baseline for textures will be the consoles. As people that had to go below Ultra textures with Red Dead Redemption 2 found out it's unlikely that developers will optimize textures below the console baseline.

Telling people that 6GB will be fine now is like the people insisting 2GB would be fine at the start of the last gen of consoles. I'd imagine that even people with 8GB cards will be looking to upgrade at some point early next gen.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Please don't tell me the 2070 Super will get a price drop, because I just ordered one today...

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Will this drop the prices of the whole lineup in a domino effect? Not sure historically if this happens (i know it's not an MSRP drop for all cards..)

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when $300 got you essentially the 2nd or 3rd best card in the entire lineup? I miss 2005-2008ish. Granted, SLI setups were an actual thing back then, the value just seems so much worse now because of all the more expensive higher tier single cards.

Jan 29, 2018
I've got an off-the-shelf HP with a 1060 in it. What do I need to figure out before I try to put a 2060 in it? Would I need a bigger power supply? Would it even be worth it?

Oct 27, 2017
I knew buying that 2060 KO would be a mistake.

Still, as long as the cooler isn't complete shit, it wasn't a bad deal at $265 before tax.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when $300 got you essentially the 2nd or 3rd best card in the entire lineup? I miss 2005-2008ish. Granted, SLI setups were an actual thing back then, the value just seems so much worse now because of all the more expensive higher tier single cards.
I remember those days, wish we could go back to that.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is where it should have come out. Really the 2070 should be $400, the 2080 should be $600, and the 2080 Ti should be $800.
Says a lot about how much Nvidia has been able to get away with that people think $800 is in any way a reasonable price for a video card. 2080 Ti should be $500, and the 2060 should be $200.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to GPU prices over the last decade? I still remember buying the TOTL GTX 285 back in 2008 for $300. Was the best single solution card on the market.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I purchased a 2060 shortly after they released to replace my aging 970 and I have been very happy with it. I have had no issues yet with 6GB RAM and $299 is a great price, I will probably hold onto mine for another year or so...

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Says a lot about how much Nvidia has been able to get away with that people think $800 is in any way a reasonable price for a video card. 2080 Ti should be $500, and the 2060 should be $200.

I've been a console only gamer for the longest time. When the last two major console releases happened PC gamers pretty much said "a $200 GPU matches or beats those consoles".

Nowadays if the rumors are anything close to being true. It sounds like you would need a 5700 XT or 2070 Super level card to have parity with next gen consoles.

I decided a few years ago that I wasn't going to buy anymore consoles. And that's still the case. I just didn't think I would have to spend +400 if I wanted to keep up with next gen consoles on day 1 lol.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to GPU prices over the last decade? I still remember buying the TOTL GTX 285 back in 2008 for $300. Was the best single solution card on the market.
Nvidia price gouging and AMD basically giving up the ghost on high end GPUs (and their shit getting slammed for running too hot/loud when they do produce any).

Nov 8, 2017

Manufacturing costs increased and hence a gradual upward trend over 10 years. But the specific reason that the RTX 2000 series and RX 5000 series GPUs are so pricey is that Nvidia's performance lead is such that AMD is unable to meaningfully undercut their value proposition and put major price pressure on. So, Nvidia prices highly because they can and people pay it, while AMD doesn't have enough room to lower their prices without making basically no money on what they're selling.

With Vega, AMD had larger dies and more expensive memory, which produced similar or less performance than Pascal. With Turing vs Navi, Nvidia has the much bigger dies this time, but that's because they're using an older and much cheaper process technology, while AMD is using expensive cutting edge stuff. In the end it seems like a bit of a wash. For the last few years they have also been unable to offer a commercially viable alternative to Nvidia's top of the range offering.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017

the key change was in 2012, with Nvidia moving the mid range chip to the previous high end price (GK104/GTX 680 at $550) after that price has increased quite a bit for the high end,

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
ELI5 , is this a good thing?
I've been thinking about building a PC and I'm not sure if now it's the right time or maybe wait for a few more months, as I'm not really in a hurry

The 2060 is a GTX 1080 level card, with low end ray tracing, for $299.

It's definitely the best sub $300 card on the market now. Sub-$300 is where most of the cards are bought. So after only 3 years, we finally have a successor to the GTX 1060.

TLDR great 1080p high fps card for $300.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Not bad, if it had 8gb vram it would be perfect, 6gb isn't really enough in max settings for a few games.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
I know but the whole point is to get a sharper image or as sharp as it should be in theory. But DLSS is atm a blurry solution.

Its was blurry, now its awesome. Need proof? Watch the Wolfenstein and Control DLSS videos from DF. The whole "just use 80% scaling" Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed were spouting doesn't hold up anymore. Hell it didn't hold up when they patched DLSS in Metro not long after those videos.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Its was blurry, now its awesome. Need proof? Watch the Wolfenstein and Control DLSS videos from DF. The whole "just use 80% scaling" Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed were spouting doesn't hold up anymore. Hell it didn't hold up when they patched DLSS in Metro not long after those videos.

I'll watch them then, always appreciate DF analysis video.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
So considering this adjustment, if I were to spend 200 on a gpu, what would be the best buy? At 300?

(staying at 1080p for now)

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
So considering this adjustment, if I were to spend 200 on a gpu, what would be the best buy? At 300?

(staying at 1080p for now)

at $300, 2060 is best but you might be able to buy 5700s for like $330~340, that is like 10 percent better depending on the game but you are losing nvidia features like vrs, rtx etc and AMD drivers for 5700 are pretty sketchy right now. It's up to the individual if they care about that delta or cost difference. Both are good cards for the price.

For $200? Every thing out there is mediocre, outdated and not worth buying imo. We are looking at cards like 5500xt, 1650 super, rx 580, 1660 (not super or Ti) etc. They are all about same and I just dont think it is worthwhile to buy into that kind of performance in 2020 unless you can find a used rx 580 or 570 for really cheap. If you want to buy new, I would go for 1660, it is generally the fastest one and has 6GB VRAM which is a lot better than 4.

If you move up to $250, you have 1660Super which is alright and appreciably better than those cards but still feels like you are paying too much when you can pay a little bit more and buy a RTX 2060 which is a pretty decent step up in performance and features. Overall this market sector sucks right now. You have a lot of mediocre or not so great options and there is no clear cut choice whatsoever. Personally, I would not buy anything below 1660 Super, I think they will become obsolete soon and I expect more from a $200 card. 1060 GTX or RX 480 were ~$200 card but they offered amazing performance three years ago, we just haven't advanced much at all. Just watch this video to get an idea how poor of a value these cards are right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgt5xiFWDlc

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
at $300, 2060 is best but you might be able to buy 5700s for like $330~340, that is like 10 percent better depending on the game but you are losing nvidia features like vrs, rtx etc and AMD drivers for 5700 are pretty sketchy right now. It's up to the individual if they care about that delta or cost difference. Both are good cards for the price.

For $200? Every thing out there is mediocre, outdated and not worth buying imo. We are looking at cards like 5500xt, 1650 super, rx 580, 1660 (not super or Ti) etc. They are all about same and I just dont think it is worthwhile to buy into that kind of performance in 2020 unless you can find a used rx 580 or 570 for really cheap. If you want to buy new, I would go for 1660, it is generally the fastest one and has 6GB VRAM which is a lot better than 4.

If you move up to $250, you have 1660Super which is alright and appreciably better than those cards but still feels like you are paying too much when you can pay a little bit more and buy a RTX 2060 which is a pretty decent step up in performance and features. Overall this market sector sucks right now. You have a lot of mediocre or not so great options and there is no clear cut choice whatsoever. Personally, I would not buy anything below 1660 Super, I think they will become obsolete soon and I expect more from a $200 card. 1060 GTX or RX 480 were ~$200 card but they offered amazing performance three years ago, we just haven't advanced much at all. Just watch this video to get an idea how poor of a value these cards are right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgt5xiFWDlc

Very informative and generous post! Thank you very much!