• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I see we've reached this point with the anticipated next generation wherein absurd numbers start getting thrown around. Count me among the doubters.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm planning on getting a new PC towards the end of the year. I'll probably go pre-built because that seems like the best way to get the new cards at a reasonable price (and because I'm lazy).

Something like a 4060 would be nice, but if that's not on the cards (hehe) a price reduction for the 30 series would work.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
MLID is a hardware fan fiction writer who deletes videos with anything proven wrong, but the Nvidia hack contents have shown the next gen will have some huge chips in them. How fast they run or power they take in though, is still a mystery. Lots of slower compute units would handle modern effect heavy games great while suffering at more raster heavy titles (look at mobile 3080 vs 3080 Ti reviews)

Oct 25, 2017
That TDP is absolutely insane if accurate. I can't imagine myself ever being able to rationalize using a card that power hungry.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
Kinda crazy how much power these cards use and have, here is me with my 1080ti. How much better would a 4080ti be over my 1080ti?

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Any word on when Nvidia might announce these? I'm hoping it's while I can still use EVGA step-up, but seems unlikely these will release within three months.

Kinda crazy how much power these cards use and have, here is me with my 1080ti. How much better would a 4080ti be over my 1080ti?

Massively better, but mainly due to the addition of RT/DLSS.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I'm planning on getting a new PC towards the end of the year. I'll probably go pre-built because that seems like the best way to get the new cards at a reasonable price (and because I'm lazy).

Something like a 4060 would be nice, but if that's not on the cards (hehe) a price reduction for the 30 series would work.
exactly my plan as well, happy to wait for these and the new amd processors to be out and try to get on the prebuilt train. my 1st gen ryzen and 1070 is fine i guess but would love an update.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
How are they gonna cool these things without a ton of noise? Current air cooled cards that let you push to 450 are loud as hell. Even with hybrid cooling you need to run the radiator fans at a high speed for that wattage, plus need to up your case air flow. So 600 watts seems ridiculous to me. The heatsinks for air cooled cards will need so much mass that they'll have to come with support brackets or something.

Maybe some people have different noise tolerances but I hate loud fans in my case.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
Saving up for a Samsung G9 and a 4080 - even the 3080 struggles at that kind of resolution.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Sources close to Moore's Law Is Dead (MLID) are highly confident that RTX 4090 cards built with the full AD102 GPU die will boost fps in videogames using standard rasterization by 80-110%, compared to the RTX 3090. We can also expect ray tracing performance to "at least double", but MLID is unable to provide any exact metrics at this point in time.

So then basically we know absolutely nothing? MLID just throws shit at a dart board that anyone could guess and sometimes out of the dozens of misses, they make a hit.

MLID is a hardware fan fiction writer who deletes videos with anything proven wrong

Yep.

Massively better, but mainly due to the addition of RT/DLSS.

And frame rate if playing above 1080p with modern titles.

Last edited:

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020

Not sure about the AIBs but if you want a quiet card, undervolting is the way to go

I know, I undervolt my 3090. But even an undervolted 600 watt card is gonna be absurd in terms of cooling requirements. quad slot air coolers, or 2-3 fan radiator if you want anything remotely tolerable in terms of noise I would think.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I'm not a huge pc gamer but I typically like getting the mid tier card from the generation that comes out after the gen that was around when consoles launch so I'm in for a 4060 in a year or two. It'll probably do like 22-24 tflops and be about twice as powerful as Series X/PS5 and will likely be able to play everything for many years as most games will have to be designed around the constraints of the console hardware.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This MLID dude is the misterxmedia of PC gaming

Also, my once-completely overkill Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 1200W PSU would just barely make the cut with this new rumored 4090... i mean what the fuck Nvidia

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Fart noises.

They should split these things in two and produce twice the amount of 3-series instead.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't MLID a not very good source generally though?

He seems to get info from some pretty reliable sources, but he gets really heavy into hardware conjecture based on those fragmented details.
I think that's what nets him some dubious accuracy at the end of the day; long-format extrapolation. He'll take a handful of sound leaks/rumors and turn it into a 45-minute video of maybes.

The circle of twitter hardware leakers, like kopite7kimi, have been pretty on the ball this hardware generation, despite the chip makers being flaky with actual deliverables. kimi in particular had the inside scoop on what would become the 3060 refresh, the 3080 12gb, and (the still tentative) 3090 TI like last fall.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Did you check how much watts your 3080Ti is consuming?
My 3080 is 370W with 450W maximum.
"400-600W" is basically much the same power.
350W to 400W from what I have seen. 400W to 600W is increasing upper range by 50%. Right now my 850W PSU is fine, but I can't see that working with something significantly more power hungry.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
I doubt ''normal' cards will go much higher than 400-450W.
Those 600W numbers are for exclusive watercooled/kingpin cards with a special OC bios.

Also, MLID literally is the best source we have. OK, the dude is not 100% correct all the time, but he clearly knows what he is talking about and has many contacts in the industry. Just look at the wide spectrum of guests on his Broken Silicon podcast. There is clearly some value there

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This MLID dude is the misterxmedia of PC gaming

Also, my once-completely overkill Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 1200W PSU would just barely make the cut with this new rumored 4090... i mean what the fuck Nvidia
But with 1200 watt power supply minimum recommended, aren't you going to want a 1500 watt power supply for good overclocking overhead and probably needed for high end cards.... So ridiculous, reminds me of the time that GeForce card required 500 watts while ATI was like half the power requirements.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He seems to get info from some pretty reliable sources, but he gets really heavy into hardware conjecture based on those fragmented details.
I think that's what nets him some dubious accuracy at the end of the day; long-format extrapolation. He'll take a handful of sound leaks/rumors and turn it into a 45-minute video of maybes.
MLIS is someone who I would say bullshitted his way to having actual sources, unfortunately

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
If the power consumption is that high... It's a bit useless for me. I want a more modern, efficient card. A thermally, power-efficient card not only saves on the electricity bill, but is also more sensible with the current state of our planet. If AMD or Intel give a similar performance for better power consumption on the mid-range, that's where I'll go (if I'm able to find one, of course).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the power consumption is that high... It's a bit useless for me. I want a more modern, efficient card. A thermally, power-efficient card not only saves on the electricity bill, but is also more sensible with the current state of our planet. If AMD or Intel give a similar performance for better power consumption on the mid-range, that's where I'll go (if I'm able to find one, of course).
you shouldn't be buying top end if you want an efficient card. it's always been this way. AMD and Intel's top end are similarly high consuming

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
you shouldn't be buying top end if you want an efficient card. it's always been this way. AMD and Intel's top end are similarly high consuming
Yeah that's true, it's just that I currently own a 2080 and love it, but I'd like to move to the future "XX80" models without getting a huge jump in PSU requirement, but at least on Nvidia side, it seems it's going to be much, much power hungry than what I currently own.

May have to settle for something lower-tiered in the future.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I could sleep at nite with a 600w card lol. Hopefully those rumors are exaggerated, too. Truth be told, I never buy that high end anyhow.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Nvidia is pushing the 3000 cards. By undervolting you can substract around 40W with basically no performance loss
This is super easy to do, no one should be running a 3080 (TI)/3090 at stock settings.

I'm just going to assume that undervolting will be beneficial for RTX4000 as well

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
They don't give a fuck anymore, our cards are the most powerful GPUs on the market, we achieved this by saying ignoring power consumption levels, in 5 years i am going to have to change the wiring in my house, my 6090 might burn the house down..

Status
Not open for further replies.