• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.nvidia.com

NVIDIA at COMPUTEX Taipei 2023

May 30 - June 2, 2023

Feels pretty safe to assume it's time for that long awaited RT update to hit Doom Eternal on PC. Doubt PS5/XS updates would be mentioned here.
Siege I'd guess is there for more Reflex marketing.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty stoked to see this, and my RTX laptop is ready.

I'd love to see some mention of console developments in light of the new features to demonstrate the cross-platform chops of the Nvidia tech, but I'm also not holding my breath for that.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This RT update took a long god damn time, DLSS & Reflex would make up for it though i suppose.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This RT update took a long god damn time, DLSS & Reflex would make up for it though i suppose.
I'm pretty sure that they've lumped the RTX RT implementation into next gen consoles native versions development.
What will be interesting though is to see if Eternal will get something extra in RT on PC when compared to PS5/XS.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Rtx+ dlss would be nice. Since the performance overhead is so high I hope they push further than wolfenstien reflection only RT.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the ray tracing update is gonna be interesting to see since, I think, most of the lighting effects are baked in in order to achieve the high frame rate

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
The lightning and reflections in Eternal are already insane as is, and that's baked in. I can't imagine how the game will look with RT. ID are absolute wizards, though man. 4096x2160 just for the shits, ultra nightmare settings, and I'm still somehow getting 60fps sustained. Like, lol what?

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
My prediction: DLSS 2.1, RT reflections, and RT shadows (for shadowed particle effects in particular).

GI and AO are already baked in and with the game having largely static environments, it works just fine. Reflections and shadows are the only things that could make a material difference to the presentation.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
My prediction: DLSS 2.1, RT reflections, and RT shadows (for shadowed particle effects in particular).

GI and AO are already baked in and with the game having largely static environments, it works just fine. Reflections and shadows are the only things that could make a material difference to the presentation.

What does RT Shadows actually entail? How can you have RT Shadows without the lighting being raytraced? I've always been confused by that.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

RT reflection is a no brainer for the game, consider how many metallic surface the game has.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I am curious to see what id pulls off with ray tracing, considering DOOM Eternal's lighting is mostly baked in and highly stylized to boot, and reflections and shadows are really something I'm not going to be paying attention to in the midst of gameplay.

Can't wait to get all of the frames with DLSS, tho.

Doom 3 RTX when, id.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
I bet after this show, PC gaming scene will be doomed.

Cloud computing is the future.

Last edited:

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
What does RT Shadows actually entail? How can you have RT Shadows without the lighting being raytraced? I've always been confused by that.
Every light source has a size associated with it. Ray-traced shadows trace the rays between the light source (its described shape, usually spherical with a prescribed radius) and whatever is intersecting with it, and ONLY interacts with the light source in this way. Point lights have a specific size and falloff distance and only things that intersect with this shape are considered for ray-traced shadows.

Ray-traced global illumination, on the other hand, effectively treats surfaces as reflectors (which, unless they're literally venta black, they are) and calculates the number of times a ray of light bounces. Ambient occlusion is basically just the reverse of this, calculating the occluders rather than the reflectors. Ray-traced reflections are pretty much the same thing as global illumination except with a roughness cutoff (smoother surfaces require fewer bounces to look convincing) and a much lower number of bounces, hence why it's very popular as the use-case for console games - not to mention it tends to have a larger visual effect as reflections are the one thing you really can't bake well, with cube maps always being very obvious and screen-space reflections having severe limitations.

I hope this is understandable.
RT reflection is a no brainer for the game, consider how many metallic surface the game has.
Yep. The UAC levels in particular are going to look amazing with RT reflections.