• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
No, it didn't. Contrary to a popular theory 20 series were not "overpriced", they were more or less the same price/perf as Pascal. The fact that Nv had issues selling them when compared to Pascal was down to used market being flooded with cheap Pascals from mining rigs.

It really made no sense buying a 2070 when you could get a 1080Ti cheaper

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
No lol, let's not rewrite history here. Those cards got fucking slammed for being baby steps over the previous cards yet they cost nearly twice as much.
Rewriting history is exactly what you are doing here.

performance-per-dollar_2560-1440.png

1080Ti=2080
1080=2070
2060 has actually beaten all 10 series cards at launch.
The only card which had a clear disadvantage was 2080Ti. My condolences to those who still can't divide model names from their lineup positions.

If you have issues selling current stock while your past stuff is on the shelves, then you released either a bad and/or an overpriced product. In that case, nvidia did both.
They haven't done either. Turing would have been selling in more or less the same fashion as Pascal was if not the mining crash flooding the second hand market. And it did in fact once the mining cards were all off ebay and such. Again, all the data is there.

It really made no sense buying a 2070 when you could get a 1080Ti cheaper
Second hand one. Which is exactly what I'm saying.
A new 1080Ti was $700. A new 2070 was $500-600.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

1080Ti=2080
1080=2070
The only card which had a clear disadvantage was 2080Ti. My condolences to those who still can't divide model names from their lineup positions.

They haven't done either. Turing would have been selling in more or less the same fashion as Pascal was if not the mining crash flooding the second hand market. And it did in fact once the mining cards were all off ebay and such. Again, all the data is there.

Second hand one. Which is exactly what I'm saying.
A new 1080Ti was $700. A new 2070 was $500-600.

I think you are both right about the 20 series. The cards weren't as bad a value proposition as people thought they were, but nonetheless the general sentiment I saw expressed by PC gamers is that they would just sit tight on their 10 series cards waiting for the 30 series launch. Little did they know what a shit show that would be. I know that I didn't see any of the 20 series cards as a worthwhile upgrade for the money for my 1080. Rightly or wrongly the 20 series cards were viewed as a bad value proposition.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The cards weren't as bad a value proposition as people thought they were, but nonetheless the general sentiment I saw expressed by PC gamers is that they would just sit tight on their 10 series cards waiting for the 30 series launch.
Sure because as I've said 20 series had about the same perf/price as 10 series. So unless you were interested in new features there were no immediate reason to upgrade from 10 to 20 series. This isn't the same as saying that "cards got fucking slammed for being baby steps over the previous cards yet they cost nearly twice as much". They didn't cost anywhere "twice as much" as they did in fact cost about the same for similar performance and they weren't slammed for that at all. Rewriting history and all.

The point is that if it wasn't for the flood of used mining cards circa 1H19 Turing cards would be selling about the same as Pascal cards were in 17 - since they had basically the same price per performance. The used market Pascal flood pushed Nv's 2019 revenue down hard however which was further hit by the disappearance of mining demand around the same time. And this is what they are trying to avoid this time by pushing out mining onto mining products.

4893391-15891946499645305_origin.png

^^^ Qs there are financial ones with 2019 Q3 being Aug-Oct 2018 and the next two Qs are Nov-Jan 2019 and Feb-Apr 2019.
It basically took them a year to recover from the last mining craze.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Sure because as I've said 20 series had about the same perf/price as 10 series. So unless you were interested in new features there were no immediate reason to upgrade from 10 to 20 series. This isn't the same as saying that "cards got fucking slammed for being baby steps over the previous cards yet they cost nearly twice as much". They didn't cost anywhere "twice as much" as they did in fact cost about the same for similar performance and they weren't slammed for that at all. Rewriting history and all.

The point is that if it wasn't for the flood of used mining cards circa 1H19 Turing cards would be selling about the same as Pascal cards were in 17 - since they had basically the same price per performance. The used market Pascal flood pushed Nv's 2019 revenue down hard however which was further hit by the disappearance of mining demand around the same time. And this is what they are trying to avoid this time by pushing out mining onto mining products.

4893391-15891946499645305_origin.png

^^^ Qs there are financial ones with 2019 Q3 being Aug-Oct 2018 and the next two Qs are Nov-Jan 2019 and Feb-Apr 2019.
It basically took them a year to recover from the last mining craze.

Alternatively the 20 series was a huge flop among PC gamers and there just wasn't much enthusiasm for the cards unless someone just had to play one of the few games with RTX or DLSS 2.0. Sometimes a company just makes an unappealing product line up. If you are right though Steam user statistics should back you up by showing a surge of 10 series cards that steadily appeared on the market for some time after the 20 series launch. Those cards would not have previously been in game machines and would have continued to build the 10 series user numbers up after the 20 series launched if your theory is correct. If this was the case I never heard anyone talk about it.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Alternatively the 20 series was a huge flop among PC gamers and there just wasn't much enthusiasm for the cards unless someone just had to play one of the few games with RTX or DLSS 2.0. Sometimes a company just makes an unappealing product line up. If you are right though Steam user statistics should back you up by showing a surge of 10 series cards that steadily appeared on the market for some time after the 20 series launch. Those cards would not have previously been in game machines and would have continued to build the 10 series user numbers up after the 20 series launched if your theory is correct. If this was the case I never heard anyone talk about it.
I would expect to see more 1080s/1080tis if cheap mining cards were the reason for the 20xx series underperforming. In fact, I seriously regret not snagging a 1080ti myself when they dropped to $400 used, before the current debacle.

The xx60 is Nvidia's workhorse and it wouldn't have been as affected by the mining mania. So that tells me that people just weren't impressed by the value proposition of the 20xx series. And there was a thread here with the same sentiment.

And we might be about due for the next series after prices finally come back down from orbit, which is going to be weird.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
And we might be about due for the next series after prices finally come back down from orbit, which is going to be weird.

AMD is finally back in the game. So it's hard to say how that arms race will play out, but I can imagine they are in no hurry until the silicon shortage starts to let up.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

1080Ti=2080
1080=2070

Huh? The 2060 barely beat the 1070ti lmao. And loses to the 1080/ti variants. Moving away from the 2060 and above makes the pricing for each card look significantly worse. On average it was about ~28% more performance for 40% more on price. Which is really bad considering it was new architecture. There are countless reviews from the time saying how the new cards weren't worth the price markup because there was like 2 games that supported those features at the time. Even now there's only a couple dozen games with ray tracing. The main selling point of the 3xxx cards is DLSS (which was awful at the time of 2xxx launch) and the fact they weren't launched at crazy prices.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Eh, a lot of PC gamers were firmly on the "wait-for-the-next-card" train. The performance gains didn't quite feel worth it at the time and DLSS/ RT wasn't really adopted. So sure it wasn't "twice as much" but it was also not as exciting a product - which was Skittle's point.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, a lot of PC gamers were firmly on the "wait-for-the-next-card" train. The performance gains didn't quite feel worth it at the time and DLSS/ RT wasn't really adopted. So sure it wasn't "twice as much" but it was also not as exciting a product - which was Skittle's point.
I can relate. I had 1080Ti so for me entire RTX20 lineup was totally forgettable. 2080Ti was just overpriced and felt "meh". Not enough raster performance increase over 1080Ti and first gen raytracing performance was also underwhelming.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Value wasn't the problem for the 20-series, it was the lack of a significant performance boost outside of the 2080Ti, which was so freakin' expensive. Unless you really wanted RTX, there was no point in upgrading. I already had a 1080, and moved to a 2080, which was kind of silly at the time, but I'm glad I got a 2080 now lol. I can at least stay sort of current until more new cards are available.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively the 20 series was a huge flop among PC gamers and there just wasn't much enthusiasm for the cards unless someone just had to play one of the few games with RTX or DLSS 2.0.
The problem with that theory is that Nv was still selling 20 series up until 30 series launch which is for about two years while the financial issues lasted for about three quarters. So a "huge flop" has somehow become a success and it happened directly after the period of mining hangover of early 2019. I wonder why...

Huh? The 2060 barely beat the 1070ti lmao. And loses to the 1080/ti variants. Moving away from the 2060 and above makes the pricing for each card look significantly worse. On average it was about ~28% more performance for 40% more on price. Which is really bad considering it was new architecture. There are countless reviews from the time saying how the new cards weren't worth the price markup because there was like 2 games that supported those features at the time. Even now there's only a couple dozen games with ray tracing. The main selling point of the 3xxx cards is DLSS (which was awful at the time of 2xxx launch) and the fact they weren't launched at crazy prices.
I've quite literally given you a graph on pricing from one of reviews. You can take it up with TPU if you has something which proves your point.

His point was that it cost twice as much - which it didn't.
Also his point was that it didn't sell because it cost twice as much and not because of post-mining wave of used Pascal cards - which it also didn't as can be seen from revenue graphs which went back up during the lifespan of 20 series just fine.
Now the only real option which marries "costing twice as much" and "Turing sucked lol" points is the one I'm talking about: Turing did cost twice as much as comparable Pascal cards *on the used market after the mining collapse of 2018*. And this is exactly what Nv is trying to avoid with this new mining wave.

Nov 2, 2017
Barely beating the 1070Ti means it was on par with a 1080. Once games started taking advantage of Turing it consistently beat the 1080 too. Not that I disagree with you that Turing was too expensive for what it offered.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
I have both a 2060 and 1080 and they're neck and neck...with the 2060 getting the advantage due to tensor cores and lower energy consumption.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I understand people have concerns with the environmental and GPU supply consequences crypto has right now, but too many people are far invested into the market right now. We're talking retirement funds similar to Roth IRAs at this point. If crypto crashes than a lot of people will get fucked
The market doesn't need GPUs.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Eth isn't recovering that well after the dip, looks like we may get a flood of of mined amperes soon anyway.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
His point was that it cost twice as much - which it didn't.
Also his point was that it didn't sell because it cost twice as much and not because of post-mining wave of used Pascal cards - which it also didn't as can be seen from revenue graphs which went back up during the lifespan of 20 series just fine.
Now the only real option which marries "costing twice as much" and "Turing sucked lol" points is the one I'm talking about: Turing did cost twice as much as comparable Pascal cards *on the used market after the mining collapse of 2018*. And this is exactly what Nv is trying to avoid with this new mining wave.

You are hyperfocused on the "twice as much" when this:

"If you have issues selling current stock while your past stuff is on the shelves, then you released either a bad and/or an overpriced product. In that case, nvidia did both. There was also barely any games that could actually take advantage of rtx features for like a year. So those features were going to waste and not driving adaption."

seems to be his bigger point in the discussion.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I've already replied to this "point" with enough evidence to prove that it's factually wrong. Bigger and all.

There is steam user data showing significant 10 series user growth long after the 20 series launched? Without showing such growth after the 20 series launched there's not really a case to be made that used mining cards had any impact on 20 series sales.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
There is steam user data showing significant 10 series user growth long after the 20 series launched? Without showing such growth after the 20 series launched there's not really a case to be made that used mining cards had any impact on 20 series sales.
You are as able to check this data as I am.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You are the one making the claim.
I've provided enough data which backs up what I'm claiming.
If you want to make a counter point you're free to dig into the Steam stats.
I'm not entirely sure that Steam stats would be that indicative here as I'd expect many if not most cards used for mining to actually register there at some point prior to being resold after the market crash but whatever - you may be right.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Did you even bother to open your own link? Read what it says there.

"There are also other factors and much of that has to do with the GeForce RTX cards and their main highlight, the RTX feature. First of all, we should look at the prices of GeForce RTX 20 series cards which are highest in their graphics segment. The other thing is the performance increase per gen which is also lower than what previous generations had to offer. If we look at Pascal, the GeForce GTX 1070 and GeForce GTX 1080 gave users a lot of reason to upgrade and weren't priced out of range of the mainstream audience. The GTX 1080 Ti was the king of the hill for a full 2 years and had a price of just $699 US."

"The current situation is completely different. NVIDIA is offering the GTX 1080 successor for the price of a GTX 1080 Ti which offers around the same performance of the previous flagship at $699 US. Same can be said for the RTX 2070 which exceeds the performance of a GTX 1080 but costs the same at $499 US. The GeForce RTX 2060costs $349 US and that's about the same as the GTX 1070 but here, it does offer somewhat better performance."

"The GeForce RTX 2080 TI remains the king of the hill just like every other NVIDIA flagship part but costs twice as much as the GTX 1080 Ti if you are going for a custom flavored card. Overall, the price margin has gone really out of place with the GeForce RTX lineup and following is a generational breakdown of graphics segments from NVIDIA over the last couple of years."

Almost like people weren't seeing a good performance increase for the price and would rather have waited.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'm not sure anymore what is the argument here but the initial reaction to RTX cards was indeed negative, Nvidia says it quite clearly

In addition, sales of certain high-end GPUs using NVIDIA's new Turing™ architecture were lower than expected. These products deliver a revolutionary leap in performance and innovation with real-time ray tracing and AI, but some customers may have delayed their purchase while waiting for lower price points and further demonstrations of RTX technology in actual games.
nvidianews.nvidia.com

NVIDIA Updates Financial Guidance for Fourth Quarter of Fiscal Year 2019

NVIDIA today updated its financial guidance for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2019, reflecting weaker than forecasted sales of its Gaming and Datacenter platforms.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, the price margin has gone really out of place with the GeForce RTX lineup and following is a generational breakdown of graphics segments from NVIDIA over the last couple of years.
I've already posted a graph on this. You can either look at the data or read whatever WTFTech is writing, your choice.
As I've said and shown, Turing sales were fine as soon as the market has burned through the excess of 2nd hand Pascal h/w sold by miners after the crash. They were just as fine as Pascal's prior to previous mining wave which alone makes all the cries about the prices completely bogus.

I'm not sure anymore what is the argument here but the initial reaction to RTX cards was indeed negative, Nvidia says it quite clearly
That argument is whether this fact which you've posted was due to the effect of post-mining 2nd hand sales on the market or the actual issues with Turing positioning, with the latter being backed by such strong arguments as "Turing price was twice that of Pascal".

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I've already posted a graph on this. You can either look at the data or read whatever WTFTech is writing, your choice.
As I've said and shown, Turing sales were fine as soon as the market has burned through the excess of 2nd hand Pascal h/w sold by miners after the crash. They were just as fine as Pascal's prior to previous mining wave which alone makes all the cries about the prices completely bogus.

Or you could go look at what Nvidia said literally right above you. I'm not sure how the cries about the price were bogus to anyone except fans of the company.

EDIT: Also the selective quoting to try and make sure you come out sounding right is played out. You took a piece of hyperbole from another poster and tried to make it the thrust of their argument and keep ignoring that Nvidia, several gamers here, and media outlets all saw the 2000 series underperform because at the initial showing the value simply wasn't as strong as it'd previously been.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Or you could go look at what Nvidia said literally right above you. I'm not sure how the cries about the price were bogus to anyone except fans of the company.
I did look at what Nvidia "said literally", in contrast to you reading whatever bullshit WCFTech made up to get clicks.
It's not hard, what Nvidia has said is actually quoted there. Go read it.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I did look at what Nvidia "said literally", in contrast to you reading whatever bullshit WCFTech made up to get clicks.
It's not hard, what Nvidia has said is actually quoted there. Go read it.

In addition, sales of certain high-end GPUs using NVIDIA's new Turing™ architecture were lower than expected. These products deliver a revolutionary leap in performance and innovation with real-time ray tracing and AI, but some customers may have delayed their purchase while waiting for lower price points and further demonstrations of RTX technology in actual games.

Man what are you talking about?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Now couple this to the fact that Turing had the exact same price points as Pascal before that and you'll arrive to one obvious conclusion: Turing was fighting against used market sales.

Man what are you talking about?
I thought it would be obvious now since I'm repeating myself for a third time.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Well, that dream didn't last long.

www.tomshardware.com

Despite Nvidia's Anti-Mining Lock, RTX 3060 Can Still Earn Up To $7 a Day Mining

Is it all just a complicated PR stunt?
Eh, Eth is crabbing around 1.5-1.6k, i don't know if miners will rush to buy a 3060 right now, scalpers 100% will though.
There is also the stim checks probably coming, once uncle joe signs it, people will rush to buy a GPU, scalpers know people will be happy to pay the mark up.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, Eth is crabbing around 1.5-1.6k, i don't know if miners will rush to buy a 3060 right now, scalpers 100% will though.
There is also the stim checks probably coming, once uncle joe signs it, people will rush to buy a GPU, scalpers know people will be happy to pay the mark up.
I always figured scalpers and gamers trying to get the GPU would be the biggest issue. Even without mining chip shortage and tariffs means these gpus are going to be rare and expensive unless you get lucky.

Brokenrobot

Jul 12, 2018
All this damage just to make nonsense internet money that can only be used to buy drugs and child porn. This species doesn't stand a chance

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that dream didn't last long.

www.tomshardware.com

Despite Nvidia's Anti-Mining Lock, RTX 3060 Can Still Earn Up To $7 a Day Mining

Is it all just a complicated PR stunt?
That's expected. They halved the hash rate but it's still able to mine.
The idea behind this is to make the card's price/mining worse than that of a dedicated CMP/HX lineup based on Turing chips. They've essentially made Ampere perform similarly to Turing in mining.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.techradar.com

Cryptominers have already cracked Nvidia's RTX 3060 hash rate limiter

That certainly didn't take long

A picture spotted by I_Leak_VN reveals a Chinese mod developed to help miners unlock the full hash potential of the GeForce RTX 3060 graphics card, with the image showing the Geforce RTX 3060 delivering 45 MH/s in Ethereum. The hash-rate limiter mod has also been separately confirmed to work by a Vietnamese Facebook group, apparently even capable of outputting 50 MH/s.

EwGiUHNVoAI7MYV

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I mean they already do it with PS5s and I doubt that sony will be able to take care of it either.
Pretty sure that the shortage of PS5s will hold on quite a bit longer because of this. Why spend over 1000€ for a 3080 if you can get the same hash rate with a PS5?!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I mean they already do it with PS5s and I doubt that sony will be able to take care of it either.
Pretty sure that the shortage of PS5s will hold on quite a bit longer because of this. Why spend over 1000€ for a 3080 if you can get the same hash rate with a PS5?!

The PS5 thing was fake, though I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up happening.

I wasn't believing that this would end in 2021, but looks like it might take longer into 2022

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
The PS5 thing was fake, though I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up happening.

I wasn't believing that this would end in 2021, but looks like it might take longer into 2022

Oh, my bad.

All this price hiking happened with the 10xx series already. But not to this extend I believe. Also I cant remember how long it took before prices went back to normal then.

I am more concerned though that all of this will lead to permanently raised prices.
Manufacturers see that people pay those ridiculous prices so why not raise prices with the next series?!