• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I had low expectations for Crackdown 3, but ... not in the top 20 on launch month. Not in the Xbox top 10 on launch month.

I think that's the last we'll see of the franchise, and that's a shame. I know the series has a number of very passionate fans here on Resetera, and they deserved better.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I had low expectations for Crackdown 3, but ... not in the top 20 on launch month. Not in the Xbox top 10 on launch month.

I think that's the last we'll see of the franchise, and that's a shame. I know the series has a number of very passionate fans here on Resetera, and they deserved better.

Due to the controversies surrounding the game, troubled development, and stigma surrounding the XBO, I'm hoping they understand the game doesn't represent what the series can be and give it another shot.

Emilijo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In last 14 months, Xbox One ended in last place (behind PS4 and Switch) 13 times in US. This is Xbox's strongest market? This is a place where X360 won 32 NPD's in a row?

Oct 25, 2017
Well thats not so bad for the XB1. I keep hearing that its doing awful, but thats... just last place, not awful.

Worldwide?

It won't come close to match the 360,nevrrmind beating it.

This is na. Xboxs absolute "strongest" market. If its doing only ok over here, it's essentially getting demolished nearly everywhere else outside maybe UK and Mexico?
Sales wise, this has not been a good Gen for them.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Worldwide?

It won't come close to match the 360,nevrrmind beating it.

This is na. Xboxs absolute "strongest" market. If its doing only ok over here, it's essentially getting demolished nearly everywhere else outside maybe UK and Mexico?
Sales wise, this has not been a good Gen for them.

Yup. Im praying to the video game gods that Xbox gets a leadership overhaul. Spencer & Co have done a mediocre job overall. Their saving grace is the massive capital from MS as a whole.

C'mon Satya, time to shake things up for next gen. It's different times now.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Random question I guess. But does console manufacturers have access to the info when a console is being sold, I'm thinking do they know what games a person buy alongside the console?

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I know it just had a big sale but it's still crazy to see Siege in the Top 20 game sales for the year. A game that came out at the end of 2015.

My game of the gen keeps on chugging!

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Arrived late to this, so what is the sales per console?? Did Switch sales equal Ps4 + Xbox One sales again??

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree....
except Mario Maker is on the way and will totally cannibalize it's legs.

This is possible, but it is also possible that people will have fun with Mario Maker and be interested in a "professional" experience because of it. My guess is that this isn't going to have the same dampening effect that the back to back release of NSMB2 and NSMBU had. I think that the two games will be complimentary and help each other's sales. I do expect Mario Maker 2 to outsell NSMBUDX, since it's a brand new game.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
You know I wonder if Benji's point about PS4 keeping it's price could be applicable to Switch as well.

Most of us are expecting some sort of a price cut for the Switch, a new cheaper model or both, but what if Nintendo figures it's gonna do gangbusters anyway and decides to keep the price?

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HW sales continue to be strong at current pricing levels. If any price cuts happen it will not be because data suggest they are needed.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HW sales continue to be strong at current pricing levels. If any price cuts happen it will not be because data suggest they are needed.

I agree for sure on PS4 and Switch. Zero need to cut at all

Xbox however I do think needs one. Maybe not a permanent basis but it struggles a bit at full price. MS seems aware of that though and does a lot of different bundles / promotions to offset that

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I was gonna ask what early impressions were of Super Mario Maker 2 but it still doesn't have a solid release date yet.

Prediction: Super Mario Maker 2 will become the best selling game of 2019 upon release.
MK11 might take that throne from KH III in April but Mario Maker will have such a huge presence on social media, twitch, YouTube, etc. it's gonna be huge

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Are the "price cuts not needed" comments because HW is in line with expectations (HW is supposed to slow down at this point) or because HW is exceeding expectations? Last holiday there was a lot of talk that a price cuts could only slow down the HW decline.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are the "price cuts not needed" comments because HW is in line with expectations (HW is supposed to slow down at this point) or because HW is exceeding expectations? Last holiday there was a lot of talk that a price cuts could only slow down the HW decline.

Based on my math, incremental sales gains from base price cuts won't offset the cost of the cuts themselves this year. But lots can change. Better plan is to continue with hi/lo promotional pricing and value add bundles.

Oct 25, 2017
You know I wonder if Benji's point about PS4 keeping it's price could be applicable to Switch as well.

Most of us are expecting some sort of a price cut for the Switch, a new cheaper model or both, but what if Nintendo figures it's gonna do gangbusters anyway and decides to keep the price?
They had higher goals in mind for switch last fiscal year that they didn't reach. Would be weird to forgo another year of price drops when switch is already the longest any of the modern consoles have gone without a drop.

I do think Nintendo needs to make a mark before publishers decide to go all out on everything but switch. This would be the year to do it

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They had higher goals in mind for switch last fiscal year that they didn't reach. Would be weird to forgo another year of price drops when switch is already the longest any of the modern consoles have gone without a drop.

I do think Nintendo needs to make a mark before publishers decide to go all out on everything but switch. This would be the year to do it
They barely missed their sales target because of the lack of software in the first 3 quarters of the CY - not because of the price.
This years looks completely different and they have the software to support their sales ambitions starting in June with Mario Maker 2.

I think Nintendo would be happy to keep the Switch at the current price point, even if it means bundling it with a game as long as the more portable friendly revision can be priced cheaper. I feel that they would want to replace the current Switch with a more powerful Switch next year, which would be sold again at around 300 bucks.

Talking about general price drops here - obv. for the sale season including Black Friday they will have a more aggressive price strategy, but as of now i dont see them dropping main Switch price, with it current sales performance.

PS. Publishers decided 1-2 years ago if they are gonna be on board or not - nothing that happens this year will have a big influence on future support. The Switch is selling on PS4 levels and on its way to 100m, unless you are EA you know that the system is here to stay and trying to figure out how to best support the console.

Oct 25, 2017
They barely missed their sales target because of the lack of software in the first 3 quarters of the CY - not because of the price.
This years looks completely different and they have the software to support their sales ambitions starting in June with Mario Maker 2.

I think Nintendo would be happy to keep the Switch at the current price point, even if it means bundling it with a game as long as the more portable friendly revision can be priced cheaper. I feel that they would want to replace the current Switch with a more powerful Switch next year, which would be sold again at around 300 bucks.

Talking about general price drops here - obv. for the sale season including Black Friday they will have a more aggressive price strategy, but as of now i dont see them dropping main Switch price, with it current sales performance.

PS. Publishers decided 1-2 years ago if they are gonna be on board or not - nothing that happens this year will have a big influence on future support. The Switch is selling on PS4 levels and on its way to 100m, unless you are EA you know that the system is here to stay and trying to figure out how to best support the console.
They have to at least issue bundles. Nothing until and since Mario Kart 8's Black Friday bundle. They've been slowly building up to it with the $35 eShop card offer.

But this year we're likely going to at least see Xbox Two/"next gen" and the other consoles are most likely getting price drops. Switch might not need one now, but they will when it stops being the freshest thing in the market or one of the cheapest.

A revision would likely help a lot as well

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They have to at least issue bundles. Nothing until and since Mario Kart 8's Black Friday bundle. They've been slowly building up to it with the $35 eShop card offer.

But this year we're likely going to at least see Xbox Two/"next gen" and the other consoles are most likely getting price drops. Switch might not need one now, but they will when it stops being the freshest thing in the market or one of the cheapest.

A revision would likely help a lot as well
I don't disagree.

But you think Next-Gen systems that will launch for +400 bucks in 2020(exception being the xCoud Xbox) - will have any kind of mayor impact on the sales of the Switch hardware considering the software Nintendo is releasing ? Having a hard time believing that people will skip out on the next mainline Pokemon or Animal Crossing Switch bundles because of a PS5 or a cheaper Xbox One.

I might be wrong but other systems don't really offer what the Switch has to offer - price drops wont change that.

Nintendo will definitely introduce new bundles during the Summer to keep the momentum high while dropping Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem.

Switch right now has no issues keeping up with the competition even though Nintendo hadn't had a single big release this year, while PS4/One had a bunch of AAA releases in the first months of this year that all skipped Switch.

There isn't a lot worry about with Switch this year regardless of the competition.

Dec 2, 2017
Due to the controversies surrounding the game, troubled development, and stigma surrounding the XBO, I'm hoping they understand the game doesn't represent what the series can be and give it another shot.
If you're talking about something the series can be, you're talking about something it's not/hasn't been. In which case, it would make way more sense to try that something new with a new IP that doesn't have all the baggage. It's clear the Crackdown name isn't moving any needles.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree.

But you think Next-Gen systems that will launch for +400 bucks in 2020(exception being the xCoud Xbox) - will have any kind of mayor impact on the sales of the Switch hardware considering the software Nintendo is releasing ? Having a hard time believing that people will skip out on the next mainline Pokemon or Animal Crossing Switch bundles because of a PS5 or a cheaper Xbox One.

I might be wrong but other systems don't really offer what the Switch has to offer - price drops wont change that.

Nintendo will definitely introduce new bundles during the Summer to keep the momentum high while dropping Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem.

Switch right now has no issues keeping up with the competition even though Nintendo hadn't had a single big release this year, while PS4/One had a bunch of AAA releases in the first months of this year that all skipped Switch.

There isn't a lot worry about with Switch this year regardless of the competition.
I am admittedly surprised that switch is up year over year.

Do think a slightly more aggressive play my work out better in the long run but I guess they're content making more profit in the short term right now.

Guess they can react after seeing what Sony and Ms have planned

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

They didn't miss the mark cause of price, they missed the mark cause of a lack of big releases the first 2 quarters of the fiscal year. Q1 in particular was horrendous for them, which is no surprise as Mario Tennis was their big anchor title. Compare that to Super Mario Maker 2 this year, which has potential to be a 15-20 million seller, it's no contest. If the software is there, the console will sell. Even now, it's being carried by Smash this entire quarter and up YoY by a good margin