• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Why did people think a long overdue port of DQ11 would sell gangbusters?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's like Nintendo doesn't realize why DQ isn't over here, just because FF, FE, Pokemon and Persona are popular here doesn't mean that every big JRPG will beceome a success here.
DQ has done well here in the past, but history shows it's only with original mainline titles

Open world action RPG DQ XII here we come I guess..

*sigh*
If anything I would imagine this make them want focus more on Japan.

SE should take a look at what Capcom did with MHW, there is no reason for a franchise to only breakthrough in a single market in this day and age.
Completely different genres and MH was always built for stuff like co-op.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Poor Astral Chain and Daemon X Machina...

Maybe Capcom was right after all. As long as Mario there, the other games don't have any chance to sell good. Maybe it's time for Mario to take some time off.

Here's hoping that the digital sales puts them at a higher place.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Does DQ Builders atleast do well in the states?

At least give me that. Theres probably going to be a third game and I'm gonna need that shit localized.

That spinoff is like crack to me.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose this ends the "Is Dragon Quest XI going to be the DQ game that hits it big in the West?" discussion. I think the art direction inherently limits the appeal of those games.

Oct 26, 2017
SE should take a look at what Capcom did with MHW, there is no reason for a franchise to only breakthrough in a single market in this day and age.

Well the concept of Monster Hunter is very appealing to Americans and Europeans (hunting dinosaurs, fuck yeah) whereas the concept of Dragon Quest is about remembering how you felt when you played Dragon Quest 3.

The best selling, turn-based RPG this generation other than Pokemon is Fire Emblem Three Houses which... is not very similar to Dragon Quest.

Persona 5 is at like 2m max outside of Japan and is the best selling game similar to DQ11? And a lot of those copies were sold at discounts.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe Capcom was right after all. As long as Mario there, the other games don't have any chance to sell good. Maybe it's time for Mario to take some time off.

What are you even talking about? Astral Chain was in the top 10 last month. What a load of nonsense.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Astral Chain already charted in August

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose this ends the "Is Dragon Quest XI going to be the DQ game that hits it big in the West?" discussion. I think the art direction inherently limits the appeal of those games.
I don't get why though.

Dragon Ball Z has always been insanely popular. People all across the world seem to like Toriyama's art.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Not even with a Gears game coming out that month? Wow how times have changed for this franchise. I think they need to reboot it come Gears 6. This is actually surprising to me.
With it being so late in the generation and there already being another Gears on the XB1 it was never gonna have a significant impact on sales. Any big Gears fan probably already bought a XB1 for Gears 4 and even if they didn't 99% probably already did in the years before 5.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Even with all the gambling controversy with NBA 2K20 it still charts at #1.

This is why nothing will change.

Things are always bad for Dragon Quest in the west.

Its depressing as fuck and insanely frustrating every time.

It's also still a port of a year old game. I'd be more concerned if it was a brand new entry in the series.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why though.

Dragon Ball Z has always been insanely popular. People all across the world seem to like Toriyama's art.

? DBZ and Dragon Quest don't look similar outside of Dragon Ball Super which introduced a lot of alt universe characters that are basically just Dragon Quest characters.

Toriyama draws not a ton of faces so the faces look similar across DQ and DBZ, but Dragon Quest is very cutesy compared to DBZ.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well the concept of Monster Hunter is very appealing to Americans and Europeans (hunting dinosaurs, fuck yeah) whereas the concept of Dragon Quest is about remembering how you felt when you played Dragon Quest 3.

The best selling, turn-based RPG this generation other than Pokemon is Fire Emblem Three Houses which... is not very similar to Dragon Quest.

Persona 5 is at like 2m max outside of Japan and is the best selling game similar to DQ11? And a lot of those copies were sold at discounts.
But Capcom have tried previously and it didn't work until MHW, point is change is needed if they want WW appeal.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Insane for 2K, woof for DQXIS and DXM.

Also it seems the Switch is between 425k and 538k (PS4 2018 and 2014) based on what Mat tweeted. Solid results, too bad we won't get splits.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would I spend money on DQXI S was Zelda was coming out around the same time? Plus it's a port and September was busy as hell.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Ok, come forward. Which one of you has actually bought NBA?

Like, wtf? Cant they just cancel these sport bullshit games? Another every year sport franchise at the top? I am soooo sad :(

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Gears is 21th most played game on MS's roundup. There might be a lot of GP subscribers, but most are not interested in Gears at this point.

A small dedicated community is all it is going to have.

Code Vein saved anime games.

my opinions on the borked gears controls confirmed.

I hate to be "that guy" but series needs an overhaul or make something new (as in put those developers on a non Gears new franchise), a reboot, MS. and in retrospect i hated the open world. Gorgeous visuals on 5 though.

you see sony didnt hold on to uncharted forever, they moved on. then when they go back to uncharted it will probably be bigger than ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Not even with a Gears game coming out that month? Wow how times have changed for this franchise. I think they need to reboot it come Gears 6. This is actually surprising to me.
I'm not sure if you are just trolling but you do know the switch lite cane out last month, right. It's also 6 years and the end of the console cycle. Nobodies buying consoles like that anymore

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

I don't think the art helps, but it isn't the main problem. It's an old school(VERY old school) turn based RPG. The market for that is limited in this country.

I don't get why though.

No one really gives that much of a crap about Toriyama in the west aside from his involvement in DBZ. DQ can't capitalize on that since it doesn't have anywhere near the immediate appeal of DBZ's fights and strong personalities.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Release it with the other versions next time instead of one of the most packed Sept in recent memory.

Obviously that would be ideal (also do a simultaneous worldwide release instead of wait a year) but I'm talking about the sales of the game overall, not just this release. It deserved to do way better.