• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Gee I wonder why 2k feel like they can brazenly get away with all their bullshit

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
A year ago a lot of press with Game Pass helping exclusive to sell more like Sea of Thieves and State of Decay, now the game is selling shit because of Game Pass. What the change now?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Since DQ switch bombed, square doesn't really have an excuse not to give the PC/PS4 better music and the additional content now, other than people not caring to play their game anymore. At least for the sake of potential posterity
The "excuse" would be Nintendo having paid for that content, not Squareenix. Which, at least for the music, is almost certainly the case. That'd be a lawsuit and a half.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone surprised that Fire Emblem didn't even show up in the Switch games chart? That seems like quite a drop.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
what's very good though? Do persona 5, Xenoblade 2, and Pokemon not qualify?

EDIT: And Fire Emblem
5M+ in the west? Persona 5, Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem had good sales, maybe even very good sales for an AAA, but they weren't in the top 10 best selling game and probably won't ever be in this list (FF XV was 10th in 2016 and Final Fantasy VII Remake will probably be in the top 5 in 2020).

I wouldn't describe Pokémon as a "JRPG".

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'm not sure why you keep talking about GP, I know what caused these results and even my first post on the first page said so, I'm specifically talking about unit sales which is what this thread is about.

you claim it's a 'bad debut' and have been trying really hard to spin this as a franchise decline in this conversation. It may fit your narrative to ignore the effect of Gamepass, but it doesn't make any logical sense when this effect was expected and welcomed by MS.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You have no idea what the PS4/PC western sales are.

I thought we knew that sales outside of Japan were ~400k at some point last Fall. Considering it was a front loaded JRPG it likely isn't much more than that now. 500k seems like a fair estimate.

And that includes Asia, so Western sales are likely even less.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Pity that Nintendo wont share download sales.

Any info regarding how much Daemon X Machina and Dragon Quest XI S sold by the way? Too bad about Control as well.

Good news about Borderlands, Link's Awakening and Code Vein at least :)

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
iwl36evxxk1k.gif
Perfect!

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I thought we knew that sales outside of Japan were ~400k at some point last Fall. Considering it was a front loaded JRPG it likely isn't much more than that now. 500k seems like a fair estimate.

And that includes Asia, so Western sales are likely even less.
No we've never known anything other than 4m shipment after two months of the western release and retail sales in Japan of 3,089,164. That's it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
No we've never known anything other than 4m shipment after two months of the western release and retail sales in Japan of 3,089,164. That's it.

I can't find it now but people were throwing around 400k and 500k for sales outside of Japan for DQXI for months now. I thought that came from somewhere official.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I can't find it now but people were throwing around 400k and 500k for sales outside of Japan for DQXI for months now. I thought that came from somewhere official.
They have no idea what they're talking about.
Also the post below yours includes Famitsu digital estimates which is hilarious considering he just said "famitsu digital estimates are pulled out of someone's ass" XD
Don't trust people who have an agenda.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
the fact that it's so high when you could get a game pass sub for less than a cup of coffee is actually pretty impressive
And no Steam figures.
It probably did alright.
But I would like player figures, Gamepass makes sales figures less impactful, I'm a big fan and played it on both X and PC but didn't pay a cent for it.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest just looks uninteresting. It's not the genre, but how the game doesn't have any apparent hook. No idea what would be a solid hook while still retaining Japan's sales, but it can't just stay traditional if the west is to ever really care about it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That series just can't catch a break over here
yep :(
personally i felt like 11S had so much going for it (switch being a popular new-ish platform with good RPG base, the game getting a ton of marketing in the west by nintendo, hero getting into smash, etc), turns out that didn't matter that much in the end. at this point, i'd be happy if we don't go back to the 3DS days were the localizations were up in the air and SE couldn't be bothered. as long as the games get localized, i'm happy. maybe it's destined to stay a semi-niche series in the west :(

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
yep :(
personally i felt like 11S had so much going for it (switch being a popular new-ish platform with good RPG base, the game getting a ton of marketing in the west by nintendo, hero getting into smash, etc), turns out that didn't matter that much in the end. at this point, i'd be happy if we don't go back to the 3DS days were the localizations were up in the air and SE couldn't be bothered. as long as the games get localized, i'm happy. maybe it's destined to stay a semi-niche series in the west :(
XIS had the highest chances of succeeding in the West out of all the DQ games.

I think this is as high as it goes

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Enough of the DQ doom and gloom, what are everyone's expectations of Ring Fit Adventure? Surprise hit?
It has to chart being a physical only $80 SKU

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I didn't really get that "So nothing." part, but i guess that 1m info clarified this.

Man, shame that Nintendo won't have anything then, they really should share digital with NPD and other trackers.

To clarify, Nintendo will only report DQXI sales if the total is above one million, and only if it reaches that number before March 31st 2020.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To clarify, Nintendo will only report DQXI sales if the total is above one million, and only if it reaches that number before March 31st 2020.
they also occasionally report numbers under 1 million if it's interesting info (they did for bayo 1+2 on switch), but it's likely that they won't give numbers for DQ for a while.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Such a shame about DQ XI, if there is one late Switch port that deserved to do well, this was it. Unlike Doom, Skyrim and the rest, this isn't just a simple port, Square Enix really went the extra mile to improve the game substantially and make the wait worth it. I really don't understand this bad performance. Wasn't Octopath Traveller 1st place in its first month? You'd think there'd be a large market for traditional JRPGs on the Switch. Hopefully it did better in Europe.