• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Edit: Here's a human translation of another article on the matter and parts of the one I originally linked.

www.dulcamarra.net

Dulcamarra's lair

Dulcamarra, artist, web developpement, gaming
Another woman, Louise, brings an even more compelling testimony. In December 2015, the theme of the party was Back to the Future. For once, she was wearing a dress. Tommy François – her superior at the time – apparently tried to force her to kiss him, while other members of his team held her down, restraining her movement. She fought, yelled and managed to get out. Traumatized by the experience, she told her story to another manager of the company the next day and she was told that she misinterpreted the his acts, that it's just another joke, something he does often.

One night, she says, he just grabbed the face of a female coworker who stayed in office late, and forced her to kiss him, without her consent. There was an awkward moment when he realized another man also stayed late and saw them. M.B. went kissing the man as well, in an attempt to de-escalate the situation with humor. "Tommy and M.B. were very close, like accomplices. They would go to lunch together with female trainees, you could always find them downstairs, chatting with girls."

M.B.'s made a living hell of his own trainee's experience, as she tells us. He explains his sexual intercourses in detail, offers her a "more feminine" relooking, prevents her from using the elevator because "she could use a bit of exercise" and pretends he can introduce her to Hascoët in exchange for sexual favors. One day, in spring 2015, she tells him she's done with his behavior in a heated conversation. He threatens her with a little knife and she runs in the restrooms. In the meantime, male colleagues message her to tell her to keep it quiet. Later, a senior officer told her she should have understood by herself that M.B.'s behavior was "toxic". A nth incident with no repercussions. Despite his reputation, M.B. is later sent to the Production team, a few streets away. He then leaves the company in 2018.

www.dulcamarra.net

Dulcamarra's lair

Original post:

I'm relying on Google Translate, so it's not perfect, but this article is pretty damning.

www.numerama.com

« Toi, je sais que tu veux ma bite » : à Ubisoft Monde, qui protège les femmes ?

Les problèmes de sexisme et de harcèlement ne se retrouvent pas seulement au département éditorial, « fierté d’Ubisoft » et porte étendard de la firme.

The problems of sexism and harassment are not found only in the editorial department, "Ubisoft pride" and standard bearer of the firm. For several weeks, Numerama spoke to dozens of witnesses, employees or alumni of the company, who all report the same speech: on all floors, from Paris to the United States, regardless of qualification, harassment and assaults are not taken seriously enough, even when witnesses dare to speak to HR.

"You can see you are frustrated, you are fucked badly, I have a big cock, with me it will change. "We are in 2014, and Bénédicte * is in" Ubisoft afterwork ". She is an intern at Ubisoft Paris and sometimes goes out with colleagues to have a few drinks after a day's work. While they had so far had "cordial relations", that evening, another intern, Eugène *, offered to have sex in this raw tone, with " a very serious look ". In a precarious situation, she prefers to say nothing and flee from her contact: " I had no interest in being noticed, " she sighs.

However, the two employees go to CDD, and comes the question, at the end of 18 months - at Ubisoft, one makes drag the renewals until the maximum of the legal duration - of their passage in CDI. Bénédicte keeps on rehashing what happened, and, with the support of her superior, decides to mention it to HR in July 2016. " She was in the mood for emotion ", explains the young woman, " She said to me : 'it's horrible, he's a psychopath, don't worry, it's settled, it's easy anyway, since he's on a fixed-term contract'. And then, nothing.

A few weeks pass, then she finds herself summoned again by HR. The tone has completely changed. " I was told : 'someone complained about you, it seems that you boast of having Eugène fired, you must stop'". She then discovers that Eugène never disappeared from the company, but was simply hired in another division of Ubisoft, a few buildings away. "

There is nothing unique about this story. Strangely similar situation, different protagonists. In 2017, Romane, already an employee, is also in "afterwork" with colleagues from Ubisoft. While she is " stuck on the bench " of a bar, an employee of another division of the company, passing through Paris, traps her and spoils her the same horrors: " You, I know you want my dick, "says the man, who at the same time boasts of being married and a father. At the end of the evening, he offered to take her " a double bed " at the hotel. The young woman returns in tears. After two months, she decides to confide in an HR representative. " She didn't seem surprised, it was not the first time[that it was aimed, note] ». The man in question, who left within his pole in another French city, receives a " formal warning ", a suitcase expression which has no effect on his contract. He is still in office today.

This is what Patricia *, an employee of Ubisoft in North Carolina, did when she was offered a " gift card " of $ 200 in 2019 for " the pain she endured" , after having to endure eight months of sexist, sexual and grossophobic harassment from his new superior. In addition to having fun " provoking " her every day, the man had thrown her, in a work meeting with another colleague, that he " thought that rape was okay, and that it 'was even funny'. It took months for him to be fired, despite numerous alerts. The gift card had been offered by a new person replacing the old HR: she then admitted an " error " from her predecessors, and did everything to prevent Patricia from talking about it.

In Montreal and then in Paris, Inès * successively lived what she calls, not without understatement, " difficult " years . The young trans woman, who started her first job in Canada before her transition, saw firsthand transphobia, and the difference in treatment between men and women. "

Lots more at the article. I would appreciate it if a French speaker could translate or summarize parts of he article.

Last edited:

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Man the HR director being the wife of the guy who harassed women, one of the founders of Ubi Toronto, is horrifying.

They created a bubble so strong that there was no chance for the women there. They should be ashamed it went on this long.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Still reading (the French version) but a better translation of that super-gross quote, just so people really understand what these women are going through:

"We can see you, how [sexually] frustrated you are, you need a good fuck, I can fix that with my big dick"

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Man the HR director being the wife of the guy who harassed women, one of the founders of Ubi Toronto, is horrifying.

They created a bubble so strong that there was no chance for the women there. They should be ashamed it went on this long.

If I've learnt anything in my life, it's that a place where the HR has any sort of relation or relationship with management is gonna be a fucking nightmare of a working environment.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Still reading (the French version) but a better translation of that super-gross quote, just so people really understand what these women are going through:

"We can see you, how [sexually] frustrated you are, you need a good fuck, I can fix that with my big dick"

Jesus H Christ...

Thanks for the translation. Feels like some of the horrors are getting lost in the google translation.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Still reading, this one is especially galling:

The article speaks of a transgender woman who, prior to her transition, was treated well, and after her transition, progressively, she started experiencing sexist micro-aggressions, such as being interrupted more often, making more effort to even be listened to, work twice as hard for her opinions to matter, people would sigh whenever she'd speak. This happened daily, and she says she also, on occasion, had some coworkers trying to touch her breasts (?!!! fucking hell).

It gets worse. [cw transphobia] She left the Montreal office, and joined the Paris office. Over there, her superior wasn't much better in terms of micro-aggressions, and at some point he went full mask off: he locked her up in his office for 2h in order to make her "confess that she's not a real woman".

She also spoke up against some coworkers who would openly say things about the fuckability of interns, and got punished for it by earning a reputation for being "oversensitive", "lacking in testosterone" and being "too haughty". On her final evaluation before leaving Ubisoft she was noted as being "too aggressive".

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
That's terrible.
But people will still buy their games
Yup.

I'm done with them though.

I'm frustrated with the lack of coverage with this in "gaming media" though. You would think after the Riot thing (bad journalist aside) something like this would be something to at least report on.

Edit: Looks like Kotaku at least is reporting on this stuff. Perhaps I was too early in my frustration.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

The article speaks of a transgender woman who, prior to her transition, was treated well, and after her transition, progressively, she started experiencing sexist micro-aggressions, such as being interrupted more often, making more effort to even be listened to, work twice as hard for her opinions to matter, people would sigh whenever she'd speak. This happened daily, and she says she also, on occasion, had some coworkers trying to touch her breasts (?!!! fucking hell).

It gets worse. [cw transphobia] She left the Montreal office, and joined the Paris office. Over there, her superior wasn't much better in terms of micro-aggressions, and at some point he went full mask off: he locked her up in his office for 2h in order to make her "confess that she's not a real woman".

She also spoke up against some coworkers who would openly say things about the fuckability of interns, and got punished for it by earning a reputation for being "oversensitive", "lacking in testosterone" and being "too haughty". On her final evaluation before leaving Ubisoft she was noted as being "too aggressive".
What the actual fuck.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
i personally know a few of these stories.

Yeah, the Paris studio is RIFE with this stuff. Before HR didnt take it seriously at all, but now supposedly they are. We'll see. I've normalized a lot of creepy/inappropriate shit since everyone here minimizes the crap out of it, but trying not to anymore.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

The spoilered text in this post is so harrowing it made me nauseous.

OP
OP
Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Jesus Christ.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering if things will ever change at Ubisoft, Numerama has released another article earlier today: https://www.numerama.com/politique/...nte-de-membrasser-tout-le-monde-rigolait.html

It's really long so I won't translate everything but it speaks about Serge Hascoët, Yves Guillemot's right-hand man and the head of Ubisoft's creative division.

Serge Hascoët is no stranger to the sexist atmosphere that has been plaguing the editorial division for years, where comments about female employee's sex life are frequent. " He asked me if I knew what oxytocin was (which is an hormone linked to orgasm)". He made fun of her discomfort by stating that she "certainly doesn't". During a "team building" seminar, he proclaimed in front of everyone that a female employee "needed a good fuck" and volunteered himself to teach her how to do so, recalls Mélanie, a former employee who was there that day and who worked with Serge for a long time.

Some of his requests seem so surreal they would come straight out of The Devil Wears Prada, a movie where a female assistant has to do everything she has to in order to satisfy her boss.

He asked one of his female assistants to book a hotel that was already fully booked for his seaside holiday with his companion. He used to send another female employee all over Paris to buy food and alcool for parties he would host in his appartment in Neuilly. Other employees recall that one of his female assistants had to regulary take car of his Porsche, parked in Ubisoft's parking lot, because it might not start again if nodoby would drive in it for a few hours. It wasn't until 2018 that a "caretaker" would be hired to fulfill his personal need and weird requests which allowed his assistants to focus on their administrative tasks.

Many employees expect Ubisoft to be unable to change radically how it works because it puts some "talents" on a pedestal, and wouldn't dare to get rid of them. "Yves Guillemot buries his head under the sand on these subjects" says Marjorie. "He would rather cut his own arm than getting rid of Serge".

There are a lot of other stories of abuse in this article but Yves doesn't want to adress how the top brass acts so things probably will never change.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018

You can't make this shit up.
What's wrong with people?!

noatak

Oct 27, 2017
I often read in this context that it is HR's responsibility to protect the company, so their steps are essentially to ensure that everything is being swept under the rug, but I have to wonder, how exactly is HR protecting the company by a) hiring harassers and b) when it turns out that certain employees are in fact scum, not to terminate their contracts immediately. I mean, by keeping them around you are essentially creating an environment where such behavior is normalized and no one can tell me that it is in a company's best interest to do so... I don't understand how Ubisoft for example can continue for years and years like that and expect it to not go public at some point.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fuck. Why can't fucking people be fucking normal.
That's kind of the problem though. This kind of behavior has been normalized for years and just handwaved as locker room talk or "boys will be boys" or dozens of other excuses.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
The more I read these articles and the angrier I become. This company is rotten to the core.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

In high school, this shit would earn you a suspension if not expulsion. In workplace, this should result in immediate firing and subsequent blacklisting and proper counselling for the victim.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This is horrific and so upsetting.

Fuck. These people.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lots more at the article. I would appreciate it if a French speaker could translate or summarize parts of he article.

Google translate is someway reliable between german <> roman language,

But here is a human translation of the (first) article of the french newspaper "Libération".

www.dulcamarra.net

Dulcamarra's lair

And parts of the Numérama paper, pointing one of the Ubi boss as a pillar of that system.

www.dulcamarra.net

Dulcamarra's lair

Artifice

Oct 30, 2017
This is horrible. I honestly cannot bring myself to buy their games anymore till I hear that they have changed their culture for the better, but I am not holding my breath.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In high school, this shit would earn you a suspension if not expulsion. In workplace, this should result in immediate firing and subsequent blacklisting and proper counselling for the victim.

Sadly, in my experience in school, they would rather protect the staff and come up with some excuse to cover their own asses and not take care of the issue.

Source: Happened to me. Suddenly they decided I was the issue and it was easier to kick me out of school, citing I had "behavioral issues" and they "couldn't protect me", and I "purposely instigated the issues". Said if I went to a school that deals with behavioral issues for a year, they "might" consider having me back.

Majority of the students who caused the issues got off scot free and faced no punishment.

So honestly, this sounds about right.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Sadly, in my experience in school, they would rather protect the staff and come up with some excuse to cover their own asses and not take care of the issue.

Source: Happened to me. Suddenly they decided I was the issue and it was easier to kick me out of school, citing I had "behavioral issues" and they "couldn't protect me", and I "purposely instigated the issues". Said if I went to a school that deals with behavioral issues for a year, they "might" consider having me back.

So honestly, this sounds about right.

Sorry to hear that. I believe above everything, this is about protecting a consolidated state of power that comes from status quo of culture within any organization and rot therein. It is therefore critical that perpetrators be named and shamed and the institutions that enable and perpetuate these behaviours should have their name dragged through mud and then some by all non-bigots en masse esp. those with large social platforms so that we can force their hands to change.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
God, this is horrifying.

I can't believe there's so little posts either. Why are people not paying attention to all of this crap happening at Ubisoft?

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a living nightmare to be a woman every day isn't it?
I went on Reddit today and saw a thread by a guy living in Egypt. What he described was literal genuine horror on a scale we couldn't imagine. Rape culture not only being the norm but pretty much encouraged, mass gang rapes handwaved by sheiks, media outrage against victims on national TV when such a thing occurs, total ostracisation for women from their entire communities should they deign to speak up or challenge the status quo even a smidgen. This myriad of horrors the domestic norm experienced by every single woman living in the country today - except the rich ones whose families can afford very good education and to wall themselves off.

I reckon most countries in the world are probably still like that, and as much as we in the developed world is far further ahead, you can still see the vestiges of that shit everywhere in stories like the one in the OP.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ngl, I like Ubisoft's game output. They're probably one of my most favourite publishers (and I worked on a couple of their games). But reading this... If they don't make sweeping, deep and lasting changes, they deserve to burn to the fucking ground. No amount of good videogames is worth this shit.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I often read in this context that it is HR's responsibility to protect the company, so their steps are essentially to ensure that everything is being swept under the rug, but I have to wonder, how exactly is HR protecting the company by a) hiring harassers and b) when it turns out that certain employees are in fact scum, not to terminate their contracts immediately. I mean, by keeping them around you are essentially creating an environment where such behavior is normalized and no one can tell me that it is in a company's best interest to do so... I don't understand how Ubisoft for example can continue for years and years like that and expect it to not go public at some point.

As you say, HR is there to protect the company from all employee wrongdoing/conduct. The issue arises when folks in HR decide they want to play favorites and protect certain employees for their conduct towards other employees because they are rainmakers/valuable to the company. This is not supposed to happen but it is common in every industry. Stars are always given a longer leash but eventually they do manage to hang themselves with it.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
The fact that Guillemot's right-hand man, Serge Hascoët, is among those who are directly guilty of committing sexual harassment and sexual assault attempts makes me worry that nothing will change. Yves Guillemot's promises are worthless if he doesn't at least fire that guy.

Honestly, this guy should even be arrested. He pulled a knife on a woman, FFS [Edit: that's Serge's assistant, apparently, I may have misread. Still, fuck all this. This guy apparently did drugs constantly during work hours and tried to sell drugs to co-workers too...]

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft better make some massive changes or they ain't seeing another cent from me.

And this is coming from a normally super hard Ubisoft Stan. My collection of Ubisoft titles is like 100 deep and I've easily spent $300 on R6 Siege. All of that changes if they don't fire that piece of shit.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The fact that Guillemot's right-hand man, Serge Hascoët, is among those who are directly guilty of committing sexual harassment and sexual assault attempts makes me worry that nothing will change. Yves Guillemot's promises are worthless if he doesn't at least fire that guy.

Honestly, this guy should even be arrested. He pulled a knife on a woman, FFS
It's that guy that makes me very much doubt that Yves didn't know what was going on, and if he knew what was going on and did nothing, he is not able to lead the change that is required and therefore should not be in charge anymore. I doubt that will happen though, I have that uneasy feeling that a few may be got rid of for PR purposes but that the workplace culture that facilitated it will remain unchanged and it will happen again. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic and I hope I am wrong

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
...but yeah, Yves just found out about it. Fuck all of these people, holy shit.
I don't believe it either. Both Tommy François and Serge Hascoët are described as Guillemot's "right hand man" and both have enormous power and both are among the worst examples, as both have made repeated sexual comments to female employees, with François also forcibly trying to kiss one during a party. It stretches credulity that Yves wouldn't have known.

Hell back in 2014 François was openly joking on video about harassing people at work and referred to game show hostesses as "easy to pick up" (in a bro-joke about how easy those women are to fondle, comparing that to accessible video games).

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
For those wondering if things will ever change at Ubisoft, Numerama has released another article earlier today: https://www.numerama.com/politique/...nte-de-membrasser-tout-le-monde-rigolait.html

It's really long so I won't translate everything but it speaks about Serge Hascoët, Yves Guillemot's right-hand man and the head of Ubisoft's creative division.

There are a lot of other stories of abuse in this article but Yves doesn't want to adress how the top brass acts so things probably will never change.
As long as Serge Hascoët stay it will not change and Yves Guillemot will enver fire him so...

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
As long as Serge Hascoët stay it will not change and Yves Guillemot will enver fire him so...
That's kind of my takeaway too.

So, for now, I continue to believe that Guillemot is full of shit. Tommy François isn't even fired either, right? Both need to be fired immediately, that's the bare minimum. If this doesn't happen, no woman can feel safe working at Ubisoft.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of my takeaway too.

So, for now, I continue to believe that Guillemot is full of shit. Tommy François isn't even fired either, right? Both need to be fired immediately, that's the bare minimum. If this doesn't happen, no woman can feel safe working at Ubisoft.
I mean, even Maxime Béland wasn't fired, he resigned after Kotaku asked him some questions about the accusations against. Guillemot is lying through his teeth.

Fun fact: one of the measures Guillemot announced to show how Ubisoft was taking this seriously was to nominate a "Head of Workplace Culture". Problem is, the person who was nominated has been working for Ubisoft for 15 YEARS. It's nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Serge has done way worse than what's listed in the article, and the people being mentioned and "outed" are just the tip of the iceberg.

I have had a creative director tell me how sexy I was at a Ubisoft party, touch my hair, and just be generally skeevy.

I also had a game director whisper in my ear suggestively about how a song was "about having an affair" at another party.

it goes deep, man.