• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
How enforceable do you think this is? I'd say basically nil.
Banning won't work. Having most jurisdictions prohibit publicly traded company from owning bitcoins would be a start (including ETFs). Also having utilities charge them consumer rates for electricity, not industry rates. The problems solve itself once the bubble deflates.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Oh, my bad.

All this price hiking happened with the 10xx series already. But not to this extend I believe. Also I cant remember how long it took before prices went back to normal then.

I am more concerned though that all of this will lead to permanently raised prices.
Manufacturers see that people pay those ridiculous prices so why not raise prices with the next series?!

Prices will def be higher than what it used to be. It already happened after the previous mining boom and the RTX 2000 series.

Back then it wasn't as bad as now, but now it's just that we are in a perfect storm: mining boom, supply shortage, pandemic restriction, tariffs in the US, increase in global demand, scalpers being more effective, etc.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I am more concerned though that all of this will lead to permanently raised prices.
Manufacturers see that people pay those ridiculous prices so why not raise prices with the next series?!

Nvidia raised prices with the 2XXX series, and it sold poorly. That's why the 3XXX series was released at a lower MSRP. Now, I wouldn't put it past them to have not learned their lesson, but I don't think we will see higher prices permanently.

Once mining profitability drops, you get the double whammy of less demand for new cards and a flood of used card supply hitting the market. The current shortage is also being driven by increased pandemic-related demand (stimulus + lack of other spending options) and pandemic-related semiconductor supply issues. Combine that with the fact that AMD is offering more competitive products, and I think the pieces are in place to potentially see a price drop if the stars were to align.

But the clickbaits!

The fact that the trottling is for ETH only always seemed a bit weird. There are many other coins which could be just as profitable for mining.

Like I said earlier in the thread, if you really want to get people to stop buying consumer cards for commercial use, the solution is to make the limitations time-based rather than algorithm-based.

Have cards start throttling after X hours of high-power-use per month. If the limit were set at an average of 8 hours per day, the vast majority of consumers would not be affected, but the break-even point for miners would triple or more. Even a lot of business users who need GPUs for work would still be fine with that limit.

Some consumers may have a psychological aversion to buying a limited card, but you could just promise to release a firmware that removes the limit once the current crisis is over.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said earlier in the thread, if you really want to get people to stop buying consumer cards for commercial use, the solution is to make the limitations time-based rather than algorithm-based.

Have cards start throttling after X hours of high-power-use per month. If the limit were set at an average of 8 hours per day, the vast majority of consumers would not be affected, but the break-even point for miners would triple or more. Even a lot of business users who need GPUs for work would still be fine with that limit.

Some consumers may have a psychological aversion to buying a limited card, but you could just promise to release a firmware that removes the limit once the current crisis is over.
That's too wide of a reach though and would likely lead to worse performance outside of mining - not something any vendor would want to do.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland

I'm anti-mining but that would be going too far, if I pay over 1000€ for a GPU I want to be able to game with it 24/7 if I wish to.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
That's too wide of a reach though and would likely lead to worse performance outside of mining - not something any vendor would want to do.

It may not be perfect, but it is a technical solution that would actually solve the problem.

So far the vendors have talked a lot about wanting to solve the crisis, but have utterly failed. As you pointed out, the algorithm-based approach will do nothing. If you have a better technical solution than the one I'm proposing, I'd love to hear it.

I'm anti-mining but that would be going too far, if I pay over 1000€ for a GPU I want to be able to game with it 24/7 if I wish to.

They could give people two options:

A: $2200 for an unlocked 3080 (current price on eBay)
B: $900 for a 3080 that was limited to 8 hours per day until the supply crisis is over, then unlimited after that

I think a lot of people would go for B, but if you want to go with A, it's your money.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
videocardz.com

NVIDIA GeForce 470.05 driver confirmed to remove GeForce RTX 3060 ETH mining limiter - VideoCardz.com

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060’s unhackable mining limiter has been hacked Two German publications have now confirmed that simply by using a special driver, the Ethereum limiter appears to be nonfunctional. NVIDIA announced that their new mid-range RTX 3060 graphics card will have a built-in anti...
Lol. Nvidia removing limiter on the 3060 themselves in a driver release. So much for combating miners.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
videocardz.com

NVIDIA GeForce 470.05 driver confirmed to remove GeForce RTX 3060 ETH mining limiter - VideoCardz.com

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060’s unhackable mining limiter has been hacked Two German publications have now confirmed that simply by using a special driver, the Ethereum limiter appears to be nonfunctional. NVIDIA announced that their new mid-range RTX 3060 graphics card will have a built-in anti...
Lol. Nvidia removing limiter on the 3060 themselves in a driver release. So much for combating miners.
This is really.... some "effort" on Nvidia's part. They couldn't be even bothered to lock the bios or anything. What an epic fail.