• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
But with similar stock, why did supply become a non-issue faster for PS4 than it did for PS5.

This isn't hard to understand people. PS5 is in higher demand than PS4 in the same timeframe. They had almost the exact same stock allocation and PS5 sold out while PS4 didn't.
No they didn't. It would be literally impossible to have both the same stock allocation while PS4 having a glut of supply. What they have is the same sales. PS4 got its supply out faster which causes the FOMO effect to decline.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
No they didn't. It would be literally impossible to have both the same stock allocation while PS4 having a glut of supply. What they have is the same sales. PS4 got its supply out faster which causes the FOMO effect to decline.
Sorry, but you're just flat out wrong. PS5 had a bigger initial shipment than PS4.

comicbook.com

PlayStation 5 Has Become the Fastest Selling Console in U.S. History

It's no secret that the PlayStation 4 was a massive hit for Sony with the console selling over 110 [...]

If PS5 sold faster, how did PS4 get it's supply out faster? You guys are coming with the most ridiculous arguments ever.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but you're just flat out wrong. PS5 had a bigger initial shipment than PS4.

comicbook.com

PlayStation 5 Has Become the Fastest Selling Console in U.S. History

It's no secret that the PlayStation 4 was a massive hit for Sony with the console selling over 110 [...]

If PS5 sold faster, how did PS4 get it's supply out faster? You guys are coming with the most ridiculous arguments ever.
And yet every month since, it's fallen behind. We know the PS5 is now behind launch aligned WW and that's even with Japan having a later and bigger launch in the case of PS4.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

Glut of supply? What? They've had almost the exact same level of supply for the first year.

As of October:

PS5 - 13.4m
PS4 - 13.5m

You're talking about a difference of a hundred thousand units.

You guys are coming with the most ridiculous arguments ever.

It's laughable. I feel like I'm trying to explain 2+2=4 and people are going "no you can't prove that!"

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Glut of supply? What? They've had almost the exact same level of supply for the first year.
Ah so you accept they have almost the same level of demand.
If the sales are the same and supply is the same, the only objective numbers we have is to say demand is roughly the same.

Question from a noob: Why do dollar sales matter?

I think for popularity what matters is units sold

For company success units sold + profits (which means margin)
The argument is that the revenue tells a more accurate story as far as the success of a game is concerned, because as far as retail is concerned, selling 500k of a title with an ASP of $60 is a much better prospect than selling a million copies of another title at a $20 ASP. The latter has sold more, but has generated far less money as a result.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

As of October:

PS5 - 13.4m
PS4 - 13.5m

You're talking about a difference of a hundred thousand units.

It's laughable. I feel like I'm trying to explain 2+2=4 and people are going "no you can't prove that!"
Yeah we're just being trolled at this point. If they wanna keep arguing that 2 and 2 somehow makes 5, fine. But I'm done. Logic, evidence and actual sales numbers seem to have no impact so it's just a pointless back and forth.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Yes if you have zero critical thinking skills whatsoever then I can see how you would come to a conclusion like that
So you admit you have no numbers backing your assertion just gut feelings.

so far, all I've seen a jump to conclusions based on how they chose to stock up on supply for launch so they could beat previous metrics since the first 6 months are typically when demand is highest due to FOMO. PS4 held the title of the highest selling console in 6 months while switch held the highest selling console in 12 months. Yet, you wouldn't say PS4 had more demand than the Switch.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019
So magical numbers to measure demand.

There is no magical numbers, the numbers will be release every 3 months on the FY report but the demand is there if you believe or not, doesnt matter, you are wrong in every single level and once the fy report for this year and the next year will come out you will be wrong.

So, at this point, it is just a matter of time for you to realize or not, that you just made up a bunch of random stantements to be wrong in the end.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
There is no magical numbers, the numbers will be release every 3 months on the FY report but the demand is there if you believe or not, doesnt matter, you are wrong in every single level and once the fy report for this year and the next year will come out you will be wrong.

So, at this point, it is just a matter of time for you to realize or not, that you just made up a bunch of random stantements to be wrong in the end.
Based on GAP in November sales between PS4 2014 and PS5 2021, the PS4's going to pull more ahead (substantially so by 300-400k or more and likely the same with December. Based on XS being #2, the difference between PS4 and PS5 in the US would be about 600k). And if it can't show more sales, what would the FY report provide?

even if it turns out that despite the sales we know from the major markets are accounted for in shipments to smaller markets, you still end up with an unprovable claim of more demand as all you've proven is PS5 could achieve PS4 sales with a different country allocation split. It doesn't prove more demand.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019
Based on GAP in November sales between PS4 2014 and PS5 2021, the PS4's going to pull more ahead (substantially so by 300-400k or more and likely the same with December. Based on XS being #2, the difference between PS4 and PS5 in the US would be about 600k). And if it can't show more sales, what would the FY report provide?

They expect to ship the same ammout of consoles that in the ps4 and they already secure the chips, so at this moment there is no real reasson to believe otherwise and on top of that, they expect to sell 22M+ on the fy 2022.

But that is not even the point, the point is the argument been made here that there is no more demand for the ps5 that the ps4 in the same time frame and what ever the reason ones belives(FOMO or whatever) the reality is their is more demand for the ps5 and that is indeed a fact. We are comparing a console that sells out in min compare to one where you could walk in a store and buy one, so at this point it is your choice to believe it or not.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
They expect to ship the same ammout of consoles that in the ps4 and they already secure the chips, so at this moment there is no real reasson to believe otherwise and on top of that, they expect to sell 22M+ on the fy 2022.

But that is not even the point, the point is the argument been made here that there is no more demand for the ps5 that the ps4 in the same time frame and what ever the reason ones belives(FOMO or whatever) the reality is their is more demand for the ps5 and that is indeed a fact. We are comparing a console that sells out in min compare to one where you could walk in a store and buy one, so at this point it is your choice to believe it or not.
You've still not given any numbers to back it up. Just anecdotes. Anecdotes are not measurable numbers. We know PS5 sold around 400-600k less than PS4 in its second November in the US (PS4 was around 1M, we know switch sold 1.13 M and that's greater than PS5 + XS combined and we know XS sold more than PS5 capping PS5 at 565k)

Oct 25, 2017
México

Please stop.

Provide factual evidence if you want to be taken seriously. So far you have provided nothing but wishful thinking, and people here have provided factual evidence that the PS5 is selling less than the PS4. That's it.

Jan 20, 2019
You've still not given any numbers to back it up. Just anecdotes. Anecdotes are not measurable numbers. We know PS5 sold around 400-600k less than PS4 in its second November in the US (PS4 was around 1M, we know switch sold 1.13 M and that's greater than PS5 + XS combined and we know XS sold more than PS5 capping PS5 at 565k)

The official numbers are 13.5M PS4 and 13.4M PS5, you will get more official numbers in the end of Jan, that is been told many times.
But like i said, it is your choise to believe or not that the ps5 has more demand that the ps4, since you dont want to believe, im not going to lose more time here, everything that had to said has said.

Please stop.

Provide factual evidence if you want to be taken seriously. So far you have provided nothing but wishful thinking, and people here have provided factual evidence that the PS5 is selling less than the PS4. That's it.

The evidence was already provided, not going to lose more time here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question from a noob: Why do dollar sales matter?

I think for popularity what matters is units sold

For company success units sold + profits (which means margin)
So, for games, it matters because the revenue is units sold multiplied by how much each unit sold for. Obviously, you get more money selling a game at $60 than $20. With the advent of digital (and digital sales' inclusion in these charts), it helps keep the charts from being overrun by whatever game is cheap on sale this month.

For hardware, it's probably more for consistency with software, but I would agree that the dollar sales are useless for consoles. (Does make the Switch leading in dollar sales year to date look even more impressive, considering that it has a lower price than the PS5)

Jun 17, 2018
This demand debate is silly. Lots of "don't read into the launch sales" energy. Yeah maybe PS5 sales fall off a cliff next year but that has nothing to do with demand today. My wife's aunt just spent $2400 to buy 2 PS5s for her two sons. I'm 39 my coworkers are still shocked I was able to get a retail PS5. PS5 isn't some hardcore gamer driven supply demand problem.
I would like a word with your aunt

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
If a Switch Pro was happening, the OLED model wouldn't exist.

I don't see how the OLED Switch negates the Pro. I'm sure the Pro will have the same OLED screen as well.

What this implies is that Nintendo has a new screen manufacturer contract and you will eventually see the older LCD model shipments get less and less

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't see how the OLED Switch negates the Pro. I'm sure the Pro will have the same OLED screen as well.

What this implies is that Nintendo has a new screen manufacturer contract and you will eventually see the older LCD model shipments get less and less
Because if there was another model coming soon after, why bother releasing the other one right now? The more likely scenario is that the next hardware release is a Switch 2 rather than a Switch Pro.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if there was a recent resupply but every single Best Buy around me has Switch OLED in stock at the store. SoCal so there's like 15+ Best Buys around in a small radius.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
So you admit you have no numbers backing your assertion just gut feelings.

Common sense my guy.

Again, the last official shipment numbers we got from Sony as of October:

PS4 - 13.5m (no longer supply constrained at this point, demand has stabilized and anyone can buy a PS4 whenever)
PS5 - 13.4m (massively supply constrained, every unit sells out in seconds, extremely difficult for anyone to acquire a PS5)

This is where those aforementioned critical thinking skills come into play. If you're genuinely incapable of looking at the context behind these numbers and figuring out which of these two products have higher demand then I don't know what to tell you. This is one of the single stupidest arguments I've ever had on this forum.

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Ah so you accept they have almost the same level of demand.
If the sales are the same and supply is the same, the only objective numbers we have is to say demand is roughly the same.
What an awful fucking argument lmao. The shipments being similar is 100% only because of the factual wafer shortages.

PS5 was also selling faster than PS4 as of July. PS5 hit 10M sold through in July, PS4 in August, despite similar shipments.

PS5 would sell more if units were available. Every major retailer in the US does not have a steady supply of PS5 readily available today. PS4 had around 1.7M unsold units at the end of 2014.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because if there was another model coming soon after, why bother releasing the other one right now? The more likely scenario is that the next hardware release is a Switch 2 rather than a Switch Pro.
this wouldn't be a connundrum if you combined the Pro and 2 into the same device

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
Common sense my guy.

Again, the last official numbers we got from Sony as of October:

PS4 - 13.5m (no longer supply constrained at this point, demand has stabilized and anyone can buy a PS4 whenever)
PS5 - 13.4m (massively supply constrained, every unit sells out in seconds, extremely difficult for anyone to acquire a PS5)

This is where those aforementioned critical thinking skills come into play. If you're genuinely incapable of looking at the context behind these numbers and figuring out which of these two products have higher demand then I don't know what to tell you. This is one of the single stupidest arguments I've ever had on this forum.

The most common sense argument in here but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading some of these "analyses"

Both the XSX and PS5 would be doing much much better than they are if Microsoft and Sony can produce more machines. Bottom line, that's it. No super mega conspiracy.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That is absolutely insane - a) why not one console between them and b) Jeebus, subscribe to some stock notifications and save literally thousands..
I don't agree with it but no wonder people are scalping if people are willing to pay that kind of money.

Long story but they are both adults now and recently moved out. She thinks the gesture will get them to visit her more. She might not get the opposite will probably happen lol.

Edit: caught up with the thread. Feel like some just come back here to troll.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
How fast it sells? As of July PS5 was selling faster than PS4 by about a month.

PS5 shipments appear to continue to be lower than PS4 this holiday compared to 2014 but if sell through remains close to PS4 after one year then you can't deny demand is higher.

For future comparison, PS4 shipped 20.2M as of December 31, 2014. Sell through was 18.5M.
If PS5 ships less than 20M but is close to or even exceeds 18.5M sold through, that's it. Demand is higher.
is sell through even as of November? I'm reading through the last few pages and it's a bit dizzying. But seems like it sold less this month than last year based on the lower Switch sales and both Series X/S and PS5 combined being less than the Switch total. so if we split the difference and give Xbox a narrow edge based on Matt's tweet? 500k PS5 November?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
is sell through even as of November? I'm reading through the last few pages and it's a bit dizzying. But seems like it sold less this month than last year based on the lower Switch sales and both Series X/S and PS5 combined being less than the Switch total. so if we split the difference and give Xbox a narrow edge based on Matt's tweet? 500k PS5 November?
No but that's because the thing is completely sold out.

That's the thing. No store is selling the PS5 right now. Like as we type, not being sold. Production has limited what Sony can sell. It's like arguing if the Wii had 200K additional units every month for the first two years it wouldn't have sold them, only what it originally sold.

No, the Wii would've sold that additional 200K every month. If the PS5 had double the units available in November, it would've sold every unit.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
I still say it would mostly wash out with all things being equal. The ps4 sold ~13.5 million its first 11 months…the ps5 has sold ~13.4 million it's first 11 months.

One could argue the ps5 could be at 17 million now if it weren't for the scalping and inability to find them on shelves most of the year…but I just disagree. It would probably be around the same thing. 13-14 million. Just because the ps5 sold faster the first 6 months than the ps4 does not mean it would have the second 6 months.

I could easily argue that the reason the ps5 uptake was so strong that first 6 months compared to the ps4 was BECAUSE of the shortage anxieties and the scalper market. It being indefinite caused the early adopter market to get units as soon as they possibly could cause there was no gaurantee it would ever be easy later on for quite awhile.

But that still doesn't definitively say much greater demand compared to previous consoles. Even if you want to say there could be 2-3 million more ps5's sold right now if Sony had shipped that much…sure it's possible, but it's fast uptake the first year would still be based on the anxiety of not being able to get one for a couple of years because of perceived indefinite taxi shortages…so you don't wait like you normally do. It's not that it was in much greater demand at launch to play the games available on it. The software sales so far don't reflect that.

Eh, I really didn't plan on trying to argue this so much lol. Just that it's too early to say what the actual overall consumer demand for these pieces of tech are right now. To many unusual circumstances affecting different markets right now. Just disagree with people that say it's "obvious" how great demand is for these $500 gaming consoles.
To go through your points:

1. "Just because the ps5 sold faster the first 6 months than the ps4 does not mean it would have the second 6 months." - There's no guarantee but its a logical assumption to make. Far more logical than thinking the PS5 would suddenly start selling slower than the PS4

2. "I could easily argue that the reason the ps5 uptake was so strong that first 6 months compared to the ps4 was BECAUSE of the shortage anxieties and the scalper market" - That's not an easy argument at all. The scalper market does not cause high demand, it is a result of high demand. The existence of the scalper market is evidence that demand for PS5 is high

3. "first year would still be based on the anxiety of not being able to get one for a couple of years" - The situation is unlikely to be worse in 2023. If someone is fine waiting a couple of years to get a PS5, why would a shortage make them want to get them sooner?

4. "It's not that it was in much greater demand at launch to play the games available on it. The software sales so far don't reflect that" - How are you using software sales to judge hardware demand in this case?

I think it is highly highly unlikely that demand was PS5 in November was less than 600,000. It was probably noticeably more.

Last edited:

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017

Price?

What would Nintendo look to price a switch Pro at? $349-$399?

Wouldn't this cannibalize the Switch Oled as can't see them with plans to drop the price of that model for a long long time if at all.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
How fast it sells? As of July PS5 was selling faster than PS4 by about a month.

And we've discussed the reasons why arguably that is. Reasons that weren't around in 2013/2014

Look, I know in the technical black/white terms of economics it's labeled "high demand" when coupled with low supply…but I still say context is important. Especially in discussions like this when we have very definite expections of meaning when we say "one console was in more demand than another"

Again, it would be disingenuous to suggest that in 1973 people suddenly became more interested in consuming gas in their cars than they were in 1972. And then point to people waiting hours in line for gas and how much gas was sold in 1973/1974 and say people are just more interested in gasoline now.

PS5 shipments appear to continue to be lower than PS4 this holiday compared to 2014 but if sell through remains close to PS4 after one year then you can't deny demand is higher.

For future comparison, PS4 shipped 20.2M as of December 31, 2014. Sell through was 18.5M.
If PS5 ships less than 20M but is close to or even exceeds 18.5M sold through, that's it. Demand is higher.

I can deny demand is higher. It could be, but it's still hard to say definitively.

What I can say definitively is that demand for a $500 ps5 or a $500 Series X is not being met yet. And there are reasons why that is.

You can EASILY buy a ps5 right this second if you really wanted to pay ~$800 for it.

I think people are overestimating the number of people who REALLY desperately needed/wanted a ps5/Series X in 2021 who haven't gotten one/won't get one in 2021. I don't think it's that high. I think people are seriously underestimating how strong the 3rd party selling market is right now and will be this holiday. Most people are just fine waiting till the ps5/Series X is $100-$200 cheaper. Like always.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring; History of the Same
The demand for the ps5 is higher that the ps4, there is no what if and what not, it is higher.

Why, because sales were faster in the beginning?

I argue if there was no scalper/bot market/shortage anxieties and $500 ps5's were easily found on shelves and by retailers by Jan/Feb…it wouldn't have sold any faster.

I'm not saying this is ABSOLUTELY the case. But I am saying why it's ok to be skeptical about actual demand right now just based on how fast the uptake these machine have seen their first ~8 months.

What sales? Are you using the data in japan and aplly to the rest of the world? Because we already got confirmation that the ps5 softwares sales are higher that the ps4 in the same time frame.

Yes, just because we have hard numbers there to compare. Software sales on the ps4 in Japan were far far better with the same install base than the ps5.

Can you link me to the ps5 software sales confirmation you are referring to?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
What I don't understand is if you know so little about sales why you would be so argumentative. When you have this many people including one of the most knowledgeable on this subject on this forum telling you you're wrong, maybe a little introspection is in order?

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
I'm not saying what the actual demand is, I'm just saying its higher than PS4 and enough to put up better than Gamecube level numbers for this November. Up until this month, PS5 has been outpacing PS4 and has been consistently sold out while PS4 wasn't. It was factually in higher demand.

Being consistently sold out at normal retailers so far in 2021 is more about there still being too many people willing to pay $700-$1000 for a ps5.

If the conditions we see now were exactly the same in 2013/2014, you would have seen pretty much the exact same thing with the way the ps4 sold.

Right now it's more about market condition differences than it is about the product.

This is the one month where PS4 finally took the lead due to the shortage of during the holiday and people are acting like PS5 wouldn't have sold anything this month if the stock was there. It's honestly a bit silly to take such a stance.

I don't think anyone is saying any of these companies…Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony…wouldn't have sold through whatever they were able to ship in November.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
What's weird is that the PS4 was so lucky to escape being scalped because that's only a recent, bot led development according to many in here. Strange then that the Wii, that released I think before before the PS4.....was scalped for literally two years straight in the same way the PS5 is being now.

Maybe the resellers fell asleep for the PS4 - the only other explanation would be less demand - which we are told isn't the case - or much higher supply - which we also know is not the case.

What a conundrum

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Being consistently sold out at normal retailers so far in 2021 is more about there still being too many people willing to pay $700-$1000 for a ps5.

If the conditions we see now were exactly the same in 2013/2014, you would have seen pretty much the exact same thing with the way the ps4 sold.

Right now it's more about market condition differences than it is about the product.

I don't think anyone is saying any of these companies…Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony…wouldn't have sold through whatever they were able to ship in November.
This doesn't make any sense. If there are a bunch of people willing to spend 700-1000 for a PS5, surely they're willing to spend 500 if they were able to find one for MSRP. I don't see how the system is somehow in less demand because people are willing to spend more.

Last edited:

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
The most common sense argument in here but I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading some of these "analyses"

Both the XSX and PS5 would be doing much much better than they are if Microsoft and Sony can produce more machines. Bottom line, that's it. No super mega conspiracy.
Yeah, this has been a trip to read LOL. Sometimes you have to take 10 steps back and just get a common sense take on a situation.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make any sense. If there are a bunch of people willing to spend 700-1000 for a PS5, surely they're willing to spend 500 if they were able to find one for MSRP. I don't see how the system is somehow in less demand because people are willing to spend more.
Nobody said it can't be proven there's equal demand. It just can't be proven there's more demand. We don't have the prerequisite factors to prove. There's no numbers that suggest more demand. Switch had more demand than PS4 in its first year but that didn't become obvious til more than 12 months in when they had both had reached 12 months. As it is, PS5 sales for November and December in the US will be about 50% of PS4 comparing the same time period due to low supply not allowing us to actually see demand. It's making an unprovable assertion and quite potentially wrong assertion based on anecdotes.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody said it can't be proven there's equal demand. It just can't be proven there's more demand. We don't have the prerequisite factors to prove. There's no numbers that suggest more demand. Switch had more demand than PS4 in its first year but that didn't become obvious til more than 12 months in when they had both had reached 12 months. As it is, PS5 sales for November and December in the US will be about 50% of PS4 comparing the same time period due to low supply not allowing us to actually see demand. It's making an unprovable assertion and quite potentially wrong assertion based on anecdotes.
My bad, I only meant to quote the other guy.

I'm going to just agree to disagree with you.