• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017
I wonder where the shortages will hit if they do. Maybe smaller U.S. markets? The NYC area is still well stocked, despite the Switch anecdotally selling like gangbusters. The Best Buy I was at in Brooklyn yesterday had them piled to the ceiling behind the counter, but also dozens of them waiting to be picked up from online orders and quite a few people on a very long line waiting to pay for them. I'm curious to see if there are software shortages because of the high number of units sold.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2.5M was always a dream highest possible scenario but as long as it hits above 2M it'll be a pretty good December. The fact that it might hit shortages is always a good sign as well.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I live in the Bay Area and the Targets around me have been out or low on Switch stock this week. Today I even was at one that was ~50% out of stock on games. They had to tell someone they had 0 MK8's in stock.

oracion

Jan 7, 2018
Tokyo
When is the last time any console sold >2m?
6siyqci.png

gKcwBW5.png

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is just that the last three weeks were so big nobody could prepare for it. Especially thanks to these news:

All love to Benji , but that's not news. Of course Switch had its biggest week since launch during the biggest sales week of the year. This is only its second holiday, if it wasn't beating last year that'd be news.

The real question is whether Super Saturday pushed them over launch. If not, then we could say for sure that they were under a million units for the week.

Hmm, still seems doable, considering the PS4 had basically nothing going for it in the holiday while Switch is selling far outside of any expectations.

Worldwide number will be harder tho.
In the US Switch will almost certainly outsell PS4 for the year, just not by an enormous margin.

Oct 25, 2017
Man we really are getting CoD games for all of eternity aren't we? BO4 crushing it.

Glad to see all the platform holders doing well. I was responsible for one of those Xbox's!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
All love to Benji , but that's not news. Of course Switch had its biggest week since launch during the biggest sales week of the year. This is only its second holiday, if it wasn't beating last year that'd be news.

The real question is whether Super Saturday pushed them over launch. If not, then we could say for sure that they were under a million units for the week.

Someone a few pages back (or in one of the other threads) said that there Switch only sold something like 600k in it's US launch week due to the bad shortages, which would probably be even less than they did this past Black Friday (PR suggested about 800k but that was including CM so who knows). I don't know if we had official word about the launch week though so I can't say if that was accurate.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

I disagree.
We already have a good idea on what will happen this December (who will be down and who will be up compared last year and maybe who will be more or less flat).
The most interesting unknown is how high Switch can go.
Of course all Benji does is to give some hints and should be consider as such.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Are any of the big 3rd party franchises out on Switch though???
I think a poor version of Fifa is the only one. It's expected as Nintendo's own software is the main driver on Switch

Yeah, EA did produce nothing except rubbish by now (even tho they only produced rubbish the whole year for anything anyway (B5)), plus you can only have fun with their game if you invest heavily in microtransactions and lootboxes plus new releases are very stale compared to old ones. From this whole AAA industry nothing interests me at all, as it is just predatory and is trying to squeeze every little penny out of you.

Nintendo, please bring out Mario Football, that would fit the Switch perfectly.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Worldwide number will be harder tho.
Well Nintendo forecast is 2.5M more than Sony's for FY 2018.

If we're just talking Q3 - that may be a bit more interesting depending on what Sony is willing to ship.
Last 2 were 9.7 and 9 for PS4 - and with US looking flat, EU could even nudge it over 2017 (199/299 PS4/PROs this December).

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But angry people on the internet tell me in YouTube comments to my monthly summary that my prediction that Switch will lead the market in 2018 is "spreading lies and propaganda"

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
But angry people on the internet tell me in YouTube comments to my monthly summary that my prediction that Switch will lead the market in 2018 is "spreading lies and propaganda"

Could have been a really close year if Sony did not pull back .
Which would have been fun in it's own way with comments that would have come from that lol.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't believe the Switch sales hype until I started asking friends what they were getting for their kids, and nearly every one said a Switch. And they're not "gamers".

Also, it's been the busiest aisle at Best Buy and Target the last few times I've been there.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Next time just point them to Sony/Nintendo's own forecasts :P I mean they should take it up with the manufacturers if they think sales are going the wrong way.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017

Do not believe one word they write. Just say what you always report , the data you receive.

Thank you to be here and Twitter and youtube.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is very likely to do 2+ million this month now

Biggest December for a piece of hardware this generation coming

Oct 27, 2017
Man, if there is a revision of the Switch next year and the base model gets a price drop, add in Pokemon that holiday season and this thing is going to gooo

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the concept of artificial shortages works again after all /s

That could be a problem for Week 52. But it tells me that Week 51 really did kill any expectations possible. That 1 million week seems to be true.

Depends on the state? I just walked into BestBuy yesterday and the middle aisle is pretty much packed with Switch not to mention the Switch section as well. Pretty good though that they are pushing Switch to be the "gift of the holiday."