• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm just confusing the storage format itself or something (mask rom) so that wouldn't be the cause of the high costs unless there's no one else using rom chips

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
2 mil seems a lock at this point. Just how high is the question really.

DEAR, GOD.

I remain confident with my 2.25m prediction, still not think is gonna reach 2.5 million, though i really hope to see those numbers, it would be amazing.

It... it literally is.

2959.jpg

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm just confusing the storage format itself or something (mask rom) so that wouldn't be the cause of the high costs unless there's no one else using rom chips

I think it's the fact that everyone is using flash memory so they're all fighting over finite production. The cartridge format being proprietary certainly doesn't make things any cheaper.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Considering the number of exceptions you guys have shown, there's probably something else going on than what I suggested, which would require a much more uniform price hike. Tales of Vesperia therefore most likely isn't an example for this.

It's not a big deal, though, since that specific point wasn't important to the overall argument (which was that 32 GB cards were indeed quite expensive).

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that I exclusively look to Disgaea titles to explain the changes to production and distribution costs across the entire industry. It's the only franchise that really covers everything happening in gaming.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
But with 10€ in coupons for Fnac+ members at the opposite of the PS4/X1 versions.

So yeah it could be more expensive to produce the Switch version but not significantly so.
Considering the number of exceptions you guys have shown, there's probably something else going on than what I suggested, which would require a much more uniform price hike. Tales of Vesperia therefore most likely isn't an example for this.

It's not a big deal, though, since that specific point wasn't important to the overall argument (which was that 32 GB cards were indeed quite expensive).

Yeah there is definitely something weird going on with that game in some European countries, weird.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue for carts is the large sized ones

Many of the big 3rd party games people talk about would require 32GB or larger cards

The price for those is insanely expensive. To the point that it becomes nearly impossible to release your product due to the hit you will take.

Nintendo consoles are still primarily physical based by a wide margin. Digital is growing rapidly for them but it's still not comparable to physical sales at all. If you plan on releasing a product on the Switch you have to assume the majority of your revenue will come through physical distribution. If you need a large sized cartridge? It's just not worth the return

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issue for carts is the large sized ones

Many of the big 3rd party games people talk about would require 32GB or larger cards

The price for those is insanely expensive. To the point that it becomes nearly impossible to release your product due to the hit you will take.

Nintendo consoles are still primarily physical based by a wide margin. Digital is growing rapidly for them but it's still not comparable to physical sales at all. If you plan on releasing a product on the Switch you have to assume the majority of your revenue will come through physical distribution. If you need a large sized cartridge? It's just not worth the return

I'm sure it's a ton of money, seeing as 32GB carts cost more than $20, but if some of those canceled games or games put on hold are Call of Duty and GTA V, Nintendo should have bit the bullet IMO. At some point, they have to recognize that they've been in this mess with third parties for 20 years and having them actually want to bring their biggest games to your platform but being unable to do so because of cart prices is Nintendo wasting a golden opportunity to start getting out of that quagmire they put themselves into.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's a ton of money, seeing as 32GB carts cost more than $20, but if some of those canceled games or games put on hold are Call of Duty and GTA V, Nintendo should have bit the bullet IMO. At some point, they have to recognize that they've been in this mess with third parties for 20 years and having them actually want to bring their biggest games to your platform but being unable to do so because of cart prices is Nintendo wasting a golden opportunity to start getting out of that quagmire they put themselves into.
Waiting another year is not a bad move tho. Bigger install-base, lower price for the carts, higher profits.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting another year is not a bad move tho. Bigger install-base, lower price for the carts, higher profits.

Waiting another year could be the start of next gen and it might not be the worth ROI for those companies then .
Plus i expect next gen games size going to go up again with everyone moving to 4k \ semi 4k.
If Sony and MS use UHD game size going to be crazy lol.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
In my country in Europe, pretty much every single multiplat game with simultaneous release across platform has had the same price since summer 2018 or so I'd say. However, they rarely drop in price at the same pace as for Xbox and PS4 though and when out on the market for a while they are pricier than their counterparts. Still, a lot better than before when pretty much all those games were more expensive.

But 30-40-50$ games from all sorts of publishers has been consistantly priced the same for the most part. Games like Blazblue, Crash Bandicoot, Shining Resonance, Valkyria Chronicles 4, GRIP and so on.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

They may have done this with some games like Skyrim and Doom seeing as how those were distributed by Nintendo. But those games could fit on a 16GB card so maybe the cost was just too great for them to do it with 32GB cards. There was a rumor a while back that they completely stopped offering those 32GB cards anyway.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting another year could be the start of next gen and it might not be the worth ROI for those companies then .
Plus i expect next gen games size going to go up again with everyone moving to 4k \ semi 4k.

I was talking about 2019 so 1 year delay compared to 2018. It should be good timing wise.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't more Publishers go the route of releasing their game on a 16 GB card and offering the rest as a download? I know it's not ideal, but it seems like an option more would utilize if they did want their titles released on a Switch. Is their truth into the thought that they have to have a portion of the game playable without any downloads?

At the same time Nintendo is doing just fine currently as is and probably doesn't want to take a huge hit to their profits either. If they could wait until 2019 where card prices may be lower it will make more financial sense for them and 3rd Parties.

Hopefully those games do come this year though for those that do want them but I'm not expecting many games will use the 32 GB cards.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It works for the projects that were put on hold, but those that were canceled, I'd imagine some of them were time sensitive, like Call of Duty where if the game doesn't release one year, it won't release at all. I'd agree that 2018 or 2019 for a GTA V port doesn't make much difference, but it would suck if it wasn't just put on hold until 2019 and was just canceled outright.

Looking forward to seeing how things shake out this year. The Switch is Nintendo's best opportunity to start fixing their third-party issue in 20 years. It's ironic that carts are once again the damn roadblock.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
So when we talk about those SD card fees, do they already include the platform holder physical tax, that is around $12 for $60 games. Or does that come on top of $20+ for 32GB cards?

That would be ridiculously expensive.
Also those costs also explain why Nintendo is light on the current gen bundle games and give them away for free train.
For Microsoft a Code is $0.1
For Nintendo a that's a totally different story and still a lot more than Blu-Rays for Sony.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like strategically it makes more sense for Nintendo to buddy buddy up to a pub like Bethesda vs. the usual suspects who will come and go regardless

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like strategically it makes more sense for Nintendo to buddy buddy up to a pub like Bethesda vs. the usual suspects who will come and go regardless

I agree. Wii U actually had a lot of the "usual suspects" at launch and people largely didn't care and most were quick to jump ship. I think Nintendo has done a much better job of what 3rd Party Publishers they court on Switch compared to Wii U but maybe that just comes down to personal preference.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It works for the projects that were put on hold, but those that were canceled, I'd imagine some of them were time sensitive, like Call of Duty where if the game doesn't release one year, it won't release at all. I'd agree that 2018 or 2019 for a GTA V port doesn't make much difference, but it would suck if it wasn't just put on hold until 2019 and was just canceled outright.

Looking forward to seeing how things shake out this year. The Switch is Nintendo's best opportunity to start fixing their third-party issue in 20 years. It's ironic that carts are once again the damn roadblock.

Yeah, CoD games are yearly releases, so I could see some projects like CoD being canceled (I mean there is oportunity every year for some CoD game),
while game like GTA V was put on hold.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I can see 20 cent / GB figure being viable for 16 GB/ 8 GB cards

But doubt 32/64 GB will be 20/cent per GB as you generally see a more $ per GB as you move on to higher capacity chips for things like microSD cards, I'd imagine the same economies apply where packing in more transistors mean more $ per GB.

As I said in the previous thread if they can get 16 GB cards to 20cent/GB that's a really good price and that puts 32 GB cards within reach if we assume say 40 cent or 60 cents per GB for this. Nintendo can realistically subsidize bigger 32GB card games from major third parties if they need to

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has already been brought up over the last few pages, but do we have an indication of what December sales were like across all three consoles? Also, did PSVR pick up as well?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has already been brought up over the last few pages, but do we have an indication of what December sales were like across all three consoles? Also, did PSVR pick up as well?

Switch: 2-2.5M (or maybe even more?)
PS4: ~1M, possibly a bit under?
XB1: I'm not sure if we were given hints but I recall someone guessing ~1.3M

You should note though that the December tracking period isn't over yet. It goes until January 5th IIRC.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch: 2-2.5 (or maybe even more?) million
PS4: ~1M, possibly a bit under?
XB1: I'm not sure if we were given hints but I recall someone guessing ~1.3M

You should note though that the December tracking period isn't over yet. It goes until January 5th IIRC.
Switch is more than the other two put together? Wut

Any news on VR? Also thanks for the response!