• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
NPD is sometimes confusing with these statements since their chart is revenue based. Is the OP talking revenue or unit sales?

Edit

Seems like it's all revenue? Doesn't seem that impressive in that context given that it's a more expensive game.

Edit again...forgot that this is not counting digital sales.

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so good, like on a completely different level compared to the rest of the series. I say that as a big Fire Emblem fan, too. The game deserves all of these sales and more.

The exciting part is that there are many obvious areas where they can add a lot of improvement.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Does anyone have the sales quantity of 3H and the past games in the article? All i'm seeing is the 3x portion.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I believe you have to pay/be a client of NPD to get the raw data as far as #s. Tracking differs in US as opposed to say Japan where we have some trackers that give actual numbers for retail units sold.
Right, I get it. It's strange cause I've always seen that echoes made around 134k on their first week but there hasn't been any official news regarding the overall performance.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If it weren't for the fact that the game very successfully tells multiple branching story paths I'd argue that this should prompt Intelligent Systems to craft a direct sequel. As it stands, I'm not sure how that could possibly happen -- even a 200-year timeskip or something would have to be pretty broad, and at that point just go ahead and make something else.

Wonderful world though, Fodlan.

They could either pick the most popular route to continue OR go full on comic book and unite all four routes into some sort of crisis crossover where there's suddenly multi-dimension versions of some/everyone.

I imagine it'd be easier/likelier to make a manga/anime continuation of certain routes, though.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Good!
80 hours in and I only just got to Part 2 with Golden Deer route lol. I also gave myself tedonitis playing too much so my arm in in pain but.. ... ... worth it.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long it isnt just for the female characters like past games. Seriously why Ike, Chrom, any male lord that isnt Marth have no nendoroid or figma.
Screw nendoroids and figmas, why hasn't there been a Lucina scale figure yet? Camilla got one surprisingly, even Mythra and Pyra got there own. I want to spend a fortune on more plastic trash for fucks sake Nintendo.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very well deserved :) It's probably the best selling if it doesn't have the trash character Bernadetta

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Screw nendoroids and figmas, why hasn't there been a Lucina scale figure yet? Camilla got one surprisingly, even Mythra and Pyra got there own. I want to spend a fortune on more plastic trash for fucks sake Nintendo.
Figmas are the GOAT through. You get so much mileage out of them with the silly poses its just great. I do wish that she would get another scale figure as well.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
NPD is sometimes confusing with these statements since their chart is revenue based. Is the OP talking revenue or unit sales?

Edit

Seems like it's all revenue? Doesn't seem that impressive in that context given that it's a more expensive game.
50% more expensive, to be precise. That means Three Houses still doubled the previous first month record in units sold.

Edit: Well, previous record by NPD's counting.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
As long it isnt just for the female characters like past games. Seriously why Ike, Chrom, any male lord that isnt Marth have no nendoroid or figma.

Were there that many FE Figma/Nendoroid anyways? I have a Lucina Figma, and I'm pretty sure Marth and Corrin have one too but that's it? For Nendorids I'm less aware (does Lucina even have one?) and could have sworn it was Marth, Caeda, Corrin, and that one Hoshido sister. We got Cordelia and Tharja too but only as statues.

It's felt really random what characters got what. Like, you'd think there'd be way more Tharja stuff. And a Lucina statue. A Chrom Figma not existing is bizarre.

Edelgard Figma is a given, but I want Bernie and Dorothea too.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Were there that many FE Figma/Nendoroid anyways? I have a Lucina Figma, and I'm pretty sure Marth and Corrin have one too but that's it? For Nendorids I'm less aware (does Lucina even have one?) and could have sworn it was Marth, Caeda, Corrin, and that one Hoshido sister. We got Cordelia and Tharja too but only as statues.

It's felt really random what characters got what. Like, you'd think there'd be way more Tharja stuff. And a Lucina statue. A Chrom Figma not existing is bizarre.

Elise got a Nendo too. Only lords and the more overtly popular characters get figures/merch, it seems. I would pay top dollar for a Felicia figma/statue.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

Marth has no figma, just a nendo
And sorry, but if they announce a Bernadetta and Dorothea figmas when Ike and Marth have none, or before Claude and Dimitri get theirs, I will be very disappointing. They are good characters but Good Smile Company should do more than just figures for female characters

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I still don't understand how IS does merchandising tbh. Feels like there's a whole untapped market there, yet they're so cautious with how they do it. At least it feels like they're opening up on it.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Marth has no figma, just a nendo
And sorry, but if they announce a Bernadetta and Dorothea figmas when Ike and Marth have none, or before Claude and Dimitri get theirs, I will be very disappointing. They are good characters but Good Smile Company should do more than just figures for female characters

Oh, I just meant that I want them to do enough merch for those characters to get some, not instead of Claude/Dimitri. Like, the whole Persona 5 cast is slowly getting Figmas, but they're doing them in order from seemingly most to least significant. Once Byleth, Edelgard, Claude, and Dimitri are set hopefully they'd continue with the students instead of stopping entirely.

I still don't understand how IS does merchandising tbh. Feels like there's a whole untapped market there, yet they're so cautious with how they do it. At least it feels like they're opening up on it.

There is a surprising amount of Japan only merch, mostly related to Heroes and the TCG, though. I think the closest thing to figures is those flat acrylic standees, but I forget if they made any for non-Heroes styled characters.

Nintendo in general is pretty bad at merchandising anything that isn't Mario or Pokemon. Despite the roaring success of the Switch, Jazwares stopped making anything that wasn't Mario based in the last few years, meaning GOAT BOTW got no merch besides some roleplay accessories. They even stopped making Splatoon and Animal Crossing stuff.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So from what I understand, this might not be as impressive as it sounds? NPD is revenue based and only tracks sales in the US. Fates sold ~450k copies in the US (including digital), but that was at $40.

Three Houses being $60 means it only needed to sell ~300k to pass Fates. Which is still good, but not mindblowing good.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
So from what I understand, this might not be as impressive as it sounds? NPD is revenue based and only tracks sales in the US. Fates sold ~450k copies in the US (including digital), but that was at $40.

So Three Houses may have only sold ~300k in the US so far. Which is still good, but not mindblowing good.

Despite costing 50% more the game has likely opened to double the sales numbers of any previous FE despite likely having a significantly higher digital percentage. That's pretty amazing whatever word you want to use to describe it.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Three Houses being $60 means it only needed to sell ~300k to pass Fates. Which is still good, but not mindblowing good.
Zhuge already confirmed that. Digital will be quite high due to the stock issues. Like I don't get how this isn't amazing.
Note. NPD separates the SKU's for Fire Emblem Fates into Birthright, Conquest and Special. In terms of dollar sales, Three Houses still has the highest opening in the series, even when combining SKU's for Fates. In terms of LTD, dollar sales for Fates would actually be higher than Awakening if you combine the three SKU's.

Anyway. FE:TH > 300k in the US (Put > to show with digital it'd be higher).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

There are Nendoroids for Marth and Caeda from Shadow Dragon, and female Corrin, Elise, and Sakura from Fates (so the more popular of the Corrins and the little sisters from each royal family). I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least a couple for Three Houses.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like more people probably buy on digital than physical, right? I can't imagine preferring a physical copy, personally

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Oh, I just meant that I want them to do enough merch for those characters to get some, not instead of Claude/Dimitri. Like, the whole Persona 5 cast is slowly getting Figmas, but they're doing them in order from seemingly most to least significant. Once Byleth, Edelgard, Claude, and Dimitri are set hopefully they'd continue with the students instead of stopping entirely.

There is a surprising amount of Japan only merch, mostly related to Heroes and the TCG, though. I think the closest thing to figures is those flat acrylic standees, but I forget if they made any for non-Heroes styled characters.

Nintendo in general is pretty bad at merchandising anything that isn't Mario or Pokemon. Despite the roaring success of the Switch, Jazwares stopped making anything that wasn't Mario based in the last few years, meaning GOAT BOTW got no merch besides some roleplay accessories. They even stopped making Splatoon and Animal Crossing stuff.
It's so weird though. Personally I would love to have an entire army of figma figures (Nintendo) but they're out of distribution or just stopped after a period of time. I know people would go nuts over more figures of the less prominent yet popular characters.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's release strategy feels really smart. Tentpoles in the fall, remasters/ports in the Spring, and new/less popular IPs in the summer. Splatoon 2 and Octopath Traveler also had great success they might not have otherwise had without the whole summer to themselves.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

The proportion of Fire Emblem characters in merchs produced by Goodsmile/Max Factory is actually higher if we compare to other Nintendo properties, the only one rivaling its number is The Legend of Zelda series. It's just FE have so many characters that the omission of a favorite character felt glaring.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't, Fates did better. They just decided to not count all three SKUs which creates this twiligt zone scenario here.
Do we actually know how Fates combined did in comparison to SoV? You're just posting tweets proving they're separate, not how they compared.

I'd assume it did, but IDK. Anecdotally I knew several people who didn't get it physically because they didn't see a point.
Note. NPD separates the SKU's for Fire Emblem Fates into Birthright, Conquest and Special. In terms of dollar sales, Three Houses still has the highest opening in the series, even when combining SKU's for Fates. In terms of LTD, dollar sales for Fates would actually be higher than Awakening if you combine the three SKU's.

Anyway. FE:TH > 300k in the US (Put > to show with digital it'd be higher).
Figured I'd quote and ask you too, as you're more likely to know.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Do we actually know how Fates combined did in comparison to SoV? You're just posting tweets proving they're separate, not how they compared.

I'd assume it did, but IDK. Anecdotally I knew several people who didn't get it physically because they didn't see a point.

Figured I'd quote and ask you too, as you're more likely to know.

In terms of unit sales, the 3 Fates SKU's combined sold around 2x more than SOV when comparing opening months.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
In terms of unit sales, the 3 Fates SKU's combined sold around 2x more than SOV when comparing opening months.
So.... if 3H was around 300k, and three times more than SOV, that puts the latter at around 100k. And then therefore fates at around 200k as well. I think.

EDIT: shit, I keep forgetting it's revenue, that shakes things up a fair bit..

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
So.... if 3H was around 300k, and three times more than SOV, that puts the latter at around 100k. And then therefore fates at around 200k as well. I think.

EDIT: shit, I keep forgetting it's revenue, that shakes things up a fair bit..
Ignoring the special editions, 3H would have to sell twice as many units to achieve three times the revenue. So if 3H is ~300k, then SoV was ~150k.