• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Microsoft should have launched the Series S Later in europe .

I hear its sold out in the U.S. but its available in every shop i enter here

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
As much as people love Demon's Souls, Astro Bot is a legit system seller. Showed it to two friends and my brother's family and they were all going nuts over how fun it is.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Good showing for the PS5.

Not so good for Xbox Series. Not beating the all-in-one-console is not a great look.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I wonder if the AMD chip Sony uses has a higher yield and that's part of the reason they had more supply. It'll give them a head start, and that's smart.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure, I haven't seen any official figures. All I recall from the launch night threads were people constantly checking stock checkers and finding zero DE's anywhere. It was all disc versions. The DE's seemed to be coming mostly from Sony Direct.
The numbers we were hearing from retailers during the initial preorders were definitely an 80/20 mix, but I haven't heard anything since.
From what I have seen here with reports it seems that Sony and Microsoft are essentially both going about 80/20 in terms of physical/digital.

Of course when you add in the thirst for ps5 and how everything is instantly selling out, that 20% allocation seemed a lot smaller, especially since it seems the series s was a little slower selling out compared to the series X.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Microsoft are NEVER going to sell more hardware units than Sony, regardless of the excuses made. They could have unlimited supply of units available for demand and it still wouldn't. They could buy Japanese developers, and keep buying third party publishers but it still won't make them sell more units.

Sony just has more mind share in certain markets, it's the equivalent of Apple where there are people that just won't entertain anything but Apple. Google or Samsung could give free things away, have better hardware but it doesn't matter. There are people that will only entertain Playstation.

In saying that, that's the reason Sony get arrogant, and it can hurt them, just look at what happened at PS3 launch....

I also don't really think Microsoft care about hardware units sold, they care more about subscriptions and getting people into the Xbox ecosystem regardless of whether that's PC, an Xbox or streaming on Xcloud.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yep. I recall that. But hitting the actual hardware allocation for launch day? it was 100/0. Nobody was finding any DE's at all, while there were hundreds of disc units stocked per store at places like Target.

So if the preorder allocation was 80/20, the TOTAL allocation was below that.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out after the supply catches up. I know some think they kill the unit ala the 20GB PS3, but i don't think so.

Having an available cheaper unit to match up with the Series S is still a good idea, IMO. "$100 more and you get a PS5!"

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
www.theverge.com

Xbox Game Pass subscribers jump 50 percent to 15 million in less than six months

It’s another sign that Microsoft’s Game Pass bet is starting to pay off.

Remember this is before the launch. These are the last official numbers from September

Those arent segregated between console and PC .... PC gamepass was dirt cheap and many jumped on it.

For all those great gamepass numbers, console sales didnt increase. Those number werent driven by new console owners.

Those gamepass numbers supposedly pointing to growth in Xbox is a myth and factually incorrect.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft are NEVER going to sell more hardware units than Sony. regardless of the excuses made. They could have unlimited supply of units available for demand and it still wouldn't. They could buy Japanese devices, and keep buying third party publishers but it still won't make them sell more units.

Sony just has more mind share in certain markets, it's the equivalent of Apple where there are people that just won't entertain anything but Apple. There are people that will only entertain Playstation.
Come on. This is a console launch. If there were more Xboxes in the US at launch than PS5s, then Xbox would have outsold it. If there would more Xboxes worldwide, than the PS5, it would have outsold it. This is production runs and supply during the first 3 months of a highly anticipated launch.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It will be interesting to see how this plays out after the supply catches up. I know some think they kill the unit ala the 20GB PS3, but i don't think so.

Having an available cheaper unit to match up with the Series S is still a good idea, IMO. "$100 more and you get a PS5!"

I think it is comparable to the 20 gig PS3, and I don't expect it to stick around in meaningful quantities.

There is a $100 gap between the DE and the Disc based unit. The drive itself does not cost $100 or anywhere close to it. you're talking 10 bucks in build cost, if that for a BRD.

So if Sony is selling the DE for that much less than the Disc Based unit, either the Disc Based PS5 has a TON of margin built into it (which isn't likely at all given the Series X is sold for the same cost) or they're taking a hit on the DE in order to come in at $399 for marketing purposes- which is exactly what they did with the 20 gig PS3.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt Phil say the Series consoles had the best launch ever for them? If so how is it at numbers lower than the underwhelming XB1 debut?

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Those arent segregated between console and PC .... PC gamepass was dirt cheap and many jumped on it.

For all those great gamepass numbers, console sales didnt increase. Those number werent driven by new console owners.

Those gamepass numbers supposedly pointing to growth in Xbox is a myth and factually incorrect.
Just stop..... I was asked to show an increase of Gamepass numbers, not about console sales

You can't sell more than you can make, and also with a larger global launch of course there is a chance with less units allocated due to later production and pandemic

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Come on. This is a console launch. If there were more Xboxes in the US at launch than PS5s, then Xbox would have outsold it. If there would more Xboxes worldwide, than the PS5, it would have outsold it. This is production runs and supply during the first 3 months of a highly anticipated launch.
To clarify I was talking in general, over the course of the gen. I agree that sales numbers at this point in time don't really reflect accurate sales as it's limited by supply for Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox One gen really, really hurt the Xbox brand. They have a lot of work ahead of them, but they're in a good position to regain some momentum. Hard to overstate how monumental the Halo delay was for this year, it really is a very bad stumble out of the gate. I imagine the Series X would've done MUCH better if it had Halo, or frankly any killer next-gen game at all.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I think it is comparable to the 20 gig PS3, and I don't expect it to stick around in meaningful quantities.

There is a $100 gap between the DE and the Disc based unit. The drive itself does not cost $100 or anywhere close to it. you're talking 10 bucks in build cost, if that for a BRD.

So if Sony is selling the DE for that much less than the Disc Based unit, either the Disc Based PS5 has a TON of margin built into it (which isn't likely at all) or they're taking a hit on the DE in order to come in at $399 for marketing purposes- which is exactly what they did with the 20 gig PS3.

I would agree with you completely...if the Series S didn't exist. Since it does, I think the DE has a story and a reason for existing beyond launch.

I admit I'm biased though. I bought a DE, not due to price, but because I love the way it looks and would never use the drive anyway, so it was a no brainer for me. A disc drive in a 2020 console just felt off to me, so I was happy to have the option.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

So if Sony is selling the DE for that much less than the Disc Based unit, either the Disc Based PS5 has a TON of margin built into it (which isn't likely at all given the Series X is sold for the same cost) or they're taking a hit on the DE in order to come in at $399 for marketing purposes- which is exactly what they did with the 20 gig PS3.

Except that buying DE forces you to buy digital games, where Sony has a 30% margin.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Did you read the OP, it sold less in the US.
You're being deliberately and obviously obtuse.

Series X/S sold more than the Xbox One did at launch, Worldwide.
Series X/S sold less than the Xbox One did at launch, in the US.
The Xbox One launched in 13 Counties.
The Xbox Series X/S launched in 37 Countries.

All these statements are true. How could that be? How many were made, and where they were disturbed.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It's just crazy to me that this is happening with exactly one exclusive game. Microsoft with zero. I guess launches are not about that anymore.

Well, I mean, there are quite a few games taking advantage of PS5 - the fact they also exist on PS4 does not negate that. I'd say the launch lineup is great, I don't see how having these games on the previous gen makes it worse.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I would agree with you completely...if the Series S didn't exist. Since it does, I think the DE has a story and a reason for existing beyond launch.

I admit I'm biased though. I bought a DE, not due to price, but because I love the way it looks and would never use the drive anyway, so it was a no brainer for me. A disc drive in a 2020 console just felt off to me, so I was happy to have the option.

The 20 Gig PS3 also existed beyond launch. I think it was technically in production until April of 2007, so about 6 months.

I don't think the Series S is going to sell very much at all, honestly. That system ALSO exists as a marketing stunt by MS to have an Xbox that would severely undercut Sony at launch to attract the casual audience "but still play next gen games". From what we can see of EU sales that didn't seem to work, there ARE no "next gen exclusives" on the Series S vs. the Xbox One, and we are already beginning to see significant performance gaps in cross gen software between the X and S, which MS swore wouldn't happen.

I give it about a year before both the Series S and the DE are basically phased out units. Neither company is going to want to spend a lot of money or effort manufacturing those. Sony because they are clearly losing their shirts selling them at $399, Microsoft because the Series S simply isn't going to be moving many or any units given the state of the market.

Last edited: