• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
@MatPiscatella I understand if you cannot give out the information but can you give an indication of it which models drove growth for PS4 and XBOX (pro/non pro and X/non X)? Did the cheaper, aggressively priced models see a higher % increase compared to the ~4K machines? I understand this is probably a dumb question but just interested.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Looks like PS4 will hold on and take the year.

You mean as the best selling console of the year? Not really, the Switch will kill it on December and most probably overtake the PS4. December is always an incredible strong month for Nintendo.

I thought the PS4 would sell more at that price. But hey, I'm new to Sales Era.

They would, if they had more units of the Spiderman bundle. But it seems Sony was happy to selling just a X amount of that bundle.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
The OP portion really seems to undersell how successful Fallout 76 was despite it's issue. It's at #4 without the digital numbers reported.

That's absolutely nuts unless I'm misunderstanding how the NPDs are reported.

Great month for the industry though, it makes me really happy to see

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
@MatPiscatella I understand if you cannot give out the information but can you give an indication of it which models drove growth for PS4 and XBOX (pro/non pro and X/non X)? Did the cheaper, aggressively priced models see a higher % increase compared to the ~4K machines? I understand this is probably a dumb question but just interested.

Not a dumb question... Nov/Dec is when the lower priced SKUs will thrive. Switch is the only platform that experienced YoY growth in November, however, and sales were driven by the Neon 32GB SKU and the Mario Kart bundle.

Fallout 76... #4 without the digital numbers reported.

That's absolutely nuts unless I'm misunderstanding how the NPDs are reported.

You've got it... no digital sales included for Fallout 76, and I have to imagine the digital share for it would be substantial.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
The best calculations indicate that the Switch will outsell the PS4 by around 1m in December, which is more or less the gap between them right now.

Maybe you know something I don't but why are people thinking it will outsell the PS4 by that much

It's like people are just writing the PS4 off like it's done

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Even though the Switch will likely overtake PS4 in Dec for the year, still a great showing by them to be as close as they are in year 5 of a console vs year 2 of a console that launched 2 of its biggest IPs.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Maybe you know something I don't but why are people thinking it will outsell the PS4 by that much

It's like people are just writing the PS4 off like it's done

I personally don't have any info on this, but insiders have commented that the performance of the Switch on December has been amazing (as it common with Nintendo hardware), while the PS4 have had a decent performance but the lack of any promotion is leaving it behind the Switch. As it seems Sony won't have any promotion on this month, the data seems to suggest that the Switch will out-perform the PS4 by a large margin, enough to erase the gap between them.

Again, we all could be wrong, but so far, this seems to be what the available data is suggesting.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really sad that Fallout 76 was the fourth best selling game in the US last month but neither Hitman 2 or Darksiders 3 made the top 20. Both of those are far more finished and better games. People really fell for that con Bethesda pulled.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
That's not what this says though.

If I had to guess I would say:

By units:
  1. PS4
  2. Switch
  3. Xbox One
By revenue:
  1. Switch
  2. Xbox One
  3. PS4
It LITERALLY says that:

"Hardware for November: PlayStation 4 was the leading hardware platform of November 2018 in unit sales. Nintendo Switch was the leading hardware platform of November 2018 in dollar sales. The PlayStation 4 remains the leader in hardware platform dollar sales year to date."

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Even though the Switch will likely overtake PS4 in Dec for the year, still a great showing by them to be as close as they are in year 5 of a console vs year 2 of a console that launched 2 of its biggest IPs.

It's all about perspective. I'd argue it's just as impressive that despite a lacklustre overall lineup this year and no movement on price the switch will come close to matching the PS4's best ever year in its second year.

Truth be told both the PS4 and switch are huge successes and represent an incredible turnaround for both companies from last gen.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fun to remember years ago when masses of people would predict COD's demise was just around the corner.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
I personally don't have any info on this, but insiders have commented that the performance of the Switch on December has been amazing (as it common with Nintendo hardware), while the PS4 have had a decent performance but the lack of any promotion is leaving it behind the Switch. As it seems Sony won't have any promotion on this month, the data seems to suggest that the Switch will out-perform the PS4 by a large margin, enough to erase the gap between them.

I'll eat crow if wrong but I'm going ps4 December even if it loses I don't think it will be by a million

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
It LITERALLY says that:

"Hardware for November: PlayStation 4 was the leading hardware platform of November 2018 in unit sales. Nintendo Switch was the leading hardware platform of November 2018 in dollar sales. The PlayStation 4 remains the leader in hardware platform dollar sales year to date."
That was added in post.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Switch
  1. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu
  2. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee
  3. Super Mario Part
  4. Mario Kart 8
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  7. Just Dance 2019
  8. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  9. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

above splatoon 2?

was there a sale for these 3....?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Not a dumb question... Nov/Dec is when the lower priced SKUs will thrive. Switch is the only platform that experienced YoY growth in November, however, and sales were driven by the Neon 32GB SKU and the Mario Kart bundle.
Seems the general consumers behaviour moved to preempt the purchase of consoles during Black Friday week (November) with the deep discounts instead of waiting for the weeks closer to Christmas (December).
I have the feel that both XBO and PS4 will be down month over moth this December just like happened last year.

EDIT:
It must be said that XBO and PS4 have already a big install base in US so it's only natural that among who that still has to purchase one there are the more price sensitive consumers that would flock to BF deals.
It's just that console sales bigger in November than December was a pretty uncommon event until very recently.

Last edited:

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks a lot Mat. Not surprised the Mario Kart bundle is really strong. What a boon for Nintendo that (enhanced) port has been. It's basically the strongest performer for them. If it is not the best selling game on the system now it definitely will be in the long run.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Switch
  1. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu
  2. Pokemon: Lets Go Eevee
  3. Super Mario Part
  4. Mario Kart 8
  5. Super Mario Odyssey
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  7. Just Dance 2019
  8. Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy
  9. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

above splatoon 2?

was there a sale for these 3....?
I sometimes wonder if paid online is lowering Splatoon 2 sales...

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017

I'd argue that it's more impressive in a year where the biggest multi platform game of the gen launched, along with two of the biggest exclusive IP's this gen (which sold in record numbers), and Fortnite (which the Switch didn't get until midway through the year) the Switch (with a less impressive 2018 software wise than 2017) will manage to outsell the biggest console of the gen.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Should be noted that PS4 would have likely taken top spot in revenue if there wasn't constraint supply. Sony was fine with what they shipped.

Not really. Supply was constraint because of the $199 Spiderman Ps4. There was all the demand that wasn't fulfilled.
Meanwhile Switch was selling at $299. So Sony needs to sell 3 Ps4 at that price to match 2 Switch.

To be fair there were pre Black Friday sales and some Ps4 Pro at $399 were also sold, but the unit gap was very small.
Switch was roughly 35% of all hardware $ spend this month.
While the rest of 65% is split between Xbox One, Ps4, 3DS, classic consoles and legacy consoles.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's all about perspective. I'd argue it's just as impressive that despite a lacklustre overall lineup this year and no movement on price the switch will come close to matching the PS4's best ever year in its second year.

Truth be told both the PS4 and switch are huge successes and represent an incredible turnaround for both companies from last gen.
Uh...last gen for Nintendo is the Wii.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
It LITERALLY says that:

That first and second sentence was a late edit.