• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Once more, I'm impressed that Era was able to attract everyone ever that bought a Wii U for how prevalent the thinking is that there's no additional audience out there for the games that system had. How many more Wii U ports will it take for them to realize that maybe no one wanted a Wii U for those game and said titles going on to sell considerably more on Switch, I wonder.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I did my part and bought KH3 on Xbox. Surprised RE2 sold more on XB1 though.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Fully expected RE2 to outsell KH3 given it's earlier release date. Guess people really wanted KH3. Wonder if KH3 has it in it to outsell the first game (which is still the highest selling by a wide margin).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Rankings don't prove anything either way. KH3 did over 1 million combined, so even an 80-20 split would give 200k units for XB1, probably enough for a top 2 rank in January. You can have lopsided splits and first place rankings. For Kh3, it will always be justifiable to bring the game to Xb1, since the appeal is big enough to find an audience, even if that audience is way smaller than the PS4 audience. Issues occur for smaller games like Tales and Vapour is Chronciles, where sales cannot reliably be expected to be above 100k/50k for the XB1 sku.

Exactly, your post had me think of this:

Sea Of Thieves was #6 best sell for Xbox but didn't even break top 20 for NPD.

I wonder where it did finished over all then.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Proving once again how superior New Super Mario Bros. U is to Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Bring on the ratio you cowards. The people have spoken.

Both are amazing platformers and I'm ecstatic both found further success on Switch! :D

Jan 17, 2019
KH3 is over 1m though.

Surprised KH 3 is that high for Xbox One.

kingdom hearts 3 being number 2 for xbox digital is absolutely fantastic........im amazed it charted so high and am really happy it did.

Wow at seeing KH3 (on Xbox) so high.

What's everyone's guess on the platform split for KH III?
Legit I think it's around 85/15-90/10
The fact that it's behind RE2 on Xbox speaks volumes.

Woah KH3 did great on Xbox

Fantastic achievement for that game

Top 10 Xbox One titles (January 2019)

1. Resident Evil 2 2019
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  4. Red Dead Redemption II
  5. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
  6. Sea Of Thieves
  7. NBA 2K19
  8. Battlefield V
  9. Madden NFL 19
  10. Grand Theft Auto V
Top 10 PS4 titles (January 2019)

1. Kingdom Hearts III
  2. Resident Evil 2 2019
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  4. Red Dead Redemption II
  5. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
  6. NBA 2K19
  7. Marvel's Spider-Man
  8. Grand Theft Auto V
  9. Madden NFL 19
  10. Battlefield V

...and people here are petulant enough to say how game genre X is or isn't suited to Xbox while month after month both consoles have the same Top 10.

Yeah, but if we use UK as a reference, the split for KH III and RE 2 is brutal in favour of PS4. I think it's fair to say that Xbox audience is oriented to some genres in more degree than Playstation audience.

Real good results for Japan games on X1.

Rankings for each platform doesn't mean game sold well on that platform, though. Saying that KH3 sold well on X1 just because that version is 2nd on X1 chart list is a spin actually if we look how split is big in PS4 favor ( reference taken from UK charts and from Benjis quote few weeks ago ).

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh my, the multiplatform split war has begun. You'd think for 3rd party multiplatform game console war can't be a problem, yet here we are.

Rankings don't prove anything either way. KH3 did over 1 million combined, so even an 80-20 split would give 200k units for XB1, probably enough for a top 2 rank in January. You can have lopsided splits and first place rankings. For Kh3, it will always be justifiable to bring the game to Xb1, since the appeal is big enough to find an audience, even if that audience is way smaller than the PS4 audience. Issues occur for smaller games like Tales and Vapour is Chronciles, where sales cannot reliably be expected to be above 100k/50k for the XB1 sku.
100k/50k is still good enough for a port though. Porting a PS4 game to XBOX One is not as difficult as you think. Especially in the case of ToV where Microsoft give support. As for VC4, I think every copy is important.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Fully expected RE2 to outsell KH3 given it's earlier release date. Guess people really wanted KH3. Wonder if KH3 has it in it to outsell the first game (which is still the highest selling by a wide margin).

Hasn't it already outsold vanilla KH? It will pass vanilla + Final Mix no problem (6 million) if it's already past 5 million.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Rankings for each platform doesn't mean game sold well on that platform, though. Saying that KH3 sold well on X1 just because that version is 2nd on X1 chart list is a spin actually if we look how split is big in PS4 favor ( reference taken from UK charts and from Benjis quote few weeks ago ).
well its sold 5mill since launch so even if the split is 80/20 it sold a million on xbox alone

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't think any publisher use one console sales metric to another one as evaluation because of different install bases. I bet Square are more than happy because their game is the second most profitable january Xbox title. And Capcom to be the number one.
Agreed. The issue comes when you consider bringing a game that tends to sell less than 500k worldwide. For such games, XB1 shares could be below 10%(see for example Valkyria chronicles 4 UK split). In those cases, you're looking at a sub-50k sales potential for the XB1 version, at which point the financial viability could come into doubt. for bigger games, it won't be an issue.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Parents can also get KH3 for kids, unlike Remake 2. Unless you the kids have cool parents lol.

Jan 17, 2019
Porting a PS4 game to XBOX One is not as difficult as you think. Especially in the case of ToV where Microsoft give support. As for VC4, I think every copy is important.

well its sold 5mill since launch so even if the split is 80/20 it sold a million on xbox alone

Just justifying a port to a platform is one thing ( still cost money and time no matter how easy is ), but make a profit from that port is another thing. Is Square happy enough how X1 version is selling, i dunno.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
You know, i think that a tablet version of one of the big consoles given the switch sales. I think Microsoft may push a gamepass model with a tablet xb1.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that, once again, answers many people questions about why Nintendo charges full price for Wii U ports: Those sell like hot cakes anyway!

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018

What about BOIIII in that case?
That game is #4 overall and #3 on both Ps4 and Xbox One with a similar split.

KH3 on Xbox One still sold more than roughly 50% of all CoD: BOIIII sales.

UK retail only split and US platform split including digital is very different. Even if the genre skew still applies.

flexicon

Nov 5, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): System Wars and Trolling; account still in junior phase
Zelda still charting 2 years later while God of War is nowhere to be seen is fantastic to see

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
Hardware spending in January 2019 declined 28 percent when compared to a year ago, to $199 million. Total hardware dollar sales were the second highest total achieved since the $239 million reached in January 2014.

What's the difference between Hardware spending and Total hardware dollar sales? Just trying to understand why the former was lower than last year and the latter was higher

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Your post is also spin.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Here's the weekly comparison:

NSW: 284K / 4 = 71,000
PS4: 195K / 4 = 48,750
XB1: 101K / 4 = 25,250

NSW: 275K / 5 = 55,000
PS4: 254K / 5 = 50,800
XB1: 235K / 5 = 47,000

Nice thanks !
Great for Switch, PS4 is steady, impressive

I can't remember what I predicted for Jan ahah

But agree with other members, PS4 needs a price cut with Day's Gone, it could help the game and Sony could offset these profits with profits made by more games/services sold

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
PS4 sales at $299 this late in it's life is absurd...

At this point in it's life cycle PS2 was about to drop to $129 and had been $149 for nearly 2 years.

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw ToV at 12. I'm sure it didn't sell a huge amount and it's not top 10 but for a remaster niche JRPG b

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did my part and bought KH3 on Xbox. Surprised RE2 sold more on XB1 though.
Curious as to why you are surprised?

RE series had a presence on Xbox before. I'm not saying KH3 would have been first on Xbox if they would have released 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 on the console but it might have helped 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: then factor in knuckleheads like me that own both boxes but bought KH3 on PS4 because 1) that's where all the other games are at and 2) historical relationship between console and franchise

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Curious as to why you are surprised?

RE series had a presence on Xbox before. I'm not saying KH3 would have been first on Xbox if they would have released 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 on the console but it might have helped 🤷‍♂️
I still expected KH3 to sell more as I figured it had more potential for casual sales.

I thought I saw KH3 selling more than RE2 on the Xbox Store so maybe retail is where RE2 sold more.

Like for all I know the difference could have been ~2K so I'm just a little surprised is all :p.