• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the CES livestream, Jensen Huang just spent 10 minutes talking around the fact that they are going to start supporting freesync monitors in a limited capacity.

Any freesync monitors that pass their 'rigorous testing' will be enabled at the driver level as "gsync compatible". Sounds like only a dozen higher end ones at first, but this is going to be great for anyone who wants VRR without paying the nvidia tax.

Edit: I wasn't paying full attention but apparently it can be enabled for any freesync monitor, but only some are guaranteed to work well

Mod edit:
Screen%20Shot%202019-01-07%20at%2012.17.38%20AM.png

from https://www.anandtech.com/show/13791/nvidia-ces-2019-keynote-live-blog-starts-at-8pm-pt0400-utc
"
12:20AM EST - There's going to be a big difference in outcomes if manufacturers have to pay to get their adaptive sync/freesync monitors approved for NV's ecosystem
12:20AM EST - I'm very curious if NVIDIA is charging manufacturers for this. NVIDIA has traditionally (and quietly) charged for value added features
12:19AM EST - They're being classified as "G-Sync Compatible"
12:19AM EST - Driver coming January 15th
12:19AM EST - Though it looks like they'll only support the monitors that pass their tests? This point is not clear
12:18AM EST - So NVIDIA is finally delivering VESA adaptive sync support
12:18AM EST - NVIDIA is going to test all adaptive sync monitors, and will support them!
12:18AM EST - NVIDIA tested 400 monitors. 12 of them "passed" NVIDIA's standards
"
Here is Nvidia's blog on the new announcement:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/01/06/g-sync-displays-ces/

There are hundreds of monitor models available capable of variable refresh rates (VRR) using the VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. However, the VRR gaming experience can vary widely.

To improve the experience for gamers, NVIDIA will test monitors. Those that pass our validation tests will be G-SYNC Compatible and enabled by default in the GeForce driver.

G-SYNC Compatible tests will identify monitors that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce RTX 20-series and GeForce GTX 10-series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically.

Support for G-SYNC Compatible monitors will begin Jan. 15 with the launch of our first 2019 Game Ready driver. Already, 12 monitors have been validated as G-SYNC Compatible (from the 400 we have tested so far). We'll continue to test monitors and update our support list. For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we'll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
just saw it. shocked, and great move by then. at one point or another, they needed to do this.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Been looking for a g-sync monitor lately and the price difference exceeds $100. It's BS!

Oct 27, 2017
Edit : picture source needed to change
6-g-sync-compatible-monitors.jpg

from https://www.anandtech.com/show/13791/nvidia-ces-2019-keynote-live-blog-starts-at-8pm-pt0400-utc
"
12:20AM EST - There's going to be a big difference in outcomes if manufacturers have to pay to get their adaptive sync/freesync monitors approved for NV's ecosystem
12:20AM EST - I'm very curious if NVIDIA is charging manufacturers for this. NVIDIA has traditionally (and quietly) charged for value added features
12:19AM EST - Though it looks like they'll only support the monitors that pass their tests? This point is not clear
12:18AM EST - NVIDIA is going to test all adaptive sync monitors, and will support them!
12:18AM EST - NVIDIA tested 400 monitors. 12 of them "passed" NVIDIA's standards
"

Last edited:

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if I heard it right, they'll be enabling an option in the drivers due Jan 15th for anyone to toggle on. Obviously those that are on that list are 'certified' and will work as advertised. Otherwise it's down to your own luck?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that VRR is part of the HDMI spec they're gonna have to give in. It was only a matter of time.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has had a gsync monitor for a few years and thinks it is the single greatest upgrade I've ever made, this is great news. The closer this sort of tech can come to being used everywhere on everything the better!

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
As a G sync monitor owner who held out for quite a while due to the prohibitive pricing, this is awesome to see. VRR gaming is just hard to leave when you get used to it, and I'm happy to see that more people will be able to adopt the standard. Can't wait to see how LG's upcoming HDMI 2.1 sets handle VRR, and depending on the results, I may end up buying a new TV this year.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if I heard it right, they'll be enabling an option in the drivers due Jan 15th for anyone to toggle on. Obviously those that are on that list are 'certified' and will work as advertised. Otherwise it's down to your own luck?
That's fine with me, time to get some cheap 144hz 1080p freesync monitors from microcenter

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
That's great, will the driver only work with the Nvidia verified ones or any freesync device?

Troublematic

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think Jensen mentioned that they're going to have an option to turn on Adaptive sync for any of the monitors that have it, but only those 12 are officially certified. I guess those are the best that's available currently, though it might also be the ones that have bothered paying for certification...err *RIGOROUS TESTING*. In any case, it's great to see Nvidia finally support Adaptive sync, but it does put a question mark to whether there's a place for traditional G-Sync monitos in the future.

OP
OP
pj-

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Jensen mentioned that they're going to have an option to turn on Adaptive sync for any of the monitors that have it, but only those 12 are officially certified. I guess those are the best that's available currently, though it might also be the ones that have bothered paying for certification...err *RIGOROUS TESTING*. In any case, it's great to see Nvidia finally support Adaptive sync, but it does put a question mark to whether there's a place for traditional G-Sync monitos in the future.

I was half paying attention but that's even more awesome if true

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I just bought a Gsync monitor a couple months ago. Had I waited, I could have saved a lot of money on a new monitor (I love this monitor anyway, so it's not that much of a loss).

Good for everybody else looking for a new monitor tho.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Going to wait till people test it out, but yeah if it works then I'm buying 2 new monitors on the 16th

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
This was inevitable. Intel will start supporting FreeSync through their iGPUs soon, and eventually their dGPU when they happen. Glad to see it happen regardless, though!

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will wait to see if they won't gimp them, but if they are fine then I guess I'm getting a new monitor.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic news, I can finally get a ultrawide monitor with VRR for a reasonable price.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who knows me, you know how long I've been waiting for this. But I did finally actually get a Gsync monitor.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad I held out. No way I was going to support their scummy practices. Guess I can finally start shopping for a new monitor.

OP
OP
pj-

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are they giving up on those TV-sized displays as well?

The impression I got is that gsync is going to remain the "premium" variable refresh rate technology for now. In a few years it will quietly go away when everything just supports VRR in hdmi 2.1 and dp 1.4

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this rises the quality of Freesync monitors...
There are still no FS2HDR monitors on the market.
Except those Samsung ones

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
Screen%20Shot%202019-01-07%20at%2012.17.38%20AM.png

"
"

Oh man, I have an Asus MG279Q. Fingers crossed!

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see that coming.
This means affordable 4k/VRR/HDR Monitores for everyone soon...

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to wait and see what the limitations are before assuming Nvidua did a good thing.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, so with Gsync on I could now potentially mix gsync and freesync screens on a triple screen rig?

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice. Hoping that this will work with all GSync-capable GPUs, including laptop GPUs.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
Here is Nvidia's blog on the new announcement:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/01/06/g-sync-displays-ces/

There are hundreds of monitor models available capable of variable refresh rates (VRR) using the VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocol. However, the VRR gaming experience can vary widely.

To improve the experience for gamers, NVIDIA will test monitors. Those that pass our validation tests will be G-SYNC Compatible and enabled by default in the GeForce driver.

G-SYNC Compatible tests will identify monitors that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce RTX 20-series and GeForce GTX 10-series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically.

Support for G-SYNC Compatible monitors will begin Jan. 15 with the launch of our first 2019 Game Ready driver. Already, 12 monitors have been validated as G-SYNC Compatible (from the 400 we have tested so far). We'll continue to test monitors and update our support list. For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we'll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too.