• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
I think Nintendo is going to win this gen by the end of it.

1 Switch
2 ps4
3 Xbone
32409.jpg

you can't see shit.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think every Switch will be able to play all games of former Switch models, because quite frankly, why drop them if you use the Tegra-Line anyway? It is not like they wouldn't easily run.

True, they should all be permanently BC with all past Switch models. I guess the forward compatibility is what will only be ensured for the next model.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Those expert analysts saying Switch lost momentum and need to be priced $200 are going to look silly, isn't it?
I'm really curious to see how it's going to be.

Oct 27, 2017
So it sounds like there's a possibility the undisputed leader this gen comes third in Nov+Dec sales? What a weird generation.

How is it weird? The leader of the generation is still going to be the leader of the generation whether Nintendo outsells them for the calendar year or not. Sony knew this was going to happen back when they revised their forecasts earlier in the year and once again when they had the investor call for the quarter when they basically said they aren't doing any crazy holiday deals because the PS4 was selling better than they thought. Combine that with a decrease YoY towards the end of the generation and you can see Sony is in Maximum Profits Mode.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I remember when Benji thought Sony were trolling with the forecast but now it all makes sense.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask...Do we know what the percentage of sales for each console are by region?

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
IT really is a shame PS4 isn't $199 yet. I mean its price hasn't really changed since launch which is hilarious.

If it was $199 it would be doing PS1/PS2 levels in Dec.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
How much each region represents the total sales for each console. For example (Obviously not accurate): PS4: NA-40%, EU-35, JP-10%, Other-15%

For switch as of september
Japan: 24%
The America's: 40%
Europe + Other: 36%

It's really hard to find numbers for PS4 and especially for XB1. I vaguely remember PS4 having ~27 million in the US, it's over 7 million in japan, and 89(?) worldwide. I'd say over 30 million Europe and then another 20+ million elsewhere? No idea really but it'd be great to know if anyone does.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Right, but over 5 years. I'm not sure the Switch will have 3 models over 5 years. I think it's going to be one revision every 3 years, with the previous model dropping in price each time a revision releases.

... that's what I actually said in that post. I expect the Switch to get iterative upgrades in lieu of actual generational successors, like smartphones. Possibly every 3 years. Each one backwards compatible and forwards compatible with its neighboring model, so that each one effectively has a 6 year span of software support.

I have no idea if this is what they're gonna do but this is what I think they should do. The only issue is that it'll make lifetime sales comparisons tricky.

Hmm, yeah that could be the case, but I think they will have multiple Switch devices in a few years.

1) SCD (supplemental computing device) acing as a 4k console unit and offers online subscribers supplemental computing services
2) Hybrid model like the current Switch
3) handheld clamshell design unit for more portability and a cheaper price

I think they will iterate a different model every year so that every device gets a refresh every three years. It will keep the excitement going and will be crucial with their goal of one Switch per person.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
You can find this data in the Nintendo quarterly reports.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/181030e.pdf

Last page

Thanks! Will take a look.

For switch as of september
Japan: 24%
The America's: 40%
Europe + Other: 36%

It's really hard to find numbers for PS4 and especially for XB1. I vaguely remember PS4 having ~27 million in the US, it's over 7 million in japan, and 89(?) worldwide. I'd say over 30 million Europe and then another 20+ million elsewhere? No idea really but it'd be great to know if anyone does.

Thanks! Is those Switch percentages LTD, specific quarter, etc...?

That seems higher than expected for "The America's" for Switch. I'm probably not giving enough credit to sales outside of the US when considering the America's though.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Thanks! Will take a look.

Thanks! Is those Switch percentages LTD, specific quarter, etc...?

That seems higher than expected for "The America's" for Switch. I'm probably not giving enough credit to sales outside of the US when considering the America's though.
It's for the LTD as of September, yes :)

And yeah US is very very strong for switch but The Americas does include multiple other regions (like Canada) that account for a notable amount of sales.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, yeah that could be the case, but I think they will have multiple Switch devices in a few years.

1) SCD (supplemental computing device) acing as a 4k console unit and offers online subscribers supplemental computing services
2) Hybrid model like the current Switch
3) handheld clamshell design unit for more portability and a cheaper price

I think they will iterate a different model every year so that every device gets a refresh every three years. It will keep the excitement going and will be crucial with their goal of one Switch per person.

If they have competent enough marketing and messaging (which I am not at all confident in) then something like that could work. But I think it's much simpler and more logical to offer upgrades like smartphones do since the market has been trained to accept and understand upgrades like that, rather than the sort of modular/side model family of systems that you're describing.

I also think there is really no need for a "handheld only" or "console only" variant because the market has overwhelmingly accepted this current form factor to act as both. The only thing stopping it from reaching the same market as the 3DS family is the price IMO.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
These switches being sold are all full MSRP no packaged game right? I believe in US MK8 bundle was limited around BF...

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I never thought they would go the entirety of December without any price promotions
I joked back then that they moved promotions across continents but that's exactly what happened. December has/had more deals in EU than US BF this year. And I'd say that is still rather relevant to their shipment projections.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
IIRC they come with a $25 gift card at most retailers but yeah besides that this is MSRP. They still have a number of bundles I think but those are still full price ($299 + $59).

Oh very smart. Incredible how well switch is doing against $199 deals from Microsoft (and at times sony). And the gift card likely spent on a game and its less than half of the price of evergreens

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reggie is now waiting for people to spend their gift cards on a Switch or return Christmas gifts to get a Switch instead.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
From Media Create Japan thread credible poster

"[NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ranked in 1st place for 3 consecutive weeks. With Christmas demand, its sales have been bigger than its second week "

Is smash interest the same in USA or more a japanese thing?' Prior two weeks were 1.6 million first week to 400K the second. Both weeks saw h/w 280K (before the typical was 50K per week)

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

"[NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ranked in 1st place for 3 consecutive weeks. With Christmas demand, its sales have been bigger than its second week "

Is smash interest the same in USA or more a japanese thing?' Prior two weeks were 1.6 million first week to 400K the second. Both weeks saw h/w 280K (before the typical was 50K per week)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...on-in-the-us-smash-3m-botw-4m-smo-4-7m.87800/

Not just a japanese thing, never was.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

That report above is from one retailer, Geo. It probably will be roughly true for the whole country as well, but we can't confirm that until Media-Create comes out tomorrow.

Also, Smash sold 1.2-1.3 million first week and an additional 400k the second week, so it is around 1.6 million before the third week in Japan. US it sold 3 million in 11 days.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask...Do we know what the percentage of sales for each console are by region?
That should be in the investor relations financial reports for Sony and Nintendo. MS doesn't release figures afaik, since it became clear XB1 was struggling a few years ago. Just Google for "[company name] investor relations" and look for the latest quarterly report.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Gift card is a win win. Store lock in those dollars and I doubt it actually cost Nintendo $25 to run that promo as Stores would likely give them a small discount for guaranteed in store spend.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how the 3DS is selling? I visited the same store I did on Saturday and now the 3DS case is a ghost town, too. The Switch case is still just as empty, only difference now is that even more games are sold out (I did not see Mario Kart in stock at all). Thing looks like a disaster area because of all the empty shelf space.

Dropped by my local target today and the Switch section was lookin sorta lonely

4GWS4DC.jpg

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think 3DS had a great holiday and im sure its way down YoY.

I made the stupid mistake of going to the Nintendo Store last night. Hoo boy. It was a shit show. Crazy lines. Could barely move.

I figured it'd be a great time to get some streetpasses since it used to max out when I'd go there, but it's been a while since I did that. I got 4 last night. 4. Hundreds of people passed me in the store and surrounding Rockefeller center. 4. And it was probably just the employees.

It might be dead.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Still playing my 3DS over here. Love the portability of this machine. I find Switch a little too big for carrying around.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
3DS is a great little machine and has features Switch completely lacks: real portability and stereoscopic 3D.

I am still eagerly waiting for the 3DS 2.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That didn't stop Nintendo from giving 3DS the REAL support like a Mario and Luigi remake or.. uh...

/s

It makes sense to continue to release a handful of relatively low-effort ports/remasters until Switch is $199. Having a super affordable Nintendo platform on the market is certainly a smart move.

But 3DS is still dead.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3DS being as strong as it has been this year is a Pokemon fueled miracle in itself.

Gen 7 Pokemon was absolutely huge. Gen 8 on Switch might match it or even surpass it in revenue (likely) or even units sold but for sheer impact and sustainability I find the Sun/Moon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon games fascinating.. As a gen its more than 2 years old yet we're still seeing its impact on both software and hardware to this day as you say, and on a platform most of the gaming world has moved on from it's quite a feat.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense to continue to release a handful of relatively low-effort ports/remasters until Switch is $199. Having a super affordable Nintendo platform on the market is certainly a smart move.

But 3DS is still dead.

Yup I agree. It's an attractive legacy device because of the entry price and enormous library, but it's definitely dead.

That doesn't stop some people here from acting like it's sucking away all support from the Switch though.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I made the stupid mistake of going to the Nintendo Store last night. Hoo boy. It was a shit show. Crazy lines. Could barely move.

I figured it'd be a great time to get some streetpasses since it used to max out when I'd go there, but it's been a while since I did that. I got 4 last night. 4. Hundreds of people passed me in the store and surrounding Rockefeller center. 4. And it was probably just the employees.

It might be dead.

Switch is still flying off shelves? Man, that December in US.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Walmart supercentre locally here is sold out of Switch, first time since the launch window shortages which ended around summer 2017. Switch/Nintendo section looks like a wasteland.

There's a good deal going on this week at Walmart with $50 cdn off the MSRP but if Canada's trend holds, it has to be a massive month for Switch in North America. Canada of course is excluded from NPD (US) data.