• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I should probably clarify that adding the Souljaboy console to the ranking was a joke lol.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I'd argue that it's more impressive in a year where the biggest multi platform game of the gen launched, along with two of the biggest exclusive IP's this gen (which sold in record numbers), and Fortnite (which the Switch didn't get until midway through the year) the Switch (with a less impressive 2018 software wise than 2017) will manage to outsell the biggest console of the gen.
Its not even close Pokemon smash and second year hype is way bigger than a 5 year old console no matter what game is realeased.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Having the world "remastered" in the title doesn't make it more of a remaster than GTA V. GTA V has so much more content and features than the original release. It isn't a straight port by any means.
I've always said this. GTAV PS4Bone was a complete remaster with massive new features, much more than many other games actually branded remaster or Deluxe or HD (eg Mario Kart DX).

But people seem to take the titles at face value and say they are the same game, but the likes of Mario Kart 8 and DX, TLOU and Remastered are separate.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
This is the tweet I was referring to, not the one you guys keep misinterpreting. He's obviously referring to December lol.

Yeah, I mean, in the end, the race between PS4 and Switch will be close. I edited out the other part of my post because it pointed the picture that the Switch and PS4 (and Xbox) were close to each other this month. That may not be true, but the PS4 can still be the best selling console of the year if the Switch doesn't overcome the gap.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess all the Trophy math on Fallout 76 was wrong then? They had it pegged at like 400K copies, which seemed way too low even for a terrible game in the series.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
voo7ms50lr221.jpg

Sharing the stage. <3

Truly the most fitting year to have done this.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
How many units is the PS4 up so far this year? I know we expect Switch will easily take December, but based on Mat's comments maybe Dec is closer than expected, or the gap is larger than expected.

About 800k apparently. So a big task to outsell it by that margin - was always going to be close but would think the Switch sneaks it considering how well Smash is doing and presumably driving hardware.

I mean a few hundred thousand difference doesn't really matter anyway - basically even with both selling like crazy

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Its not even close Pokemon smash and second year hype is way bigger than a 5 year old console no matter what game is realeased.

I can't even tell if you're being serious.

It was evident from the onset that this Pokemon, regardless of the quality, was not for the hardcore Pokemon crowd. The hype for Pokemon was absolutely nowhere near where it usually is. This was clear by its sales.

Smash alone does not a year make.

Sony's hype machine was in full force with GoW, Spider-Man, Read Dead, Black Ops 4.

Switch doing as well as it has thus far is way more impressive, easily.

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't imply that switch and PS4 will be close in December, just that it might not quite make up the current YoY gap of around 800K.

I wasn't implying about December. I was talking about the end of the year and who is going to get overall for the year. Obviously December's total is going to make or break that depending on how much more the Switch sells than PS4. That's what I meant by close.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You were told right.

Disregarding the obvious signs of disastrous sales (all those panicked >33% discounts in the first few weeks...oof), just look at the numbers. It sold worse than New Vegas in its first month. Keep in mind, Fallout 4 sold about triple what New Vegas did in their first months. And yes, I know that doesn't include all the people that bought it digitally (and are probably wishing they didn't...), but somehow it doesn't seem like those extra sales would be enough to close the gap.

Not to mention there seems to be a new fiasco every other day revolving around either 76's preorder bonuses, exorbitant microtransaction prices, the game itself in general, or some combination of those three. After the holidays, this game's sales are going to sink like a stone.

That's not to say Beth can't turn things around in the future, but for now: yeah, it's pretty much a bomb. I can't honestly classify it as anything else.
Fallout 76 did not sell worse then New Vegas. It sold worst physically. Digital sales for 76 make up anywhere from 30-50%

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
About 800k apparently. So a big task to outsell it by that margin - was always going to be close but would think the Switch sneaks it considering how well Smash is doing and presumably driving hardware.

I mean a few hundred thousand difference doesn't really matter anyway - basically even with both selling like crazy

Agree it's really less relevant who "won" when they both are doing great.

With a 800k gap I would still expect Switch to edge out a close victory, but it doesn't seem certain.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I wasn't implying about December. I was talking about the end of the year and who is going to get overall for the year. Obviously December's total is going to make or break that depending on how much more the Switch sells than PS4. That's what I meant by close.

Not sure what anyone was minterpreting then? I think at this point the total sales for the year are going to be fairly close between the PS4 and switch and pretty much everyone would agree with that.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS might be the most impressive even if technically they finished just a tad below the other two in units sold.

XBox brand is still quite strong in the US and XBox One X has really turned things around for them.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
That's a bit of an oxymoron isn't it considering those publishers care about money first and foremost. If they don't put it on the system then there's a reason for it.
Wut. I was just pointing out that we can speculate for ages but no real data to go off of. If 3rd parties suddenly released day and date on a Nintendo system would they perform just as well as they do on PS/Xbox/PC and therefore knock all of the first party stuff down? No one knows, all we know is that 3rd party is strong on PS/Xbox and not on Nintendo. It would be really interesting if GTA6, COD, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, etc all releases on a Nintendo console day 1.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
MS might be the most impressive even if technically they finished just a tad below the other two in units sold.

XBox brand is still quite strong in the US and XBox One X has really turned things around for them.
It did great, Phil and the team have really turned that ship around and it will hopefully give Sony a run for its money next gen !

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are people still going to be saying BFV was a bomb?

Price promotions are working wonders for BFV

Its launch was really muted but has since legged pretty well considering the soft launch thanks to deep discounts.

Still not a good thing for EA overall as they are having to resort to driving down prices to move units but it's not quite the disaster it could have been looking at just pre-orders / launch sales

Last edited:

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Damn Hitman 2 didn't chart at all. Can't be a good look but then again what was Warner Bros thinking releasing it in November.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
]Price promotions are working wonders for BFV

Its launch was really muted but has since lagged pretty well considering the soft launch thanks to deep discounts.

Still not a good thing for EA overall as they are having to resort to driving down prices to move units but it's not quite the disaster it could have been looking at just pre-orders / launch sales
Interesting info. Thank you. Still, watching your multi million dollar franchise falling to <$30 AA tier must sting a bit. Still, business is business.

How is AC Odyssey doing? I think Ubisoft deciding it was going to a single player game facing off against RDR2 and SM2 and the rest of the holidays is kind of brave, if a bit pitiful.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I dont usually post in these threads, but I wanted to congratulate all three nintendo, xbox, and playstation! This is pretty awesome news.

Happy holidays everybody!