• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'll probably end up being proven wrong. But I think it's unlikely we'll ever see a 2m+ December again.
Don't disagree with the second line though.
I'm curious why you think it'd be an unlikelihood to ever happen again. 2M is a big number for sure, but Switch came within 400k of it last year and this year is looking much bigger. More generally, what makes you think a 2M December is no longer reasonable for any system?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I'll probably end up being proven wrong. But I think it's unlikely we'll ever see a 2m+ December again.

If Switch this December do around 2m, I dont see why they couldnt at least again around 2m next year with when we will have most likely revision, price cut and plenty of strong title leading to December.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Hello ZhugeEX,

Can you explain why you think why you believe a 2 million December milestone for game systems will not be reached again?

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
To answer the above. It's mainly because of how holiday sales keep shifting more and more to November.

I think Switch combined sales for Nov+Dec will be strong.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose it's because the increasing importance of November (Black Friday week) sales that "steal" potential purchases to December like we saw with XBO and PS4 during the whole generation (to the point that last year November was the biggest month of the year for Sony and Microsoft).
Nintendo and Switch are a bit different though.
Nintendo has a strong presence in December due to their family friendly attitude and Switch got a deal this year for BF but Switch+MK8 at the console MSRP is hardly earth shattering.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
To answer the above. It's mainly because of how holiday sales keep shifting more and more to November.

A fair point but I think it is essentially true for platforms that did significant discounts for BF, like the PS4 and the X1 these past years.

Last year, the Switch didn't have any special deals for BF and managed a Nintendo-like 100% growth MoM.

Therefore I would say that it is (almost) impossible if you make deep price cuts during BF.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Is the same true for Nintendo hardware in your estimation? I remember that 3ds sold about 750k last year in December despite being on its last legs, and Switch last year wasn't too bad, either.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that's more of just a general market trend (not even limited to video games) over the years rather than an evaluation of the varying factors at play for this specific holiday shopping period as it pertains to the Switch. despite the general trend of sales to November Nintendo as a company is typically stronger than most, proportionately speaking, in December. couple that with Smash's launch and where Switch is at as a product and it doesn't seem unreasonable at all when certain insights are shared about Switch having a strong December

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I can understand there are doubts for a 3 million December, not this year, but in general.

Doubts for a 2 million December? Can't understand why and how. It is obvius that for Nintendo, the trend of November being almost the same as big as December isn't there yet, unlike Sony and Microsoft.

But even if it was, we saw November/December this generation being >1.5 million for PS4, one time even for XB1. There is no reason to believe is impossible to ever see a 2 million December for a console in a particular situation in a particular year.

PS4 for example already has the potential, is just limited by Sony, and i'm not gonna talk about the reasons or whatever, i'm saying that IF SONY WANT, it could easy sell 2 million PS4 in a December.

And we are likely gonna see Nintendo do that as well this year and next year.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Funny piece of trivia :

Every console that crossed 1.9m for the first time in December sold even more the year after that (PS1, PS2, Wii).

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I missed thwat. Why XBO ahead of PS4? Were there promotional deals or are we still seeing PS4 stock shortages?
For the whole december: PS4 at $299 vs XB1 at $249 the first week or so then at $199 since then. According to Benji Sony don't do any deals this year cause they don't have enough stocks and basically sell at full price everything they ship.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the whole december: PS4 at $299 vs XB1 at $199. According to Benji Sony don't do any deals this year cause they don't have enough stocks and basically sell at full price everything they ship.

They don't do any deals this year? The best deal by far was the deal last month, the Spiderman bundle for $199.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yea, Cyber Monday not being part of December this year makes me think Nintendo just misses 2 million in December.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017

That makes sense. In nearly all scenarios, I believe that would be the case. I also believe the launch of Smash Ultimate, however, will disrupt that trend for this year. It has the potential to break the record for the highest launch month of a game in the US by a considerate margin. Such a high-profile game would usually be released before BF, so this will result to unusual December hardware sales.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think Sony wants to build their VR base bigger.

Seems its doing well. It's not huge but stores are starting to run dry on stock of VR.

They did the same last year. Not much of a deal on the system but great deals on the VR. Likely wanting to attach the VR to people who bought the $200 system in NOV.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

The problem I have with stats like these are that they're rarely brought up in conjunction with overall videogame hardware sales. Like PS2 lifetime sales. Wildly impressive, but the actual total system sales was far lower that gen compared with the next. So was it that the PS2 was truly the greatest, or was it the only system the majority of consumers even thought about at that time when it came to consoles?

....I'm not downplaying the PS2, just using it as an example of what I'm talking about.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
The problem I have with stats like these are that they're rarely brought up in conjunction with overall videogame hardware sales. Like PS2 lifetime sales. Wildly impressive, but the actual total system sales was far lower that gen compared with the next. So was it that the PS2 was truly the greatest, or was it the only system the majority of consumers even thought about at that time when it came to consoles?

....I'm not downplaying the PS2, just using it as an example of what I'm talking about.
Gen 7 was an outlier, though. I don't think we'll see another generation (or say, 7-8 year timespan if generations are a thing of the past) with that many systems sold in a long time. The current generation of consoles (excluding Switch) seems to be trending towards a similar final tally as the 6th gen.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We gotta remember the last time we had a successful Nintendo console in the West (at least to this level) was the Wii, so it's hard to judge if the industry wide trend towards November instead of December applies to Nintendo too, since we haven't even had a chance to see a December like this for them in a long time.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean 2 million for sure isnt locked. Switch could hit a bit below that

But if it misses it wont be by much that's for sure

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Switch was at what, 1.5m last year? This year they are running a small discount plus they have the momentum and mindshare that comes with the launch of Smash. They don't have Cyber Monday though. I'm still expecting it crosses 2m but it may depend on how sales continue in the final week or so of the month.

Jun 17, 2018
]
gKcwBW5.png
PS1, PS2, and Wii were just beasts geez.

For Switch this year I'm thinking around PS1 1997 and Wii 2008 numbers, Switch just seems so much more on people's minds this Christmas than last.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it sounds like there's a possibility the undisputed leader this gen comes third in Nov+Dec sales? What a weird generation.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Sony really should have kept that $199 Spidey bundle going in Dec.

At this point in the systems lifetime I think they are putting profitability over units. That said, I don't know why they went $200 with Spiderman. They could have gone $200 with just the system and sold a ton of units either way.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point in the systems lifetime I think they are putting profitability over units. That said, I don't know why they went $200 with Spiderman. They could have gone $200 with just the system and sold a ton of units either way.
Right, 100M+ is guaranteed, so they would just be reaching that milestone faster if they sold more now. Since they will be reaching that milestone regardless, they might as well do it slower and get more money on each unit on top of the potential software gains.

I think they should bundle a $299 PS4 with Spider-Man starting early next year and make it the main SKU.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think Nintendo is going to win this gen by the end of it.

1 Switch
2 ps4
3 Xbone

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo is going to win this gen by the end of it.

1 Switch
2 ps4
3 Xbone

I agree, but that's because I think the Switch will be an iterative platform that lasts 10-15 years or more so the Switch family will correspond to maybe 2-3 gens of the other platforms.

I don't see this Switch model selling more than the PS4 simply because I don't think it'll be sold for a long enough period.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I agree, but that's because I think the Switch will be an iterative platform that lasts 10-15 years or more so the Switch family will correspond to maybe 2-3 gens of the other platforms.

I don't see this Switch model selling more than the PS4 simply because I don't think it'll be sold for a long enough period.

well Ps4 sold 90m with 3 models

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

There is no universe Switch remains as is for 15 years.

Jan 1, 2018
Switch as an iterative has become a popular idea on these forums. It refers to the switch running a lifetime more resembling iPhones wherein you have the Switch, Switch 2, 3, etc and games being made with a minimum target, and all above versions of the console being compatible with these games. It would not be "remaining as is for 15 years".

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Switch as an iterative has become a popular idea on these forums. It refers to the switch running a lifetime more resembling iPhones wherein you have the Switch, Switch 2, 3, etc and games being made with a minimum target, and all above versions of the console being compatible with these games. It would not be "remaining as is for 15 years".

This is likely where the other consoles are going as well. The era of custom GPU/CPUs being built each generation is over. Console manufacters will piggy back off existing work from AMD/nvidia and put a new spin on tech by emphasizing or deemphasizing certain aspects of the chipset.

It simply makes more sense and it keeps comparability there as well as makes porting titles easier.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
Please can you elaborate on your reasons behind each of the numbers? Intrigued.
According to Benji Switch is doing huge, so even though i don't think it will hit 2 million, i think it will be close.
Xbone will be almost flat from November due to the $199 offer.
PS4 will face a huge down MOM without any promotions.
Seems like he just counted the number of > in Benji's post and thought every single one means 100k.
So, you really are mad lol! Is it because i don't think Switch will hit 2 million? Don't worry 1.8 million is still huge...and it still has a chance to hit 2 million, it's ok. It's called predictions, that's all.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
well Ps4 sold 90m with 3 models

Right, but over 5 years. I'm not sure the Switch will have 3 models over 5 years. I think it's going to be one revision every 3 years, with the previous model dropping in price each time a revision releases.

... that's what I actually said in that post. I expect the Switch to get iterative upgrades in lieu of actual generational successors, like smartphones. Possibly every 3 years. Each one backwards compatible and forwards compatible with its neighboring model, so that each one effectively has a 6 year span of software support.

I have no idea if this is what they're gonna do but this is what I think they should do. The only issue is that it'll make lifetime sales comparisons tricky.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
... that's what I actually said in that post. I expect the Switch to get iterative upgrades in lieu of actual generational successors, like smartphones. Possibly every 3 years. Each one backwards compatible and forwards compatible with its neighboring model, so that each one effectively has a 6 year span of software support.

I have no idea if this is what they're gonna do but this is what I think they should do. The only issue is that it'll make lifetime sales comparisons tricky.

I think every Switch will be able to play all games of former Switch models, because quite frankly, why drop them if you use the Tegra-Line anyway? It is not like they wouldn't easily run.