• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Definitely not surprising about the switch. Being portable is what folks want. My partner plays mine while I play my ps5. It's such a win win.

Ghosts of Tsushima selling so well makes me incredibly happy. I've yet to finish it, but it definitely deserves its praise

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Definitely not surprising about the switch. Being portable is what folks want. My partner plays mine while I play my ps5. It's such a win win.

Ghosts of Tsushima selling so well makes me incredibly happy. I've yet to finish it, but it definitely deserves its praise

Such a great game. Absolutely loved it. Cannot wait for the sequel

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Am I missing something? How is Call of Duty the best selling game of it's launch month for the past 13 years?

I would assume at the least that GTA V in 2013 would have beat Call of Duty Ghosts and a quick google search confirms as much.

Edit* Ah right, I was thinking of the 2014 re-launch on PS4/Xone consoles which I assume didn't beat CoD

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

There is also the factor that because it's portable families are buying 2 or more of them. Anecdotally speaking two of my irl buddies bought a second switch so their wives could play Animal Crossing. I can also imagine had the switch been out when I was in middle school/high school my family would have owned 3 (for my sister, my brother, and myself). The hybrid nature gives it an appeal that is impossible to compare to anything that came before.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Am I missing something? How is Call of Duty the best selling game of it's launch month for the past 13 years?

I would assume at the least that GTA V in 2013 would have beat Call of Duty Ghosts and a quick google search confirms as much.

GTAV launched in Sep 2013. Ghosts launched in Nov.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Considering everything is sold old, no new game would make a difference.

It's one of those great months where everyone have a good story to tell.

Let's just celebrate that the industry we love is healthy.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is pretty great for AOC, for some reason I'm surprised it beat Demon's being a launch title and whatnot.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It certainly is a bit underwhelming considering October was up something crazy like 70% YOY. Pokemon or no Pokemon most people were expecting November to also be up YOY, not down.

There were supply constraints, two other consoles launched and Pokemon launched last year.

You can't say "Pokemon or no Pokemon" and expect that to be a valid argument.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
October was up 138% YoY lol, and this is coming off a +56% Sep and +109% Aug.

Oh yeah, not sure why I can't remember those numbers all the time haha

There were supply constraints, two other consoles launched and Pokemon launched last year.

You can't say "Pokemon or no Pokemon" and expect that to be a valid argument.

Huh? "Pokemon or no Pokemon" is my way of saying it was 100% an issue of stock, like you said. A Pokemon game launching would've made no difference, next gen consoles made no difference, the console was sold out.

The underwhelming thing here was the supply. Considering October was up 138% YOY I think it was very reasonable to assume November would also be up, since Nintendo had assured us they fixed their supply chain. The fact that it was down YOY means they didn't have enough supply which is disappointing.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
It's also possible that any number of potential November purchases happened in October to try and get ahead of the holidays.

Switch can't benefit from infinite momentum and demand. We just have to wait and see if there really is that many more people waiting to get a Switch.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Oh yeah, not sure why I can't remember those numbers all the time haha

Huh? "Pokemon or no Pokemon" is my way of saying it was 100% an issue of stock, like you said. A Pokemon game launching would've made no difference, next gen consoles made no difference, the console was sold out.

The underwhelming thing here was the supply. Considering October was up 138% YOY I think it was very reasonable to assume November would also be up, since Nintendo had assured us they fixed their supply chain. The fact that it was down YOY means they didn't have enough supply which is disappointing.

I was responding to someone who was saying the sales numbers themselves were underwhelming. They weren't. Because of the situation surrounding it.

As Piscatella said, as someone who understands these numbers more than any of us in this thread, Switch only being down slightly is actually remarkable. Not underwhelming.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I was responding to someone who was saying the sales numbers themselves were underwhelming. They weren't. Because of the situation surrounding it.

As Piscatella said, as someone who understands these numbers more than any of us in this thread, Switch only being down slightly is actually remarkable. Not underwhelming.
This! Let´s listen to the experts.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's also possible that any number of potential November purchases happened in October to try and get ahead of the holidays.

Switch can't benefit from infinite momentum and demand. We just have to wait and see if there really is that many more people waiting to get a Switch.

Unless I'm mistaken the OG Switch is still sold out basically everywhere in the US. Amazon isn't getting new shipments for weeks and I haven't heard of other sites having stock at the moment. I don't think there's anything indicating demand has gone below supply now or in November.

It certainly is possible that demand trails off a bit soon though.

Eh I don't really buy his reasoning there. Yes, in the grand scheme of things it's quite an impressive performance but if you actually look at in context of what has been going on with the console this year it becomes a tad underwhelming. That doesn't take anything away from what they've achieved this year, that's just how it is.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Its wonderful seeing all three platforms have success. Great results IMO. And "wow" at Nintendo having 8 of the top 20 selling games for the month. Even bigger "wow" when you consider those numbers do not include digital sales.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Eh I don't really buy his reasoning there. Yes, in the grand scheme of things it's quite an impressive performance but if you actually look at in context of what has been going on with the console this year it becomes a tad underwhelming. That doesn't take anything away from what they've achieved this year, that's just how it is.

The context is what makes his reasoning completely valid.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken the OG Switch is still sold out basically everywhere in the US. Amazon isn't getting new shipments for weeks and I haven't heard of other sites having stock at the moment. I don't think there's anything indicating demand has gone below supply now or in November.

It certainly is possible that demand trails off a bit soon though.
I have no look into inventory so I have no clue but there can be any number of reasons to explain potential shortcomings in sales.

Even if December is similarly flat from last year, I wouldn't make any call until after March. If Q1 is crazy high compared to what is normally sold, then demand is still very high.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
I have no look into inventory so I have no clue but there can be any number of reasons to explain potential shortcomings in sales.

Even if December is similarly flat from last year, I wouldn't make any call until after March. If Q1 is crazy high compared to what is normally sold, then demand is still very high.

Just looking forward, Jan/Feb seem like near-locks to be up big YoY. Software is stronger, momentum should be a little stronger, and supply should be better.

March is impossible to top in the US, that 2020 figure is insane. I can see 450-600K range for all three months, meaning Q1 YoY would be flat if it hits the middle of that range.

Following that it becomes less clear, with little insight yet on what their software/hardware plan is going to be.

But yeah, maybe demand has finally tapered too, we'll see how it plays out.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All these switch buyers gonna be disappointed when a new console gets announced in a couple months.

You buy any modern electronic that's mid-cycle at the peril of a new model anyway.

Someone buying a PS5 3 years from now will be in the same boat ... PS5 Pro could be announced a few short months after their purchase.

If that's something that bothers that you ought to be an early adopter.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Demon's Souls making the top ten for the month even though it's exclusive to a platform that just released is a very good sign.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
The PS5 is a beast in the making.

tenor.gif

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Another Pokémon game releasing only would have affected sales in the sense that Nintendo would have reshuffled the same amount of stock differently between September, October and November, it wouldn't have magically resulted in more total HW being produced

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Miles Morales not doing as well was expected, these half-step games just don't do as well which is fine because they're also made with lower budgets. But Spider-Man 2 is gonna do some insane numbers, it's gonna blow Sony's current records out of the water.

it probably has more to do with releasing during a holiday season with other big games compared to Spiderman PS4. The game sold well regardless and will have long legs just like Spiderman PS4 did with over 20 million units sold.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Switch keeping up the sales level with no premier games and still somewhat supply constrained is impressive. I think expectations are way too high for the Switch because of the unusual covid situation but its also covid what possibly delayed some games to next year. I don't think December will be any different but I think it will beat out last year but nothing close to 3 million or anything. Switch momentum should continue early next year too but I think it will lose some steam in 2021. By september we should have a new Switch model to continue the momentum.