• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Monthly sales are down YoY--though whether 13% is "sharply" could be debated--but you're wrong about YTD. The PS4 is up over 2017 through November, and most likely will end the year that way.
I hope I am wrong. It was said by Beji:

2018 will be a down year for Sony. They shipped 19 million units in 2017. That's not happening this year

Yes, he talked about WW shipments, but I doubt it will be very different. When he said that, I thought he was wrong, but now, after this NPD result... I don't know, but it's seems possible to me, if not likely.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's with all the Diablo 3 interest this month when it launched on Switch in last month's reporting and charted?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I... uh... I don't know how to respond to this in any manner that doesn't make it sound like I'm patronizing you, but think about it just a little bit, you don't even need to overthink it or anything. You're asking what'd happen if they didn't have a deal during the one month where people expect big deals. You can arrive at the answer by yourself, come on.
not very frequently, but I do wonder about some of the takes and illogical conclusions we see all the time.
like, do they do the same at their 9-5 jobs lol? If you're a consultant for instance do they do the same weird hottakes.
or are they normally reasonable in logic, and it's just console war type stuff that leads to these dumb comments. For once, hopefully it is console wars.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Best hardware for November. If something's missing (like an unknown PSone performance) feel free to fill the gap !

* Wii (November 2008 with 2,04 million)
* Xbox 360 (November 2011 with 1,70 million)
* PlayStation 4 (November 2017 with 1,69 million)
* PlayStation 4 (November 2015 with 1,54 million)
* PlayStation 4 (November 2018 with 1,48 million)
It misses a few DS's November.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's with all the Diablo 3 interest this month when it launched on Switch in last month's reporting and charted?
Wild guess: I think people are wondering about physical sales because the game seems to be doing well on the US eShop recently (has been #2 for a few days now, although I guess it just dropped to #3 recently.)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
This Black Firday. I bought a game for every console.

3 games for myself and 2 for my cousin. Only spent about 8
Probably the E-shop rankings it's had. And that really cheap Black Firday mistake sale by Wal-Mart.

Other then that. I don' know.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo joining the digital panel would indeed be amazing. Hope they realize it would be a benefit to them.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I love both CIV and Diablo, so I am looking forward for more on switch. I mean, I will still buy the PC version, but along with PC a switch version is great and day 1 for me.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
VR remain really niche. Discounts did lift units but not to a degree that would be considered any sort of major performance.

That said I know first hand VR doesnt actually cost Sony that much in terms of investment and internally its seen as a sort of passion project. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

But yeah its certainly not any sort of breakout mainstream performance. It's more a small, dedicated community
Well even doubling sells would remain a niche product. It won't be mainstream anytime soon but I could see it become a slow constant burner.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone joining the DLP agrees to share data back to Jan 2012. So yeah, big restatement were that to happen.

What do you mean by almost a different game?

Its definitely civ, but I find myself playing it differently on switch than PC. Hard to explain, but in my head they're almost different experiences?

Well even doubling sells would remain a niche product. It won't be mainstream anytime soon but I could see it become a slow constant burner.

I dont see how it stops being niche tbh, not unless we start seeing exponential growth... and that's not super likely. Maybe next gen.

Last edited:

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone joining the DLP agrees to share data back to Jan 2012. So yeah, big restatement were that to happen.

Its definitely civ, but I find myself playing it differently on switch than PC. Hard to explain, but in my head they're almost different experiences?

I dont see how it stops being niche tbh, not unless we start seeing exponential growth... and that's not super likely. Maybe next gen.
Oh, ok. I understand what you mean. I thought the game itself had significant differences somehow.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

Do you all think a wireless VR Headset would boost PS VR further or is it's current performance so far past everything else already as good as you think it gets?

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I almost can't believe that the Xbox one is doing so well in NA
It shouldn't be hard to believe, because it's doing basically no different than it ever has. PS4 has always had a minor lead overall in the US. The only exception was at the start of the gen, when during 2014 PS4 opened up a 30% lead. But that's easiest when LTD totals are still low, and the end of that year Xbox One pushed the lead back down to ~10%, establishing their pattern of middling years with good holidays. This means there's been some seesawing, but gradually PS4 has pushed further and further ahead. They finished 2015 with an 11.5% lead, ended 2016 ahead by 12.1%, 2017 by 14.7%, and 2018 likely around 15%. In other words, they're still making the gap bigger, not just in absolute units but by percentage as well.

Xbox One X has been a big success for Microsoft, but not because it's somehow reversed or even arrested the sales trends. There's been a slight change to the status quo, but not much. Xbox's "momentum" year is going to be the platform's second-worst in terms of being outsold on units. It's going to be their third-worst (or third-best, if you prefer) in terms of being outsold by percentage. One X has been much more valuable for brand engagement purposes, and for bolstering a hardware revenue stream they've had to constantly hobble with deals and cuts.

Kinect came out around the equivalent timeframe, right?
As mentioned, Kinect was "last month" launch-aligned. It's part of the reason why this is the first November where Xbox One is below 360 launch-aligned. (The other factor is Xbox 360 S, which launched "six months ago" in the aligned reference frame.)

I think PS4 will fall behind X360 in 2020.
Pretty likely, but not guaranteed. PS4 has indeed started lagging 360 "now that" the 360 S has been released. But it had built a very large lead--about 4.5m--and eroding that will still take a while. For example, if PS4 is down YoY by 15% in 2019, and then down another 15% from there the following year, the 360 still doesn't pass it until mid-December 2020. The presumed announcement of PS5 sometime earlier in the year will cause a dip in PS4 sales, so the crossover would occur a couple months earlier...but still basically as the generation ends. In the chance--not likely but not impossible--that a permanent PS4 pricecut next year stems the dropoff to only 10% each year (i.e. 5m in 2019 and 4.5m in 2020), then 360 wouldn't pass PS4 until 2021.

Yes, he talked about WW shipments, but I doubt it will be very different. When he said that, I thought he was wrong, but now, after this NPD result... I don't know, but it's seems possible to me, if not likely.
Worldwide sell-in and US sell-through do not move in lockstep, and there was no reason to disbelieve Benji ; he was just stating publicly available info. For the first nine months of 2018, PS4 shipments were 800k behind 2017. Given that Sony are projecting lower FY shipments, we can assume this quarter will be down too. So PS4 worldwide shipments being lower in 2018 is pretty much assured, and has been for a while.

But it's quite possible US sales to customers will be up in 2018. The platform has been up YTD since April, and Sony only need to sell 940k in December to end the year that way. Even if they miss this result, it will likely not be by a large margin. Either way they'd still be posting one of the best fifth years ever, generally in line with PS2. (They're not having a renaissance like the 360 did, though.)

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
MatPiscatella When someone joins the digital panel, do they give the total sold for titles before January 2012 or is that month treated as Month 1?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

I know people mentioned a couple of things like eShop rankings and Wal Mart price but I also think 3rd Parties on Switch in general draw a lot of attention on how they are doing. The narrative for a long time has been that 3rd Parties, especially Western 3rd Parties, struggle on Nintendo hardware, which leads to questions on most major releases.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would technically be Switch+Mobile vs Wii+DS.
Not when I'm asking about the traditional space. And certainly not considering Nintendo's own talk of consolidation and how they believe the mobile market is separate, a third pillar, a gateway to purchasing traditional hardware, etc.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Well for one there'd need to be mainstream marketing spend associated with. But at least back in 2015-16, none of the major VR makers saw this as anything other than a niche for foreseeable future, so their investment has been proportional.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
It's below month 2 Black Ops 4 and RDR2.

Also positions only give relative data to other games. #1 can sell $130,000,000, #2 $120,000,000 and #3 $50,000,000.
If you combine Pikachi and Evee, Pokémon Let's Go would be number 3. And we know that Let's Go did 1.5M (with digital and bundles, but before the end of the month).

NPD ranking is based on dollars, but Battlefield V and Fallout 76 are probably between 750k and 1.5M units sold. I think it's good for both. It could have been better, of course, but it's not really bad.