• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Accessories and Game Card spending hits an all time high: Total spending on Accessories and Game Cards grew 35 percent in November 2018 when compared to a year ago, to an all-time high of $503 million. Year to date, Accessories and Game Card spending has grown 35 percent when compared to a year ago, to $3.5 billion. This is also an all-time high.

I wonder how much of this was due to the PSVR. Anyone? Anyone? MatPiscatella? Bueller? Bueller?

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Eh doesn't really matter if its Xbox, pickles or dog food, just because something grew at a particular rate in history doesn't mean it should be expected to continue to do so.

To be fair, that was under leadership that saw Xbox as so much more than an Xbox and had it's hooks deep into the idea that it would be a focal point of an entertainment system. And when I say to be fair, I say that knowing they were so very wrong and out of touch with the market and holy shit it's so nice to have Phil Spencer in the position he is in.

Oct 27, 2017
That quote is for all consoles not just for Xbox. Come on.

Still way off and he sounds like he doesn't have a clue.
Last gen ended up at roughly 250m - 270m console sales (Wii, 360, PS3)not counting handhelds.
This gen will most likely end up at 270m-340m. And a lot from that growth will come from the Switch being bought in Japan because it's a portable system. So 1 billion or even above 400m sounds stupid no matter how you spin it.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
The first 400 million expectation was for all consoles, sure. But how is the rest of the range from 400 million to upwards of 1 billion talking about anything else than Xbox One?
"We think you can go broader than a game console, that's our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units. That's how we're thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward."
Total number of consoles sold for all of last gen wii, 360, ps3, other devices - 400 million. Hopeful expectation of all current gen consoles and console like devices 1 billion. People are reaching when they think MS is just talking about Xbox One reaching 1 billion units in sales. Kinda stupid to be honest.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Total number of consoles sold for all of last gen wii, 360, ps3, other devices - 400 million. Hopeful expectation of all current gen consoles and console like devices 1 billion. People are reaching when they think MS is just talking about Xbox One reaching 1 billion units in sales. Kinda stupid to be honest.
No, 300 million was his last gen number. The second part of your post suggests that you should re-read my post.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Some people are taking that billion comment too literally. He wasn't giving financial guidance for the division. He was basically saying, "Gaming is huge. It's forecast to grow strongly. We think it can grow even more."

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I'm surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be, that Fallout 76 charted so well. Did the early discounts help? Or is Fallout just being Fallout and selling well, despite the quality of the product?

There was no day 1 reviews, so a bunch of the sales will have been pre-orders that had no real idea that the game would be that bad. Also the gap from #2 to #3/#4 is probably very big, so chart position does not mean big sales relative to expectation. I think there was already a very big difference between the Fallout 4 launch and the New Vegas launch and it says that 76 launch is below New Vegas. So if their expectation was to launch in similar size as F4 this launch is far from it.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
That sure is one expectation...

Yikes.

To be fair basically every article and comment on the internet misrepresents what was said and especially what he meant to say.
So unless you assume Yusuf Mehdi said, with at straight face, Microsoft is aiming to get 100% market share of the total extended multi console owner market, he did not say nor expected to sell 1 billion Xbox One consoles.

It's the same as the 2 billion gamer comment from Phil Spencer, they want to reach.

But he got the growing console market wrong, and the option to extend that like using them as Apple and Fire TV.
Today Microsoft says the total console user market is about 180m (non multi console ownership figure)

This was a usual "total addressable market" comment.

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is assuming the bumps seen in prior gens was "normal" to begin with.

It wasn't.

Especially when "generational sales" are not a perfect indicator for growth - PS2 did 50m after 360 + PS3 launch.
A better metric would be console hw sold in 5 years for example, but that would also be kind of arbritary because of overlaps.

Growth is there of course, but talking about reaching 1 billion customers makes him look like a megalomaniac in hindsight. How exactly was MS planing to reach those IOS and Android users? As I've said before, when X1 launched MS PR also targetted 40% market share in Germany...lol, didn't happen.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if I missed it ppl (and I've skimmed through some posts but dont see it) but any numbers on the PSVR sales?? I am really curious about that.

Also good to see all companies selling well. It bodes well for a continued three front console future and no one holding back. I am particularly interested in the Sony versus Microsoft future consoles because I know both will be going for the jugular, packing great features in good hardware. 2019 and 2020 are going to be the next great year of gamers in terms of hardware info and anxiousness.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a major disconnect going on because of where BFV is in placement and how it actually performed

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Mr MatPiscatella how is AC Odyssey doing? good enough? kinda soft? it was a high profile SP game releasing on the holidays against other juggernauts which intrigues me.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
It's right here:

By revenue the Switch is on top. By units sold the PS4 is on top [through magicpork's numbers].

Ummm, no... that is not what it said. It says,

Hardware for November: PlayStation 4 was the leading hardware platform of November 2018 in unit sales. Nintendo Switch was the leading hardware platform of November 2018 in dollar sales. The PlayStation 4 remains the leader in hardware platform dollar sales year to date.

You left out the first sentence.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Year to Date
  1. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  2. Red Dead Redemption II
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Far Cry 5
  5. Madden NFL 19^
  6. Marvel's Spider-Man
  7. God of War 2018
  8. Monster Hunter: World
  9. Grand Theft Auto V
  10. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Good to see both GOW and Spider Man in the top 10.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
There is a major disconnect going on because of where BFV is in placement and how it actually performed
I hope software numbers become more routinely available in the future, because people will argue anything that doesn't have an objective sales number attached to disproving what they are saying. All the documented facts about low preorder numbers and rapid price adjustment just flies over their heads.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It feels like a great sales year for a very solid range of games -- glad to hear it. I even think a lot of the high profile indies tended to do well more often than not, too.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I hope software numbers become more routinely available in the future, because people will argue anything that doesn't have an objective sales number attached to disproving what they are saying. All the documented facts about low preorder numbers and rapid price adjustment just flies over their heads.
It's not even all about the actual software unit sales, I think. BFV was one of the titles that was heavily discounted within like two weeks after launch, which is quite a bad sign for a major game like this.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Dayum! Sony and Nintendo are on fire. Congrats to their leadership teams.

And RDR2 is no surprise.

Oct 27, 2017
Best hardware for November. If something's missing (like an unknown PSone performance) feel free to fill the gap !

* Wii (November 2008 with 2,04 million)
* Xbox 360 (November 2011 with 1,70 million)
* PlayStation 4 (November 2017 with 1,69 million)
* PlayStation 4 (November 2015 with 1,54 million)
* PlayStation 4 (November 2018 with 1,48 million)

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
It's not even all about the actual software unit sales, I think. BFV was one of the titles that was heavily discounted within like two weeks after launch, which is quite a bad sign for a major game like this.
Agreed 100%. The whole point is we're being told by people in the know that the price cutting was abnormally fast and and aggressive. And if somebody has paid anything attention to what has been going with those games in terms of PR issues or weirdly out of character responses to player complaints, none of it is surprising.

What I'd like to know, and maybe Benji or Mat can inform us - are people who wait for price drops on a game less likely to get hooked into being microtransaction customers? If somebody is buying BO4 this month, or waited the whopping two weeks (/s) on F76 and BFV, do they tend to spend less than the day one customers? I figure that would be the case, but the way some F2P games like Fortnite can convert brand new customers into spenders months or years after the fact, I can't really be so certain about it. The whole "TTK" debacle with BFV reads like the people who picked the game up outside of the immediate launch week didn't stick with the game and EA saw it as a huge issue for the intended revenue stream.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be fair it's not so much that BFV is a disaster or anything. Steep price discounts are lifting it from its soft launch and honestly it's looking like it may do pretty alright in December as well

It's more that it's just pretty soft especially in comparison to the smashing success BF1 was. Honestly BFV reminds me a lot of Battlefront 2 in terms of being a game down quite a bit from its predecessor, missing expectations, and then relying heavily on discounts to push units.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Benji Did you ever talk about how PSVR is doing? Any insights there?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Benji Did you ever talk about how PSVR is doing? Any insights there?

VR remain really niche. Discounts did lift units but not to a degree that would be considered any sort of major performance.

That said I know first hand VR doesnt actually cost Sony that much in terms of investment and internally its seen as a sort of passion project. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

But yeah its certainly not any sort of breakout mainstream performance. It's more a small, dedicated community

Oct 27, 2017
A important bit was shared in the previous thread by the way : in November, the PS4 LTD (27,5 million) went beyond the PS3 LTD (26,8 million).

The Xbox One on the flipside has fallen behind the Xbox 360 after 61 months (23,6 million), but the three-sixty was a particular beast in the US.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
A important bit was shared in the previous thread by the way : in November, the PS4 LTD (27,5 million) went beyond the PS3 LTD (26,8 million).

The Xbox One on the flipside has fallen behind the Xbox 360 after 61 months (23,6 million), but the three-sixty was a particular beast in the US.
I think PS4 will fall behind X360 in 2020.