• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Would you mind linking to a source? Quick search about pilots seeing over 1000fps takes me to Battle.net and it doesn't have proper sourcing.

I can't find anything definitive, but apparently I was remembering the story wrong and it was 1 frame at 220 fps according to most things I could find referencing it. For that one frame pilots were allegedly not only able to see a fighter, but to identify which model it was.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Feels really useless. Even the most powerful cpus can't handle even 144 in modern games.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Feels really useless. Even the most powerful cpus can't handle even 144 in modern games.

There are 2 benefits 2 high refreshrate one of them doesn't need the game to match it's fps in order to be experienced.

As long as sample and hold displays have their flaws the more refreshrate the quicker the screen is redrawn. Don't whine about double frames on a gysnc situation and there is capping too so the benefit is still there vs a 60hz pos.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
I love my 240hz monitor. The best part is playing 2D games with unlocked frame rates. The motion clarity is stunning. Stuff like Hollow Knight and Rogue legacy look and feel amazing to play at 240 fps.
I also have a 240 hz monitor but I never thought about it that way, interesting!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I love my 240hz monitor. The best part is playing 2D games with unlocked frame rates. The motion clarity is stunning. Stuff like Hollow Knight and Rogue legacy look and feel amazing to play at 240 fps.
THe one thing I have noticed about 2d games in the past is that many do not unlock above 60! But it is nice to see that it is the case that a number of larger titles do!

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
That's neat, but I think I would still prefer the extra bump in clarity that comes with 1440p over 360hz.

1440p/120hz is good enough for me, but my days of competitive gaming are long over.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
That's neat, but I think I would still prefer the extra bump in clarity that comes with 1440p over 360hz.

1440p/120hz is good enough for me, but my days of competitive gaming are long over.

I don't competitive game and still prefer motion clarity to a resolution bump that doesn't have the dpi it should.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
THe one thing I have noticed about 2d games in the past is that many do not unlock above 60! But it is nice to see that it is the case that a number of larger titles do!

So many seem to tie game logic to fps alas. My go to for testing is limiting frame rate via rivatuner to sub 10fps and seeing if the game slows to a crawl :p

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still rocking a 1080p 144Hz lol
I don't think my 1070 can go above that in most titles (non e-sports ones at least)

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Supposed to come out in "June" of this year, so if you're interested in it, I'd put it at 4Q of 2019. They always miss the ship date with this things.

But 360hz is impressive. I'm glad we're starting to see some improvement in monitor tech, things have been a big stagnant for a while. I wouldn't get this, I absolutely cannot deal with 1080p, after using my 27UQ since it's release, but nice development for those who are super into the competitive scene.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Resident sleeeeper

Wake me up when we finally get some good HDR monitors. I don't need hz beyond 144.

Oct 28, 2017
High refresh rate monitors are always great, but what about applications of having 360 Hertz?

How many games can run at 360FPS?
What kind of hardware configuration do you need to run those games (or even the desktop at 360 Hertz)?

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Nice to see higher refresh rate monitors, but I can't go back to 16:9. I'll definitely consider a 21:9 version, if they end up having good panels, in the future.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, I'll probably want this. The jump from 60 to 144 was a revelation. Just think about why it feels like moving your mouse across the desktop in 360hz!

And people who want higher res or another panel tech are not really the target audience for this display. It's not meant to have nice colors or high pixel density, it's all about refresh rate.

Hope we'll see other displays without gsync at that speed. Gsync costs too much frames.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Seriously 1080p gaming is way better than 4K gaming, don't know why some peiple here are trying to make fun of 1080p.

Last edited:

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
I have a 240 Hz 1080p monitor and it's much smoother than my ultrawide 1440p monitor at 100Hz. The biggest advantages are the TN panel vs the VA panel on my ultrawide and the backlight strobing feature which makes it feel much, much faster. There's still a noticeable amount of image retention even at 240 Hz but as stated, we're going to need much more power to push high refresh rates on newer titles. I'm fine with 240 Hz on a 1080p TN panel but for an upgrade I'd like to see an HDR ultrawide low motion blur display. Not sure how hard that would be since the brightness dips down with low motion blur active and local dimming is a premium on PC monitors.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
No pricing yet? I guess Nvidia knows that once people see the price they'll turn 360Hz and walk away.
giphy.gif

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
People making comments about it being 1080p but don't 60-70% of PC gamers game at 1080p.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
People making comments about it being 1080p but don't 60-70% of PC gamers game at 1080p.

We are on an enthusiast video game forum, so i would assume that the people who frequents this forum and are even slighty interested on this thread are exactly the ones that have the best monitors available on the market already...

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
We are on an enthusiast video game forum, so i would assume that the people who frequents this forum and are even slighty interested on this thread are exactly the ones that have the best monitors available on the market already...
What are you saying? Is this the place where pc masters meet?

way too often people on this forum have no clue about FPS and resolutions. It's a console forum first and foremost, and many here fell for console pr blabber.

Do people really think there's hardware to play games at 4K 300fps?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
What are you saying? Is this the place where pc masters meet?

way too often people on this forum have no clue about FPS and resolutions. It's a console forum first and foremost, and many here fell for console pr blabber.

Do people really think there's hardware to play games at 4K 300fps?

Maybe CS 1.6 lol

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about older retro games?
Because pretty much all popular 2d platformers made today will go much higher than 60fps, with no trouble.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
My laptop has a 240 Hz (VA) screen and while I can notice the difference between it and my 144 Hz (TN) monitor, the difference isn't huge. I imagine at that point diminishing returns are in full force. But more FPS is always factually better, so I won't complain!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Because to get a decent monitor it is going to be low resolution.

Everyone will freak out when it's $800 and not buy it.

Like many PC gaming products, this is a niche of a niche, but if you are a professional player or an aspiring one, then this is surely going to be of interest to you , as it literally gives you an advantage.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Because pretty much all popular 2d platformers made today will go much higher than 60fps, with no trouble.
I am talking about retro styled 2d platforms (using 2d art) made at least since 2008. I have not played many recently, but many of the ones I tried to get above 60+ did not tend to work at all or correctly.

But like I said, I have not tried any recent popular releases.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As previously mentioned, the ability to distinguish between frame rates varies from person to person. Personally, I'm having a hard time feeling the difference between my 144Hz monitor and a standard 60Hz display, but I also recognize that it's probably because I'm not very used to 144Hz.

Point is, this monitor is probably going to be very popular amongst esports folk. I suspect 144Hz would be good enough for most of the general public.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seriously researched getting a high refresh rate monitor, even though my graphics card could probably run at high frame rates for some games - because in a lot of threads about 120Hz+ monitors I see posts like "I can't go back to 60Hz now after trying it".

Since I like to play console exclusives as well as on PC, I feel like if that's a common reaction and I end up finding the same were I to get a higher refresh rate monitor, then it might "spoil" 60fps console games for me as I'll be too used to higher frame rates on PC. The new consoles are able to go up to 120Hz, but my current gaming TV isn't, and I doubt framerates that high will be common anyway on console, as I assume most games will push better graphics quality at 60fps instead.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Isn't it a fact that something like the smallest percentile can actually see above 250fps? I seem to remember that basically average Joe can't really spot anything above 250 unless you're fighter pilot material.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Seriously 1080p gaming is way better than 4K gaming, don't know why some peiple here are trying to make fun of 1080p.

Baring the case the monitor actually did support 4K. Actually how many games would be able to support that high of a refresh rate and feasibly be able run at that refresh rate at 4K to begin with. I'm going out on a limb to say it's just knee jerk reaction with not much critical thinking process.

Lot of folks complain about not being able to get 4K@60 on modern titles. Even factoring old games which would which baring those with capped resolutions still aren't going to run a higher frame rates at 4K compared to that at 1080p, especially in a competitive environment which would the nature of one of these sorts of monitors would be utilized for.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dare to put a bet that 9/10 people won't notice much difference past 144hz. Quite a pointless product. (144hz screen user here)

A 144hz OLED 1440p screen would be ideal

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
People already talk about big diminishing returns after 144hz. 360hz seems like overkill for little gain.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Honestly I feel like this refresh rate race is starting to becoming gimicky AF. From the information I've gathered in the past few years, few pro gamers admit that they can notice a significant difference between 144hz and 240hz for example. I've recently bought a gaming laptop with a 240hz refresh rate and while it's a fantastic experience to scroll pages in a web browser (amazing fluidity and motion clarity) or simply move the mouse around in windows, I honestly can't really tell a difference between 144hz and 240hz while gaming unless I'm doing some very specific movement where I "kind" of see a difference, I guess? That refresh rate race feels like flavor of the month to me, only it's lasting way past its welcomed state.

But what do I know, me and my old eyes? Maybe younger folks are celebrating this focus on this specific area?

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
I dare to put a bet that 9/10 people won't notice much difference past 144hz. Quite a pointless product. (144hz screen user here)

A 144hz OLED 1440p screen would be ideal
It's not just about the refresh rate / frame rate; it's also about lowering the response times and for motion blur reduction, the higher refresh rates help. Blurbusters has a lot of information about all of that stuff.