• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Looking at Xbox Series performance everywhere, I think its safe to say that Era vastly overestimated the platform, insisting it would be able to compete with Sony much stronger than Xbox One. reality is nothing changed for now.

I thought Sony would be able to ship more in the US market. I wonder how much they shipped worldwide. anyway, strong month for all is good, and this is the first time in my life I witness a new console generation without analysts expecting that its going to be the last one and sales will crash. they seemed to never understand long hardware cycles :P

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I thought both the PS5 and series x were basically sold out, so did Xbox just ship way less consoles to stores ?

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
PS4-Money.gif

Can we please have an updated version of this?
Kaz giving off those major Homelander vibes

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at Xbox Series performance everywhere, I think its safe to say that Era vastly overestimated the platform, insisting it would be able to compete with Sony much stronger than Xbox One. reality is nothing changed for now.

As a person with a PS5 and no intent to get a Series x/s, can't really say yet whether MS is competing sales wise when both consoles are sold out, or performance wise when it's this early in the generation.

Just too early to draw conclusions.

Signed, a PS3 day one adopter.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's just crazy to me that this is happening with exactly one exclusive game. Microsoft with zero. I guess launches are not about that anymore.

It is not about the exclusives per se but rather about the precedent sony set during the ps4 generation. They released hit after hit, amazing games so i know what im getting with the ps5. As for xbox i have to wait and see what they release before i buy their console. I am excited because they have many studios now but i have to see results first.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Tales of Production Efficiency

these boxes are selling out the second they touch down, it'll be a couple months before we really see demand measurement

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
That only happened on this place, which we all know is completely out of touch with general consumer opinion. Added to that they showed the console in June which is the same as they did with the ps4. Users on here just got up in arms because Microsoft did it first which obviously meant sony had to do it right after.

Not only here. Many youtubers too. Microsoft's surprise reveal at TGA and their transparent approach after at made people expect the same from Sony.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Is X|S lower than XB1 combined or individually?

I assume they're counted together but im not sure if npd has counted skus in the same line separately before.
Microsoft sold more consoles this launch than any other but because of the world wide release allotments were smaller per country.

Waiting on amd to finalize the chip which leads to delaying manufacturing doesn't help and i wouldn't be surprised if the ddr shortage hurts them more than sony due to using higher end chips.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Don't read too much into the PS4 launch sales"

I forget, was it a game site that said this? Or an individual? That sounded familiar.

That first year after launch where US-based sites kept trying to downplay PS4 sales and say any criticism of the XB1's DRM plans was due to gamer "entitlement" was possibly the most embarrassing moment in video game journalism.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Microsoft sold more consoles this launch than any other but because of the world wide release allotments were smaller per country.

Do we know yet where they made up the numbers on that front? That'd be an interesting datapoint to look at. France was down, parts of Europe and Spain were down, US was down and UK was above Xbox One sales, but not by enough to cover the disparity in the other regions we know about.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I thought Sony would be able to ship more in the US market. I wonder how much they shipped worldwide. anyway, strong month for all is good, and this is the first time in my life I witness a new console generation without analysts expecting that its going to be the last one and sales will crash. they seemed to never understand long hardware cycles :P

I think few if anyone expected anything but the PS5 to be dominant straight out of the gate and likely easily dominate the series X/S saleswise this generation. I think MS is making some good moves and I think the combo of having a cheaper entry point + game pass may benefit them over the course of this generation. There is the potential for them to do better than last generation as a result but I think few would say much more than that.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Do we know yet where they made up the numbers on that front? That'd be an interesting datapoint to look at. France was down, parts of Europe and Spain were down, US was down and UK was above Xbox One sales, but not by enough to cover the disparity in the other regions we know about.

I'm not sure if there's a list of countries they launched in but xbox one launched in 13 countries. The series consoles launched in 40.
They definitely spread themselves thin to pull it off but it's probably the right call. Even sony said they wanted to avoid a staggered launch. I assume there's market research that shows limited supply is better than making markets feel left out.

Reel Big Fish

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
Lots of people here would love that to be true.
Let's be honest, lots of people here would want Sony and Nintendo to fail, too. People can't just be happy with a product they like. They want to see products other people like fail miserably as some bragging right, like they had a hand developing their product or something.

Of course, if you meant that because then those here who want one can go get one, then my reply, though still true, doesn't really apply to what you meant.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Impressive that it outsold/had more stock than Xbox in Microsoft's strongest/main market. Worldwide numbers must be nuts.
Was probably going to be Sony edging out regardless, but Microsoft seems to have shipped way less consoles than Sony. The PS5 is up for stock somewhere nearly every day. You see Series X go up maybe twice a week. Series S seems to have been shipped more.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was probably going to be Sony edging out regardless, but Microsoft seems to have shipped way less consoles than Sony. The PS5 is up for stock somewhere nearly every day. You see Series X go up maybe twice a week. Series S seems to have been shipped more.

Interesting. That's not the case here in Canada. I watch pretty closely and stock of Series X and S definitely come up more often than the PS5.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Yup. They can't be can't be compared like for like. But I think Nintendo console warriors took the Wii U's failure personally and Sony console warriors are high off the PS4's success and feel kinda threatened that another system is doing so well.

It's dumb but what can you do lol

What about us Sony fangirls who also love the switch (never been a Nintendo fan but I love my switch and if Nintendo makes a switch 2 I'd totally buy it)? I love the ps5 is doing well as well as the switch. Anyways I think Nintendo is not trying to directly compete with Sony or Microsoft but more be seen as something you can buy as well to get stuff they don't offer. I think they stopped trying to be a direct competitor a long time ago.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I assume they're counted together but im not sure if npd has counted skus in the same line separately before.

Waiting on amd to finalize the chip which leads to delaying manufacturing doesn't help and i wouldn't be surprised if the ddr shortage hurts them more than sony due to using higher end chips.
Seems kind of weird to count them together considering they're so different.

But it makes sense that MS was going for a global strategy, even markets like Brazil, India and Mexico got it day-and-date.

A friend of mine pre-ordered a PS5 in Brazil and only received it at the end of November.

Kokboi

Dec 11, 2017
People seem to forget that XB1 had a tremendous debut, with a huge demand from the NA continent but it didn't hold up in the new year (and years after that).
Debuts, especially with supply issues is to me not very much a indication of anything , so let's see if MS can do with Infinite/Gamepass/..... next year, what they couldn't last gen.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
To help sort out who most deserves a PS5, all sales in December must come from people who promise to play Astro first upon turning it on. If someone can come up with a test equally as cute for the also-sold-out Serieses, I'm all ears.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Is December NPD similar numbers to November historically? I'm guessing with new gen Novembers that is impossible because of limited stock?

So what's the ballpark for PS5/Xbox Dec?

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Is December NPD similar numbers to November historically? I'm guessing with new gen Novembers that is impossible because of limited stock?

So what's the ballpark for PS5/Xbox Dec?

If I remember correctly Xbox One had a psuedo-bounce back in December of 2013, selling more for the month, but still less overall than the PS4.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
If I remember correctly Xbox One had a psuedo-bounce back in December of 2013, selling more for the month, but still less overall than the PS4.

Oh interesting if true. I can't see either selling more in Dec this time, unless I missed the fact they got massive restocks in Dec (obviously still couple weeks left for that).

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
You know it's funny that in the 25 years Sony has been in the console industry and now going into their 5th Generation, you still got people who will argue with a straight face that Sony stumbled into their success because of the mistakes their competition made lol
Yeah, when actually the only one of the 3 that had a success vastly helped on the competion failures (launched 6-12 months later in several markets at 599€) was MS. (Also important to note that at that Sony was broke).

In sincerely think PS3 mistake is why Xbox exists today. If the PS3 had the same early success as all the other PS consoles, MS would have quit the gaming business over 10 years ago under Balmer.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Worldwide, it must have made up the numbers it's lacking in the primary territories elsewhere.

This is curious to me. Why would MS stock their most profitable market by far with less consoles than they did for XB1?

It's not like X/S will be sold out in Dubai or Poland, to use two examples where I have seen anecdotes of plenty of stock.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
This is curious to me. Why would MS stock their most profitable market by far with less consoles than they did for XB1?

It's not like X/S will be sold out in Dubai or Poland, to use two examples where I have seen anecdotes of plenty of stock.

Because if you choose to do a global launch, there are still token bare minimum that you need to do as a product supplier to your retailer/distributors.

E.g. Even a very small country would, at worst - get a 3-5 units per store allocation. They aren't gonna say "country X only gets 50 consoles for the entire country and we'll consider that as *launching in that country* "

You'd fuck up your relationship with your distributors if you push a sham launch because distributors have to bear some of the cost of marketing/launching a product at the local level.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Because if you choose to do a global launch, there are still token bare minimum that you need to do as a product supplier to your retailer/distributors.

E.g. Even a very small country would, at worst - get a 3-5 units per store allocation. They aren't gonna say "country X only gets 50 consoles for the entire country and we'll consider that as *launching in that country* "

You'd fuck up your relationship with your distributors if you push a sham launch because distributors have to bear some of the cost of marketing/launching a product at the local level.

Right so I guess the decision for a global launch at the detriment to NA is some kind of internsl strategy.