• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 20, 2020
It's insane the momentum they've sustained since 2017. Absolutely bonkers. But of course if you peek into the Steam Deck thread you'll read that they should be shaking in their boots. 🙄
Theyre not shaking in their boots, but the good thing about competition is that the switch is a terrible piece of hardware we accepted since its the only option. As fans of gaming we should hope the steam deck takes off so that it can pressure nintendo into producing hardware that doesnt run flagship games at 25fps.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I'm sure this will be controversial, but those Ratchet and Clank numbers just seem decent to me.

"More than double" while costing nearly twice as much and being tracked for longer is like, maybe 10-25% unit growth? That's not terrible, but with it possibly being Sony's biggest first party release of the year and the most marketed next-gen release so far the title was clearly being pushed far more than the 2016 release, which was a budget title released shortly before Uncharted 4.

The series basically went from a relatively quiet B release (or A or whatever you want to call it) to a marquee AAA release and saw only small unit growth.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's a successful result. It's good enough, but I don't know that it's particularly encouraging to the franchise's future as a AAA series. Maybe the higher pricepoint offsets it enough to keep investing in it and pushing it as a big title, maybe they try something new to try and draw in a bigger audience, or maybe they regulate it down to a smaller release and call it good. IDK.

I would say legs would tell us more, but the title is heavily bundled in Europe and I think it will be bundled in the US by year's end. It'll be hard to judge lifetime sales when bundles are included.

Oct 12, 2020
It's a clear 'who ships - wins' for now, but I'm really happy to see Xbox numbers. We need a healthy no. 2 on a home console market.

Also it is obvious that MS allocated supply mostly to US, because XSX/XSS drops in Europe are rare and you can easily find XSS on the shelves.

That runs counter to generally accepted view that Sony has focused on North America with their stock allocation while Xbox has tried to spread things out globally compared to what they have done in the past. This is a really good sign for Microsoft to be in this position this early in the generation and I only see this continuing unless they drop the ball. Sony and Nintendo impressive as per usual. Got to admit it though….I don't really understand how Nintendo does it. After GameCube I was OUT, and have remained out since. 🤷‍♂️

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure this will be controversial, but those Ratchet and Clank numbers just seem decent to me.

"More than double" while costing nearly twice as much and being tracked for longer is like, maybe 10-25% unit growth? That's not terrible, but with it possibly being Sony's biggest first party release of the year and the most marketed next-gen release so far the title was clearly being pushed far more than the 2016 release, which was a budget title released shortly before Uncharted 4.

The series basically went from a relatively quiet B release (or A or whatever you want to call it) to a marquee AAA release and saw only small unit growth.

Don't get me wrong, I do think it's a successful result. It's good enough, but I don't know that it's particularly encouraging to the franchise's future as a AAA series. Maybe the higher pricepoint offsets it enough to keep investing in it and pushing it as a big title, maybe they try something new to try and draw in a bigger audience, or maybe they regulate it down to a smaller release and call it good. IDK.

I would say legs would tell us more, but the title is heavily bundled in Europe and I think it will be bundled in the US by year's end. It'll be hard to judge lifetime sales when bundles are included.
Install base should definitely be taken into account.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy to see that Ratchet performed so well. I enjoyed that game immensely and hope we see something more like PS3 era output for the franchise. Or at least more than 1 game.

Jul 2, 2021

The 2016 Ratchet & Clank game was Insomniac's most successful game before they made Spider-Man on PS4. Rift Apart doubling R&C 2016's launch month dollar sales is pretty good.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Install base should definitely be taken into account.
Yes but software sales are also pretty strong early in the generation. Plus Ratchet 2016 was, as I said, a much smaller budget title released just before Uncharted 4, whereas this year Rift Apart is positioned as the big title.

It would be different if it was releasing a few months before Horizon, or if there were other big titles nearby, but this is the marquee PS5 title for now.

Certainly there is a lot of variance to consider, including install base, but I'm not entirely confident Sony wasn't hoping for more franchise growth.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
An to think, Xbox hasn't even really shown its true form yet, wait until all the studios start dropping consistently, future is crazy bright 😳

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
All three doing well. Nintendo's success is crazy. Xbox strategy with the X and S validated (and will get stronger once Halo, Forza, Starfield launches.) PS5 strong as usual and selling as many as they can make.

Choose your platform, choose a business model or better, choose all 3.

(This of course doesnt even take into account PC gaming which is as strong as ever)

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's great when taken into account that the PS4 had a much bigger install base, the PS5 is still supply constrained and Ratchet 2016 was a cheap game in comparison.

Sep 7, 2020
An to think, Xbox hasn't even really shown its true form yet, wait until all the studios start dropping consistently, future is crazy bright 😳
I don't think they will sell more this generation than PS5 but it is crazy to think that if they can deliver on their first-party content and get some publishing deals.... Damn that would be huge for them, in addition to day one gamepass third-party deals.

Feb 9, 2018
Interesting. Definite rebound in weekly average revenue for hardware.

Assuming an ARP of $300 for the 360 in June 2011, then at 507k units the 360 grossed $152.1M. Assuming an ARP of, say, $450 for the XBS (which further assumes a 3:1 split in favor of the Series X), then it may have sold somewhere on the order of 340k, probably more. Even if it was 100% Series X sales, we're still looking at at least 304k. Of course, it's possible that the 360's APR wasn't $300, as it did have a $200 4GB SKU. Assuming an ARP of $280 for the 360 (4:1 in the $300 250GB SKU's favor) would have meant a revenue total of $141.96M, which would in turn mean a floor of 284k for the XBS. Still, odds are we're looking at at least 300k for the month for the XBS.

Given the remaining revenue, I could see a possible HW sales split for June that looks something like this:

NSW: 475k ($130.6M @ $275/unit)
XBS: 345k ($155.25M @ $450/unit)
PS5: 242k ($114.95M @ $475/unit)
Total: 1062k ($400.8M)

Of course, there is a huge margin of error here as it makes a lot of assumptions regarding not just overall platform splits but also SKU splits, so these estimates are ballpark at best, something plausible but probably not the actuals. It would still be congruent with the other tidbits regarding hardware. We could play around with the numbers and still get to the ~$401M revenue figure. For example, if the PS5 sold 300k at $475/unit, the XBS sold that 345k at $450/unit, and the Switch sold 413k at $250/unit, we'd still get to the same figure.

Still holding out hope for actual unit sales numbers some day. It's been so long.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Ya hell of a job by Uncle Phil and company, they're really going to apply pressure to PS which only means great things for us gamers. The future is bright y'all, and I couldn't be more excited.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The best recorded month for each month since the start of the PS4/XB1 generation is :

January : #1 Switch
February :#1 Switch
March : #1 Switch
April : #1 Switch
May : #1 Switch
June : #1 Switch (since at least 10% over last year)
July : #1 Switch
August : #1 Switch
September : #1 Switch
October : #1 Switch
November : #1 PS4
December : #1 Switch

The PS4 crown in November will be very tough to take tho (1,69m with the 200$ PS4 during BF).

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
fdf.gif

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The contrast in the home console market in the US v Japan is staggering. Home console market in the US has never been healthier. In Japan it's practically dead ☠️ 💀

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The best recorded month for each month since the start of the PS4/XB1 generation is :

January : #1 Switch
February :#1 Switch
March : #1 Switch
April : #1 Switch
May : #1 Switch
June : #1 Switch (since at least 10% over last year)
July : #1 Switch
August : #1 Switch
September : #1 Switch
October : #1 Switch
November : #1 PS4
December : #1 Switch

The PS4 crown in November will be very tough to take tho (1,69m with the 200$ PS4 during BF).
Unlikely but who knows Nintendo might be a bit more aggressive in terms of Black Friday deals this year.

Who am i kidding...we are gonna get the same MK8 bundle for 299 xD

The contrast in the home console market in the US v Japan is staggering. Home console market in the US has never been healthier. In Japan it's practically dead ☠ 💀
Weird definition of dead considering the Switch hw numbers. Homeconsoles never sold more.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The contrast in the home console market in the US v Japan is staggering. Home console market in the US has never been healthier. In Japan it's practically dead ☠ 💀
The Switch is doing pretty damn great in Japan.

And no it is not simply a portable, it is an hybrid and it takes some concessions to get there. It is even tracked as a console on NPD.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Theyre not shaking in their boots, but the good thing about competition is that the switch is a terrible piece of hardware we accepted since its the only option. As fans of gaming we should hope the steam deck takes off so that it can pressure nintendo into producing hardware that doesnt run flagship games at 25fps.
It's a nice dream, but the Steam Deck isn't going to affect the Switch at all.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's a nice dream, but the Steam Deck isn't going to affect the Switch at all.
People will twist the reality so it fits their narrative - nothing new.
Now Switch isnt a home console, because otherwise you can call the console market dead in Japan. And the massive mainstream audience of the Switch will stop being interested in MK8, RFA and BotW and co. because Valve released a 400-600€ portable PC.

Let alone the fact that the device doesnt come with a Dock or detachable controllers. Yeah, sounds like a Switch "Killer" to me.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely but who knows Nintendo might be a bit more aggressive in terms of Black Friday deals this year.

Who am i kidding...we are gonna get the same MK8 bundle for 299 xD

Weird definition of dead considering the Switch hw numbers. Homeconsoles never sold more.

Don't be ridiculous. It will be MK8 with an OLED for 349. 😂

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019

$70 is not double $40. Plus Rift Apart will have stronger legs. Add the much less install base and it's a great result.

Oct 27, 2017
Weren't people just basing that on JP sales?

Game seems to be doing great in the west, very glad to see that, game's fun as fuck.

There were two different threads saying "I think this different cover art outside of Japan is why it didn't sell well," when like, the game was out for barely two weeks.

But agreed, game is wildly fun and hope we can get a sequel with more playable characters and abilities. I'm down for the Tales team having a character action series to work on between entries.