• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
It's somewhat sad that the big four releases of the month (Anthem, Jump Force, FarCry, Metro) charted in that exact order, when the perceived quality of those four games is flipped the other way around, in the exact opposite order.

Crackdown 3 tho....... hooo boy. I thought MS had a good strategy in place that worked for Sea of Thieves, State of Decay, and Forza Horizon 4, somewhat surprising to see it fall flat on it's face here.

I just think they should've marketing it a bit more. Maybe not the traditional way. Maybe shouldve paid streamers and advertise the beta tests heavily. All the prior three games I listed... Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon 4 had a lot of hype prior to release. And State of Decay too had enough hype for what it was, a budget $30 game that has managed to pull in 4 million players.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
although it "makes sense" in context... weird seeing a Far Cry debut below the top 3

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very happy for Metro Exodus as it's an excellent game and second best overall 2019 game only behind REmake2 in my opinion. Have to wonder about Far Cry New Dawn and where it would have ranked if it was $60 instead of $40. Not surprised by Anthem or Jump Force at all even though I did expect Jump Force to be closer to 10 than to 1.

Next month will be great as im looking forward to seeing where The Division 2, DMC 5 and Sekiro rank for the month of March.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
VlERdag.gif

Nov 3, 2017
I'm normally just here for sales data, but this time round I'm like 40% here for people getting really salty over 'bad' games selling well

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
It really doesn't. We had other examples that did well (Mutant Year Zero was a financial success according to Funcom and that released on Game Pass day 1). This result is more due to Crackdown's 3 reception, both in public perception and by the critics.

You have absolutely 0 evidence to support this idea besides 1 flop.

This was explained in my message, but you can get a single quote, ignoring the rest of the message.

The only way in which a small developer can benefice from releasing a single player game debuting on Game Pass, is if they have a limited budget for marketing AND they are releasing the game in other systems the same day.

So the visibility of Game pass will boost the sales of the title in the other systems.

And the single flop has been one of the most marketed games by Microsoft through an entire generation, and featured in various E3s.

I'm sure that even being a disappointing game, a lot more of people could have purchased the game only for curiosity, for seeing the next big thing of Microsoft, even with the bad critical reception.

But having a chance of being disappointed for "free" is what in my opinion caused a severe cut on the initial sales.

Surprising that the Switch still managed to get good sales despite that there were barely any notable releases this month (I think the only one was Steins Gate? And even that is extremely niche).
The evergreen titles are evergreen for a reason. There are still plenty of people out there who have yet to buy a Switch and have the likes of Smash, BotW, Mario Kart and SMO waiting for them, with Super Mario Party making a strong case for being included in that group as well.

Oct 25, 2017
This was explained in my message, but you can get a single quote, ignoring the rest of the message.

And the single flop has been one of the most marketed games by Microsoft through an entire generation, and featured in various E3s.

I'm sure that even being a disappointing game, a lot more of people could have purchased the game only for curiosity, for seeing the next big thing of Microsoft, even with the bad critical reception.

But having a chance of being disappointed for "free" is what in my opinion caused a severed cut on the initial sales.

It wasn't explained. Again, you have 0 evidence and it's all about your opinion here, you don't have any data to support this. Mutant Year Zero isn't really a legacy title and also a SP focused product, too.

Having a game featured in E3 and having little to no marketing after that isn't marketing the game a lot, too, and Game Pass or not, Crackdown wouldn't do well either way. We can wait to see the result of Ori 2, though.

And in you yourself say that in the end, what cut sales was the quality. (not for me though i loved the game rofl)

Oct 25, 2017
Switch #1 since December is nice and a bit surprising.
No major software since Smash and no price drop/major bundle.
Should be a really good year for them if they get the lite model and a price cut out. Line up is pretty killer

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Top 10 best selling titles (Year to Date 2019)
  1. Kingdom Hearts III
  2. Anthem^
  3. Resident Evil 2 2019
  4. Jump Force
  5. Red Dead Redemption II
  6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  7. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII^
  8. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  9. NBA 2K19
  10. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
6/10 are japanese games.This is great.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Surprising that the Switch still managed to get good sales despite that there were barely any notable releases this month
Nintendo knows how to make evergreen-sellers. Smash, Mario Odyssey/U Deluxe, Breath of the Wild etc. are all going to continue moving copies at a solid pace for the next few years.

Damn, so Etrian Odyssey Nexus flopped?
"Flopped" depends on a lot of things. Could be that Atlus knew about how many copies it would move, and budgeted the release accordingly. (That's why neither Nexus nor Persona Q2 have an English dub; when you're releasing 3DS games in 2019, you have to play things fairly safely.) As with Strange Journey Redux last year, the more likely scenario is that Atlus only made a small number of physical copies, and then sold most of them. In that case, it wouldn't really be a flop, despite the overall number of units moved, especially when digital sales are factored in.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
But guys, I was told Anthem is an utter bomb and completely dead. /s

Very happy for Bioware. Have enjoyed my time with Anthem a lot and I know they'll keep improving it. Nice hold by KH3 as well, and even if it's just for a few months, I love that it's the year's biggest seller.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Switch being up YoY with no major releases is a good sign for the rest of the year for Nintendo. They have several huge titles and even more big titles. They are looking to move a ton of software and hardware this year. Think some people are going to be surprised at some of the figures in the second half of the year.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
What's it with anime and short circuiting people's brains? I'm not one to talk cause of things I've purchased in the past, but damn it's like a cosmic constant.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I never really bought this idea that Game Pass increases sales to be honest. I know there's more evidence to the contrary that people will throw at me, but I think if Marvel's Spider-Man and Super Smash Bros are available as part of $10 subs, they sell significantly less at full-price than they would without.

I know there's an argument for recurring revenue and stuff like that, but I just don't see how cheap subs can significantly drive full-price game sales without simultaneously impeding them.

Oct 25, 2017

man that's just putting salt on the wound

I never really bought this idea that Game Pass increases sales to be honest. I know there's more evidence to the contrary that people will throw at me, but I think if Marvel's Spider-Man and Super Smash Bros are available as part of $10 subs, they sell significantly less at full-price than they would without.

I know there's an argument for recurring revenue and stuff like that, but I just don't see how cheap subs can significantly drive full-price game sales without simultaneously impeding them.

Forza Horizon 4 and State of Decay 2 did franchise best numbers being on Game Pass, though

we'll have to see on the long term, we don't have a ton of evidence tbh

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Anthem was the top-selling game in the U.S. for February, according to industry-tracking firm The NPD Group. The multiplayer shooter also scored developer BioWare's second best launch month ever.
BioWare's best launch still belongs to Mass Effect 3, which came out in 2012. However, Anthem is at a disadvantage because The NPD Group's tracking does not include people who are playing Anthem by subscribing to EA Access Premier. That difference, however, may difficult to explain to publisher Electronic Arts' investors.
Heh.

It sold worse compared to Jump Force and lots of older games. For a heavily marketed $60 AAA game, it simply didn't do well. Maybe not in bomba category, but still.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Two surprises for me. 1. I didn't think Jump Force would be that high. As Huber would say this is another victory for anime

2. Legit forgot Crackdown was released in this period until I saw the comments here...holy shit what a sales disaster

Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metro is one of those series that will never blow up isn't it? Shame because the devs put a lot of effort on those games and their output is really solid, i'll say lack of marketing but what do i know.

Nov 8, 2017
We know Japan was around 100k roughly to date, UK is around maybe 100k (last I saw was 40k physical). That's an extra 200k from some of the biggest markets. Even if you double the US sales for PC digital, which is being super generous, you're still getting to around 2.4 to 2.5 million. It's just nowhere close by all known metrics.

We will see. Late April/Early May should be when we see the results for the quarter ending in March.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No real surprises with the best selling game and console. But Crackdown 3 not in the top 10 of it's own platform shocking.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Switch #1 since December is nice and a bit surprising.
No major software since Smash and no price drop/major bundle.
Should be a really good year for them if they get the lite model and a price cut out. Line up is pretty killer

I mean Switch being as much up yoy as it has might have been surprising. It being number 1 for these months is not. Both PS4 and XBO have entered to their sixth year in the market and are naturally declining. Switch is entering to its third year which is traditionally the peak year for most of consoles.