• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Previously, it was the fastest-selling title in the series but it now has become the best-selling in the franchise's 17-year history. Kingdom Hearts 3 was the first mainline entry in the series since Kingdom Hearts 2 released in 2006. Between that time, publisher Square Enix released entries in the series such as 358/2 Days, Birth By Sleep, and Dream Drop Distance

Source: https://www.dualshockers.com/kingdom-hearts-3-best-selling-game-franchise-history/

I'd say 8-10m lifetime. Very good achievement for square enix

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's also the best game in the series, even though past games had a few cool FF cameos and some iconic challenges, level by level KH 3 is just more fun. Going back to past games the levels feel like boxes, and 3 has some really cool shit like the mini open world for the carrabean and San Fransokyo.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Btw it's amazing how Japanese devs made such huge comeback in NA. From Capcom with MH and RE and DMC5 to SE with FF and KH and Nier to Sega with Yakuza and Sonic ,they r shooting on all cylinders and I m loving it .

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I had some really angry guy on Twitter going off on me the other day because I said my last remaining Smash dream character is Sora. As a Geno fan, he said, he and his ilk had waited too long, that Geno was more relevant, was more deserving, has more of a legacy (eh...?), all the usual stuff. But he didn't stop there. More than that, he said, Sora is just some generic shitty anime kid who only appeals to weeaboos. He continued: No one likes Kingdom Hearts anymore, get with the program loser, everyone agrees KH III was a colossal failure critically and sales-wise, only weeaboos try to defend it. Blah, blah, blah.

Now I'm kinda wishing I hadn't muted him. Linking him to this would've been hilarious. :D

By the way, I'd be super happy for Geno fans if he ever actually made it in. I told him that, too. He didn't return the sentiment!

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Btw it's amazing how Japanese devs made such huge comeback in NA. From Capcom with MH and RE and DMC5 to SE with FF and KH and Nier to Sega with Yakuza and Sonic ,they r shooting on all cylinders and I m loving it .

Japan makes games that fit their vision instead of chasing Western trends, and their efforts are rewarded. Bravo!

I'm very much looking forward to what they can produce next gen.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Last gen was dominated by western studios, but Japanese devs definitely stepped their game up this gen and made incredible games throughout the entire gen and it pays off. Hopefully this carries to next gen too.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's also the best game in the series, even though past games had a few cool FF cameos and some iconic challenges, level by level KH 3 is just more fun. Going back to past games the levels feel like boxes, and 3 has some really cool shit like the mini open world for the carrabean and San Fransokyo.
It's not my favourite, but I had a fab time with it and am very glad it did well for them. Few things make me as happy as Kingdom Hearts.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well it is multi plat now right?

I'm curious to see the distribution, but my gut says it'd still be overwhelmingly PS4 which would still make beating the LTD of the other games quite impressive imo considering it's been 6 monthsish versus like at least 13 years for the others.

KH3 had issues, and I might currently prefer KH2FM(which kind of isn't fair since 2FM is the game I go back to the most and constantly to replay), but I'm glad it did well. It did a lot of things right, and I'm super stoked for the DLC.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Glad it did well. I'm playing through it now, but honestly something feels off about it. Not enjoying it as much as I have other KH games.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I have mixed feeling about 3 but I am glad the franchise is doing well and I am glad it can move forward.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Glad it did well. I'm playing through it now, but honestly something feels off about it. Not enjoying it as much as I have other KH games.
The whole narrative is being bogged down by the setup DDD left it on plus it doesn't even do particularly good job with the shitty hand it was dealt.

Also the game was way, way too braindead easy on launch. Can't comment on the Critical Mode added later since I'm waiting for the DLC to hit before trying it out.

aLoneWalker

Attempted to create multiple alt accounts
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
It is clear sales don't reflect quality. Not always at least.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
That's nice that they took the concept seriously back then. IGN walked out after the Q&A back when the project was first announced (the conference was still going), so Nomura probably appreciated someone putting some effort in to their conversation.

I'll be honest

I didn't take it seriously either and thought it was gonna be bad and fail

17 years later....and it's in my top 5 fav franchises.

I played almost every version of every game released (and playing through 1.5+2.5 right now with 2.8 next) - just got kh3 last week from amazon

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest

I didn't take it seriously either and thought it was gonna be bad and fail

17 years later....and it's in my top 5 fav franchises.

I played almost every version of every game released (and playing through 1.5+2.5 right now with 2.8 next) - just got kh3 last week from amazon
That's fair, but for Nomura's first directing gig, and one that wasn't being taken seriously, I'm sure he appreciated this one person taking him and his work seriously when others like IGN weren't.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! The game was really fun, though I still like KH2 FM better. Still haven't played the Critical mode or any new additions they may have done since lunch

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really great game. However the pacing is just plain bad. No reason to leave the major story sections about certain characters till so late in the game.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Nomura smokes? This is the first time I have ever seen him smoking.
JBzLqyk.jpg

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
There were so many people who were literally getting off to the idea of this game crashing and burning.

Glad it did not! I don't know yet how I rank it among the other games in the series but it's a worthy successor to 1 and 2, at any rate.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy the series seems to sell better than ever. KH3 has its share of problems but I've still enjoyed it enough to give it 7 playthroughs thus far. Definitely looking forward to the future of the series from here on out.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I felt the same way to me the issue was the majority of the game is really poorly paced. The Disney worlds, for the most part, have no relevance to the main narrative so going through the world's was such a slog.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Any idea of the actual numbers? (including other entries in the series)

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
It was a flawed game, but one that I found enjoyment with.

I'm just glad this means we can expect more KH in the future.