• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Switch if the 2 Million mark really happens.

I wish it was just 30-40% more powerful,3rd parties would be all over it. I think thats the only thing holding back 3rd parties now, lets hope the Switch Revision in 2019 does that.
Based on commentary over the last year, it really seems like the biggest factor by far is the cost of larger game cards. Regardless of system power, $15+ for a 32GB card is untenable.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana

I wish it was just 30-40% more powerful,3rd parties would be all over it. I think thats the only thing holding back 3rd parties now, lets hope the Switch Revision in 2019 does that.
Ehh, I don't know, there's always one more step we can imagine that might make things much better. Back in the Wii days it was "It's not just that it's underpowered, but if only it wasn't so dissimilar to the other machines ports would be viable", and Switch is closer to its competition than that imaginary machine would've been.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new version every 3 years, with games needing to work on the previous model, would mean you effectively have a 6 year generation. I think they'd struggle with branding it in a way which informs people what the situation is though, so they probably won't.

Boy, I can't count. I guess it would be three years. Time flies.

But yeah, given how confusing the whole NEW 3DS thing was I'm not sure how much faith I've got in that approach.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018

I feel like switch is a different case from the wii for a couple of reasons. I actually expect a big increase of 3rd party support next year. Call of duty at least

Oct 26, 2017
A new version every 3 years, with games needing to work on the previous model, would mean you effectively have a 6 year generation. I think they'd struggle with branding it in a way which informs people what the situation is though, so they probably won't.
3DS and New 3DS shows they will struggle with branding but do it anyway.

Boy, I can't count. I guess it would be three years. Time flies.

But yeah, given how confusing the whole NEW 3DS thing was I'm not sure how much faith I've got in that approach.
2 and a half is a good compromise, and probably the closest if it does come in 2019.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, release the theoretical "switch pro" at $324.99, drop og switch to $249.99.

I just don't see a model that justifies devaluing the switch like that this early in its life when it's already looking to continue breaking industry records at least in US.
In thinking about this more, I'm not sure about the whole devaluing aspect, but given that we know Nintendo is subsidizing game card costs on the smaller cards, a price drop might be further out than we think. Consider that, as mentioned in my other post, the larger size cards are still prohibitively expensive, Nintendo may put hardware profits into addressing that issue rather than cutting hardware price.

$20+ actually.

Getting those costs down really needs to be a top priority for Nintendo.

Yeah I had the $20 figure in my head initially, but it sounded too high, and I didn't want to go dig for the number LOL.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I was wondering: is the current week we are in a huge week as well? It's conceivably the week where many folks can spend their Christmas gift money, although most will probably have received an actual gift item, of course. How does it compare to other weeks in December?

Aug 26, 2018
I can't see a situation in which Nintendo would allow developers to release software that did not run on a base Switch only two years after release.

Well, it could be like a mid-cycle revision like the 1X and Pro were. They both still run the same games but much better. Switch could benefit from that.

Based on commentary over the last year, it really seems like the biggest factor by far is the cost of larger game cards. Regardless of system power, $15+ for a 32GB card is untenable.

Well, if Nintendo does one thing well, it is to sell at Full price. Nintendo customers usually are tuned to buy at full prices of 299$ or 60$. So, a 399$ revision won't be the worst thing ever if the base Switch drops to 249$.

Ehh, I don't know, there's always one more step we can imagine that might make things much better. Back in the Wii days it was "It's not just that it's underpowered, but if only it wasn't so dissimilar to the other machines ports would be viable", and Switch is closer to its competition than that imaginary machine would've been.

I feel Switch has shown enough in its first 18 months that it is here to stay and 3rd parties will want to take advantage of it. Imagine COD selling at 60$ for 6-8 months on Switch whereas selling at half the price on Xbox or PS. There is a big opportunity there since there are more units in customer hands. So, 3rd parties will definitely bring their AAA games if the Switch was 30-40% more powerful in my opinion.

I feel like switch is a different case from the wii for a couple of reasons. I actually expect a big increase of 3rd party support next year. Call of duty at least

I would take Doom and Wolfenstein as the performance metrics for COD on Switch, it does run reasonably after all the patches but 60 fps is very hard, so a more powerful Switch would be beneficial if it can do 720p at 60 fps.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it could be like a mid-cycle revision like the 1X and Pro were. They both still run the same games but much better. Switch could benefit from that.

Yeah, this is what I expect. I just don't think the potential performance increase will necessarily attract new developers, as they'd still have to baseline for the original Switch.

Wescoast76

Tried to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Sep 22, 2018
i don't know why you guys are so aggressive about this...Switch doing 3 million in a single month is insane, and clearly eclpises any short term gains of this gen on any console, and that's pretty amazing. That's all i was commenting

I don't think you said anything wrong. Some people are just very defensive about sales data for some reason.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Why would a more powerful mid-gen Switch model increase third party support?

The games would still need to work on OG Switch. Unless you're expecting games from third parties only for Switch Pro - which would be nonsensical given it would only have a fraction of the install base of OG Switch.

Personally I think we'll see third parties with exclusive games aimed specifically at the Switch demographic, rather than just PC/XB/PS ports. Don't forget that next gen is on the horizon and the gap between even a potential Switch Pro and PS5 is going to be gigantic compared to even the existing gap. Third parties are going to be planning ahead to next gen at this point as they greenlight their future projects.

But Switch is selling incredibly well, as is the software, to the point where it is viable for third parties to greenlight Switch exclusive projects which will also have lower budgets compared to next gen stuff.

Last edited:

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You seem confident the Switch will outsell the ps4 for the year in the US. Do you think the Switch will outsell ps4 worldwide for the year?

I think Benji's only got US info, so not exactly a fair question.

We know it's kicking the crap out of PS4 in Japan, and may edge it out in the US, but I gather Sony has a stronger foothold in the rest of the world, so beating PS4 worldwide seems like a big ask.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

We know it's kicking the crap out of PS4 in Japan, and may edge it out in the US, but I gather Sony has a stronger foothold in the rest of the world, so beating PS4 worldwide seems like a big ask.
Switch should still outsell the PS4 WW going by each company's forecast, 20 million for Switch and 17.5 for PS4.

Aug 26, 2018
Why would a more powerful mid-gen Switch model increase third party support?

The games would still need to work on OG Switch. Unless you're expecting games from third parties only for Switch Pro - which would be nonsensical given it would only have a fraction of the install base of OG Switch.

Personally I think we'll see third parties with exclusive games aimed specifically at the Switch demographic, rather than just PC/XB/PS ports. Don't forget that next gen is on the horizon and the gap between even a potential Switch Pro and PS5 is going to be gigantic compared to even the existing gap. Third parties are going to be planning ahead to next gen at this point as they greenlight their future projects.

The benefits of developing with a powerful system as the base has proven beneficial ( Forza Horizon 4 as an example), so a more powerful Switch pro would atleast allow a lot of 3rd parties to get the game running at a decent clip & the base Switch would benefit too. As more games start doing it, the base Switch experience will also get better since the Devs have had more time with the machine . Even if the base Switch experience was kinda subpar, I think it would not be terrible ( Xbox One vs Xbox One X).

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017

But Sony forecast its 17.5 millions unit sold, and Nintendo its 20 M shipped. Only if one outperforms or underperforms or if many switchs stay on the shelves the sells will be identical.

Edit

If that was an official forecast made during an earning results briefing then it is indeed 17.5M shipped, not sold through.

These companies don't make forecasts in sell-through, they do forecasts in units sold to retailers.

My mistake then, so by forecasts Nintendo was a margin of 2.5 Millions. I think they will stay close but Nintendo should stay ahead

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But Sony forecast its 17.5 millions unit sold, and Nintendo its 20 M shipped. Only if one outperforms or underperforms or if many switchs stay on the shelves the sells will be identical.

If that was an official forecast made during an earning results briefing then it is indeed 17.5M shipped, not sold through.

These companies don't make forecasts in sell-through, they do forecasts in units sold to retailers.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017

My mistake then, so by forecasts Nintendo was a margin of 2.5 Millions. I think they will stay close but Nintendo should stay ahead

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like the Switch will outsell PS4 by a around a million for 2018?

I means that's what everyone was sorta predicting at the beginning of the year but it didn't look like happening for a long time.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
How many units did Switch sell in October NPD (estimate?)

So we have ~1.3m Nov and ~2.0m Dec so assuming 300-400k October, we're looking at ~3.7million million units in USA only for the past 3 months? So very likely 4 million+ if you add Canada and Mexico.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That December Nintendo bump really is crazy. They do so well that month by percentage of total sales compared to Sony and MS

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I don't want to overhype myself but if they come close to 2.5 million, damnnnnnn. I'll echo what others are saying that 2019 will be just insane. Pokémon gen 8 + animal crossing + revision + price cut could bring it up to peak DS/wii sales next Nov/Dec.

Curious how 3rd parties will respond, it's a weird time with next gen right on the horizon and big 3rd parties all gearing up for that.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those games either started development way before anyone knew switch would be successful or would require too many downgrades to work.

You need to let future announcements guide you a bit better (such as Mortal Kombat).

Cobalt? Doom Eternal? Beyond Good and Evil 2? Dying Light 2? Nioh 2?

The original comment was "Most 3rdPartys devs are already on board - EA is the only mayor exception with their lackluster support." You just hit the nail on the head, the hardware will continue to be a problem for third party support until Nintendo ever decides to release hardware comparable to Xbox and Playstation.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

The original comment was "Most 3rdPartys devs are already on board - EA is the only mayor exception with their lackluster support." You just hit the nail on the head, the hardware will continue to be a problem for third party support until Nintendo ever decides to release hardware comparable to Xbox and Playstation.
Doom Eternal is coming to Switch

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

ehrrrrrrr Doom Eternal is coming and so is Mortal kombat 11.

Nioh 2 is a ps4 exclusive Lol.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

As many have said card cost is the bigger issue compared to hardware power. Nobody is going to use a 32GB game card when they cost the publisher $20+ a piece.

And Doom Eternal is coming.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Doom is coming to switch. One of the developers of dying light 2 didn't rule out a switch port when asked

Is nioh even coming to Xbox? I thought it was a PS4/pc game.

And for beyond good and evil 2 have we even seen anything outside of some proof of concept stuff?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Media create week 52 2017 (Dec 25 - Dec 31) :

Media create week 39 2017 ( Sep 25 - Oct 01 ) :

3.312.619 - 1.784.184 : 1.528.435

So for 1 528 435 for Media create, Nintendo counted 1,77 M for Q3 shipment.

I wonder what was estimated for NPD october, november and december 2017.
I just want to compare with 2,92 M shipment for the Americas.

I dont know if last years Japan figures for sold and shipped units should be taken like baseline for something because last Q3 in Japan Switch was almost all time sold out.

Last edited:

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
As many have said card cost is the bigger issue compared to hardware power. Nobody is going to use a 32GB game card when they cost the publisher $20+ a piece.

And Doom Eternal is coming.
I've said this a thousand times over, but no one seems to listen nor do they want to believe that game card cost has been a bigger obstacle than hardware power. At least half a dozen major third-party games have been explored and considered for Switch but put on hold or canned due to game card cost.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to say anything conclusively, but Switch seems to be selling well in Mexico, could that have contributed to bigger results in December?
I would really like to know how much it has sold in Mexico so far

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I've said this a thousand times over, but no one seems to listen nor do they want to believe that game card cost has been a bigger obstacle than hardware power. At least half a dozen major third-party games have been explored and considered for Switch but put on hold or canned due to game card cost.

this is sad though......