• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Update: Nvidia has apologised with another email.

GamersNexus also condemning this move by Nvidia:

Linus ranting and saying Nvidia is effectively labelling Hardware Unboxed as "red" (aka AMD). His original response was that he had certain doubts, he needed to find out more and even defended Nvidia a little after having worked with them for a decade. After that, he had access and read the email that was sent to HWU. He was astonished how "fanboyish" Nvidia actually sounded in the email. He actually looks pretty pissed at Nvidia.

JayTwoCents weighing in:

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shitty move, and something that needs to be talked about and nobody should give in.
But it is in line with Nvidia

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They did the same to GN actually, probably others

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Even if I were to get a newer Nvidia card my reason won't be because of RTX, it's in there, but I still don't think it's worth the performance hit. I hope Hardware Unbox doesn't bend the knee. I'll watch their stuff no matter what they are talking about.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Why should they bother testing RTX when no games use it? Because AMD's cards tank harder with RTX enabled?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Even if I were to get a newer Nvidia card my reason won't be because of RTX, it's in there, but I still don't think it's worth the performance hit. I hope Hardware Unbox doesn't bend the knee. I'll watch their stuff no matter what they are talking about.
They're large enough to where they won't have to, all of the other channels are going to piggyback and give them shit just like everyone game MSI shit for trying to put pressure on that one reviewer.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
As a consumer, this is shitty.

If i am Nvidia, this is literally what i will do.

As a Nvidia shareholder, i have no comment.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City

I was looking at 3080s and 6800XTs depending on what available stock looked like, but Cyberpunk really made me happy I ended up with the 3080 and not an AMD card. RTX and DLSS in Cyberpunk blow me away in a way I wasn't expecting.

But yeah, this is extremely idiotic for Nvidia to do. Theres what, like 30 games that support RTX and DLSS, and DLSS is about the only way you'll get playable framerates in anything running RTX except like, Minecraft. It really feels like Control and Cyberpunk are the only games really worth it right now, not enough to focus all your press coverage on RTX.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
"It is very clear from your community commentary that you do not see things the same way that we, gamers, and the rest of the industry do."

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017

I can't believe some Nvidia guy wrote that.

tenor.gif

Nov 2, 2017
Pretty shitty thing to do. Not too surprising though based on some of the things I've seen of Hardware Unboxed. They're fairly anti Nvidia and pro AMD without it being too overt.

That reason given by Nvidia is bogus though because as GamersNexus says they don't really focus on RTX either and they didn't get banned. Plenty of other sites don't really focus on RTX either and still get cards. I think Nvidia also noticed that their commentary was a bit biased.

Dec 9, 2019
This is what happens, when you have a monopoly on a certain segment. We need a stronger competition, AMD needs to kick Nvidias ass after they did the same with Intel, then we won't have this kind of arrogant behaviour anymore.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Shitty move but by nVidia. I mean just because a wide range of review pages disable all of your product's unique features and test against your competitor with activated SAM and all their feature sets doesn't mean they want to harm you. Or do they?

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
WTF Nvidia. Hardware Unboxed are one of my favourite channels and this is really shitty news for them. They'll still receive AIB models but this will hit them hard on FE release dates going forward.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Pretty shitty thing to do. Not too surprising though based on some of the things I've seen of Hardware Unboxed. They're fairly anti Nvidia and pro AMD without it being too overt.
Their 6800XT review wasn't too subtle. Still, completely moronic by NVidia.

Clarification: I don't necessarily think they're anti-NVidia, but slanted more towards the AMD side. AMD have killed it with their releases this year though so it probably isn't too surprising.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
It's a petty move by Nvidia but I've always thought Hardware Unboxed's stance of "ray tracing and next-gen features aren't important" was pretty silly.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I wish there was a stronger competition out there. They are SO full of themselves and need to be cancelled!

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Their RTX pushing was already getting weird when the GeForce Experience is targeting 30-40fps recommended in their optimization profiles.

RTX isn't worth it right now, and devs haven't had the time to use it properly. It even can tank a 3090 at 1440p even with DLSS on.

They should really be pushing how DLSS 2.0 is magic.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I wish there was a stronger competition out there. They are SO full of themselves and need to be cancelled!

To be fair, it looks like AMDs GPUs pretty much caught up in terms of pure rasterization, so really the only big advantage they have is in RT performance, magic DLSS, and non-gaming things like their streaming broadcasting software and NVENC. It wouldn't surprise me that Nvidia pushing RT so hard specifically because thats where their only real advantage is.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
The fact that there are multiple posts in this very thread from people claiming these folks are anti nvidia shows just how little this will matter, unfortunately.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
It's a petty move by Nvidia but I've always thought Hardware Unboxed's stance of "ray tracing and next-gen features aren't important" was pretty silly.
Yeah, when even the consoles have some sort of raytracing, it's a bit silly to ignore it.
Also, while DLSS is only supported on a handful of titles, there's no reason to ignore it, considering it's "free" performance.
But yeah, Nvidia's in the wrong here. 100%.
The fact that there are multiple posts in this very thread from people claiming these folks are anti nvidia shows just how little this will matter, unfortunately.
I would not say anti-nvidia, but anti-anything-that-isnt-raster. And there's some merit to that, but it's a bit narrow-minded after consoles and every new generation of gpus support rt.

Oct 25, 2019
How the hell are people in this thread blaming Hardware Unboxed for this or saying this is acceptable in any way? Why the hell are people excusing Nvidia trying to screw over an independent review outlet for no legitimate reason?

Saying that ray-tracing or DLSS isn't the be all and end all isn't some sort of fanboyism - it's a fact that most games aren't utilising ray-tracing or DLSS, and putting ray-tracing & DLSS in to the context of the greater gaming ecosystem is perfectly valid in a review.

Nvidia is being so scummy with this I hope there is push back and less of the corporate idolising that half the posters in this thread seem to partake in. How the hell are there fanboys for Nividia or AMD for that matter?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
RTX is a feature you turn off, and one only a hand full of games have. DLSS has even worse support. Nvidia is the one to blame for lack of support.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
This is only because by ignoring RT the 6800xt is pretty much the same card as the 3080 at a lower price.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

If 99% titles released in 2020 don't support RT it's not that important (yet). I guess HU stance will change when games adoption will increase.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. Essentially telling them "Focus on tech that's still early or you're not getting our products" is awful. Hell, Linus' video on Cyberpunk shows that RT and no DLSS cripples performance in Cyberpunk, would Nvidia prefer that as their marketing?

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guess it explains why there's so much focus on ray tracing on graphical test sites and channels when it's a tech that's still not realistic to use for more than maybe 1% of people playing games (without shitty DLSS downsampling).

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Until we can get affordable GPU that can do RT at 60 fps and DLSS on every game, then they're right to not focus much on RTX.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
Shit move of Nvidia, but I understand them without it AMD looks better, but If you take RTX and DLSS in consideration, RTX are better than the AMD cards. So If you happen to play 0 games with DLSS and RTX you can better go with AMD.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
That's a really petty move. Hardware Unboxed is easily one of the best tech channels out there and they've been nothing but completely fair during this rapid-fire slate of releases this fall. Hate to say this is likely because the RX 6000 cards go toe to toe in pure rasterization, and HU's reviews (among others) point that out.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Guess it explains why there's so much focus on ray tracing on graphical test sites and channels when it's a tech that's still not realistic to use for more than maybe 1% of people playing games (without shitty DLSS downsampling).

DLSS is shitty?

More bullshit being spewed I see.

Nvidia shouldn't have done this, on the other side a reviewer wilfully ignoring a major feature set is hardly going to endear a company to provide samples.

HardwareUnboxed is a business, business relationships between businesses are important for both businesses .... especially if one is more reliant on the other for access.

Why would Nvidia provide review samples to any reviewer who won't explore the full feature set?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

I watch most of their stuff, and can say they're really not. They just didn't care for Turing because it literally did nothing but stagnate the market and charge a premium for broken promises. The first iteration of DLSS was trash. The first few games that featured raytracing ran like hot garbage for - with the exception of Control and Metro Exodus - very little visual gain, and it practically stayed that way for two whole years. They've praised the performance and value of the 30 series, but have rightfully criticized the horrendous launch, and they've been very critical of AMD, too.

Nvidia shouldn't have done this, on the other side a reviewer wilfully ignoring a major feature set is hardly going to endear a company to provide samples.

HardwareUnboxed is a business, business relationships between businesses are important for both businesses .... especially if one is more reliant on the other for access.

Why would Nvidia provide review samples to any reviewer who won't explore the full feature set?

They don't ignore it. They show RT benchmarks and everything you'd expect, they just don't spend 50% of the review on it because they prefer higher framerates over fancy reflections and the other improvements RT brings, but that's in line with how their audience thinks. And that's obvious because a big percentage of their content is spent reviewing high refresh rate monitors, which they often purchase using money they get through Patreon.

Last edited:

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
Nvidia have done this before and they will do it again. I heard they got funny with people about PhysX performance and 'suggested' the best ways to show off tesselation versus AMD. It will just be a different feature next time.
They are perfectly within their rights to do this sort of thing, however, and they are not alone in pulling tricks like this.

It is part of the reason I have not bought Nvidia hardware directly (curse you ps3/switch) in over 15 years. I will not support their bullshit even if they do have the better tech.