• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
So a few thoughts

This month is pretty incredible in terms of how close all 3 are. Xbox seriously over performed in terms of expectations

Spyro is going phenomenal

Combined November + December is going to see the PS4 down quite significantly YoY in terms of holiday performance. Sony prioritized profit over units but its still going to be quite a drop.

Any questions?

Any software performing well that you wouldn't have expected? Not talking but games but just some random smaller titles that may be popping out.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's not literally impossible, of course. But it's super unlikely. A 2.5m December has only been achieved twice, once by PS2 and once by Wii. Switch is not as popular as either of those machines.

Beating PS4 for the year wouldn't require a 2.5m December, though, and is much more likely.

The gap is ~666k, not 800k as has been said a couple times in the thread.

I think that's a reasonable stance. I agree that a lot of us have been overly bullish on December switch numbers (myself included). 2.5 million is the absolute high end but I'd say unlikely at this stage. At the moment I'm leaning somewhere closer to 2 million for December but it's so hard to predict. On the flip side I think the PS4 is unlikely to cross 1 million so I'd say it's likely that switch will finish the year on top (not that it really matters).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
My beginning of the year prediction of Switch leading in both units and dollars this year is one I'm sticking with, but I can see a bunch of potential scenarios possibly playing out.
Not gonna lie, I made this face when you made that prediction.....

200.gif

You looking like Nostradamus now.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get people tweeting me and making comments on YouTube every month that are far more direct about their opinion on that prediction, to put it nicely. I've learned some people take this extremely seriously. It's unfortunate, to say the least.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Mat's tweet earlier says it's a lot closer than people are stating. It should come down to the wire.
"Down to the wire" probably isn't how I'd say it. I predict Switch will be ahead anywhere between ~400-800K YTD. All depends on how high Switch sells in December, and how low PS4 sells.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Should be noted that PS4 would have likely taken top spot in revenue if there wasn't constraint supply. Sony was fine with what they shipped.
Wasn't the supply constraint deliberate? As in, Sony was only willing to sell so many systems at $200? IIRC there were still plenty of PS4s around, just no $200 PS4s.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
"Down to the wire" probably isn't how I'd say it. I predict Switch will be ahead anywhere between ~400-800K YTD. All depends on how high Switch sells in December, and how low PS4 sells.

Depends how you look at it. I agree with your prediction but that still means the switch only really overtook the PS4 like halfway through December or even later. I could still see that as being 'down to the wire' even if technically the gap ends up being fairly big.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Would love if Matt or anyone with some data would comment on how diablo is performing on switch. Anecdotally it seemed to be doing pretty well.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna lie, I made this face when you made that prediction.....

200.gif

You looking like Nostradamus now.

Based off of last year I don't think it's a particularly reaction worthy prediction tbh.

Whether it comes true or not is always up in the air until the numbers come out but I don't think it was a conceited.gif worthy prediction even in January.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Industry is about to get much bigger and you already have numbers like this. It's why a bunch of other companies are about to jump in.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Depends how you look at it. I agree with your prediction but that still means the switch only really overtook the PS4 like halfway through December or even later. I could still see that as being 'down to the wire' even if technically the gap ends up being fairly big.
I mean, it really comes down to how well PS4 (and XB1) have sold all year. Since the beginning of the year I've predicted Switch would outsell PS4 but I didn't expect PS4 to sell like it has.

Also Nintendo always does incredible over the holidays. A large chunk of their sales comes from Q4.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Then the question is what information was MatPiscatella looking at when he wrote that tweet? Just going off of the November results? I'm not certain the gap between Switch and PS4 will be that high, but we will see.

I don't think he's saying that December will be at that close, but rather the yearly totals after December will probably be closer than people expect. If the PS4 is currently 650k ahead the Switch will need to sell quite a lot more than that to be significantly ahead.

I think it'll probably be like 750-850k ahead in December so only like 100-200k ahead for the year. So pretty close.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Party beat Spider-Man? That's crazy.

Keep in mind Mario Party had the Joy Con bundle and Spider-Man had a discount for BF and it's a revenue chart. I'm sure both done very well.

Edit:
Would love if Matt or anyone with some data would comment on how diablo is performing on switch. Anecdotally it seemed to be doing pretty well.

If I remember correctly Benji said Diablo III had good sales in October, though an update on how it performed in November would be great.

Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Man, Microsoft has really turned things around with the Xbox One, and huge credit needs to be given to Phil Spencer for that. They're somehow succeeding in getting far closer in the race than they really have any right to, and it's almost entirely on the back of Game Pass and the Xbox One X.

Hugely impressive.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Hot damn Spyro, 760k+ units - that's some hot fire. I gotta get me this. Crazy how well these single player nostalgia plays ( Activision hyper targeting all their Skylanders segments that are now underserved) are doing (when Made well)

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Hot damn Spyro, 760k+ units - that's some hot fire. I gotta get me this. Crazy how well these single player nostalgia plays ( Activision hyper targeting all their Skylanders segments that are now underserved) are doing (when Made well)

Whilst so far it's been single player games I could see crash team racing achieving similar results.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see all three consoles doing well. Remember when some people said this gen might not even happen or would be the least successful and the last one, cause we'd all be playing on mobile? :P

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that is incredible.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I'm glad to see that all three console makers had a straight up dynamite month, but I'm really curious about how December goes. If Sony can manage to hold on to their lead for the year or if that Nintendo-Christmas magic, with Smash as the kicker, will give Nintendo the W.

Apr 21, 2018
giphy.gif

I'm glad to see that all three console makers had a straight up dynamite month, but I'm really curious about how December goes. If Sony can manage to hold on to their lead for the year or if that Nintendo-Christmas magic, with Smash as the kicker, will give Nintendo the W.

What is the PS4 and Switch LTD now? Do we know how much the switch has to outsell PS4 in December to lead the year? Are we only talking North America here? (Or do we think Switch will sell the most worldwide too)

Sorry for all the questions!

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tbh I agree. I thought that Xbox One would have a steeper decline YoY considering it was going against the X launch last year but it over performed imo
Isn't that because cyber Monday Is included? If true then I don't see why people are surprised.

Anyways Congrats to Sony for once again taking top spot and to Nintendo for coming back from their WiiU disaster.

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that because cyber Monday Is included? If true then I don't see why people are surprised.

Anyways Congrats to Sony for once again taking top spot and to Nintendo for coming back from their WiiU disaster.

Sure but the PS4 for example is down a pretty good amount YoY while Xbox One only is marginally. Pretty impressive really that it held as well as it did

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
It's not literally impossible, of course. But it's super unlikely. A 2.5m December has only been achieved twice, once by PS2 and once by Wii. Switch is not as popular as either of those machines.

Beating PS4 for the year wouldn't require a 2.5m December, though, and is much more likely.

Roughly, current 3DS + Switch revenue in the Americas is about 2.25x what 3DS+Wii U revenue was (approximately) launch-aligned. It's about half what DS+Wii revenue was in a comparable timeframe. Relative margins are bigger now (undoubtedly drive by high-margin amiibo, mobile, and eShop earnings).

The gap is ~666k, not 800k as has been said a couple times in the thread.

I could mention that Let's Go absolutely does not have sales "nowhere near where [Pokemon] usually is". Or that, yes, having the highest-selling exclusive game of all time could pretty much make a year just by itself (especially since Switch will only pass PS4 in the month of that game's release). But there's a larger point to make besides these errors.

Which is that no matter what the reasons for it, massive hardware numbers in year 5 are historically more difficult than massive numbers in year 2. Looking at the past two decades, there have been 3 year-two totals that meet or exceed what Switch will do. That's out of 9 machines (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, 360, PS3, Wii, WiiU, XB1, PS4), or 33%. But how many fifth years were above PS4's 2018? That's only 1 (the 360), or about 11%.*

*If you add handhelds, then both Switch year two and PS4 year five are beaten by one more entry each (GBA and DS, respectively).

These years don't exist in a vacuum. The software matters. Period.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure but the PS4 for example is down a pretty good amount YoY while Xbox One only is marginally. Pretty impressive really that it held as well as it did
But if Sony didn't ship as many 200 ps4 as last year then they can't be up. If they hadn't shipped more wouldn't how much they sale be limited by their stock of 199 Spider-Man bundles?

Was there even stock for PS4 on cyber Monday?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if Sony didn't ship as many 200 ps4 as last year then they can't be up. If they hadn't shipped more wouldn't how much they sale be limited by their stock of 199 Spider-Man bundles?

PS4 is mostly down not because of BF week but because the rest of November was really soft for it in comparison to last year.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MS is putting in some good work in the second half of this gen, will be interesting to see if that pays dividends for them with Scarlett.

XBox One X has been a revelation for them.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 Pros must be making up an even smaller slice of PS4 sales than I thought if Sony is moving more units but making less dollars than the Switch.

PS4 Pro's account for roughly 25% of all PS4's sold according to Sony, and I believe Mat hinted at it being as much as 1/3rd at one point. Thing is, a bulk of these November PS4 sales are going to be $199 BF bundles, there were also Pro deals too that had it nearing Switch pricing, so it makes sense the minority of Pro sales weren't enough to bridge the difference.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Pokémon Stadium sold 3m+ in the United States so it makes sense it had a big launch; also, it costed a lot.

Anyway, it's good to see that Mario + Rabbids and Donkey Kong Country are keeping selling well.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Fallout 76 and Battlefield V both hit $35 / $30 respecitively within two weeks. A month later, you can walk into Best Buy and get either game for $39.99 / $29.99. What difference does it make if it is a "price cut" vs. a "price drop" when neither game was holding their initial launch price so soon after release and are continuing to be discounted?