• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I think he meant "Next gen" exclusive, but even then, there are two (great ones): Astrobot and DeS.
Yup. The reality is, most games people are playing on their new consoles can be played on PS4/XBO.

You don't need to explain the appeal of a new console to me, I post on a gaming forum. But "system seller", "killer app" are terms that exist for a reason. You used to need... well, "system selling" exclusives to move consoles, and looking at the NPD data we know Demon's Souls is not what is moving PS5 systems.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It's been 7 years.

People are tired of the PS4.

This site has folks with their NES still hooked up lol. It does not reflect the mainstream. Most people want the new and shiny. And that's not a bad thing. That why generations exist in the CE world.
Most people in the site knew what was going to happen. It's a very very small minority of people even on here that thought it was not going to be the case

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know if the NPD will have any sort of numbers for xbox or does Microsoft still keeps those numbers behind closed doors
Normally NPD has more accurate Xbox numbers (sold to consumer, so sold-through) than Microsoft does, so yeah they do. They just never publish those numbers anymore, just like they're not mentioning the amount of units PS5 or Switch sold.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's due to supply and starting production late. Xbox also launched in 3x the countries (40 vs 13) to XB1 in 2013.

Worldwide launch was higher than XB1 yet US is lower. There simply weren't any more units that could be sold.
If we look at Spain (and possibly other countries), there does not seem to be a marked higher interest than for XB1 though.
As for being -actually- sold out, depends if you believe their reporting.
We all know what happened back in 2013 and Mehdi declaring they were "sold out at retailers around the world", while day 1 XB1 units were stacked high in warehouses.

There is a sort of history here...

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gamepass is really having trouble getting people into the Xbox ecosystem, huh? MS should rethink their strategy.

Both consoles sold out, so all this data really tells us is how many next-gen systems both platforms were able to manufacture and allocate to the US.

Oct 31, 2017
PS4-Money.gif

Can we please have an updated version of this?
😂 This meme needs an update.

X Series S|X debuting lower than XB1 isn't surprising given MS' exclusive woes. Not launching with Halo hurt them for sure but at least the system sold out.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
If we look at Spain (and possibly other countries), there does not seem to be a marked higher interest than for XB1 though.
We all know what happened back in 2013 and Mehdi declaring they were "sold out at retailers around the world", while day 1 XB1 units were stacked high in warehouses.

Uh we know it's sold out. Every country reported sellouts in November and it's not any easier this close to Christmas.

And Spain the Series X sold out, hell even Japan was sold out.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The reality is, most games people are playing on their new consoles can be played on PS4/XBO.

You don't need to explain the appeal of a new console to me, I post on a gaming forum. But "system seller", "killer app" are terms that exist for a reason. You used to need... well, "system selling" exclusives to move consoles, and looking at the NPD data we know Demon's Souls is not what is moving PS5 systems.
Lol. What?

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Damn, Xbox really didn't have many consoles for launch did they if it sold less than Xbox One. Must have entered into production late?

This is cool and all, but doesn't mean much when every single ps5 and Xbox is sold out literally everywhere.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
As expected for PS5! Happy to have gotten one! Switch will remain a monster for a long time. Hoping for a pro model soon still!

Series S/X lower than X1 though??? Is that combined or individually? Because wow...

Edit: Ahh supply constraints. I see.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Damn, Xbox really didn't have many consoles for launch did they if it sold less than Xbox One. Must have entered into production late?

This is cool and all, but doesn't mean much when every single ps5 and Xbox is sold out literally everywhere.

It tells us that Sony did a much better job with producing consoles.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
exactly. The effective price of the PS5 was $499, since that $399 unit is rare as hell. Outselling the PS4 in units at a price point $100 past it *during a pandemic and record unemployment* is very impressive.

Is the mix still 80/20 physical/digital or was that just for the initial preorders?

I love my DE and I'm glad I was able to secure one at launch.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
😂 This meme needs an update.

X Series S|X debuting lower than XB1 isn't surprising given MS' exclusive woes. Not launching with Halo hurt them for sure but at least the system sold out.
As expected for PS5! Happy to have gotten one! Switch will remain a monster for a long time. Hoping for a pro model soon still!

Series S/X lower than X1 though??? Is that combined or individually? Because wow...

We don't know if anything has hurt Xbox because it's completely sold out everywhere. All we know is they didn't have enough made to meet demand, that's it.

Even ps5 would have done better if the supply could meet demand.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Is the mix still 80/20 physical/digital or was that just for the initial preorders?

I love my DE and I'm glad I was able to secure one at launch.

Not sure, I haven't seen any official figures. All I recall from the launch night threads were people constantly checking stock checkers and finding zero DE's anywhere. It was all disc versions. The DE's seemed to be coming mostly from Sony Direct.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
There are some important instances why the xbox series consoles were considerably less. It launched it more countries (40 vs 13) and it had began production much later compared to Sony

This is not anything against the sources, as their tweets tell the full story. It is the posts by users

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I would have thought that Microsoft would have launched this generation stronger than XB1, at least in the US, regardless of the pandemic honestly. Especially considering how they were the ones being praises every step of the way, until they showed Halo at least...

A little surprising to me, but congrats to Sony on a great launch in awkward times for this stuff. I suspect Microsoft will gain momentum with each passing quarter, as their first party studios ramp up and start delivering.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Wasn't there a leak posted a while back that Sony bought significantly more wafers from TSMC? Surely that explains the difference.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Not sure, I haven't seen any official figures. All I recall from the launch night threads were people constantly checking stock checkers and finding zero DE's anywhere. It was all disc versions. The DE's seemed to be coming mostly from Sony Direct.

The numbers we were hearing from retailers during the initial preorders were definitely an 80/20 mix, but I haven't heard anything since.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I think it can take the PS4, but not the PS2. Of course, we'll need to watch trajectory, but it will outsell its closest competition quite handily and be another 100+ million seller for Sony.
I think aside from it being a far better console than the PS4 was, we live in a very different world nowadays which changes things.

People go out far less (they can't do things they used to) and they're looking for new things to do, which will also have a massive effect on sales.

I'm sure it's also helped game sales. For me personally I've spent more on games than I normally would have as I have less to do, and more disposable income.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

They sell more than XBO in Germany,France,UK (biggest EU market) with limited stock.

I think that by the next 3-4 NPD we will be able to see if it was only a question of really limited stock or the demand is less stronger than the One in US.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017

In Portugal Xbox Series is complete sold out. PS5 and Xbox never been in a store shell.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
Good for them. I wish I had the time to revisit every "it's x months until Q4 and we still don't have a date/price" or "it's x days until launch and we still haven't seen the UI/NBA 2K/the console's butthole" concern thread and post these numbers.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
Let me think....... the pandemic
Could be...yet the PS5 sold more units than the PS4 did under the same 'pandemic' circumstances.

Euuuh, didn't Microsoft stated that it was their most successful debut in history? lol
They did, they managed that by releasing in more countries this time around. The Xbox One launched in a lot of countries almost a year later. So in theory the Xbox Series X/S sold more units in it's launch week while selling less units in each country, one of which is the US.

Since both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S launch all units were/are sold-out, it's hard to say how good Xbox Series is performing (the same goes for PS5). The next few months will paint a clearer picture.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The numbers we were hearing from retailers during the initial preorders were definitely an 80/20 mix, but I haven't heard anything since.

Yep. I recall that. But hitting the actual hardware allocation for launch day? it was 100/0. Nobody was finding any DE's at all, while there were hundreds of disc units stocked per store at places like Target.

So if the preorder allocation was 80/20, the TOTAL allocation was below that.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't there a leak posted a while back that Sony bought significantly more wafers from TSMC? Surely that explains the difference.
It's absolutely more reflective of supply than anything.

However, PS5 seems to be way more in demand given the "2nd hand" market prices. Prices are up to 2.5x the MSRP even with it being the most supplied console launch in history, and that number is more than the PS4 or any other system in recent memory.