• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised with the Spider-Man $200 deal and they didn't break 2 million for the month.

Still a good month for Sony, but looking at Switch and Xbox hardware totals certainly puts a damper on any momentum they could have created.

How does it put a damper?

Here's an important lesson to remember from SalesEra: whether or not something meets your personal expectations has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether it's actually good or bad. The "lot worse" and "really, really bad" month you're referring to is in fact the fifth best November of all time. No PS2 November ever reached this level, for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Hot damn Spyro, 760k+ units - that's some hot fire. I gotta get me this. Crazy how well these single player nostalgia plays ( Activision hyper targeting all their Skylanders segments that are now underserved) are doing (when Made well)
Thanks for the info

All this success for it brings a tear to my eye.

Wow. This is really, really bad for the PlayStation 4, I'm very surprised (I expected more than 2M, at least 1.8M). Limited numbers of the 200$ bundle is one of the main reason, but probably not the only one.
Not just "bad" but "really, really bad" to sell 1M+ units?

Welp.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
word to add to the incredibly long list of words era should stop using because they don't know what they mean: momentum

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I can already see what will happen if Switch don't sell 2 million or more in December.
Fascinating to see people disappointed in selling over 1.4 million in November.
Yeah, it's not so assured that NSW will sell over 2M units in December.
No console has topped 2M units sold in a month in US since 2011 (the last consoles to met such feat were DS and Wii back in December 2010).

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
No that's pretty much the only reason. Sony only had a certain number of $200 PS4s they wanted to sell and that was it. There is nothing really, really bad about it at all.
I don't think it's the only reason. Sony announced maybe this deal too early, this is why sales during the first two weeks were bad. And I think the price difference between the Spider-Man bundle and other bundles was too much. Why not drop the price of the regular PlayStation 4 to 250$ (or even better, to 200$) ? Why not do a bundle with Red Dead Redemption 2 or Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII for 250$ ?

I think a lot of consumers have waited for the Black Friday deal, but it was out of stock, so they didn't buy anything because the price difference (+100$ and one game less) seems too much for them. Even with the same number of Spider-Man bundles, I think Sony could have done better.

This doesn't make sense since they are the number one for the month and it is one of the best November's ever for PlayStation.

If they did bad the other too had bad results too? Nah all 3 were great.
The Xbox One was below both the PlayStation 4 and the Switch during most months of the year, but its results was good because it was up YOY. The best comparison for the PlayStation 4 isn't the Switch or the Xbox One, but the year 2017 of the PlayStation 4. In November, PlayStation 4 is sharply down YOY, both in units and in revenue (and probably in profit) and sales will be probably down YTD at the end of the year.

The fact that PlayStation 4 is down YOY, the year of God of War, Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption 2 is really bad for Sony. I think they made a lot of mistakes.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that PS4 and XB1 are both still selling so well in their 6th years. But then again, PS3 and Xbox 360 both peaked in 2011, their 6th and 7th years, respectively. I wonder if this means that massive tail-ends of console lifespan will become a normal thing and the "typical" 4-5 year curve for consoles is dead.

It's most definitely dead

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's the only reason. Sony announced maybe this deal too early, this is why sales during the first two weeks were bad. And I think the price difference between the Spider-Man bundle and other bundles was too much. Why not drop the price of the regular PlayStation 4 to 250$ (or even better, to 200$) ? Why not do a bundle with Red Dead Redemption 2 or Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII for 250$ ?

I think a lot of consumers have waited for the Black Friday deal, but it was out of stock, so they didn't buy anything because the price difference (+100$ and one game less) seems too much for them. Even with the same number of Spider-Man bundles, I think Sony could have done better.

The Xbox One was below both the PlayStation 4 and the Switch during most months of the year, but its results was good because it was up YOY. The best comparison for the PlayStation 4 isn't the Switch or the Xbox One, but the year 2017 of the PlayStation 4. In November, PlayStation 4 is sharply down YOY, both in units and in revenue (and probably in profit) and sales will be probably down YTD at the end of the year.

The fact that PlayStation 4 is down YOY, the year of God of War, Spider-Man and Red Dead Redemption 2 is really bad for Sony. I think they made a lot of mistakes.

I'm sorry, but this entire post is ridiculous. The PS4 just had a record November and yet this is still bad in its 5 year of sales? No, this is not bad no matter how you try to spin it.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, Switch will not do 2 million in December...not at $299 price and also without Cyber Monday this year.
Probably it will do something like 1.7 million which is huge.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
WOW ! So that's very rare indeed !
Crazy to think the Industry is at similar levels of the DS/Wii/360 glory days.
Thanks
The big difference compared to Holiday 2010 is that both DS and Wii sold more than 2M units each in December while XB360 sold relatively close to 2M.

This December will be different.

It will be interesting tto see if the shift in consumers behaviour to favour the deep discounts during Black Friday over purchases in the weeks before Christmas will be confirmed after last year (XBO and PS4 sold less in December than in November in 2017).

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
PS4 US LTD - 27.6m
SWI US LTD - 8.7m

Switch has to sell about 666k more than PS4 in December to be higher overall in 2018 for the US. Worldwide, Switch needs to outship Sony by 1.6m (in Oct-Dec) to match them for 2018.

Of course software matters, but my point was it's irrelevant to the comparison. There are many different reasons for a console's sales--price, marketing, product revision, and yes software. If you look back at history, the combination of all those things together has not been as successful pushing sales numbers late in a console's life versus earlier. Switch had a less hard task ahead of it. (And this all ignores how wrong you are trying to cast Let's Go and Smash as weak offerings.)

Here's an important lesson to remember from SalesEra: whether or not something meets your personal expectations has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether it's actually good or bad. The "lot worse" and "really, really bad" month you're referring to is in fact the fifth best November of all time. No PS2 November ever reached this level, for example.

How does it sit for the competition, how does Xbox and Nintendo performance rank against previous Novembers for them?

I understand Sony controlled how many Spider-Man bundles were sold. I guess the narrative here is Sony performed exactly how they wanted to perform and they didn't want any more sales?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The narrative is that regardless what happens in December PS4 had an excellent year (surely among the best), XBO yearly sales will be up compared to 2017 to my big surprise and Switch will also be up but it's still unclear how high because it's the console that has the most potential for December.

Oct 27, 2017
How does it sit for the competition, how does Xbox and Nintendo performance rank against previous Novembers for them?

I understand Sony controlled how many Spider-Man bundles were sold. I guess the narrative here is Sony performed exactly how they wanted to perform and they didn't want any more sales?

"Narrative". Lol It's really bothering some of you that Sony had a historic November huh?

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
I guess the narrative here is Sony performed exactly how they wanted to perform and they didn't want any more sales?

Nobody with any level of common sense is buying that line right?

Sony would love to sell more consoles and certainly wouldn't control the total sales through artificial shortage. That's nonsense.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nobody with any level of common sense is buying that line right?

Sony would love to sell more consoles and certainly wouldn't control the total sales through artificial shortage. That's nonsense.
It's not a shortage per se, but the Spider-Man bundles were limited and they could've made more I guess?

Or at least they could've been a little more aggressive with the other PS4 models, like when the Spider-Man bundle was done the only other option was a $300 plain slim. They could've dropped the Black ops 4 bundle at $250.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah because almost selling 1.5 million is not big enough so fans need to make up a narrative? Lol.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Surprised with the Spider-Man $200 deal and they didn't break 2 million for the month.

Still a good month for Sony, but looking at Switch and Xbox hardware totals certainly puts a damper on any momentum they could have created.
The PS4 momentum has all gen been in the worldwide sales gap and it continues to be. The November difference between PS4 and XB1 is about in line with the LTD difference percentage wise. All this talk about Xbox comeback would be more valuable if it was evidenced in worldwide data instead of being based on misconceptions that they have been outsold 2 to 1 in the US all gen and then feinting surprise when seeing the same ~10% sales difference that it's been this entire gen.
Sure they always want more sales, but not for $199 console+game at this point in time. That promotional stock is always based on calculations.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The big difference compared to Holiday 2010 is that both DS and Wii sold more than 2M units each in December while XB360 sold relatively close to 2M.

This December will be different.

It will be interesting tto see if the shift in consumers behaviour to favour the deep discounts during Black Friday over purchases in the weeks before Christmas will be confirmed after last year (XBO and PS4 sold less in December than in November in 2017).

Nearly 3 consoles over 2 millions ? We're not there yet I guess.

But in December, I really want to see the Switch potential. Can it get close to 2.5 million. I think 2 million is a lock right ?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
User Banned (1 Week): Entering a thread to engage in console wars and troll, history of similar infractions
I see a lot of people responding to my posts with SOny sold out of spider-man bundles so they sold exactly what they wanted of that SKU. WHat happens if they didn't have that $200 dollar deal on? they would have been severely down compared to the competition?!

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I see a lot of people responding to my posts with SOny sold out of spider-man bundles so they sold exactly what they wanted of that SKU. WHat happens if they didn't have that $200 dollar deal on? they would have been severely down compared to the competition?!
What happens if they didn't have any Black Friday promotions? That's a silly speculation.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What happens if they didn't have any Black Friday promotions? That's a silly speculation.

It really isn't in many ways, weren't they cheaper than the one s? a historically poorly performing console.

I would love to know how many units the X sold compared to the S. It obviously puts it behind the switch in revenue but it must have been a lot.

Sony had a great month, like many have said. Record breaking. It looks like they were the cheapest out of the three though and if they didn't have as crunchy of a deal they would have probably been third.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. This is really, really bad for the PlayStation 4, I'm very surprised (I expected more than 2M, at least 1.8M). Limited numbers of the 200$ bundle is one of the main reason, but probably not the only one.
Would you say the age of Sony is over?

WHat happens if they didn't have that $200 dollar deal on? they would have been severely down compared to the competition?!
The age of Sony would probably be over sooner than we thought.

PS4 is pushing a permanent cut to $199 anyway, having been at $299/399 so long and still competing (even outselling a brand new console globally) is quite strong.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nearly 3 consoles over 2 millions ? We're not there yet I guess.

But in December, I really want to see the Switch potential. Can it get close to 2.5 million. I think 2 million is a lock right ?
Cyber Monday is missing from December sales this year and Nintendo had a way stronger November which may lead to softer December sales. Slightly up over last year (which was 1.6 million) is a reasonable prediction but 2 million is in no way a lock.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It really isn't in many ways, weren't they cheaper than the one s? a historically poorly performing console.

I would love to know how many units the X sold compared to the S. It obviously puts it behind the switch in revenue but it must have been a lot.

Sony had a great month, like many have said. Record breaking. It looks like they were the cheapest out of the three though and if they didn't have as crunchy of a deal they would have probably been third.
I don't understand what you are arguing, both consoles were being sold for $199, even the 1X had a promotion I believe.

Oct 27, 2017

You realize Sony couldn't care less what the competition does at this point right? This is all about their own company and their profits as they are beholden to the investors, not Nintendo and MS. The fact that 5 years after it first released, the PS4 managed to have one of the biggest Novembers in history is insane enough, but now it's a narrative because you are introducing baseless speculation? Ok.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Every console would have sold less without deals.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you really think Sony care if they are third? Do you see they even moving a finger to try not be third in December? PS4 is approachung 100M console sales, in the grand scheme of things this is completely irrelevant

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
What happens if Sony didn't have that PS4 created? They surely would've been severely down compared to the competition?!

Haaaa man I see why you guys hang around sales-age now. Let me get some snacks, brb.

Well, I for one am glad that we all seem to be in agreement that "artificial scarcity" arguments are always complete nonsense.

I think the sentiment is "profit was priority".

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
2366D1B9-D01C-4CB5-9FAA-5BF4889A4423.jpeg

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Consoles were supposed to be dead in the beginning of this generation. And now we see the best software sales in 7 years and all three consoles selling very well in November.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Consoles are flying and there are some very sensitive people it seems. Looks like if you aren't completely down with the record breaking sales of all consoles then you are against them.

There's nothing wrong with thinking the PS4 would have sold more, from all the hype about the spider-man bundle. I don't know what the one s pricing was like, but I do know that the xbox one before the X was getting trounced.

Oct 31, 2017

You realize everyone has Black Friday deals, right? And the one that sold the fastest was the Spider-Man bundle.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Consoles are flying and there are some very sensitive people it seems. Looks like if you aren't completely down with the record breaking sales of all consoles then you are against them.

There's nothing wrong with thinking the PS4 would have sold more, from all the hype about the spider-man bundle. I don't know what the one s pricing was like, but I do know that the xbox one before the X was getting trounced.

Like you said, expectations were high for a big November from Sony given the Spiderman bundle. Instead we find all 3 basically neck and neck.

Surprising finish. Good month for Sony and great month for Switch and Xbox given expectations.

Feb 26, 2018

Playing a victim card now lol