• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can stand those NBA 2K games and the shit they pull. I hate seeing them rewarded like this.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How Dragon Quest 12 can succeed in the US

1. Same day launch as Japan
2. Become an action RPG
2nd one is just not gonna happen, Horii has said that on multiple occasions. considering the majority of sales for DQ come from japan, it'd be beyond idiotic to fundamentally change the game, piss off the audience that actually buys the games in millions, in order to chase a potential rise in sales that may never come.
i think as far as SE and Horii are concerned, sales outside of japan are just a bonus. that's why they don't even bother publishing the games most of the time and leave it to nintendo. they're not gonna change anything based on western performance.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
AAGsODG.img

Lmao almost spilled my coffee!

But yeah, always these games are going to top sales charts. Sad.

Gears is 21th most played game on MS's roundup. There might be a lot of GP subscribers, but most are not interested in Gears at this point.

A small dedicated community is all it is going to have.

This is pretty bad for a first party release day 1 on GP. Older games used to stay in top 10 most played 360 titles for year after its release. At this point i'm hoping The Coalition get more freedom and do a new IP for Scarlett.

Last edited:

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
It's funny as fuck how DQ11S is now just a re release. Like we didn't have dozens of threads detailing all the extras that were going into this version.

SE should add those extras for free to other platforms where people actually bought the game.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well it's not like there is a way back after they completely tanked their retail sails anyway. Either Gamepass flies or it's over. Problem with this is that they're going to need a shitload of subscribers (and not the $1 kind) to make this profitable in the long run.

The point of giving away so many cheap subs is to have millions of subs day one for Scarlett. They already have a few million subs right now and they don't even have many first party games out.
And Microsoft is one of the wealthiest companies in the world. They're not going to just disappear if things don't work out for them, but it will because they have money to burn.

I'll be surprised if they aren't at double digit millions by launch of project Scarlett

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Since DQ switch bombed, square doesn't really have an excuse not to give the PC/PS4 better music and the additional content now, other than people not caring to play their game anymore. At least for the sake of potential posterity

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's funny as fuck how DQ11S is now just a re release. Like we didn't have dozens of threads detailing all the extras that were going into this version.

SE should add those extras for free to other platforms where people actually bought the game.

Yeah, Nintendo pushed it hard in their Directs and I remember the buzz a few months ago about how DQXIS was going to be the entry/version to finally be the breakout success in the West. It's flopped like a mofo though and now we'll have to beg SE for XII.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can stand those NBA 2K games and the shit they pull. I hate seeing them rewarded like this.

How do you feel about FIFA then? Both are exploitive to a high degree.

These sports games have a massive casual audience that probably doesn't even know or care to know what "micro-transaction" means, they just want their yearly basketball/football/americanfootball fix

I'll be buying it over the holidays just so I can play as my favorite team. I don't care about career modes and all that other card shit so they won't get any extra money from me.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo pushed it hard in their Directs and I remember the buzz a few months ago about how DQXIS was going to be the entry/version to finally be the breakout success in the West. It's flopped like a mofo though and now we'll have to beg SE for XII.

The exact same stuff was said about vanilla DQXI. It didn't happen in either case, but people set the expectation of DQXIS outselling the original version which ended up WAY overambitious.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since DQ switch bombed, square doesn't really have an excuse not to give the PC/PS4 better music and the additional content now, other than people not caring to play their game anymore. At least for the sake of potential posterity
Sure they do. Porting that content back over to the PS4 and PC is time and money spent. If the Switch version really bombed that badly, what point is there to do a mulligan for a version that's likely to do even worse? At the very least the game seems to have performed decently in Europe.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
DQ should've released in 2017 and I would've bought it.

But right now, in the same launch period as Zelda:LA, Divinity Original Sin II, The Witcher 3, Ori & the blind forest? How many games can you play.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
DQ should've released in 2017 and I would've bought it.

But right now, in the same launch period as Zelda:LA, Divinity Original Sin II, The Witcher 3, Ori & the blind forest? How many games can you play.
D:OS 2, W3 and Ori are all late ports too. What's the difference with DQ11S?

Feb 26, 2018
I hadn't heard that. Interesting if true.
Just guessing. I don't see any other reason not to add them to PC and ps4

Nintendo might have contributed to whatever license fee Sugiyama wanted for the Orchestral soundtrack but everything else will have just been to justify a new release in Japan, where it was 2 years late.
Don't see how that would stop SE from updating other versions with extra content. Even if it's a paid dlc

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the excuse is not spending time and money on a year old (two year old in japan) release. a free update makes no sense and if you think 11S is doing bad, just how good do you think paid DLC for a year old JRPG would do?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
People don't buy DQ because its character design is butt ugly. DQ11 is one of my favorite JRPGs this gen but its the cold hard truth.

May 9, 2019
Maybe if DQXI came out the same month as the switch and was marketed as a release title, it would've gotten more recognition?

I bought the PS4 version and while loving it, XI was definitely old school and very basic to speak. It was my first DQ game so I went in knowing nothing of the franchise but the combat was a slow boring experience with no personality. Persona 5, especially, and even Pokemon presents it turn-based combat way better. I don't think it needs to be an action rpg.

The music was also bad but I don't think that was a driving factor in its sales. However, Persona 5 music made people catch on and help market it. I don't how but DQ does need to do SOMETHING to appeal bigger outside Japan.

I definitely wasn't double dipping for extra content. I said I liked the game but honestly, I don't see myself replaying it. It drags sometimes and while I don' mind long games, this certain one just did not want to end. Plus I hate the direction of the story in the last part of it.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
I still dont understand how selling ~40% of the PS4+Steam Entry with 1 week tracked vs 4-5 weeks and no digital is supposed to be Way underselling, and seeing as the game is still on the top 15 sales since then, i guess it have some kind of legs

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
the excuse is not spending time and money on a year old (two year old in japan) release. a free update makes no sense and if you think 11S is doing bad, just how good do you think paid DLC for a year old JRPG would do?
Who said anything about paid? I certainly wouldn't pay for the extras.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I still dont understand how selling ~40% of the PS4+Steam Entry with 1 week tracked vs 4-5 weeks and no digital is supposed to be Way underselling, and seeing as the game is still on the top 15 sales since then, i guess it have some kind of legs
Also no digital included for the Switch release.

Where did we get the 40% figure ?

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

It matters close to zero anyway.

The game is a multimillion seller in Japan, and the rest of the world combined doesn't even add up to 1 million.

Whatever is next for DQ is gonna be based around the Japanese market. The IP has no market relevance in the west and it will never have unless it changes drastically at the risk of losing the Japanese audience.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017

Yea. I double dipped, mainly because I wanted the extra features but most of my other friends who play JRPGs decided it wasnt worth paying full price for a game they had already played. I definitely enjoyed it on the Switch and its helping me introduce JRPGs to my GF (along with Ni no Kuni). The ridiculous things is that people are begging for a P5 port and I think it would be much the same.

People don't buy DQ because its character design is butt ugly. DQ11 is one of my favorite JRPGs this gen but its the cold hard truth.

People aint buying DQ11 because people have played it already. I mean its not a good look when you dont even patch the older versions of the games up to date.

This definitive version is definitely the one everyone should play, but they should have released it all together at once on all consoles to begin with.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
... Honestly, while I definitely hoped to see the game in the Top 20 and with higher sales (btw, count me among those who are shocked that Catherine made it in), I still wouldn't say it "cratered". It might still have had a decent debut, all things considered.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
I wish we would have gotten some insight into Zelda: LA sales performance in comparison to other Zeldas and where it ranks in total Switch Software sales for 2019.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just guessing. I don't see any other reason not to add them to PC and ps4

Don't see how that would stop SE from updating other versions with extra content. Even if it's a paid dlc

It's a linear JRPG and a lot of the new content is in the middle section of the game, and can't be easily accessed.

Even outside of that releasing paid DLC for a single player game after so long is unlikely to be financially viable.
Nope. I can guarentee you it is not.

Hopefully Square will give us some insight soon.

I'm not sure where the extra sales will come from, in the European markets we're seeing it debuting in the region of 50-70% of the PS4 version. US sales likely similar but look worse due to the tracking period and inclusion/exclusion of digital.

Relative to the original release that kind of performance is fine but definitely not what people were hoping for.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Also people are not buying DQXIS because it released shortly after Zelda. They're the same target group and that target group always prefers Zelda. It doesn't imo have anything to do with the art style, and only a bit with it being a port.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
There's a really, really, really simple answer to why DQXIS isn't performing better.

It was the same answer for every major DQ release in the west since DQVIII.

The franchise just isn't appealing to the masses.

Look in your heart, you know it to be true.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It's a linear JRPG and a lot of the new content is in the middle section of the game, and can't be easily accessed.

Even outside of that releasing paid DLC for a single player game after so long is unlikely to be financially viable.

I'm not sure where the extra sales will come from, in the European markets we're seeing it debuting in the region of 50-70% of the PS4 version. US sales likely similar but look worse due to the tracking period and inclusion/exclusion of digital.

Relative to the original release that kind of performance is fine but definitely not what people were hoping for.
50%-75% in Europe yes but DQXI launched on a Tuesday on PS4 and on a Friday on Switch (so 5-6 days trackes vs 2-3). Launch looks to be about on par there. Legs will determine the gap.

Saying that S outselling XI on PS4 is waaay overambitious is an exageration given the data we have.

My expectation was around 1m-1.5m WW and I am still feeling very confident about it.