• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Do people still care about this?

Drunkenly talking with a group of friends last night and this came up and a few had some negative opinions of having too many. I was surprised as we're all pretty progressive, the age range was mid 20s to early 30s, and no one was religious. I didn't think it was much of a concern for this demographic anymore, or I'm I just out of touch?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
For people it's bad if you have many and it's bad if you have just a few (or none).

Someone please make a guide about how many you should have at every age.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Lmfao I thought I clicked gaming forums and saw this at the top - so I was thinking why do people care about how many gaming co-op friends I have lol

Jul 18, 2020
Do people still care about this?

Drunkenly talking with a group of friends last night and this came up and a few had some negative opinions of having too many. I was surprised as we're all pretty progressive, the age range was mid 20s to early 30s, and no one was religious. I didn't think it was much of a concern for this demographic anymore, or I'm I just out of touch?

It's ingrained in western culture, it's harder to keep down while you're drunk. Rationally it's irrelevant, but when you're drunk it's a talking point when it's mentioned out of the blue. Don't worry too much about being out of touch, it's just one of those things.

OP
OP
mentok15

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
It's straight up not something I ever talk about lol

And no one ever asks personally as of late 20s
Everyone was very drunk lol, only reason it came up.

It's ingrained in western culture, it's harder to keep down while you're drunk. Rationally it's irrelevant, but when you're drunk it's a talking point when it's mentioned out of the blue. Don't worry too much about being out of touch, it's just one of those things.
When these discussions come up online in progress space no one cares, I was just under the assumption that carried over to real life.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's been discussed as a general topic but yeah, I haven't met anybody that really cared in a long, long time. There are some tinges of jealousy that creep up when there's a big disparity but it seems to dissipate pretty quickly once all parties realize that it doesn't really mean much.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
It's something I'm a bit insecure about as I'm on the lower end of the spectrum. Makes me feel guilty when I think about it too as I'm in a loving long term relationship with someone with even less experience

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
It's something I'm a bit insecure about as I'm on the lower end of the spectrum. Makes me feel guilty when I think about it too as I'm in a loving long term relationship with someone with even less experience
Again, this legitimately doesn't matter. It doesn't define who you are as a person, lover, or anything else. Give it zero attention.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
2528-jpg.jpg

Everyone is a virgin at one point. However many find people to do it with is their business. All this stuff is what it is and shouldn't matter really. 🤷‍♀️

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Aside from the fact that it ain't nobody's business and doesn't mean shit, as others have mentioned, it's also a metric that is used historically in very one-sided ways in-regards to gender dynamics.

Namely, some kind of point of pride for men, yet used to demean or slut-shame women.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yes

Well when it comes to friends or acquaintances - its whatever

But if you are looking towards a relationship like marriage, I believe its vital info especially in certain cultures.

As for me, I didnt have a single intimate relationship with anyone because my goal was focused on education and getting money/a job and then romance after that.

Mar 18, 2020
Everyone was very drunk lol, only reason it came up.

When these discussions come up online in progress space no one cares, I was just under the assumption that carried over to real life.

Of course people care, media burns it into you from a very young age. It's just a question of whether you snap out of it later.

And you should know better than to use online spaces as measures of reality. I've seen threads where people said 80 partners by college was nothing or not enough

OP
OP
mentok15

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
And you should know better than to use online spaces as measures of reality. I've seen threads where people said 80 partners by college was nothing or not enough
I generally know not too, it's just the group wasn't a random sample of the population.
And lol at 80 before collage, and I was embarrassed last night by my number.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Many definitely do for women. Don't know if it has ever been a bad thing to have too many partners for men. So the double standard still persists.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It matters to the extent that it matters to you, I guess. To me, it never mattered when I was single and meeting women. And now that I'm married and long since outta the game, even less so.

Oct 28, 2017
People really shouldn't care, but people will be people. Personally I do not give a shit.

And I will say the best sex usually doesn't come before you've been with someone bit and learned what makes each other tick.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
It's still very much a thing as women, for some, still need to be "virtuous" otherwise how can they expect someone to "wife" them. I've gotten into many discussion with my friends about it as I don't care if you've had 5 partners or 50 but others think even 5 is pushing it.

Have sex with who you want when you want as long as you both consent and it's legal.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care. And I've had enough. Not too many in 2020 and 2021 tho for obvious reasons.

I think people who care about "too many" typically are insecure. As long as you've been safe and tested why would I care if you want to hook up with me? I see that as a compliment.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I wouldn't be able to tell you and I haven't even slept with that many people. It shouldn't matter. Especially now that hookup apps are fairly standard lol.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
One of those things where what people claim to think and what they think in a void doesnt quite always match up with their actual emotions in their animal brain irl. (Talking about OP's friends here, not any particular poster).

Might be a tinge of jealously. Might be assumptions they won't say. Unfair but that is what peoples braisn often do in the moment.

Oct 28, 2017
This is going to sound like horseshit to a lot of people but a long time ago I was told that the energy you share from sex will last with a person for about 6 months after they're last encounter and if you mix too many energies of different people you can start to have conflicts in ones spirit.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Don't ask, don't tell. With the girl I'm currently dating she doesn't want to know and neither do I. Wouldn't be a big deal if I found out, but it's such a childish question. Changes literally nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.