• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.npr.org

More than 10,000 John Deere workers go on strike as labor actions heat up in the U.S.

The union UAW said it was unable to reach an agreement on a new contract with the company, known for its signature green and yellow farm equipment. It's the latest of several recent worker actions.
More than 10,000 workers at 14 different John Deere locations went on strike at the stroke of midnight after the United Auto Workers union said it was unable to reach a new contract with the tractor company.

"Our members at John Deere strike for the ability to earn a decent living, retire with dignity and establish fair work rules," Chuck Browning, vice president and director of the UAW's Agricultural Implement Department, said in a statement.

John Deere, known for its signature green and yellow farm equipment, said it was committed to a "favorable" outcome for everyone involved — including workers.

"We are determined to reach an agreement with the UAW that would put every employee in a better economic position and continue to make them the highest paid employees in the agriculture and construction industries," Brad Morris, vice president of labor relations for Deere & Company, said in a statement.

"We will keep working day and night to understand our employees' priorities and resolve this strike, while also keeping our operations running for the benefit of all those we serve," he added.

The company did not have an estimate for when workers would return to the job or say how the strike would affect its operations.
It's Striketober!

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
I'm all for the employees, but a little contradicting when they say they want fair wages and a bit down in the article say they are the highest paid people in that industry.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for the employees, but a little contradicting when they say they want fair wages and a bit down in the article say they are the highest paid people in that industry.

So?

When the company is making record profits and the CEO is getting massive pay raises, bit hard to justify cutting pay.

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
So?

When the company is making record profits and the CEO is getting massive pay raises, bit hard to justify cutting pay.
Didn't say otherwise and started the whole thing by saying I'm for the employees. Just pointing out the contradiction. Not that they need me or anyone else in the public to be on their side, but going to be hard to gain public interest in their cause when they openly state they already make more than anyone in the industry. Maybe should have just stated they want to continue offering their employees a competitive wage rather than say they are already the highest.

Doesn't really matter though. I'm just nitpicking the choice of words. Hope they get as much as they can.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
A big part of the strike is retirement benefits.

Laurson, the Iowa union official, said the strike is really about winning back benefits that workers lost long ago. The company currently operates under a two-tiered system with smaller pensions than workers enjoyed in the '90s, he said.

How do benefits get worse over 30 years when companies like John Deere enjoy record profits?

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good. People should be striking regularly until society learns and improves.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Strikeober started early with the Nabisco strike, soon we might have a Strikebember too.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should boycott JD simply for the fact you can't really repair your machinery without sending to a JD mechanic.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
John Deere's fall from grace in recent years has been interesting to watch, makes you wonder how much further they could fall and how they'll inevitably manage to continue posting record profits

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I like how all these executives are confused about this. Well, they aren't, but they'll sure act like they're giving the world while you're stuck in your monthly Papa John's pizza party.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Iowa where there some John Deere plants. I fully support the workers but striking to get more benefits isn't always as easy as it sounds.

I work with a friend who is married to a JD worker who just started. He is still on the probation phase for a new hire so he wasn't going to get health insurance until Dec.

My friend has Lupus and just switched jobs as well and if she got insurance she would have to pay to work there essentially. She has recently been having trouble with her medication and planned on switching to a new medication in Dec when they had insurance again. I know not exactly smart to not have insurance when you have a condition like Lupus.

Now that they are striking I am not sure what they will do. He could go back to his old job and I am guessing that is what will happen but idk.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very rare I read about strike action in the US. The ridiculous lack of labour rights and protections should see strikes all the time.

The system really done a job on creating a bad perception on unions and the right to withdraw one's labour.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
JDs opposition to right to repair means they're raking in money on anti consumer policies. Trash company. Fuck em.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
0p4MsaWUkl9azCRzUUTGdfp3_lQ=.gif

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this becomes more common. I am hopeful that people have woke up to the idea that the workers eat shit in the good times and the bad times while those at the top make out like bandits rain or shine.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Executives don't like it when anyone other than Executives ask for a bigger slice of the profit pie.

They only tolerate Shareholder's cause they're usually huge shareholders themselves.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
Completely agree, more workers especially in the service industry should be striking all the time.

We have to organize first. I've been working on that for a while at my job and almost all the coworkers are on board. Recently joined the DSA so I can get in touch with labor organizers and see what steps I can take.

I hope this becomes more common. I am hopeful that people have woke up to the idea that the workers eat shit in the good times and the bad times while those at the top make out like bandits rain or shine.

With the governments complete failure to regulate businesses and improve the life of workers, organizing and demonstrating our collective power is the only way we can actually improve our lives.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yeah. Ya love to see it. The same company that has shitty subscription stuff on their machines so farmers have to hack their own equipment to use them. Go get em!

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Both of my uncles worked at the Des Moines IA plant their entire lives and retired with fat pension and incredible health insurance in their early 50s. My younger uncle was telling me that the new hires are getting jack shit compared to what they got and they were actively trying to push out the older workers because they wanted to hire new for much worse compensation. Essentially, they are pitting workers against each other to splinter the union.

Hope this works out and the newer employees and new hires finally get their due.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm glad to see this stuff finally happening more in the usa. In this case especially with trying to win back better pension and retirement benefits because it's outright been fucking awful seeing so many people ignore how fucked the system has be changed in the last few decades when it comes to retirements for people.

This is a reminder to any Americans who don't know, your 401k was never meant to be your sole source for retirement funding, it was meant to be used to help boost your pensions and such from work that generations before had and did well because of. It was then twisted to being the main focus and for the vast majority of Americans that 401k won't be anywhere close to enough to cover the costs long term, all the while these companies are making record profits off your labour for years and leaving you fucked at the end of it.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I say in every strike thread -- employees have all the leverage right now, so why not?