• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3DS is a great little machine and has features Switch completely lacks: real portability and stereoscopic 3D.

I am still eagerly waiting for the 3DS 2.

You're confusing portability and pocketability. The Switch is absolutely portable. "Portable" does not mean that you can stuff it in a pocket. Same goes for portable TVs, portable speakers, etc.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3DS is a great little machine and has features Switch completely lacks: real portability and stereoscopic 3D.

I am still eagerly waiting for the 3DS 2.
I spent 5 hours at work today playing Mario Kart with my coworkers at our lunch table (inventory was happening and everyone was just hanging around). Explain how it's not portable for me.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I never thought they would go the entirety of December without any price promotions

It makes sense now

Even more so after they did the $199 for BF .
Then we saw the signs with no huge stock for BF and now no price cut for Dec.
Thing is they should still be a little over there forecast but with load of profit .

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
PS4 had probably already hit or was on pace to hit its 2018 sales goal so Sony just used December as an easy profit generator.

December 2019 should be a different story. I don't see 2019 having anything that would spike sales to ridiculous heights like Fortnite, GoW, and Spider-Man before the holidays, and I think we can see a PS4 super slim in Q3. That model should allow for a perm cut to $249 and more periods of $199 pricing.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I think Sony wants to build their VR base bigger.

Seems its doing well. It's not huge but stores are starting to run dry on stock of VR.

They did the same last year. Not much of a deal on the system but great deals on the VR. Likely wanting to attach the VR to people who bought the $200 system in NOV.
Considering PS5 is rumored to have VR built in(no camera or breakout box needed), I see this being the case. Get 5-7M this gen and get the ball rolling next.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PS4 had probably already hit or was on pace to hit its 2018 sales goal so Sony just used December as an easy profit generator.

December 2019 should be a different story. I don't see 2019 having anything that would spike sales to ridiculous heights like Fortnite, GoW, and Spider-Man before the holidays, and I think we can see a PS4 super slim in Q3. That model should allow for a perm cut to $249 and more periods of $199 pricing.
Is it a good idea to release another PS4 one year before the PS5?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The people looking to buy a hypothetical PS4 super slim at $200 aren't gonna be your day 1 next gen adopters. They're obviously way more price sensitive. You get a super slim at $199 as an extra console or something just to mess around with.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Don't see why not .
If they can get it cheaper they can sell it to the more price sensitive consumer and markets .
Plus if they make it on 7nm they can still get profit .
People spending $400 - $500 on next gen consoles not there target group for the super slim.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Walmart supercentre locally here is sold out of Switch, first time since the launch window shortages which ended around summer 2017. Switch/Nintendo section looks like a wasteland.

There's a good deal going on this week at Walmart with $50 cdn off the MSRP but if Canada's trend holds, it has to be a massive month for Switch in North America. Canada of course is excluded from NPD (US) data.

Was the same at my target all out of switch and hardly any games left. Was surprised as even after BF they had plenty of stock (of course the Mario Kart bundles sold out BF)

Where the switches used to be was a stack of playstation classics with 40% off sign.

Jun 17, 2018
Was the same at my target all out of switch and hardly any games left. Was surprised as even after BF they had plenty of stock (of course the Mario Kart bundles sold out BF)

Where the switches used to be was a stack of playstation classics with 40% off sign.
Was at my local Wal Mart this morning, both PS4 and Switch were completely gone. Only hardware were a few XB1X and GAGGLES of Playstation Classics

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The people looking to buy a hypothetical PS4 super slim at $200 aren't gonna be your day 1 next gen adopters. They're obviously way more price sensitive. You get a super slim at $199 as an extra console or something just to mess around with.
Don't see why not .
If they can get it cheaper they can sell it to the more price sensitive consumer and markets .
Plus if they make it on 7nm they can still get profit .
People spending $400 - $500 on next gen consoles not there target group for the super slim.
How many more PS4s will be sold after the PS5 is here though? Did Sony ever release new models this late into a console's life.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. An updated model as PS4 enters end of life allows for cheaper production than the current model. Also cheaper costs means more price reductions if Sony wants.

PS3 had a super slim in 2012, and Xbox 360 model E was in June 2013.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe that was true for US 2018 goals - but they were cutting prices all over the place elsewhere in December, hell even Japan finally got one this year.
But until we see shipments for Q3 2018 it's kind of arbitrary to talk about whether they hit the goals or not though.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that was true for US 2018 goals - but they were cutting prices all over the place elsewhere in December, hell even Japan finally got one this year.
But until we see shipments for Q3 2018 it's kind of arbitrary to talk about whether they hit the goals or not though.

Even then the deals were not as good as last year in some places UK for eg .

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Will be very interesting to see which console will be the best selling console YTD in the end. PS4 and Switch are basically neck in neck for worldwide.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
What are you talking about? Read the OP, it says Switch won by revenue, and we know Ps4 won by units. How is it console warrioring to point out facts?
the quality of console warrioring is at an all-time low, and i expect it to continue the downward spiral into uninspired meaninglessness. it's making my heart bleed to see this formally so sophisticated and witty art form dragged down into the mud where it can only barf out a few half-motivated comments, more a reflex of former grandezza than actual functional work of brain cells.

like other honourable, traditional craftsmanships, such as typesetter, candle drawer, horse inseminator or body-stripper, the profession of console warrior is highly endangered and already on the short-list for the unesco cultural heritage preservation. at the end of a generation, where not only all claims are cemented and everyone found his niche, but also everyone is constantly winning and suits from all companies are all sweaty and excited from the constant group hugging, war is over. john lennon was right. even if the song is unbearable.

hopefully, we can keep this state of harmony throughout next gen's launch, because it would be a tragedy (and also a bad example for the youth of the world) if the industry slaughtered this omnipresent aura on the altar of shareholder value.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
the quality of console warrioring is at an all-time low, and i expect it to continue the downward spiral into uninspired meaninglessness. it's making my heart bleed to see this formally so sophisticated and witty art form dragged down into the mud where it can only barf out a few half-motivated comments, more a reflex of former grandezza than actual functional work of brain cells.

like other honourable, traditional craftsmanships, such as typesetter, candle drawer, horse inseminator or body-stripper, the profession of console warrior is highly endangered and already on the short-list for the unesco cultural heritage preservation. at the end of a generation, where not only all claims are cemented and everyone found his niche, but also everyone is constantly winning and suits from all companies are all sweaty and excited from the constant group hugging, war is over. john lennon was right. even if the song is unbearable.

hopefully, we can keep this state of harmony throughout next gen's launch, because it would be a tragedy (and also a bad example for the youth of the world) if the industry slaughtered this omnipresent aura on the altar of shareholder value.
start a message board lol

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see some people realizing that unit sales are not the only goal a company can have and that they are not the only metric worth watching.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

When slavesnyder dedicates a post to you on Era you've peaked

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
I'm only talking about US sales (sell through) unless stated otherwise.

Just me, but I think Sony weren't expecting another +5M year in the US given their original FY projections. They are guaranteed to sell hundreds of thousands of PS4's in December without price promotions so Sony must see no business reason to price drop.

Black Knight

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Excellent sales for everyone! I'm really happy that the industry is doing very well!

RDR2 the best selling game of the month which isn't surprising, let's see how SSBU will affect the results in the next NPD

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Out of curiosity, do we have 2018 worldwide numbers for PS4, Switch and One? Bummer we don't have worldwide sales threads.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Is there not a single site/company with estimates? Would be a market gap, no? Sorry, but I'm a complete noob in this regard.

Sure, but they're just guessing.
Why not wait for official figures from the platformholder themselves?
You'll find topics here on this forum about it. And a lot of people also make nice graphs to compare them.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Do we know how the 3DS is selling? I visited the same store I did on Saturday and now the 3DS case is a ghost town, too. The Switch case is still just as empty, only difference now is that even more games are sold out (I did not see Mario Kart in stock at all). Thing looks like a disaster area because of all the empty shelf space.
I didn't take a picture of it but my local GameStop is a wasteland for switch stuff too. Only things left are some display boxes and a small handful of fishing games.