• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
PlayStation 5 did better than I expected, and the Switch continues to do its thing!

Always nice to see a single exclusive game in Miles Morales going up against big multi-format ones like Call of Duty: Cold War and Assassin's Creed Valhalla too.

My condolences to those who were so confident that Xbox Series X/S would come second in the predictions thread ... 🙈

Seems like all three are doing well in the US of A.

I do wonder how many more units the PlayStation 5 (both the disc and digital system) and Xbox Series X would have accumulated if stock wasn't quite as big an issue as it now.

Gotta wonder how big of a share Nintendo has on the Just Dance franchise at this point; 90%?

The Just Dance series is probably closer to 95% than 90% (on a Nintendo system) if you ask me ... 💃🏼

God of War Ragnarok this year would be pointless with how the PS5 is selling (not to say it would be even ready).

There's no need for the team at Santa Monica Studio to rush things when they don't even currently require this game to sell anybody on a PlayStation 5.

Quite happy with Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West this year.

Last edited:

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
What was Switch HW in January 2020? ~270k I guess?! So Switch would have a 50% YoY increase already.

Oct 31, 2017
😬 Cyberpunk 2077 fell like a rock.

Seems PS5 is doing really well as expected. They would do even better if they had more stock.

Nice to see Spiderman Miles Morales performed well and Ghost of Tsushima is still going strong.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
It's Revenue Ratio (which includes Nintendo Subs + DLC + MTX + Nintendo Online) Check in the digital Slide on 14.

If you calculate the Physical Revenue and Digital Devenue, youll get the true Physical:Digital Revenue Ratio for Full Software Titles and since Nintendo considers net Royalties only in the revenue front (which will be higher on Digital vs Physical), the unit ratio will favour physical more

AC has a high Digital Comparatively compared to rest of the Nintendo Titles due to insane sales around more
Ahhh, I see, right you are

Thank you for the correction

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Series S have been in stock at bestbuy canada for weeks now. Nobody wants that SKU even if it's the only thing you can buy. The X can't even be preordered except some short blip that go out quickly. They could probably have sold more consoles if they balanced the production more towards X volume.
Link? Can I get it shipped to the US, or do I need to ship it to a friend that lives there and then have them ship it to me? The S is all I want/need.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
PS5 Hardware Estimates

" highest dollar sales total for a January month since the Nintendo Wii in January 2009. "

Wii 2009: 679K * $250 = $169,750,000

PS5 is less than that

The next likely candidates for what PS5 surpassed is the following

Wii 2010: 466K
360 2011: 381K
PS4: 271K

Wii was at $199 in 2010, so the revenue would be $93.2M

3/5ths of 360 sales were Kinect bundles which sold for $299/$399 while non bundled S sales were either the 4GB $199 or 250GB $299. Taking the average MSRP for the Kinect bundles ($349) and standard SKU ($249) that puts revenue at $118.1M

PS4 revenue at $399 would be $108.4M

So the lowest PS5 revenue is at is $118M, but I'll put it at $120M, with the uper limit being $169M

If all units were $499, then the PS5 sold between 240K and 338K

If 80% of all units were $499 and the rest $399, then PS5 sold between 250K and 350K

If 70% of all units were $499 and the rest $399, then PS5 sold between 255K and 360K

Rolling 12 month top 10 best-selling titles in the U.S.
OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
EuCL817U0AEMxMv

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
How is it misleading? Those are the possible ranges, if PS5 was near the top of that range it just means Switch was also near the top of its range.

Because it counts with the MSRP regarding Wii 3 years after the launch maybe? I am sure that at that point while not common, it was still possible to find different sales for that platform already.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Not gonna lie, I'm very surprised by Tsushima sales. That's awesome for Sucker Punch.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The Series S have been in stock at bestbuy canada for weeks now. Nobody wants that SKU even if it's the only thing you can buy. The X can't even be preordered except some short blip that go out quickly. They could probably have sold more consoles if they balanced the production more towards X volume.
Link? Can I get it shipped to the US, or do I need to ship it to a friend that lives there and then have them ship it to me? The S is all I want/need.
Looks sold out to me..

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Alot of winners again and very strong start to the year. Love to see it.

BotW just won't stop chatting lol.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for me, the surprise game is Immortals Feynix Rising. never expected that to be second in the ubisoft 2020 trilogy

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
So 3 months in a row now PS5 has beat XSX in shipments to the U.S. Wonder if we will get the rationale of Sony focusing on the world and no stock drops again next prediction thread.

It was always hard to understand how Sony simultaneously sidelines the world supply for the U.S. while also not supplying the U.S. because they are focusing on world supply.

Good to see Demon Souls move up and Miles keeps on trucking.

BOTW will never die. Everyone I know who gets/wants a switch wants that game.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Wait a minute that's the 12 month chart? Miles jumped into the Top 10 of the year after releasing in November??

Shout out to Insomniac, they're going places with that niche Spider-Man license.

The fact that Insomniac are getting ready for another AAA title release as we speak...i swear Sony hit the jackpot with this acquisition.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Wait a minute that's the 12 month chart? Miles jumped into the Top 10 of the year after releasing in November??

Shout out to Insomniac, they're going places with that niche Spider-Man license.
It's the last 12 months, so february 2020 to january 2021 if I'm not wrong, but yeah, very impressive to say the least and even more considering it launched at $50.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Here's global sales through Dec 2020.

Wii peaked in Year 2. Switch has nearly matched this peak in year 4 with 1 quarter still to be counted. Trajectory is very clearly going to be different.

DHhrHV4.png

Yea the trajectory is definitely different and it's not going to drop off a cliff like Wii anytime soon. Nintendo stopped supporting the Wii, which helped expedite its drop. That doesn't seem to be the case at all and we haven't even mentioned price drops, revisions, etc... Nintendo would have to try to kill it off and even then it would sell better as long as there were units available.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Last year, the Wii SKU of Just Dance was the second best selling version, behind Switch, but ahead of Xbox One and PS4
www.resetera.com

Just Dance 2020 for the Wii debuts as the second best selling SKU (UK)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/11/just_dance_2020_sold_better_on_wii_than_ps4_or_xbox_one_in_its_opening_week_uk The Switch version accounted for 55% of sales, but going further in... Hope y’all are ready for Just Dance 2021 on the Wii.

Yeah I remember that, hilarious :P

The Just Dance series is probably closer to 95% than 90% (on a Nintendo system) if you ask me ... 💃🏼

That's probably true.. I was just throwing a number out there :P

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
There's no need for the team at Santa Monica Studio to rush things when they don't even currently require this game to sell anybody on a PlayStation 5.

Quite happy with Returnal, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Horizon Forbidden West this year.

Sony wouldn't rush the release of the next God of War. The last game took all the time necessary, to the point where Shawn Layden asked Cory Barlog when the game was releasing when they were on stage at PSX 2017 lol.

I'm all for games taking all the time they need, but the truth of the matter is that releases are strategic. And even if Sony had 3 flagship releases done at the end of the year they wouldn't be releasing all of them because it would not only crowd their and their partners schedules, but it would just do nothing for a console that cant stop being sold out.