• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So 10 and 20 series only, good thing I got a 1080 at least but shocked it's not on 9 series.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning to go Radeon for my next GPU since it didn't seem like they would support VRR. My experience with Radeon 480 was amazing (I loved overclocking, and the ability to edit the bios easily), but I had to sell it because people were buying them for double it's cost, now I have Nvidia. I guess I can get ready to buy an awesome monitor now, and maybe look forward to picking between Radeon, Nvidia, and maybe Intel for the GPU in a year or so.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
So 10 and 20 series only, good thing I got a 1080 at least but shocked it's not on 9 series.

The wording is ambiguous:

G-SYNC Compatible tests will identify monitors that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce RTX 20-series and GeForce GTX 10-series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically.

This seems like it could mean their compatibility tests are only being done on 10 and 20 series cards and will turn the feature on automatically on those cards. But it doesn't necessarily preclude other cards from working.

Nov 8, 2017
I recall suggesting a year or two ago that if they wanted to, they could simply use the same VRR Standards that freesync did and call it G-sync - after all that's what they were already doing with laptops. The modules themselves weren't necessary with respect to the brand. Freesync is just a brand name for AMD's software that supports a certain hardware standard, and G-sync can also just be the software that supports a certain hardware standard too.

I didn't think it would happen so soon though! I thought I'd be waiting until 2020 when all the HDMI 2.1 TVs started shipping. I definitely didn't think it would hit prior to the BFGD panels launching!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Now that VRR is part of the HDMI spec they're gonna have to give in. It was only a matter of time.
Yep, inevitable! I am happy to see this and I hope they have some nice indexing of Monitor Ranges on their Website and support as the driver grows.
My Samsung NU8000 55 ich from 2018 would really benefit from this for example.

I am also curious to see how effective that toggle Option is!

Admitting defeat is a silly OP title btw - Come ON ResetERA!

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally...

I did finally get a G-sync monitor after complaining for years and years. But, this makes me really happy. As the next OLED I get will be usable properly with my PC.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1080ti right now. That'd be great if it's happening indeed.
I can see both freesync and gsync existing altogether considering they dont cover the same range of frequencies.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly this means Nvidia are putting Gsync in Switch 2 and so need it to be compatible with normal VRR enabled TVs. /s

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
That's great news. I use a TV as a monitor, and was considering going from my 970 to an AMD card instead of a 2070 because of freesync/VRR in the newest Samsung models.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now hopefully they release an NVidia Shield that supports VRR for Gamestream

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever done testing on what the difference is between a similar Gsync and Freesync monitor?

People joke about the gsync tax but I never did know if they did offer anything to justify the massive price jump for gsync.

Also what if the new Switch has a VRR screen? That would be cool

Nov 8, 2017
Clearly this means Nvidia are putting Gsync in Switch 2 and so need it to be compatible with normal VRR enabled TVs. /s

I know you were just joking but they already do this in laptops.There's no g-sync module, so "laptop G-sync" is the same as Free-sync from a hardware perspective, just that it's limited to the internal display only, not additional displays that you connect the laptop to.

Also, it would be fully awesome to have a Switch revision be compatible with VRR, both for it's internal display and for external displays.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news! Now if only they would fix windowed-mode G-Sync. It has been broken since April 2018.

Hopefully a GPU refresh with HDMI 2.1 support is not too far away.
I'll probably be selling my G-Sync monitor and replacing it with a 4K TV as soon as possible.

HDR 1000 displays with ULMB support is very exciting news, if it has the option to use the full HDR brightness in ULMB mode. Those might be the first things close to being a true CRT replacement, as they will still be able to hit 100 nits at only 10% image persistence.
Unfortunately, being ULMB, they are probably still limited to a minimum refresh rate of 85Hz, and they likely still don't have the option to combine ULMB with G-Sync.

I know that you are being sarcastic, but I've been saying that since it was known to be using NVIDIA hardware: the original Switch should have had a G-Sync display, and supported a G-Sync output.
It would make its performance in games a lot more tolerable.

Cute how Nvidia avoid the wording "Freesync" and emphasizes that only 12 of the tested monitors reached "Nvidia standards".
FreeSync is an AMD brand, and associated suite of technologies.
They don't support FreeSync; they support VESA Adaptive-Sync, which FreeSync runs on top of.
AMD largely developed the VESA Adaptive-Sync standard, but FreeSync ≠ Adaptive-Sync.

Now hopefully they release an NVidia Shield that supports VRR for Gamestream
I thought it already did. Or were they only talking about the Shield integrated in the BFG Display? (I don't have a Shield)

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Hell yea. Now I won't have to optimize settings to get a locked 60 on both my monitor and my (future) TV.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Upgraded to a PG279Q a few months ago, so I won't be in the market for a monitor any time soon, but this definitely simplifies things for most. I swear by G-Sync, though.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever done testing on what the difference is between a similar Gsync and Freesync monitor?

People joke about the gsync tax but I never did know if they did offer anything to justify the massive price jump for gsync.

This article is a few months old now but it's a decent primer. There are more detailed articles on blurbusters and the like.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/297...rate-displays-make-pc-games-super-smooth.html

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I mean Freesync is a trademark of AMD so it wouldn't be a good look lol.
FreeSync is an AMD brand, and associated suite of technologies.
They don't support FreeSync; they support VESA Adaptive-Sync, which FreeSync runs on top of.
AMD largely developed the VESA Adaptive-Sync standard, but FreeSync ≠ Adaptive-Sync.
I just wanted to joke a little bit around and give Nvidia a little jab. ;)

Nov 8, 2017

Now that the technologies have matured and settled, a few early issues were ironed out and Freesync can be as good as G-sync (or at least have such small differences that you wouldn't ever notice the difference). With that said, the G-sync modules are uniformly excellent at what they do, while Freesync implementations can vary in how good they are since Free-sync Range, Input Lag etc are all at the discretion of the manufacturer. If you check reviews to make sure you're not getting a bad one, you'll be fine.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I honestly never figured Nvidia would shred even the smallest bit of their BS/stubbornness when it comes to Adaptive Sync. I mean, it's not super great yet but it's something... so... yay?

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Fantastic news. There are a lot of great VA panels that just don't support G-Sync and as someone who can't live with deep blacks this opens up so many options for gaming.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
That title is silly and unnecessarily editorialized. Regardless, it's great news that Nvidia is opening this up!

I do hope this means that VRR + HDR displays will be supported? The GeForce article says that's part of "GSync Ultimate", but hopefully that is not the case and I'm misreading it.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking finally and of course in true Nvidia fashion there is a million tiers... "G-SYNC Ultimate" lool
Actually I am being silly it's just that naming feels a bit too ambiguous.
No such luck, I'm afraid:
I think that is just for the certification purposes. This makes it seem pretty open:
Also there is Nvidia inspector that may be able to brute force the switch.

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

G-Sync has always been a bit better because it worked down to lower refresh rates. Freesync 2 fixed a lot of that so I think it will be worth testing if they work equally now.

This is the best news in a long time, I hope that I can pick up a 32" 4K high refresh rate Freesync display and a Nvidia GPU in the future.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Cute how Nvidia avoid the wording "Freesync" and emphasizes that only 12 of the tested monitors reached "Nvidia standards".
FreeSync is AMD's brand name for their support for the Display Port 1.2 VRR standard so Jensen would have never used it in the first place. Also the quality control testing Nvidia seems to be putting these monitors through is really good for the consumer. It's no secret that FreeSync supported monitors are a bit hit or miss because there isn't a set standard which the G-Sync module provides (albeit at an astronomically higher cost). Some FreeSync monitors, as Jensen explained (and my own monitor is included in that according to AMD owners who use it), can have flickering effects when the technology is activated and also rather poor 90-144hz ranges or worse. The new "Nvidia G-Sync Compatible" certification looks to test and measure up all these monitors so only ones guaranteed to not have these issues and which have wide VRR ranges (50-144hz for example) receive the certification. It would be a benefit to AMD users too.

This move by Nvidia in general would allow some smaller monitor brands such as the very well respected Pixio to potentially receive much more business from Nvidia consumers now. I'm just jealous we don't get Pixio in the UK. If anyone who works for Pixio ever reads this bring your amazing value products to the UK please :P

Descapp

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing news. I've been wanting to get a new monitor for a long time and this is going to make things much easier