• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Metro: Exodus was the eighth best-selling game of February.
Launch month sales of Metro: Exodus set a new franchise record, besting the month-one sales of Metro: Last Light by nearly 50 percent.

Well this puts a smile on my face. Deserved for 4A games after making what I though was an excellent game and evolution for the series.
I didn't ever see Metro Exodus being a gigantic seller but it's great to see sales rise significantly after Last Light.

Redux probably helped bring in a lot of new fans like me in over the last 3-4 years.

Now as for Anthem taking No.1 that is not surprising at all as its a AAA iron man schlooter made by Bioware.
So the hot take posts laughing at people thinking it'll bomb are a bit strange, as I never really saw any Sales Era folks saying it won't sell millions in general.

More interesting is how much has it sold in what time frame, are EA satisfied and what is the sales tail going forward?
5-6 million by end of May is the goal as we know.

It is a GAAS game so maybe they are able to keep decent revenue on the mtx from the current user base without any new consumers coming in, although imo I don't see this happening.

Crackdown 3 is simply Nuke bomba territory.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
For comparison, here's player base growth of PlayStation games in February (worldwide):
Top-10
  1. Apex Legends +21,300,000
  2. For Honor +3,300,000
  3. Hitman +2,700,000
  4. Realm Royale +2,100,000
  5. FIFA 19 +1,900,000
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops +1,500,000
  7. Grand Theft Auto V +1,500,000
  8. Red Dead Redemption 2 +1,200,000
  9. Anthem +1,100,000
  10. Steep +960,000
(You may find how the rest ~5,000 PlayStation games performed in February on http://gamstat.com/ Keep in mind though, Fortnite: Battle Royale excluded )

This site says MKX has more players than Apex Legends and RDR2. That doesn't sound possible ? Evern with the margin of error and duplicate player profiles. Feel like we would have gotten a sales update if its close to those games.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Jump Force is a once in a generation even, regardless of the quality - all these iconic characters coming together on the big screen is attracting as fuck. Bamco had an easy time to promote and showcase the game to make it look enticing at first glance.

If i was younger and i saw a promotional video featuring Goku, Luffy and Naruto + a bunch of other characters i would be thee day 1 as well.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That seems like a good hold for KH3, has a chance to end up in the top 10 software at the end of the year.

gamstat

Mar 17, 2019
This site says MKX has more players than Apex Legends and RDR2. That doesn't sound possible?
I guess you're looking at the total player counts (all those who ever played the game, and yes, MKX beats them so far), not the last month growth.
Also, the older the game, the more likely its growth is based not on store sales, but on reselling, renting and guest accounts.

Last edited:

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Metro is one of those series that will never blow up isn't it? Shame because the devs put a lot of effort on those games and their output is really solid, i'll say lack of marketing but what do i know.

Don't forget that it's sitting on a 79 on Metacritic for PS4 which is pretty poor relatively speaking for a AAA game. It may well have blown up if it reviewed better.

Oct 25, 2017
This energy and reaction toward the obvious happening with jump force.... oooooo man April npds gonna be goooood
Multiply this reaction to Jump Force times 10 for Days Gone. Folk gonna act like something wrong with the universe or something.

yep

Played it on game pass I don't think MS first party games can be judged solely by sales anymore
Mind you, both SoT and SoD2 had no problem charting.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Not sure I'd qualify Crackdown 3 as a flop considering it was pushed as a Game Pass game. From a sales perspective sure, but I bet a shitton of people played it for $2.

Which doesn't help re-coup the cost for making that game like at all. Game had two developers working on it, and was delayed a lot. Even with people playing it via gamepass I highly doubt those subs even payed for the advertising costs using Terri Crews.

jeromeSF

Nov 2, 2017
This is a strange post to be honest: this does not negate what happened in the past to other games and what industry insiders said and additionally you don't know where the game would've been without gamepass.
I mean nobody said that gamepass saves every game from being a disaster but I think you knew all that before making the post.
The problem is: the industry insider who said that here said it after ONE game (Sea of Thieves). And then it became a fact here. How can you say something like that after only a game? How can you even know how much this game would have sold without Gamepass? When I asked for clarification, I never got an answer

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
KH3 doing pretty damn well for itself I imagine Square is elated that Western sales are so good compared to JP ones.

Jan 17, 2019
On the internets. Ppls opinions.

Just did some google research like "Crackdown 3 is an awesome game" "Crackdown 3 is a good game", "Crackdown 3 receive a lot of praise"....well nothing actually. Found 2-3 youtube videos which talks how game is actually "good" and, of course, OT on this board. But also typed "Crackdown 3 is a bad game" or "mediocre"......bunch of the results.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Craziness

MS can't catch a break this gen game wise

Well that happens when you mis-manage your whole division most of this gen. Which has been somewhat course corrected by Phil, but it going to take a while until we see fruits of that correction. CRACKDOWN 3 among other titles were caught in that section of mismanaged properties which I find puzzling since Phil was still head of software for xbox games.

I would have seen the issues, gone back to the board and been like, " we are axing the cloud stuff to make a better game that runs well and comes out on time". Seems that no matter what the board wanted cloud compute in there just so they could save face. And I feel that is what killed production, along with maybe sumo not having creative control because of certain things that MS mandated be in there.
i don't know honestly. But it's not hard to make something akin to red faction gureilla destruction within the engine, and look at SAINTS ROW 4 IN how it handles powers/guns.

I hope gamepass isn't another way for MS to obscure numbers of sales, and put games on there that are a wash. Hope gears 5 and infinite change my perception.
Because even with Sea of theieves and SOD2 according to some charting for their launch months, they both dropped like a rock, and the only metric MS seems keen on bringing up is active users, and game activity.

Meanwhile Sony/Nintendo continue to sell games that came out last year, and for Nintendo games that are 2 years old are still charting. Don't see any MS title doing that.

All this talk that Gamepass saves a bad/mediocre game is really something. I wonder how investors, and stock owners that know anything about this industry feel right now? With how MS groups this division in with Windows/Azure/Enterprise stuff no wonder no one has said anything. On the outside it looks great, healthy growth for xbox division. But when you see stuff like this, and game sales with charts with Most played on xbox being older Third party games and not new third party games show what platform those games are selling best on.

EDIT: CORRECTED, BOTH JUMP FORCE AND KH3 were on xbox chart.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. Didn't even make the Xbox list!
I'm not so sure about tha. I was just checking MS' top played games on Xbox, granted this list isn't for February but Crackdown 3 isn't even in the top 50. I find it hard to believe the game sold well but isn't in the top 50 Xbox games being played now. All signs point to it bombing hard.

Yeah...I think its safe to say it didnt sell too well.
Crackdown 3 definitely shows you can't rely on gamepass to be your own marketing, especially not for a title with that sort of reception. This is coming from someone who enjoyed it and got about 700GS out of it.
On the flip-side, Anthem and Jump Force show that critical reception won't entirely impact performance if your marketing is good. You couldn't get away from Jump Force and Anthem in the gaming sector, so it make sense they did well (Not to mention even with the quality of Jump Force, people have been wanting a shonen vs game forever).

Anthem is probably the most interesting title here. Second biggest launch for EA and best seller of the month. I think a lot there (besides marketing) has to do with the reception not being hugely negative at least not like say Fallout 76. Most of the talk after the long load times was basically "If you just wanna shoot stuff this does fine). Only played the beta but structurally the gameplay was fine, so I can see why it would appeal to this perhaps wanting a simple loot shooter experience with friends.

This is why I bought up CD and Metro. Some ppl in a most played Xbox games thread were actually thinking Metro was failing because it was at 135th? place for games played, and ppl were hyping up CD because it was in the top 10 IIRC?

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game pass isn't a sales panacea that will make everything sell better. It's something that allows for more conversation and player touchpoints, which drive virality. The folks that are on game pass are going to be more invested in gaming, and those are the people friends and family listen to when picking games to buy. Game pass seems to amplify the sentiment of the experience people have with the participating games.

Data suggest SoT and SoD2 sales have benefitted from being on game pass because of these reasons. And these same reasons appear to have potentially negatively impacted CD3.

It's the double edged sword of banking on virality and power of influence.

Last edited:

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Game pass isn't a sales panacea that will make everything sell better. It's something that allows for more conversation and player touchpoints, which drive virality. The folks that are on game pass are going to be more invested in gaming, and those are the people friends and family listen to when picking games to buy. Game pass seems to amplify the sentiment of the experience people have with the participating games.

Data suggest SoT and SoD2 sales have benefitted from being on game pass because of these reasons. And these same reasons appear to have potentially negatively impacted CD3.

It's the double edged sword of banking on virality and power of influence.
Thanks for summarizing the role of GamePass. It's fascinating how these new channels help create feedback loops which in turn can dramatically alter the reception of a game or service. They are probably one of the most significant addition to the industry this generation.

I wonder if Smash broke 15 million yet.
I wouldn't bank on it, it has been selling less on a weekly basis than Mario Kart in quite a few markets. Was that enough to sell 3 millions this quarter ? Maybe. Not sure.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
You have to go a really long way down the chart before you find Crackdown 3

Not surprising about Crackdown 3, only a fool would buy that when it could be played using Gamepass.

I've occasionally commented in the past that first party games have a slightly different sales goal than third party games; they don't necessarily need to be profitable in and of themselves provided they can attract a new audience to the ecisystem. And now with Gamepass we're getting that twofold; if a player is already on Xbox One, they can be attracted again to Gamepass.

Thing is, though, fond as I am of the original Crackdown, it never really struck me as a system-seller sort of title; I really don't see people buying an Xbox One for Crackdown 3. I perhaps do see people buying Gamepass trials for Crackdown 3, but not going beyond that (would I be right in saying that the cheap gamepass trial is a one-off new customer offer, with resubbing being at a higher price? Maybe it's served its purpose? Hard to say. I really struggle to see this as being in line with MS's goals for the game, though, even as a first party title.

Still, looks like it turns out that the original cloud-based physics demonstration had some truth to it after all...
With Crackdown 3, we're seeing a spectacular collapse

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
more like the top 10 best games ever

I hope this is a joke post if not.......

WeepyLeafyIndochinahogdeer-max-1mb.gif

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if we got an actually good Shoenen crossover game. Jump Force at #2 should tell Namco the demand is there, please give us something quality

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I wouldn't bank on it, it has been selling less on a weekly basis than Mario Kart in quite a few markets. Was that enough to sell 3 millions this quarter ? Maybe. Not sure.
It sold incredibly well across multiple regions in January. That 12.06 mil number was only a little over 3 weeks. I don't think 15 million at this point is out of the question.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crackdown more like Cratered-down. Hope the gamepass results makes up for it for the studio(s).