• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well, that's great news!
I bought a 144Hz monitor for my pc earlier this year, and it has freesync, but I couldn't use it like that because I have a 1070.
So now the value of it just doubled.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Isn't G-Sync better than Freesync?
Generally the hardware is more capable (i.e. larger frequency ranges, better pixel switching times across all color transitions).

But given that VRR is more and more shipped "for free" in some hardware, it's obviously nice to be able to use that (even if the capabilities are more limited) on NV GPUs as well.

I personally own a Samsung monitor with VRR, curious to see if that will work.

Yep, inevitable! I am happy to see this and I hope they have some nice indexing of Monitor Ranges on their Website and support as the driver grows.
My Samsung NU8000 55 ich from 2018 would really benefit from this for example.

I am also curious to see how effective that toggle Option is!

Admitting defeat is a silly OP title btw - Come ON ResetERA!
Yeah, that's some grade school level editorializing.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
G-Sync has always been a bit better because it worked down to lower refresh rates
This is a a bit incorrect. Freesync did work with LFR, you just needed a panel that supported it. G-sync was a lot more rigid as a spec than Freesync 1.

Labelling on Freesync could be chaotic, but there is no reason a person should have needed a more expensive panel if they only cared about VRR in the range of 40-60hz.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Cute how Nvidia avoid the wording "Freesync" and emphasizes that only 12 of the tested monitors reached "Nvidia standards".

The repeated bloviating about how few pass their rigorous standards is almost certainly a way for Nvidia to suggest "yes, VRR works for Nvidia GPU's without a Gsync module now, but in just our humble opinion almost of those screens are dookie compared to ours. A lower class of screen!" Regardless, I'm happy they're finally budging on the issue. It really rubbed me the wrong way that once you buy a Gsync monitor, you're basically committing to Nvidia for the life of the monitor (not that AMD has made convincing strides to pull people over to them yet).

Apr 9, 2018
Gsync really needs to die. Thankfully Intel's dGPUs coming in 2020 will put another nail in the coffin of charging huge premiums for something your competitors offer for free.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The repeated bloviating about how few pass their rigorous standards is almost certainly a way for Nvidia to suggest "yes, VRR works for Nvidia GPU's without a Gsync module now, but in just our humble opinion almost of those screens are dookie compared to ours. A lower class of screen!" Regardless, I'm happy they're finally budging on the issue. It really rubbed me the wrong way that once you buy a Gsync monitor, you're basically committing to Nvidia for the life of the monitor (not that AMD has made convincing strides to pull people over to them yet).
They aren't wrong.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
If they support Asus MG279Q with tweaked higher freesync range... I might be interested in nVidia cards again. Still seems doubtful, tho.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
"Freesync" is an AMD marketing name for VRR. Complaining that Nvidia is not using it is like complaining about AMD not saying that their CPUs have "Hyperthreading" (which is an Intel marketing name for SMT).
Thank you. I was joking around which I already mentioned some comments above. Next time I do a better job to make that visible to the reader.

Last edited:

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah, but judging by the number of people excited to be able to use a cheaper option for VRR with their Nvidia cards, the magnitude of the difference in panel quality (of all Freesync monitors, not just the Nvidia select) compared to Gsync is not enough to support the Gsync price hike. With Nvidia opening the floodgates to satisfactory, lower price alternatives that don't lock you into buying Nvidia products in the future they need to either actively play up their brand or downplay the quality of the alternative. That was what I was suggesting they were doing.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
YES!!!
I was already far too disappointed when it appeared that Freesync was active on NVIDIA cards a few months ago but it happened to be a mistake by a reporter.

I constantly juggle between 50, 60 and 75 hz in order to have everything at a stable refresh rate and it's annoying to manually change that every time.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Isn't G-Sync better than Freesync?
I believe one of the big differences is that GSYNC monitors have more optimal pixel response times for dynamic refresh times, whereas freesync has it only optimized for the maximum refresh rate.
(not sure though, might be a monitor specific thing)
whoops double post, sry

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how much a gsync monitor costs compared to the free sync ones, I'm really happy.

If it's proven that it works as advertised with all monitors I might be on the market for a new one

Slochy

Oct 25, 2017
Got a Q9FN TV which supports Freesync. Being a G-SYNC user myself for several years now, I'm about to weep tears of joy.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
So all monitors that have freesync will be supported? What if my monitor not in the list (LG32UD99) , will it be bugged or something? what does failed testing mean?

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I don't mind paying the nvidia tax but both my TV and my 49inch chg90 do not have any versions that have gsync so I'm happy they're trying.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Smart move. I was 100% ready to make my next GPU an AMD card just because of how expensive and locked down Gsync is. Will have to reconsider.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be infinitely more useful to know what issues makes a monitor not "G-Sync Compatible" than to just get a list of monitors that passed. I hope they'll publish all test results, but I expect the worst.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
So all monitors that have freesync will be supported? What if my monitor not in the list (LG32UD99) , will it be bugged or something? what does failed testing mean?

Freesync is not a standard. So what any monitor supports for variable refresh rates is completely up to the manufacturer. If the driver isn't somehow able to be aware of the refresh rate limitations of a specific monitor there may be technical issues when the driver tries to drive the display out of it's range.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017

It'd be infinitely more useful to know what issues makes a monitor not "G-Sync Compatible" than to just get a list of monitors that passed.

You will have an option to toggle it on with any async monitor via drivers. As for the testing, I'll quote another nvidia page that was just put up.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

The GeForce community loves G-SYNC, and many gamers have asked for a trimmed down, GeForce-compatible Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) experience. However, with a wide variety of VRR ranges and in some cases a narrow VRR operating range the VRR feature may only work when the game framerate is in a narrow, very specific range. Which is often not the case, as game frame rates vary significantly from moment to moment.

In addition, not all monitors go through a formal certification process, display panel quality varies, and there may be other issues that prevent gamers from receiving a noticeably-improved experience.

There are good monitors out there though, and so to bring these monitors to GeForce gamers, and expand the G-SYNC ecosystem, we're introducing "G-SYNC Compatible". We will test monitors that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce GTX 10-Series and GeForce RTX 20-Series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically, enabling GeForce gamers to find and buy VRR monitors that will improve their gaming experience.

G-SYNC Compatible testing validates that the monitor does not show blanking, pulsing, flickering, ghosting or other artifacts during VRR gaming. They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz), and offer the gamer a seamless experience by enabling VRR by default.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, how does that work? Like manual activation? Would it work in all FreeSync monitors?

According to their press release, yeah:
Support for G-SYNC Compatible monitors will begin Jan. 15 with the launch of our first 2019 Game Ready driver. Already, 12 monitors have been validated as G-SYNC Compatible (from the 400 we have tested so far). We'll continue to test monitors and update our support list. For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we'll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Yeah, but judging by the number of people excited to be able to use a cheaper option for VRR with their Nvidia cards, the magnitude of the difference in panel quality (of all Freesync monitors, not just the Nvidia select) compared to Gsync is not enough to support the Gsync price hike. With Nvidia opening the floodgates to satisfactory, lower price alternatives that don't lock you into buying Nvidia products in the future they need to either actively play up their brand or downplay the quality of the alternative. That was what I was suggesting they were doing.

As a G-Sync display owner I welcome having the option to choose Freesync if a suitable monitor comes along. G-Sync displays have had a pretty narrow selection for years. The G-Sync module has some benefits such as being guaranteed to work as Nvidia envisioned and it also had the Ultra Low Motion Blur mode which strobes the backlight at 120 Hz for CRT-like motion clarity that I liked using for fast paced games where I have 60+ framerates at all times. Unfortunately the ULMB mode seems to be going the way of the dodo.

We are one step closer to getting back to a world where we don't have to choose displays and/or GPUs based on support for specific variable refresh rate tech and that is great for everyone.

HugoLiu

Oct 30, 2017
great news! And the only bad news is I need to sell my kidney so I can affort the 2019 LG oled TV

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now if only AMD cards supported G-sync then I'd be happy. As someone with a G-sync monitor I don't like the feeling of being stuck with nvidia graphics cards. Especially based on their recent pricing.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Glad for this. Will probably get a freesync monitor now as gysnc are always too pricey compared

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's nice news, now I just wait for 4k HDR VRR monitors to go below 400€ and I have a new monitor :D

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I remember saying Nvidia had to do exactly this, and people laughing in this forum because Gsync is superior with better hardware standards. Just pathetic.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Curious if limiting the refresh rate with vsync off will completely get rid of tearing once the drivers are out. Nvidia say that monitors with small windows of vrr are out there but I ain't interested in dropping from 40 to 144 or anything, I just would choose settings to minimise the 1 percent lows.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's great news. Although my XPS 15 don't support VRR (on account of having switchable graphics between i-/dgpu), having more options for GPUs for my Core X eGPU is very nice as I bough a Q series TV partly because of the Freesync support.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, cool, I bought a cheap LG UK650 off an acquaintance late last year. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
So G-sync could work on TVs that support VRR too? My husband prefers playing on a 4k TV for his monitor, but we are in need of a new TV, so I was thinking it could be a good idea to swap out his current one for a VRR supporting one. His 1060 isn't quite enough for performance at high resolution, so this would definitely help.